Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Blazing Zero posted:

friendly reminder, these opinions are exactly how albion online started out

Goddamn man, get over AO already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ahdinko posted:

At least youd get the game and own shares at the same time, rather than get just a game

:psyboom:

Orv
May 4, 2011
An email called "This Was Illegal Last Year!" is not a stunning way to get me to invest in your company Crowfall guys.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Doggir stop this, you should know better by now than to feel hope.

Orv
May 4, 2011

That is some low quality salt my man.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Imp Zone would win and then collapse into a black hole.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's not as though any MMO has ever released with fundamental mechanical problems, I wouldn't worry about it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Crows are just small geese.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ded game

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not to defend the good name of Crowfall or MOBAs, but it really isn't. If anything at this point it's basically a survival game. Which is somehow worse.

Orv
May 4, 2011
What's the money required to get into testing at this point? This seems to actually be getting there.

Orv
May 4, 2011

quote:

As a larper, I have a decent amount of real experience on this topic.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Trick question: What's worse, LARPers with 'real experience' or 'medieval combat associations'?

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's hard to argue with a skull codpiece.

That's actually pretty interesting, I was more aiming derision at the dumb sporting league things with nerds in plate mail and that sort of thing.

E: Of course it's a short number of rabbit holes from there to lightsaber duels so maybe everyone is stained in all of this.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 28, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
My favorite part is that they just built an MMA ring in the middle of some picturesque valley. There's probably a town just over the hill but that's really funny to me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The words Arcane Archer still make me twitch a little.

E: Also whichever one of you loving moronsfine goons is watching the forums, please let us know when they have a confirmed date on Beta 2 access, sounds like there's a few of us waiting to be low level idiots.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 3, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well, gently caress me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Turns out because of my original purchase date of a larger package that I then sold down to the smaller one I got an invite for this weekend. Anyone have any plans to do stuff this weekend as a group? Solo play seems like a hell of its own making right now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Cool, hit me on Steam.

E: Or I could get on Discord.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 11, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probably not? It's got a cool foundation there but it's still kind of enough of a mess to not really be worth long term play testing/investment.

That said, if you put in $45 (or whatever it is) right now, you'll have access to the testing in case it does become worth it in the next few months. If you don't do that pre-April 1st, you'll have to wait for a few more months to have a chance to get in again.

Orv
May 4, 2011
List of notes from the obscenely huge live stream.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My concern, and really the thing I super don't like about their design, is that you can (if disciplines and such support it), create that character, but instead of it being an alt, you have to devote two months or whatever to being able to step into that role. That's not fun, it's not fun in EVE to wait and I certainly don't intend to pay a sub for Crowfall even it it does turn out good, so it's still lovely here.

Orv
May 4, 2011

cathead posted:

They've stated a number of times that they want base proficiency/ability in whatever role to be something you acquire very quickly, with the longer/deeper tree upgrades being smaller incremental stat upgrades and such. If they can stick to that I think that will help mitigate the "I need X months before I can do this thing at all" issue.

Yeah I suppose we'll see.

malhavok posted:

There only difference between this and any other game is that your leveling speed is predetermined instead of having to grind for it. It's automatic leveling, it doesn't change how the game works at all and it doesn't make the result different from like WoW. You want an alt, you make one, and then you level it up. Having that happen automatically at a predetermined speed is not a negative.

Skills are account wide, you don't make alt characters and then train them.

And yes, I believe at this time the only benefit from subbing is training one profession skill and three class skills (and now race skills maybe?) instead of one profession skill and one class skill.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well, specifically to use the Shadowbane line of reasoning, you could train up and equip a scouting alt in a day or two, depending on the resources you had available in your guild and if your leveling group got ganked a bunch or not. In other MMOs, you can level to cap in a handful of days played and be geared enough to start progression in a handful more. Depending on the curve in Crowfall, it might take a month of passive skill training before you'd be useful in the scout role, during which time if you're not subscribed, you won't be training any other combat disciplines of any kind. It really does come down to how quickly you can become baseline/self-sufficiently proficient in a discipline/class/role and that's something we won't know until next year when they presumably finalize the numbers on skill training for soft launch, but it's something that concerns me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Doggir posted:

Yeah but I want to be able to craft mine and combats. I should be able to play the way I want and be good at all the things.

This but unironically.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

but... the economy... :qq:

No matter how popular Crowfall becomes, it will never be popular enough to support the economy they want, I can almost guarantee that. The majority of people coming from something like Shadowbane are here to kill d00dz not craft things for every other player in the game that has no interest in crafting. And the people that do want to do that are mentally ill enough to pay for three subs or whatever to be self-sufficient.

E: Or the other option of all the crafting people get snatched up by the super giant sperg guilds so go gently caress yourself everybody else.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 28, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah but you can deliver on the old style of MMO without being hamstrung by the terrible design decisions of the time. Character choice mattering is good, artificially limiting someones ability to play is not. Whether it comes down to the training actually mattering enough to basically make you useless if you don't sub/don't become self-sufficient is yet to be seen, and I still intend to play it, but this doesn't need to be the Pantheon of PvP games.

Orv
May 4, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Whats the chance of this game going to beta by December? Feels like they had to remake a number of complicated systems several times.*

*Their progress is still pretty good for a kickstarter game.

I think they're still targeting 2017 for the soft launch, but it depends on how long the CW test is completely hosed for. Decent-ish?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

What is their vision of a soft launch anyways? I mean, they could turn on persistence right now and call it a soft launch but it wouldn't be any good.

IIRC it was originally all archetypes done, disciplines in, campaign worlds, EKs and economy intertwined and fully functional. Now that the race class split is a thing, that might have changed slightly, but I imagine it's the same basic idea. Basically the general idea of Crowfall needs to be done (or they want it to be anyway); enter campaign, survive the four seasons of PvP conflict, take your spoils out to the next campaign.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TheFace posted:

For some reason the test schedule won't load on my phone. Is this currently 24/7 testing? Or is there a specific schedule?

Friday afternoon through Sunday night, occasionally Monday morning/afternoon. Some weeks are off, most weeks there's not much new to test so nobody is on. Big patches tend to get the most interesting stuff happening.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh, didn't realized they'd swapped over to mostly 24/7 before 5.3. Cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Unironically yes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

daslog posted:

Are you saying that there is a live server now but it's usually empty? Not a great sign....

The game, when you get down to it and get some small scale skirmishes going on, has gotten to a pretty good state where it's clear that it'll be fun and worth playing, when it's finished. It's just that people have been testing variously broken versions of the exact same thing for going on a year and a half now, ranging from fun but buggy to basically unplayable depending on the patch. Once there's actually a game there with some persistence and worthwhile incentives to do things, it'll pick up.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 27, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

Budgie posted:

I cashed out long ago, like I wish I did with Shart Shitizen. At least I spent less on star citizen than this. I had huge hopes for this spiritual successor to shadowbane and now, honestly I can see this game going the way of mobile gachas quite easily. Sorry, goons. The temptation for devs to go that route is too strong, and once they get there there's no incentive to change back to the old ways.

What.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zaodai posted:

That's pretty cool to hear. Wonder if they have a plan for the whole "server making GBS threads itself if a whopping 40 people play your MMO simultaneously" thing. That seems odd. Is it just a server resource issue because they're running small instances? That would at least be fixable. If it's just a netcode issue, that's pretty bad because you're probably not scaling that up off a rotten foundation.

Presumably this is what the Moongates are intended to solve. For a certain variation of solve. They still need to get well ahead of 40 before anyone calls this an MMO of any stripe, but once they do, Moongates between instances should allow for some amelioration of those issues.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Sure, instancing is a necessity in any MMO, no doubt. It's just if the limitation right now is they're running on lower spec servers to save money when they don't need a big population, that's easier to scale out of the problem by getting better hardware and obviously once they start optimizing things as you get out of the earlier dev phases. If it's a netcode instability thing, that's a bit harder to solve because you generally don't go from "poo poo netcode" to "good netcode" without just wholesale having different people do the coding (a la Battlefield 4 getting cleaned up).

Well in this instance they have actually gone from poo poo netcode to decent netcode. I don't know where their stopping block is obviously, but this time last year combat of more than four people was an unplayable lag show. 3 people to 40 people isn't a great improvement, but hopefully it's an exponential thing now that they mostly have it solved.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mux posted:

Have they added a stealth class to the game yet or talked about solo gank class options yet?

Assassin is the straight up invisible stealth class, Guinecians get inbuilt stealth (though it is meant to be less good and is currently finicky to terrible depending on the patch) and there are stealth/invisibility granting disciplines. As it stands, stats and general TTK are a bit too long if you're looking to be a TBC era Rogue just vanishing people from existence and walking away scott free, and Assassin is in kind of a bad place. There will probably be some range of abilities/builds that will allow you to at least get a significant or insurmountable leg up on people you gank when the game launches.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah, but stealth actually works now so maybe they won't see it. They'll still see it because the stealth and vision opposing checks start out basically equal without any training so you'll never really surprise anyone that's paying attention.

As for that kind of thing, maybe? It'll remain hard to really say for some time yet.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jamcreek posted:

Shadowbane was Dark, gothic-like and something out of a Doom-metal album.

Crowfall looks more Cartoonish. Atleast that is my opinion.

Shadowbane looked dark and gothic because it was old enough that the soup of textures was kinda that way if you squinted. It actually just looked like poo poo, even for its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Elblanco posted:

I've watched crowfall a bit since 2015 and right now I'm shopping around for a B2P mmo to mess around with. Would this be worth it right now? Like is there stuff to do if I just grab the $50 bundle, or would I be just sitting in my own little kingdom farming all day? I love the idea of this game, just want to make sure I can actually have fun with it as it is.

Still not a game.