Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I tried to play this game, ended up playing on a shadowbane emulator for 2 months instead and enjoying every minute of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Radio Free Kobold posted:

i tooled around a bit on sbemu as well but i didn't like how it's basically a solved game. like, there's no experimenting around anymore, no matter what you want to do there's already a well-known optimal way to do it and it's been known for decades. if you want to smash poo poo with the big axe you make the minotaur, and if you don't make the minotaur you'll probably lose to someone who did unless you can outskill them.
that, and the interface is just ungodly terrible. click to move, and all your skills are buttons that all look the same :wtc:

e: i don't quite remember clearly but i think you also have to click the buttons. like, with your mouse. bwaaah.

Yea I mean everything about the game is a horrible user experience. There were, however, shortcuts and bindable macros - you just had to right click the skills.

As far as the solved game thing goes - most people playing are dumb as hell and honestly good teamwork usually wins over whatever optimal thing people think they are doing. Game is terrible though, don't play it.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

PriNGLeS posted:

I bought this like a month ago, it runs like a sack of poo poo, even on potato mode. I made it to like level 10 before I gave up.

On the note of Shadowbane, the chinese company that bought it in 2012? I think, is now actively developing it and its in beta. They C&D'd the emulator(s) about 8 months ago.

I have kinda mixed feelings about this. On one hand, the emulators ran better than live ever did. On the other hand, it would be nice for the servers to be run by a group that actually makes sane changes to the game.

Not that i'm likely to play again with how bigoted the community is...

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

PriNGLeS posted:

Anyone who idolizes shadowbane is broken brained.

Ok yes but in my defense

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Good thing I was never a guild leader of a goon shadowbane guild otherwise I would really feel attacked

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

insider posted:

Yea my entire guild is taking a break as they finally realized 'Hey wait a second this isn't a beta!'.

Game clearly in alpha no matter what they say. Still think its making more progress than most other kickstarted MMOs but that is such a low bar.

I think its worse than that for me - I'm not a huge fan of most of the stuff they /have/ added. They keep taking the middle road generic approach to everything - combat, crafting, gathering.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I don't think its a scam, I just don't think its very fun

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ort posted:

How does combat feel? Does the engine feel snappy for lack of a better word?

Feels good mostly, but they really need to buffer abilities instead of you having to time them with your autos

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I applied as Ipsum

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

Both ipsum and NH are in. I still own the game, am still around, but lol they are gonna have to do something, for real.

My guess is that 10 actives is going to be the minimum viable guild size

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Capntastic posted:

Yeah please be sure to post here or ping me on the discord if you apply.

I guess we're focusing on prepping for faction versus faction campaigns so get a character levelled and some cool gear.

I have no insight into builds or game mechanics so if someone here is good at games feel free to make a post.

Also I have no idea how EKs work and wanna set the goon one up.

Melee ranger seems good. I made a hammer throwing cleric and it has a bunch of funny CC abilities but doesn't do any damage. My main issue is i'm not sure I understand how damage scales. My weapon says it does like 50 damage but I do like 300 damage per hit. I only have 6.4% damage bonus so ???

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ort posted:

For all of the “releasing an unfinished game” stuff I saw, this game is much better than I expected. It feels mostly complete from a mechanics point of view, and really does feel like a modernized shadowbane. The world and animation style are cool, rotations are unique (holy poo poo blight bombs on arch druid are gimmicky but the most fun I’ve had in a video game in a while), nothing really feels incomplete to me. I hope this builds them some steam to do a proper launch rather than the soft launch they did.

My only issue is that it seems like you pretty much have to be in a group to do anything at all, especially in the dregs. Maybe it will change since I’ve only been playing two days.

Seems like at least ranger can probably sneak around, dehorse some straggler and get out before the rest of the group responds. I'm sure other stealthers are the same. Have I done it yet? Nope - i'm bad!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Got some kills last night as an alpha warrior. The fights felt really good. I wasn't convinced healers were that valuable, but I think when you consider how much damage mitigation can be laid down, healers on top of that can have a huge impact even though most of the healing numbers are fairly small.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

The problem with healers is they don't have the sort of damage mitigation that makes healing useful so if you don't have the numbers to stop them, half the classes in the game can just walk up and kill them.

Seems like protection domain and music domain have a lot of good disciplines for mitigation

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I've figured out the damage formulas mostly. Its very simple and very not apparent from the UI.

Attack power modifies the tooltip damage of most powers (as in: the tooltip damage has the attack power baked in). The scaling varys power to power and this is not documented. Many are base damage + (attack power * .5). Final power damage is always multiplied by your damage bonus.

Left click damage is the ( (tooltip damage of your left click + weapon damage) * damage bonus)

DPS? Hard you calculate since there doesn't appear to be an animation speed number for attacks.

Is it worth investing in dex as a non-primary attribute if you have a high critical damage bonus? For a few characters I have looked at, no. Strength (damage bonus) seems to always edge out critical chance. Please let me know if you find a counter example. Here is some example math:

code:
Wood-elf Frostweaver

Critical Damage: 175%
Attack Power: 400

Choice (61 attribute points):
9.2% damage bonus
16.2% critical strike

(400 * 1.11 * .833)+(400 * 1.11 * 1.75 * .162) = 487.7

OR

3.1% damage bonus
22.3% critical strike

(400 * 1.031 * .777)+(400 * 1.031 * 1.75 * .223) = 481.4

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 12, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Game is more fun the longer I play which is kind of surprising. The crafting is actually pretty cool and once you unlock the secrets of harvesting its a lot less painful. We have been getting some really fun fights too and its basically been super fun. I hope the population picks up though.

I'm considering breaking from the goon guild to form my own guild since most of the people i've been playing with aren't goons. Maybe we could form an alliance?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ort posted:

I am in the guild Corvus Citadel which seems to be quite large. Usually 10 people in groups even at off hours. I’ll stick with it for a bit but I much prefer smaller scrums than huge zerg fights.

I'm actually pretty used to running 100 v 100 fights in shadowbane and kinda miss it honestly. I think big fights could be pretty fun to run in this game and I hope it happens.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Ad by Khad posted:

do you think the server could handle that, even if the players for it materialized?

Likely not with their current tech. Maybe in a couple years.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Tabletops posted:

Did you play on test? Or the eventual test-like seasonal servers?

Not for any period of time, I really hated this game back then

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Zotix posted:

Right, but those are two completely different gear sets. Like most guilds are chilling in the dregs, so everything I farm in SkyPoint wouldn't really be used to advance my character other than just farming up the advanced gathering disciplines.

I'm using it to learn PVP

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I'm trying to do a deep dive on support abilities now. What are they key support abilities in this game (ones you might call out for in a fight)?

My current shortlist is:
Blackmantle effects
Purify
Dispel
Sanctuary/other protection effects

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Game population feels like its increasing. I'd love to see the numbers again.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Thanks! Must just be more that i'm seeing people active in PVP

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

FreeWifi!! posted:

Anyone here absolutely and completely understand all ranks of crafting?

No, but I understand *most* of it

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Capntastic posted:

We are going to be focusing on Dregs now.

US West.

It seems easy to hesitate and overthink it but I just hopped in and it seems like friendship is the beat gear you can get.

Yea, absolutely mess around in skypoint but also bring a dude to dregs even if its naked and level 25. If you don't know what to bring to dregs try one of these

https://crowcaine.wiki/build/tx4XGGmR0c6Up49AKHPS cleric
https://crowcaine.wiki/build/bmIPYHPZmq0C7hixXTdH titan
https://crowcaine.wiki/build/wSfCMutgkSR3zkxMjs7B support barb

More of any of these will be really strong. Or follow your heart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I'm sure most of those are great. I pointed to those 3 specific builds because they are built to support each other.