Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

I haven't even tried the game out even though I'm in the tester group. I wish they would take cues from Smite instead of too much on Tera tbh, Tera felt so weighty in a bad way

I too think Tera feels too rigid but holy gently caress Smite has worse combat feedback than Morrowind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

I actually think Dominions has some good ideas for Crowfall devs; Dominions campaigns last about a month, one player gets really strong and wins and the game ends. There's a huge random element in terms of special events, resources and hidden magic sites you start with near your capital and when you play well + have decent luck the power curve is really fun and satisfying, but every game is a blank slate where a lot can happen.

I think the temporary nature of the campaign worlds frees the devs from a lot of balance considerations that shackle other MMO's - if there's no expectation that players will keep their Good poo poo permanently it allows the devs to experiment with letting players find Real Good poo poo 👌👌👌👌

The players kind of get to keep their Good poo poo though, or at least some of it depending on the campaign rules.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

eSporks posted:

This is one of the main things I loved about Shadowbane and points I mention to people not familiar with it. It was perfectly viable to build a scout that sucked at combat but was good at scouting. It was also mandatory that nearly every group, including farming or leveling groups had a scout, and that scout was never expected to participate in combat. Their primary job was to scout.
I'm really hoping they can re-create that environment, no other game has.

This might seem like a cool idea until you realise that combat makes up a overwhelming majority of the gameplay so either you have to provide something with similar depth, which isn't always viable, or you give them some ways to engage with the combat. Otherwise you end up with a mandatory role that amounts to sitting around doing nothing or worse yet, playing some lovely minigame.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SweetBro posted:

There's a name for games and modes that allow you to do everything yourself: single-player.

Sure. Why should I specialize into menial chores or a barely disgused spreadsheet instead of the part of the game that has actual gameplay though?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I'd play it