Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Oh hello new crowfall thread.

Has anyone been keeping track of the forums? That was the only fun part of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Flavahbeast posted:

I actually think Dominions has some good ideas for Crowfall devs; Dominions campaigns last about a month, one player gets really strong and wins and the game ends. There's a huge random element in terms of special events, resources and hidden magic sites you start with near your capital and when you play well + have decent luck the power curve is really fun and satisfying, but every game is a blank slate where a lot can happen.

I think the temporary nature of the campaign worlds frees the devs from a lot of balance considerations that shackle other MMO's - if there's no expectation that players will keep their Good poo poo permanently it allows the devs to experiment with letting players find Real Good poo poo 👌👌👌👌

I would make it my personal mission to have burden of time go off every shard as early as possible.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Lol poo poo on SC but yours post is a copy/paste directly from early SC threads on SA.

It's new and interesting and risky until you realized you have no patience and regret giving an interest-free five year loan.

I've poo poo on this game before, but SC is a whole other level of BS. This game is doing a bunch of weird, dumb poo poo, but if it was just another standard MMO I wouldn't even be paying attention.

The game will probably crash and burn from over-ambition, but some of it's crazy ideas might actually turn out good, and can be used in some later game.

The common wisdom with kickstartsers is that MMOs are the worst kind of bet, but if a bunch of MMO nerds are going to make long-odds bets that might progress the stagnant loving genre, I'm only going to make fun of them a little bit.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

cathead posted:

Ok, I guess I'm sorry I brought the topic up for discussion then! I legit just wanted to talk about it. :smith:

Nah it's a fine discussion. I kickstart games sometimes. I just got Darkest Dungeon out of it, which is loving great and the kind of thing you wouldn't see otherwise.

Kickstarter is good for getting game designs that wouldn't exist with normal funding models. Kickstarter also does a good job at showing why having a publisher breathing down your neck can be really important to get some games made, and made in a way people will actually buy.

MMOs just have a history of crashing and burning though, so they make some of the riskiest games to fund. MMOs are the kind of game indie teams are probably least equipped to handle. You're not likely to see too much new and interesting with out some new indie blood though so you're kind of between a rock and a hard place.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Capntastic posted:

The lack of complex ambition is why I think Crowfall is attainable, really. All it's gonna be is Shadowbane 2, which is simple as heck, plus a few doo-dads such as the vessel stuff and the rotating campaign worlds.

Actually that bit I think I was mixing up with camelot unchained, the other pie in the sky crowdfunded pvp mmo. This one still has some ambition issues, but they're not quite as bad. This one's more at risk of all the systems in its sandbox not clicking together right, and falling apart that way.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 24, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Then you may be interested in my new game Shitfarmer 2016. It involves hand-tilling a field in real time, then being killed by vikings.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

^^^ when the gently caress did we get that one?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Huh. I haven't been paying attention to this, but I really like the the visual style they went for.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

^^^ Wow that looks like a glichy mess.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've yet to be burned on a kickstarter, but I haven't kickstarted any mmos. There's probably a connection there.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've been beginning to think that the reason the genre hasn't come back is because of minecraft/dayz. Other genres have largely isolated the pieces of MMOs that worked best and implemented them. It's left mmos themselves with all their baggage and not much of an edge. You get your PvP and boss raids in Dark Souls, your crafting in survival games, large-scale combat in like battlefield or whatever. There's just less of a reason to subject yourself to an MMO these days.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

You forgot Untertale.

And you know I kickstarted some of those too man. But even in the kickstarter thread people will laugh at you for kickstarting an MMO. That's just how prone to failure MMOs are. And full disclosure, I've even given money to help fund a PvP sandbox mmo (Das Tal, I'm testing it this weekend even). But even though I've had a dev member personally discuss with me pretty much everything I could reasonably want in an MMO and how to get there, I'm still bracing for failure. That's just how MMOs are. They can go bad for all the reasons a normal game can plus a dozen others. That's why people will laugh for giving money them and really expecting things to come from it.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

See though, $50 is the pricier end of what most people would spend on a game that already exists and they can hear people say was a good game. I mean maybe you just bleed money or something, in which case congrats, but can you see why we might think you look silly for being such an ardent defender of throwing money at the wind?

I spent 35 bux, testing on and off for a year and a half, and you're still free to chuckle at me.

Edit: On second thought, if you're in the wind-throwing business, toss some at Das Tal too it's probably up your alley.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 22, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah it's here. Pretty dead though. I'm probably making a new one when it hits beta.

Edit: But to answer your question, slow but steady. It's an actual game now, just on a much smaller scale than a complete mmo.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 22, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Uh, fixed width best width you loving heathen.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Orv posted:

I'm not going to google "swasitka goatse" but I'm confident it would return results.

The game Naval Action let you upload a clan flag for your ships. The goon flag was this:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

its because full loot mmos always end in a scenario where new or returning players are quickly devoured and quit while vets complain no one is playing and quit

I still think it can work, and be fun, but you can't implement it without caveats. For instance, Das Tal (now "The Exiled" because lol what's name recognition) has gear bonuses relatively minor, so losing it doesn't screw you. You always have an undropable tier 0 gear-set on you, so you can't lose your weapon and be unable to fight. Low level gear is easy to craft, and worn gear only has a percentage chance to drop, with better gear more likely to drop.

It disincentives killing newbies who have little to lose, and encourages groups of naked dudes to murder experienced players to steal their stuff.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah then you'd only end up using aoes on single targets.

I could maybe see it working if for each person hit by an aoe, the damage to each is reduced by 10% or something, with like 50% max reduction. That might help with overabundant aoe spam in big fights.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

There are things you can do to make your RNG less random if things get too swingy.

To go with the dota example, I think some abilities used a special pseudo-random distribution for their RNG that adjusted the instant-to-instant chance of procing to keep the time between procs more consistent than a normal RNG, while still having the same chance in the long run. People tend to find that makes the RNG feel more "fair".

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I think the campaigns are more like servers. It used to be that a server was a piece of hardware, but pretty much all game servers are virtual servers these days so the contrast with an instance is murkier. In general instances in an MMO are bound to a player, or group of players, and are created or destroyed dependent on their presence. Servers are spawned by the devs, and just sit there accepting players whether or not any are on.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Stormgale posted:

World with have generic templates like "Mountain range" 1-5 and Plains + Town 1-3

These will then have a dwarf fortress like process applied to them to simulate the World happening, adding tombs, battlefields, stuff on top of the terrain (perhaps even altering it).

Thus 2 maps may have te same base structure of mountain range but one might have an ancient keep buried into it at the other may have something else

Ok this is the overzealous kind of thing I was worried about. Dwarf fortress manages this because it's been the passion project of an autistic savant for a little over a decade now. They don't need dwarf fortress style intricacy for their game worlds. They should just use normal-rear end procedural generation like everyone else who has non-static maps in their games.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

It's weird how consistently I see people complain about gank squads in games that are specifically designed to support gank squads. What do they expect these games to be like?

Also Toady is hella autistic. He develops the archetypal autist game. I remember an old interview with him where even the interviewer thought he was autistic.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

If you're certain. I had a lot of autistic buddies at nerd college, so I'm usually pretty good a picking people out.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'm not even sure I'll play this game, but I always liked Something Cawful.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Orv posted:

Trick question: What's worse, LARPers with 'real experience' or 'medieval combat associations'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5w2Mh6CyXo

At least the combat guys put on a good show.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Ok that's just loving silly.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I thought half the point of time-limited worlds and characters was that they could force people to specialize, and it was ok because it's all impermanent and you can try something else next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Depends on their versioning scheme. I know a lot of people use "1.0" to mean "released" for games, but that's not universal. For instance with other software it's also popular to use the first number to designate major updates, and the number after the dot to designate minor updates. Often major means breaking backwards compatibility in some way (so, requiring a server wipe in this case).