Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Oh gee this thread is back~

There's a reason why Eonwe took the old one into the SA public restroom stall and shot it friend

but glad to be here again :peanut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
I'm glad you did, I wasn't trying to sound overly smarmy :unsmith:

I haven't even tried the game out even though I'm in the tester group. I wish they would take cues from Smite instead of too much on Tera tbh, Tera felt so weighty in a bad way

e: checking out the big reveal~ thanks for the update

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

cathead posted:

You didn't miss that much, it was fun to mess around with for a bit but it ran like poo poo. I'm interested to see how their solutions work out in the next test.

Also it seems like they're moving away somewhat from some of the Tera ideas, talking about reducing animation locks and speeding up some moves, and adding velocity to some of the longer animations so that you continue moving rather than just stop and are rooted while you do the ability.

Thats good because Tera is not really skillful enough imo. Skillshots and juking is what makes things more visceral and adrenaline-induced . Not watching your character get punished while being rooted in animation. There's a balance to that though

Like it works amazing in monster hunter 4 ultimate because it factors in timing and positioning, and its perfect (perfect in that when you're locked in a potion drinking animation and the monster lunges at you, you rage and almost snap your DS in half :3:). TERA is garbage at that

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
crowfall is a scam

well thats my lovely vaporware joke

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Kimsemus posted:

The blobs will always have other blobs in the latter case, though. GW2 is kind of a case study in endless blob v blob dick smashing.

Except smart devs like Arenanet include activities for small groups as well, such as supply denial and supply camp attacking, and caravan ganking.

Perhaps Crowfall will have the same and accommodate both?

there will be caravans.

Check out this example that they're trying to envision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IolWGu7xFlw

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

cathead posted:

New article up about the Ranger archetype. Melee and ranged playstyles, but you'll need ammo for the bow (ugh). Hopefully her melee won't be too lovely.

Apparently you'll be able to craft your own arrows though, and there will be a discipline to specialize into that. I hope we have a decent amount of bag/bank space in this game considering all the bodies and arrows and other poo poo we'll be carrying around.

:eyepop: Thanks for the update

Redhead female rangers with green clothing is a must in fantasies

Smite's Artemis

Cassie from Paladins

Windrunner from DoTA 2

:nallears:

although yea, she'll have customization, i just find it amusing that this scheme is default~

wow a lot from this update too, so we do know that bows will require ammo, this changes up almost everything

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Stormgale posted:

I think they are going to use ammo to put ranger in a harassment role with a scout/skirmishing archetype (this is me probably talking out my rear end) but forcing the ranger to use ammo means that as an engagement goes on they lose alot of their potency, meaning for big sieges you bring a tonne and have to commit for that ranged superiority but you can also carry light and focus on ambush/harassment.

That would be the changes up everything part

Think about the one big issue in mmos. Complete Downtime with insane grind to endgame or full on nonstop ganking/zerging constantly in a zerg train all around the world.

I assume the developers want to gear the campaign worlds towards a balance where resources is key and the downtimes are focused on building the warmachines and planning to take strategic areas. Ammunition serves the economy too and it will be interesting to see how supply and demand function within it especially when transporting ammunition to strongholds is required to stockpile it to take the adjacent area.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pavlov posted:

Oh hello new crowfall thread.

Has anyone been keeping track of the forums? That was the only fun part of this game.

forums died out thanks to the iron curtain

sporadic updates and commentary going "woooow! so awesome!!" are the staple posts

I sometimes just post in announcement threads to tease Pann

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

cathead posted:

Ok, I guess I'm sorry I brought the topic up for discussion then! I legit just wanted to talk about it. :smith:

He's just being sarcastic, it's all good brah~

It's all about moderation really, you don't want to go Roberts nuts. Todd has a point about having more freedom, but as long as he is aware that even freedom has its limits and he isn't literally on a wild goose chase to find the holy grail of mmo formulas. (He kinda is but I think he's more grounded compared to Chris Roberts)

Afaik, the level of ambition displayed in Crowfall is admirable and not ludicrous like Star Citizen. There's no guarantee to Kickstarters or Early Access, now we can understand as consumerists why some publishers play it safe.

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 23, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Well it's also with the progression of technology too, so I can agree that a decade is a reasonable timeframe. Faster internet will be one of the most integral things in mmo design. Lower latencies as more complex games will become ping reliant. It'll be symbiotic and allow developers to do more with what they envisioned without the limits of such.

I've had the take away that lag is a very bad thing to have in action oriented games~

And it's obvious that mmos are moving away from tab targeting for mobility and aiming. One of my gripes in MMOs is too much realism at times, walking around is tedious. I really enjoyed Flyff, Age of Wulin/Wushu, Blade and Soul for being able to fly with your characters. I also always thought mounts were dumb and trendy and they used to be so popular that it felt like mounts were always mandatory for a successful mmo design even though they were frivolous as gently caress. (The answer to mounts was boring as gently caress fast travel) I just hope that developers can take away from that and look for ways to be more creative about getting around areas too, not just combat innovation.

If I remember in Crowfall, I suppose they are doing mounts but if they make item loss across all campaigns, a(nd campaigns right now are all incubators of some crazy social experiment to see what kind of meta will arise and what people will exploit or won't), the mounts should be okay afaik within reason and consequences. I also know that the Fae assassin can glide. If they can glide off a tall cliff and jump into an enemy stronghold, that would own for example too.

I remain stoic though, I've learned that it is....

too much, my friend.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

eSporks posted:

It's at least backed by 2 guys with lots of experience in the genre.

of which rates as lukewarm to downright betrayal (trammel, Pre-CU)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Space Monster posted:

Which of the two was involved in that? (Breaking SWG)

I'm being super glib

but I think Gordon Walton has been unfairly blamed for it in some ways but...

I also think he's got some responsibility to it and he does acknowledge this.

Gordon Walton also agreed that the forums should be paywalled to prevent disingenuous trolls like us flooding it with tears~ :smugbert:

So, I'm treating him with caution. I talked with him on slack once, he's an extremely bright person and super nerdy about it, not very social either so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because I recognize the potential and he knows he sees this too.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Eonwe posted:

also Pann is the shittiest moodiest community manager I've seen in a long time

I still feel bad sometimes because she's like an old lady who's stuck on AoL or something~

That's my impression of her. Internet culture is lost on her

ttfn~

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Honestly, the hopes of Crowfall resides on Todd himself because he's the Ahab of MMO developers right now, so hot~

Crowfall is his Moby Dick.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Eonwe posted:

LG gets posting on SA IMO, one of the only people who realizes that a post is a single thought, and then a second thought requires a second post

:eonwe:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
so I bumped the old guild recruitment thread on crowfall and linked it to this thread

ur welcome

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
nothing much really

just looking at the announcement threads and then we saw this

screencapped just in case the mods throw hammers for mentioning stds and roofies in a "Happy Valentine's Day!" news announcement thread

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
also yea, the forums are that boring atm

and we have too much free time

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
http://crowfall.com/en/news/in-a-brave-new-world-where-will-heroes-roam/

some news i guess :shrug:

nice skybox imo

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
http://crowfall.com/en/news/first-look-ranger-powers-ui/

ranger thing

"dont freak out about the interface"

i bet people will anyways

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
so a bunch of sad nerds recorded some vids and stuff

im assuming theres no nda or whatever

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/forum/50-crowfall-videos/

a bunch of em here, showing some siege fights and stuff

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Crowfall is being made by the guy who did shadowbane is why, he even calls it a spiritual successor.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Blazing Zero posted:

i maintain that albion was a good game :colbert:

idk what it is now though

im gonna pretend your probate was for that post

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

BadLlama posted:

mmos are pretty bad.

for now until they realize to go back to the drawing board and do something different

its like the history of flight....probably with the same amount of maiming and death for each trial and error

were just here to see how far this glider can go

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

but i dropped like 1k for that glider kickstarter!!11 he promised!!1 :qq:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Kylra posted:

Did you play Trove any?

another bad game

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Carol Pizzamom posted:

its ironic that the closest thing to a sandbox mmo is a spinoff of a mod of garys mod

and its profitable

R-rust?

I haven't been keeping up with the development

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's easier to engage in pvp when you can pick a server that doesn't have many people on it, or switch servers the moment you're pked.

With sandbox MMOs, it's one server, so the guys spawn camping you will probably be there for an hour or two.

that has a lot to do with establishment and time and money

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Carol Pizzamom posted:

yeah, it's one of the most sandbox games out there, it's server based so it might not technically be an 'mmo' but it's a real game unlike most of the things in this forum

you can't be a wizard, though. also, the game is stupid, but video games are stupid.

I'd have to agree

old rust was awesome until the hackers started flooding in and ruining everything

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ugh

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
how can you still keep this up for over a year when the forums are dead because of this hugbox

its insane :psyduck:

petty even

the thread topic was "Guild Respect"

and the OP was asking about "What guild do you guys like and respect in this Playtest"

playtest

its a farce and a charade for something that's designed as a competitive pvp sandbox

just imagine if it goes live and people start melting down over items being stolen and Aunt Pann steps in and goes "cut it out, be nice."

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 20, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SweetBro posted:

Plus ya'll mother fuckers here lack perspective. What needs to be done is in-game with rub them with our hot sticky PvPenis then they come crying to the forums calling us naughty names, and then Mommy Pann will swoop in and punish the naughty pubbies causing further tears and bed-wetting.

I like this fanfic so far :frogon:

Kylra posted:

*hugs u*

bless you :kiddo:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Orv posted:

They intentionally courted the forumbane crowd to get them to pledge and once they got them they censored it because, oops it turns out a bunch of psychotic assholes are bad marketing for people who never experienced that flavor of crazy.

Thats exactly what happened

And there were a few crazies, let me tell ya...

I'm talking crazy on the level of naked muscular guy jacking off over mutilating your corpse continuously in a primal frenzy kind of pvp crazy

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 21, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Blazing Zero posted:

seeing as no one can create anything better, yes

:sad:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
http://crowfall.com/en/news/powers-prediction/

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Hi so there's this

http://crowfall.com/en/news/crowfall-live-broadcast-june-27/

boy i cant w8 to Kappa and KreyGasm and PogChamp ironically at a bunch of bideo game dediners

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IU1cWEE_fE

http://crowfall.com/en/news/subsistence-and-the-chicken-ticker/

lmbo ok

discuss the ramfications

economic view points "its realistic and armies march on their stomachs."

ok go

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 26, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Todd mentioned food stores in a forum post, so food caravans could be very well a thing and chefs are a possible profession

Another economic layer ontop of minerals/ores could be interesting.

I am pretty skeptical and I know that hunger mechanics are generally a very razor thin thing to manage without feeling like you have to pop a thousand apples like they're on a timer.

Good golly, all this calories I have to burn after swallowing a billion duped apples :v: I'll kill everything for a month without even feeling a thing.

I hope there's no whack a mole hunger bar that you have to deal with, as it looms over you the entire campaign.

We know that the campaign cycles through seasons so it could be logical that the first phase, the spring is all about preparation and gathering resources, trading, raiding those resources to keep an edge.

Something something grasshopper, something something ant :v:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/11895-guild-spotlight-in-atcf/#entry284632

lol~

heres soem goon outreach potential :ocelot::grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Anoia posted:

Okay, but... Cannibalism? y/n?

strong y

i basically worship namira you see~