Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Eonwe posted:

I still have my alpha invites even tho I sold my pavkage before it even started
Is this a brag or an offer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It's at least backed by 2 guys with lots of experience in the genre.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Huh. I haven't been paying attention to this, but I really like the the visual style they went for.
I'm a huge fan of the simple single tone textures. I really hope that it stays that way and its not just place holders. Modern games tend to add so many details that things just become a muddy mess. It sort of reminds me of TF2, just keep things simple, clear, and distinct. Looks really good in high res, but probably down scales well too.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I do like that there seems to be a clear emphasis on reasons to fight and giving PVP purpose. So many sandbox PVP MMO's fail because there is no actual reason to fight anyone. Others fail because the objectives don't actually encourage PVP. Thinking of War hammer Online here, the "PVP" was just 2 zergs avoiding each other capturing keeps from NPCs because the exp was better than actually fighting someone.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I think I made a longer effort post about that somewhere in this thread, but the genre has sort of split in 2 directions where WoW and dayz are 2 halves of ultima.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's easier to engage in pvp when you can pick a server that doesn't have many people on it, or switch servers the moment you're pked.

With sandbox MMOs, it's one server, so the guys spawn camping you will probably be there for an hour or two.
Spawn camping is an issue caused by bad game design. I really like single server PVP-MMO's because its that persistence and constant looming threat that makes the pvp fun. Once you let people game the system by server hopping, a lot of that gets lost.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ultima Online had a hunger system.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm assuming you design your crest. In Shadowbane you got to pick an emblem, a background pattern and then 3 colors from a big list. It's probably similar.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Pavlov posted:

The game Naval Action let you upload a clan flag for your ships. The goon flag was this:

The thumbs are on the wrong side.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Uh what

Like on top or inside or
For some reason I thought goatman was laying down with legs in the air. After doing some extensive research, the thumb orientation is correct.

Why aren't we talking about the duelist? He looks so rad and I cant wait to name my guy Stuart little. If burrow mode is what I think it it is, it's a cool excuse for MMO "invisible in plain sight" style stealth. I want to see a pic of him next to another class, I hope he is comically short.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Capntastic posted:

I'll start stretching
Make sure your thumbs are in the right position.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It's no shock to me that publishers would turn down a full loot PVP focused MMO. We haven't had a successful one in over a decade unless you count Day Z. The mainstream market wants to watch numbers climb not see gear lost.

For the love of all that is holy, I really hope they stick with the full loot plan. I don't know why Shadow babe decided to change it right before launch.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

malhavok posted:

What's this damage splitting everyone has been bitching about lately?
I read something about AOE spells splitting damage among their targets, maybe it's that.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

This might just be the best game since A Bard's Tale.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I kinda hate the idea of a random buff. Randomness is generally dumb in competitive, and how do your design your build or play style around something random? The other classes seemed more unique, kind of a bummer they aren't taking a risk on this one. Oh well, nothing is final now, lets see how this shakes out. And yeah, don't spend money on this game right now. It sounds promising, and they definitely have a clear idea of what they want the game to be, rather than just a list of features. Everything is just way too early to tell if its going to be good or not.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

When I said competitive I don't mean eSports. I meant any game that pits players against each other, even more so in one with consequences to loss.
Losing all your stuff because the RNG gods frowned on you is bad.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

That sounds reasonable, it still feel to me like this implementation means the entire classes play style relies on a roll of the dice.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Evernoob posted:

I've never been a fan of games where casters can just nuke and hurl fireballs on the run while dodging any incoming attacks.
Those spells they cast seems to have a rather small impact too, especially the auto attack.

But I guess the old school of casters being rooted in place while channeling devastating spells is gone.
Mana conservation, incredible burst and being doomed if a melee gets close to you has been gone since EQ/DAoC (and WoW somewhat)
I'd be down for this, but melee should stay free and fluid.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

If they instance anything, I'm done. Instances ruined MMOs.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I assume that once you are in a campaign you are semi locked in. Campaign s also last longer than anything that would be called an instance.
I also assume you can have 100 people in one place instead of a group getting their private farm zone instance.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Instances are just against the idea of an MMO. How is it Massively Multiplayer when you have instances restricted to 5-20 people or whatever? Its especially bad in a open world pvp focused game. Server hopping sort of ruined dayz, and having persistence between servers could be viewed as instancing.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Name the guild Pubbies, just so the goons ranting about pubbies is funnier to read.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEQD2Utliis&t=4175s

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The logic there doesn't make sense.
"So the real answer is: this stretch goal didn't actually create any additional money, it just created an additional promise (cost). There is no "money in the bank" to cover that cost, because the stretch goal didn't actually produce any additional funding."

If you say you need X dollars to make a game, than anything over X is additional. So even if the stretch goal didn't directly increase funding, you have more funding than you initially said was required. It doesn't really matter where the money came from, you still have more of it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Evernoob posted:

I've been backing two games through kickstarter. This one and CU.
Neither give me a very positive vibe.

This one has been delivering some really nice in-game footage and details about ingame mechanics, but their transparency isn't all too great and doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

CU is the opposite. I practically know everything about all the people working on the game all to the color of socks they are wearing and we get showered with lore, artwork, .... but I have yet to learn exactly how the gameplay will exactly be like.
I'd take the former. Bottom up vs top down.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Doggir posted:

https://youtu.be/VlCQ2pBob5Q
Idk man MMA with swords is pretty entertaining.
This song came on when I clicked this video. It fit so well I thought it was the actual music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VziVuWGVuCI

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Looks like in. I'm down to play Orv, I can also make Capn play, he can show us the ropes.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I like the old system from the TF2 design perspective. Each class should have a unique silhouette and be rapidly recognizable.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

malhavok posted:

There's going to be an assassin class yeah. The fact that they made Shadowbane shouldn't give you misguivings, that game had the best stealth system of any game yet. It basically boiled down to a) having a dedicated anti stealth class that was effective and fun to play and b) giving stealthers something to do during mass pvp battles that did not reduce them to nothing but stealth gankers.

This is one of the main things I loved about Shadowbane and points I mention to people not familiar with it. It was perfectly viable to build a scout that sucked at combat but was good at scouting. It was also mandatory that nearly every group, including farming or leveling groups had a scout, and that scout was never expected to participate in combat. Their primary job was to scout.
I'm really hoping they can re-create that environment, no other game has.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Taear posted:

I've never played a game - computer or tabletop - that's had the variety of options that Shadowbane had. Even little things like a Minotaur warrior with a spear was different to a Minotaur warrior with an axe was different to a centaur warrior with a spear. I really miss that sort of customisation.

Nor a PvP game that understood that you need levelling areas so PvPers have somewhere to go to start fights and that important things need to drop and have long timers so they can be guarded and also to foster PvP. Just thinking of Commander or Sanctifier there really.

My perfect version would keep the discipline stuff, add more that are actually useful. It'd also keep the realms from the final SB expansion as that made control worth more. But yea, wipes are super important and declaring a winner is super important.

Thanks! The last thing I kind of want to know is how important the purchased things are. So if you pay for those things in the store does it really affect the game or is it vanity stuff?
Did you go by Taear in the SB days? Your name seems super familiar.

My favorite SB story is about this guild Scorned Death. The undeniably controlled the sever and could destroy any city they chose with ease. They decided to set off a bane circle on every single city on the entire map at the same time with the timers set to go off on Christmas day. It caused such a panic that guild masters were going apeshit telling members they had to cancel family plans to be there and defend. SD didn't attack a single city that day and just posted a merry Christmas gif on the forums.
No other game will ever come close to something that awesome.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Out of Character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Isn't the grind just click button and go afk as the game training you while you are away? I don't have a problem when the grind is huge when that is it. What sort of grind are we talking here?
You have to grind mats to make gear.

I haven't played in a while, but last time I did you had to harvest a bunch of wood to make tools so you could harvest stone, so you could make tools to harvest other stone, so you could make lovely weapons to fight. Kinda like minecraft.
The grind was pretty dumb, as a fresh spawn it was about 30 minutes before you had basic gear and could try and fight.