Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

cathead posted:

Based on what they've said, each campaign world will be a self-contained, procedurally generated, seamless world

Could you link where they said the campaign worlds will be seamless? I thought one of the major drawbacks of the Unity engine was that huge seamless Asheron's Call-style maps simply couldn't be done

edit: it's right there in the official FAQ, maybe that's something later Unity versions do better?

quote:

In terms of number of players, it’s a seamless-world MMO server, so the goal is to support thousands of players. It’s not a “50 versus 50 match”, or anything like that. The only limit that will be placed on the user population for each Campaign World will be the technical limitations of the hardware, i.e. how many players can a server handle? We won’t know that until testing, but we expect it to be similar to other seamless world MMOs

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kimsemus posted:

Zany, experimental systems in games usually end up in hilarity, as some clever goon almost always finds a way to exploit it to the benefit or our own amusement.

Example: Literally everything goons post about in the ST:O thread. Starfleet Dental is a hivemind of genius.

Yeah the funnest parts of WoW were the weird bugs and exploits in vanilla, like the Hakkar blood plague in every town the night ZG came out or when the Orgrimmar general chat server got overloaded during the AQ materials gathering event and gave me moderation privileges

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Most new MMO's are carefully engineered to remove fun

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kimsemus posted:

Were you able to do anything fun with your newfound powers? Like permabanning people from general chat?

I could definitely kick people and make other people moderators

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

My favorite part of DAoC's ammunition system was using strength debuffs to permanently encumber archers in place, I hope Crowfall adopts a similar mechanic

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I actually think Dominions has some good ideas for Crowfall devs; Dominions campaigns last about a month, one player gets really strong and wins and the game ends. There's a huge random element in terms of special events, resources and hidden magic sites you start with near your capital and when you play well + have decent luck the power curve is really fun and satisfying, but every game is a blank slate where a lot can happen.

I think the temporary nature of the campaign worlds frees the devs from a lot of balance considerations that shackle other MMO's - if there's no expectation that players will keep their Good poo poo permanently it allows the devs to experiment with letting players find Real Good poo poo 👌👌👌👌

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

speaking of Aventurine, Im cracking up at their google snippet

not sure what happened here

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I fear this is one of those times that the context and nuance of a message gets lost in the delivery. Whether you watched the show live, skimmed through it on YouTube, or just read a summary or transcript, it's important to remember that Chris was talking about an entire year-long roadmap for persistence while discussing the very humble beginnings of that process that will be included in 2.4

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

whats a really good crowdfunded game besides PoE?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Rasmussen posted:

I miss poisoning the baked bread and leaving it for people to find.

trapped boxes in town, weighted down with junk :allears:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

There are now some "officially supported" trading sites if you want to buy an older backer reward or sell the one you have: http://www.anshex.com/index.php?cmd=crowfall/index

they're currently buying the silver/gold/amber kickstarter packages at their original cost and selling them for a bit more. You could probably get more for them on playerauctions but there's not a lot of volume on playerauctions

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Lastgirl posted:

:chloe:

Jesus dude, I burned like a decent chunk of cash on this and never regretted it, I only like to pretend to regret it because it's funny to pretend :argh: at things because I don't get upset and I don't get why people get so easily upset about things but okay

but you backed in, then backed out, and now you want to burn back in? What's going on here friend, do you need help?

Anshex will buy your gold kickstarter packages for $25 more than the early bird price and amber kickstarter packages for $35 more than the early bird price so if you can get people to sell them to you for the early bird price it's a nice easy flip

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

they'd be both

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

small races should have dramatically smaller hit point pools imo

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Capntastic posted:

Of course, eternal kingdoms are not where the majority of the game takes place, but is something like the hub world you and your guild set up. It's all very vague.

Yeah I get the feeling Artcraft hasn't pinned down exactly how it's going to work

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

yeah Hero's Song worldgen is pretty explicitly based on dwarf fort. Trying to do the same thing with Crowfall's campaigns is a good call

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Crowdfunding is going to account for 30% of their total budget? This is a $30 million dollar game? Where the gently caress is that money going? I'm not 100% versed on what this game is, but I can't imagine justifying half of the development costs of something like Wildstar which is entirely content driven and had quite a bit of it at release.

Didn't WoW cost twice that before release day? Crowfall is pretty ambitious, I think making a game like this with a seven digit budget would be impossible

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

How is NPC combat/pathing? Are NPC monsters still in the game or is it strictly pvp right now

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

30.5 Days posted:

As far as the potential for the game, or whether I regret backing, the thing to keep in mind about the game is, we're paying to play during a period of time when even standard-issue early access bicycle fires would be hesitant to charge

Yeah, there's really nothing to judge yet. If Artcraft delivers on their vision it could be pretty cool but at this point all of the interesting systems that could make for a fun game are NYI or completely barebones.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

How does it work in EVE, are there no miners in 0.0 space?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Gachapon is what they call loot boxes and booster packs in Japan. A lot of popular Japanese phone games center around gacha/lootbox mechanics so they're called gachas

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I didn't play shadowbane much but I do remember that when I played aoe attacks could only hit a small number of players at a time and this resulted in sieges where everyone stood on top of each other to make targeting difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

is Lost Ark still big in Korea? I remember a lot of hype for it pre launch but I haven't heard anything since

also just eyeballing the VIP rewards it looks like the biggest perk is slower durability loss