Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I'm pretty hyped about this game, especially with the vessel system being explained.

Skimming the forums though, I can't really get a sense of what the eternal kingdoms are supposed to "do", other than you somehow collect NPCs to populate them. Has anything recent been divulged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Kimsemus posted:

Again though, in almost all multiplayer instances this simply becomes an issue of minmaxing if you're not careful, anything that increases DPS situationally is always going to be used, but it's kind of a fake effort, since you'd have to normalize skills and weapons and stats to compensate for this.

It also gives a slight advantage to classes that can use stuff like that because it can be assumed that most players will have that benefit most of the time, given preparation, while sword-guys or whatever don't have the chance (usually) to boost their stuff via some trivial preparatory function. Maybe add in sharpening stones or club wax.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I played in the alpha for about twenty minutes. Really wonky control lag (turning camera would sometimes flip you around entirely) but running around in groups, killing zombie cats and picking up loot seemed to work. It was all Shadowbane. Eventually we'd run into a similar group on the opposing team and the fun would really begin. Even with the control issues I was having fun picking off stragglers that would get split off trying to chase people.

Tyrant, the dev who did a lot of stuff during Ultima Online, was in the chatroom afterwards.

All in all, not so bad, but there's still a long road to go.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I'll be curious to see what sort of abilities we can slot in, since right now the classes all seem like they have a fairly decent spread. I imagine different combos will be fun to play around with, too.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Pavlov posted:

The game will probably crash and burn from over-ambition,

The lack of complex ambition is why I think Crowfall is attainable, really. All it's gonna be is Shadowbane 2, which is simple as heck, plus a few doo-dads such as the vessel stuff and the rotating campaign worlds.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Eonwe posted:

I think they could probably make the game but I think it's still going to be terrible because they want everybody to play nice

But I thought I was supposed to play 2 crush...

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Ya to me this is the 'turn' if they embrace it technically, and mechanically or if they do everything they can to deter from it.

It's an interesting lever they may or may not pull; since the game has a focus on allowing smaller groups to gain an edge, and espionage and infiltration is one of the most powerful tools there is for that.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

downright betrayal (trammel, Pre-CU)

Someone on the forums called him out for that and he made a big elaborate explanation of how it happened and how he realizes it was horrid, and basically how Crowfall is his way of apology. We'll see how that shakes out.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

What's crowin' on??

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Zarithas posted:

are their forums still run like a middle school vice principal would, or what

Yeah because they don't need negative people ruining the community, despite them literally forming a secret anonymous gestapo moderation team that all had strong affiliations with specific guilds (for a game that isn't out yet)

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Considering one of the core ideas was "as a campaign world progresses it becomes more Winter-ish and harder to survive" I'm fine with this, since groups that don't squirrel away snacks will have a harder time later in.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I thought Crowfall was actually making pretty solid progress. Are people that annoyed?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Guinecians are being worked on, any decent person's anguish should be snuffed out.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Crowfall is letting people redeem stuff in their pre-order packages for store credit on an item-by-item basis. If you had VIP tickets, they are worth $15 of credit each. If you had a package that let you reserve a guild name, that can get you $80 of credit.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Are any of you with a bunch of credits gonna buy a castle to serve as goonhouse?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I will get the castle with my credits and if people wanna kick VIP tokens my way that is fine but I'm not gonna make a loving website about it.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Blazing Zero posted:

is there a :staredog: large enough

I got that many credits from cashing in my VIP doodads

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

WE BOUGHT A CASTLE? HOTEL FOR GOONS?

Items can't be gifted until 9/1 so if people want to retroactively chip in with their dozens of extra VIP tokens that'd be the time to do it.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I have a gold $175 pledge, not going to get credit for anything but I have a small Fort.

If you have VIP tokens you can trade them in for $15 store credit each for the next few days which is what all the hubbub is about

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

What can you do with those store credits? I only have 9 months but that's $135 if I cash out.

Upgrayyed your fort, eventually buy cosmetics, etc.

I'm not really sure what the gameplay ramifications of having a buff as hell eternal kingdom is, really. It seems like you can get NPC crafters, trainers, and shopkeeps that sort of fill the roles that were there for Shadowbane cities. It also seems like certain structures give you minor skill training benefits or something? You can split land up between players in the same guild and they can build up their little areas in the way they want. I think that more land = more resource nodes for basic crafting materials.

Of course, eternal kingdoms are not where the majority of the game takes place, but is something like the hub world you and your guild set up. It's all very vague.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Let's get the $4000 Imperial Palace. They're raising the price by 3X so that's an incredible :siren:$12,000:siren: value!
https://backers.crowfall.com/#/store/78d8fe60-6327-11e6-a924-b544e0d47ecf

They made it so people can't trade VIP tokens until after the price hike because people were pooling them and getting those, haw haw

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

What if you put it on layaway right now

Naw, I'm fine using the credits I have on getting the already-ridiculously-huge castle

We gotta have something to work towards, anyways, right?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

BadLlama posted:

What can I get for my $30 pledge?

Depending on when you backed you might have a VIP token but I'd recommend keeping it since I don't think there's anything you can get for %15 plus the month of VIP might be good to have(??)

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Well I just mean can you use store credit as the initial layaway payment? It would lock you in for the current pricing for 18 months (and if you didn't pay it off, whatever you put in would then be returned to you as store credit)

If there was more hype for the game maybe but $4k of credit between however many posters we have here is way too much to attempt The mountain citadel is "only" $1.8k and even then I don't see people lining up to pool stuff so I don't think it's worth pursuing.

Edit: To clarify, don't put real cash money into this game, only use store credit you get from redeeming VIP tokens or "reserve a guild name" or whatever.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah I get the feeling Artcraft hasn't pinned down exactly how it's going to work

I can kind of dig it since not all guild members would be in the same campaigns at the same time, so having a Mother Base would be useful between shipping off to new campaigns. I'd just like it if there were the option for Kingdom vs Kingdom PVP or something.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Their trusted traders thing is a loving joke... $300 for that package? The VIP alone is over a grand in store credits.

Yeah if I had an easy avenue to put my credits to use in selling them, I'd've done so.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Hopefully I can stick my medium sized fort in your castle. It should fit.

I'll start stretching

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

eSporks posted:

Make sure your thumbs are in the right position.

I was looking at the "here's the walls you can place for the castle" picture and trying to figure out how to make the goatse into a 300m wide goatse if seen from above.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Draynar posted:

I'm looking forward to being a giant zerg of fail and splinter guilds and drama.

With goons cresting waves of different campaign worlds only to circle back and crash into each other, this will be very fun

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

http://crowfall.com/en/news/first-look-duelist-powers-ui/

Guinecians are inconceivably good.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I can tell it will be a fun game to mess with people in because there's tons of hardcore PVP orgs with military ranks

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Stormgale posted:

^^ Caveat that you can actually mess with them and they won't just curbstomp you forever

So they are literally WoW outlaw rogues, cool

Yeah someone told me that and I had to look it up and it is absolutely true in every way.

Haha. Oh well. They're still good.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

KJDavid posted:

Anyone in Big World yet?

I got an invite and will try it out if it is up this weekend

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

So I goofed around for about 30 minutes as a duelist.

Stuff that is in:

Setting skills to train, EVE style. Apparently these skills will train offline and (maybe?) carry over through subsequent sessions of this test phase.

Crafting and resource gathering is in, and it sort of has a minecraft feel. You always have a magical axe you can conjure to chop wood, then you can use that wood to make further magical tools.

I was able to get a bunch of copper gear before I got murdered by a three person squad. Felt good and proper.

The devs were in the global chat and enjoying the show.

Bad stuff: UI was laggy, picking up resources felt unresponsive, combat animations had no impact noises so I couldn't tell what was hitting or not. All easy to fix, obviously, but made playing kind of annoying.

As it stands: You can currently kill people and take their goodies. Core gameplay: Check!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Apparently you just can't see your own chat messages

The balance is kinda bad (of course) but the "run around, get doodads, sneak up and kill people" gameplay is there and shows promise

Also skills train when you're logged out: I forgot and was pleasantly surprised when I logged back in to check a thing

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Doggir posted:

So far I am actually enjoying alpha; anyone else in the test want to group up?

I can go for a bit

Edit: Patched up; what server are you on/name?

Capntastic fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 10, 2016

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Doggir posted:

Doggir on west

I lost connection and decided to be too lazy to log back in

I played for like an hour, had some fun PVP duels, snagged some materials. Can see how the crafting system could eventually lead to some fun stuff, especially once more recipes for like, defenses and stuff are in.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

KJDavid posted:

I don't know. Could go either way. That there is a game at this point is a very encouraging sign.

I think that even if the game ends up being just a bigger, slightly more complex version of what it is now with base building and territory control and the procedural mini-campaigns, it should be good.

And even if it's not "good", it will be "fun", solely because of the PVP externalities that make kicking over someone's sandcastle in any game fun.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Drakkus posted:

I got half the stone I needed again before my hammer broke, then got jumped while trying to craft another hammer

awesome game 10-10 can't wait for beta

I can't decide if a sprinkling of "safe zones" to craft would be good or bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

super sweet best pal posted:

Bad because crafters could just turtle up and build weapons with impunity. Instead they should have bodyguards. Free Market 101: if you can't get enough protection to fend off enemies you deserve getting your poo poo jacked.

Sometimes I just want to use the toilet