Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010
I for one, am looking forward to yet-another-probably-terrible game to play with the likes of Kimsemus and Stormgale because Who-knows-it-might-be-good. I'm unreasonably optimistic about Crowfall, though. I like the weird systems they're trying to put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Kimsemus posted:

Zany, experimental systems in games usually end up in hilarity, as some clever goon almost always finds a way to exploit it to the benefit or our own amusement.

Example: Literally everything goons post about in the ST:O thread. Starfleet Dental is a hivemind of genius.

Oh, I know. I ran (quietly) with you guys in Archeage, after all, and back in the hugely distant past I abused DAOC and SWG systems enormously (mostly the latter). That's part of why I'm so optimistic that Crowfall's gonna be hilarious. And until then, BnS, BDO, and Camelot Unchained should all be pretty entertaining. :v:

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

malhavok posted:

Arrows as inventory items has always been a stupid mechanic, if you want different arrows with different effects just makes them separate powers.

I've been playing a lot of Divinity: Original Sin with my spouse lately and I kind of like the way it's done in that game-- Regular boring arrows and arrows used in skills are infinite and come from the ether, so to speak, but special-effect arrows (fire arrows, ice arrows, poison arrows, charm arrows, knockback arrows, etc) are items you craft/loot and carry around. I'd like to see it taken a step farther and see specialty arrows that apply a buff to your next attack, which can be a skill. So you could use a fire arrow item to add fire to the attack and then use the ricocheting shot skill to burn multiple guys with one fire arrow or whatever.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Kimsemus posted:

Again though, in almost all multiplayer instances this simply becomes an issue of minmaxing if you're not careful, anything that increases DPS situationally is always going to be used, but it's kind of a fake effort, since you'd have to normalize skills and weapons and stats to compensate for this.

This is absolutely true, but I didn't think getting into a whole game designy detail thing was necessary or topical, tbh. That said, if one is worried about balancing like that, there's plenty of options, the easiest being "give other classes consumable-based damage/CC/whatever options".

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010
If there's fun to be had this early, that is a really good sign. Means there's a core mechanic loop somewhere in there that is Good<tm>. Times like these, I bear in mind what I was once told by an extremely experienced game dev-- "Games are basically completely terrible and bad for 90% of the development, and they definitely look like poo poo for all of that. That is why you typically only see like the last 5% of the effort".