Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Eternal Crusade as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Blazing Zero posted:

if you pour money into mmo kickstarters or EARLY ACCESS, you deserve your fate

#albionlivesmatter

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Cartouche posted:

#albionlivesmatter

i maintain that albion was a good game :colbert:

idk what it is now though

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

jabro posted:

Uh, Star Citizen?

Star Citizen won't save persistence until launch, and it's launching with the features that were promised.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Lol. It's amazing how much juice you've drank from all these early access MMOs.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

jabro posted:

Lol. It's amazing how much juice you've drank from all these early access MMOs.

A ton of the functionality of Star Citizen is launching with 2.4 (item overhaul 2.0) along with persistence (which will be wiped before launch, unlike Crowfall). Even if a couple systems are missing (content-wise), I'm getting a fairly complete game at launch.

Anyways, if you're going to do a high budget Kickstarter MMO, launch with the full product. Post-release content is expected, but I expected Crowfall to resemble what it said it would be on the Kickstarter page day one. Not this "soft launch but at least you'll keep your progression" nonsense.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 12, 2016

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Alexander DeLarge posted:

A ton of the functionality of Star Citizen is launching with 2.4

lol

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I fear this is one of those times that the context and nuance of a message gets lost in the delivery. Whether you watched the show live, skimmed through it on YouTube, or just read a summary or transcript, it's important to remember that Chris was talking about an entire year-long roadmap for persistence while discussing the very humble beginnings of that process that will be included in 2.4

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

A ton of the functionality of Star Citizen is launching with 2.4 (item overhaul 2.0) along with persistence (which will be wiped before launch, unlike Crowfall). Even if a couple systems are missing (content-wise), I'm getting a fairly complete game at launch.

Anyways, if you're going to do a high budget Kickstarter MMO, launch with the full product. Post-release content is expected, but I expected Crowfall to resemble what it said it would be on the Kickstarter page day one. Not this "soft launch but at least you'll keep your progression" nonsense.

Crowfall and SC are doing the exact same thing but calling it something completely different. SC is launched no matter how many times you or them want to say it's not. They have something you can pay for and start playing. Calling early access, alpha, beta, or whatever they feel like calling it doesn't change that fact. They are launched and all those promised features in the Kickstarter are nowhere to be seen and won't be for years or ever.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

How much did you spend on space jpgs?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I didn't actually expect an MMO to be built from scratch in two years for single digit number of millions. Anyone who did was obviously insane.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Blazing Zero posted:

i maintain that albion was a good game :colbert:

idk what it is now though

im gonna pretend your probate was for that post

Orv
May 4, 2011

Man I always knew you were crazy but that's a new bar.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Not really seeing what the big deal is here? They had always planned to launch with only the Dregs campaign and basic EK functionality and release more over time (hell, I even put this in the OP), so this basically the same thing just with a more firm message? I mean, what they're saying here was my expectation when I put down money in the first place. How did you manage to get such wildly different expectations for a loving kickstarter MMO?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

A ton of the functionality of Star Citizen is launching with 2.4 (item overhaul 2.0) along with persistence (which will be wiped before launch, unlike Crowfall). Even if a couple systems are missing (content-wise), I'm getting a fairly complete game at launch. Anyways, if you're going to do a high budget Kickstarter MMO, launch with the full product.
Is this guy for real

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think after all his thousand Kickstarter MMO OPs he finally believed the one Kickstarter no-one escapes sane from.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Orv posted:

I think after all his thousand Kickstarter MMO OPs he finally believed the one Kickstarter no-one escapes sane from.

I can't tell which one you're referring to. Revival or Elyria? I only put $30 into space jpegs

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 14, 2016

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Hey A. DLarge, if I say I'll release a space MMO at some point will you give me a few thousand dollars? I've got medical pills to pay.

I'll include virtual towels.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Anoia posted:

Hey A. DLarge, if I say I'll release a space MMO at some point will you give me a few thousand dollars? I've got medical pills to pay.

I'll include virtual towels.

im going to bring in a space game art director as well and say hes super popular. how much of a extended goal can we charge for this

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Blazing Zero posted:

im going to bring in a space game art director as well and say hes super popular. how much of a extended goal can we charge for this

Let's go niche. HEY GAMERS REMEMBER JUMPGATE?!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Years later it's still hilarious to me how Jumpgate just quietly died and no-one gave a drat.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Of the handful of kickstarter / early access projects I've put money into, I've been burned on 100% of them so while I'm interested in this I will be waiting until it launches.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I've yet to be burned on a kickstarter, but I haven't kickstarted any mmos. There's probably a connection there.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

mmos are pretty bad.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

BadLlama posted:

mmos are pretty bad.

for now until they realize to go back to the drawing board and do something different

its like the history of flight....probably with the same amount of maiming and death for each trial and error

were just here to see how far this glider can go

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Yaaaaaaaaaaas Queen posted:

for now until they realize to go back to the drawing board and do something different

its like the history of flight....probably with the same amount of maiming and death for each trial and error

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

but i dropped like 1k for that glider kickstarter!!11 he promised!!1 :qq:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

but i dropped like 1k for that glider kickstarter!!11 he promised!!1 :qq:

Technically it flew. Thanks for the money, sucka!!!!!

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Crowdfunding is the only hope I have for the genre, they haven't made anything new for the past 12 years, why would they start now? Especially when they can sink a fraction of the production costs into a MOBA and hope they "make it big" and create a "LoL killer". Same poo poo, different genre.

Also why do they need to go back to the drawing board? They did it right in 1997 and 2003 with UO and Galaxies. If those stupid testing groups/dreams of being a WoW killer didn't poo poo up Galaxies, I'm convinced we'd still have a viable MMO on our hands. I remember between release and CU, they were talking about overhauling the mission system and that's honestly the only thing it was lacking.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

friend if oldschool uo is what you want, it still exists as free servers. meanwhile, normal people are tired of that garbage

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
How can people be tired of something that hasn't been attempted since 2003 with EVE/Galaxies not counting "hardcore PVP gankboxes" such as Darkfall and Mortal? None of these sandboxes have actually released (because development cycle is generally 4 years minimum and Kickstarter really became a thing in 2012).

Wish I could count ArcheAge/Black Desert in there but you know... http://black-desert.com/articles/black-desert-how-we-were-expect-it-to-be-and-how-it-is-now/

What astounds me to this day is how the genre didn't come back in full force when devs saw Minecraft/Day-Z become a thing because of the player interaction.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I've been beginning to think that the reason the genre hasn't come back is because of minecraft/dayz. Other genres have largely isolated the pieces of MMOs that worked best and implemented them. It's left mmos themselves with all their baggage and not much of an edge. You get your PvP and boss raids in Dark Souls, your crafting in survival games, large-scale combat in like battlefield or whatever. There's just less of a reason to subject yourself to an MMO these days.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I think I made a longer effort post about that somewhere in this thread, but the genre has sort of split in 2 directions where WoW and dayz are 2 halves of ultima.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Anoia posted:

Let's go niche. HEY GAMERS REMEMBER JUMPGATE?!

OH MAN. I worked on Jumpgate. Still have a sweet t-shirt and nothing else to show for it.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

What astounds me to this day is how the genre didn't come back in full force when devs saw Minecraft/Day-Z become a thing because of the player interaction.
Did you play Trove any?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Kylra posted:

Did you play Trove any?

another bad game

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pryce posted:

OH MAN. I worked on Jumpgate. Still have a sweet t-shirt and nothing else to show for it.

So many questions. Let's start with the obvious one; how many drugs passed through that 'studio'?

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
its ironic that the closest thing to a sandbox mmo is a spinoff of a mod of garys mod

and its profitable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Carol Pizzamom posted:

its ironic that the closest thing to a sandbox mmo is a spinoff of a mod of garys mod

and its profitable

R-rust?

I haven't been keeping up with the development