Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Someone already tried to fund the Star Citizen of MMOs:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/120873716/your-world

It didn't go well.

Crowfall is pretty sane by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Space Monster posted:

So I just read up on this game (via the dev blogs) how much of the stuff in there (dungeons with demons/high tier loot, avatars, named thralls, etc.) is actually already in the game (or will be, rather, since it isn't in EA yet) and how buggy is it?

Sorry, all development resources for those things were spent making the dick slider.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

malhavok posted:

Looks good so far, still not done.

Still more of a game than Star Citizen.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Maybe 2021 is finally going to be the year that companies stop trying to pitch MMOs. Magic is dead already. This is going to be nothing. New World has been scrambling to retool so quickly that I can’t imagine it will launch that well either. The new Lotr mmo is already cancelled.

The last new “successful” was what? ESO? After having to go through massive revamps when it also had a shitshow of a launch. Same as FFXIV before it.

MMOs are just a mismanaged mess on the whole and even the best attempts fail before they succeed.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

FrostyPox posted:

As someone who loves MMOs and has played way too many of them and is subbed to three right now and pre-ordered New World, I think the genre reached its peak some time ago and unless there's some just utterly absurd, massive-brained mad genius out there with lots of money and a dedicated top-tier development team, the genre really just ought to be abandoned. Like that old weird and probably not real quote "Everything that can be invented has been invented" only for real this time in the context of MMOs

You have to nail three things really well for an mmo to succeed and most studios only nail one (if that):

Combat - Has to be fun enough to be engaging but simple enough that you can autopilot sometimes. Black Desert had engaging combat to me at first but I just got sick of it over time. I like a lot about ESO but the optimal way to fight drives me and most people I know nuts. On the flip side, TSW combat was way too simple and could easily put me to sleep.

Progression - Goals need to be clear and feel attainable. Things being slightly grindy is better than heavily RNG. Retail WoW was a big failure here with the latest xpac at launch. Some of the best content they’ve done in a while but grindy with a big side of RNG. FFXIV does this really well.

Content - PvP or PvE. Either a variety of interesting and rewarding content or less content but it’s super engaging and rewarding. Wow always has a variety but only a small slice is engaging and rewards are usually terrible at the start of an xpac. FFXIV has less variety but what it has is very good.

Then there are a bunch of nice to haves like story, visuals, crafting, character customization etc. But most games fail to nail the fundamentals and hemorrhage players.

So far I haven’t heard any impression of crowfall that said it’s killing it at any of them. If you don’t nail at least one you are magic legends and dead in such months or less.