Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I feel like the OP is hilariously misleading because every time I see the alpha tests being broadcast it's just wall to wall lag and crashes and no-one who seems sane actually has any fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

cathead posted:

Did you miss the part where I said it ran pretty badly and had some major responsiveness issues? I'm not sure what's misleading there. I mean, it was very much a "does this poo poo even work when a bunch of people bang into it over the internet?" kind of test.

It was still somewhat playable for me at least, not really the height of entertainment but it was kind of fun to screw around with for an hour or two and see what you could accomplish despite the issues.

I took umbrage with "where the game was actually playable and not a complete piece of poo poo?!" and stopped reading because OP. :v: My bad.

But yeah, I dunno, this game has about the same chances as Camelot of not being a tire fire, so whichever lands less cocked dice is probably worth a little time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Korak posted:

Well what happens in EVE when this happens? Do players quit? Go back to carebear 1.0 space? Join up with opposing giant faction to get revenge?

Yes.

They all fail at those too, usually.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stormgale posted:

Bad pvp mmo crew checking the gently caress in

I fuckin' warned you about Crowfall man, I warned you!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stormgale posted:

I personally am excited on being the only gently caress grinding body crafting so I can make everyone be the hamsters

Yo real talk, if the hamster rogues are Redwall and not Furaffinity I will be all over that poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It is genuinely bothersome to me that you think I'm the voice of reason in the Bad MMO Squad. That hurts man.

Orv
May 4, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhQhH2VJfw0

Orv
May 4, 2011
Seems way more responsive and less finnicky. Of course, that's an improvement over nigh-unplayable catastrophe so it's got a ways to go yet.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I got alpha access as a gag gift for Christmas, maybe I'll actually try it tonight instead of watching Twitch occasionally.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So, forget all this MMO poo poo, just make like a 100v100 version of this combat test. If they can make it actually work without being on the verge of lag explosion all the time it'd be pretty cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah it's still a bugfest, I had three straight match starts where I just had a floating camera and had to restart.

E: 40,000ms package trip.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 6, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
I had a surprising amount of fun over the past couple tests, but I think I'll go back to watching from afar, there are some serious issues that mar any actual attempts at doing well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I might do a round or two in the US test.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm an insane person who immediately pulls the HUD name plates down around to either side of my character so that I can watch bars, AOE markers and stats all at once.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

A ton of the functionality of Star Citizen is launching with 2.4 (item overhaul 2.0) along with persistence (which will be wiped before launch, unlike Crowfall). Even if a couple systems are missing (content-wise), I'm getting a fairly complete game at launch.

Anyways, if you're going to do a high budget Kickstarter MMO, launch with the full product. Post-release content is expected, but I expected Crowfall to resemble what it said it would be on the Kickstarter page day one. Not this "soft launch but at least you'll keep your progression" nonsense.

Man I always knew you were crazy but that's a new bar.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think after all his thousand Kickstarter MMO OPs he finally believed the one Kickstarter no-one escapes sane from.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Years later it's still hilarious to me how Jumpgate just quietly died and no-one gave a drat.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pryce posted:

OH MAN. I worked on Jumpgate. Still have a sweet t-shirt and nothing else to show for it.

So many questions. Let's start with the obvious one; how many drugs passed through that 'studio'?

Orv
May 4, 2011
They intentionally courted the forumbane crowd to get them to pledge and once they got them they censored it because, oops it turns out a bunch of psychotic assholes are bad marketing for people who never experienced that flavor of crazy.

E: Also yeah, the game exists and is playable, but I'm not really sure how what they have now is going to turn into a video game that'll make for a compelling reason to log in for PvP on the regular.

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 21, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yeah probably.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The people who continually post never to pre-order and then contribute nothing else are infinitely worse than any bad game I've ever pre-ordered or Kickstarted.

That said, Kickstarting MMOs is analogous to burning money only in that the money no-longer exists. It's more like throwing your money into a black hole, doomed to an eternity of meaningless existence.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Kill everyone who cares about fonts.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Now put all the effort and time into finding an engine that isn't Unity to run your MMO on.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SweetBro posted:

The engine used on the client side makes as much difference as bun used in a burger.

Then why is it all so garbage? :colbert:

(There are a bunch of reasons Crowfall is currently garbage.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

BadLlama posted:

I'm talking about burgers dude, don't neglect your choice of bun. Onion is my personnel favorite.

I like a sourdough bun on a homemade burg.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh look, my interest is suddenly a magician who only does vanishing acts.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anoia posted:

Okay, but... Cannibalism? y/n?

Only if it comes as part of a robust Cuisine skill line.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Guild banner: :frogout:
Guild overview: Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart.

I actually tried to do one of the recent play tests and zero other people showed up for the five minutes I had it on my other monitor, so Crowfall is doing swimmingly.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Refund time yet?

If you're only in for $30 or whatever the game itself is coming along at a steady pace, it's just a question of whether it actually ends up worth playing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean do you even need to ask that question? Crowfall could be delivering daily oral sex and a thousand dollars and they'd be up in arms about something.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Look, it can't be a professional every time, they have operating costs.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You of all people should realize that some people have unrealistic expectations of video game development.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Meanwhile I turned my poo poo into some swank headphones because testing the game isn't worth the time or trouble, so now I just have a "when it's out" package.

Orv
May 4, 2011
At certain times of the week, if you paid silly amounts of money.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I love the terminology of heraldic poo poo because that's the only place in history sloths have ever been referred to as rampant, I'm pretty sure. Maybe I'm discounting those giant sloths they found out about a few years ago though.

E: Let's see if I remember this poo poo right. A sloth rampant on vert, with flaunches of amber, acorned in mercury.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 13, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
If the Shadowbane people were allowed to make horrifying crests they'd be of a racist nature rather than sexual.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm not going to google "swasitka goatse" but I'm confident it would return results.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They have a smaller hitbox, so since they have a statistical advantage the hardcore 1vX sperglords will all use them, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Blazing Zero posted:

i only got the 30 dollar early package or w/e. can i log in and kill mans

Don't think so, think it's still $100+ or whatever it is with the new packages at this point.