Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
Hopefully they properly address the combat smoothness issues. That can make or break a lot of games, MMO or otherwise.

amazeballs posted:

I was just sitting around thinking about all these RvR style sandbox MMOs in development when an idea hit me.

I was thinking about Dominions IV, a 4x game where you have really powerful spells you can cast that alter the entire world (or at least that's what I'm told, I've never actually played the game). I assume its things like a pestilence that reduces food generation but I've also heard of powerful AOE spells that can decimate entire armies if you research and cast them at the right times.

I feel like Crowfall could almost incorporate an idea like that into its game design. Worlds end and restart already.

When I daydream of memorable RvR moments its things like defending sieges outnumbered or having really close battles over key strategic areas. It would be pretty awesome to have another dimension that is barely holding off an attacking force until your mages channel some ridiculous AOE fireblast that kills everyone. Or strategically casting a global enchantment that targets and exploits weaknesses in an enemy factions resource generation.

Balancing them would be a task for greater minds than mine, but that's my probably terrible idea.

I'm gay.
These would be way too easy to abuse. Just like how EVE fights eventually escalated to just having a billion titans and non-stop mass AoEing everything until it died. It's not a fight anymore at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Usenet Magic-User posted:

I think in 10 years we will have some great mmos. I wish I was being sarcastic. Companies are starting to get somethings right.
Albion -- one server sandbox like eve,
Crowfall -- trying to beat the stagnation/power curve top guilds obtain

Other games are doing other good things. The problem is ultimately none of these games all together are very good and will fail. Being that it takes about 7 years to make an mmo AND someone is watching the good parts of each of these games, it stands possible we could see the next great thing 10 years from now. This in my opinion is why this genre is so dead. What is good and fun is a moving target and MMOs dig into the ground and hit the spot where the target was 7 years ago usually. So the 10 year thing is really to make the best mmo of today, which by then will be trash and we will all hate it.

I think you're probably right, but I don't know if I'll still be interested in MMOs in 10 years. I kind of hope I won't be.

Stormgale posted:

I mean explicitly the "Faction" Pvp of order chaos and balance necessitates intrigue from the balance side to ensure the war isn't decidedly won by either other faction
Yeah, it's an interesting dynamic. I'm not a fan of faction combat but it's much preferable to Abominable Mutants vs. Nords or whatever.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
are their forums still run like a middle school vice principal would, or what

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
yeah there's like an 87% chance this game's hosed

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Deki posted:

I still give it more of a shot than the darkfall rereleases.

the thing that amuses me most is that there are two versions

there is very arguably no market for even one darkfall, even with a company more competent and resourceful than aventurine. there definitely isn't a market for two loving darkfalls. especially ones run by a bunch of random indies with almost no dev experience.

i'm still going to give them both a shot though because i'm a masochistic idiot

Unguided posted:

I still think it'll be a playable but mediocre game that won't gain too much traction outside the preorder playerbase but will still manage to stay propped up by a handful of whales for a couple years before dying out. They'll probably revive a little interest by releasing a new game mode or two later on.

screenshotted so i can post this in 2 years

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

speaking of Aventurine, Im cracking up at their google snippet

not sure what happened here
sounds like their labored, heaving death throes

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
I'm getting some Shadowbane vibes from the combat and animations, for some reason.

Pavlov posted:

^^^ Wow that looks like a glichy mess.
It does, but I think it looks decent enough for an alpha build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

Crowfall is being made by the guy who did shadowbane is why, he even calls it a spiritual successor.

Yeah I know, I guess I just wasn't expecting to get that same vibe given what I'd previously seen of the combat and graphics.