Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TwoPair posted:

DT I find your unabashed love of Jason Todd in the face of adversity strangely endearing, but I simply cannot condone someone willingly reading a comic featuring Joker's Daughter in a protagonist role at all.

To be fair his ideal use makes her more of a cardboard cutout for Jason rather than a protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is there much of a difference between Joker's Daughter and that one sidekick Jason had during Batman and Robin?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Die Laughing posted:

Is there much of a difference between Joker's Daughter and that one sidekick Jason had during Batman and Robin?

While the dynamic is very similar, there are a few differences. Sasha was a lost girl being influenced by Jason's ideas while JD is just being steered into the redemption path by Jason and Roy (but the choice is ultimately hers), plus Roy's presence being a new element to consider.

I wouldn't be surprised if JD becomes the new Scarlett though.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

While the dynamic is very similar, there are a few differences. Sasha was a lost girl being influenced by Jason's ideas while JD is just being steered into the redemption path by Jason and Roy (but the choice is ultimately hers), plus Roy's presence being a new element to consider.

I wouldn't be surprised if JD becomes the new Scarlett though.

... I hesitate to ask, but does Joker's Daughter have an actual name?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jokerina.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Joker S. Daughter

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Helga Laffsdóttir.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't know about the new 52 version, but as originally designed she was "Duella Dent", Two-face's daughter. She became Joker themed to piss off the old man, or something.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Haha, always Lurdiak with the comedic fibs! Also don't listen to him about Joker's Daughter's teammates, who we all know are Reed Hod and the Kryptonian Arse-El.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You got me, this is just like that time I had some of y'all convinced she wore Joker's face that she found in the sewers.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

DC ... :negative:

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Lurdiak posted:

You got me, this is just like that time I had some of y'all convinced she wore Joker's face that she found in the sewers.
SHE'S STILL WEARING IT

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, I like Jason a lot, and Outlaws had some good moments, but this...this is not good.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What is she so angry about? Who is she? What is her motivation? Why does anybody give a poo poo? That's right, nobody does give a poo poo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

What is she so angry about? Who is she? What is her motivation? Why does anybody give a poo poo? That's right, nobody does give a poo poo

Does she have any super powers or unusual abilities or skills? Serious question.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Any kind of potential for her idolization of Joker and mentorship with Jason being interesting is killed by how blank slate JD is. If you take away idolizing Joker she just becomes a random civilian. There's not much to explore with that idolization because it just boils down to "crazy lady like Jokeyman".

Even if I want to be as unfair as possible to Joker, he at least has a Hannibal Lecter style relation with Batman that gives him more characterization beyond crazy man. JD doesn't have anything like that with anyone and Lobdell isn't building anything.

Like, I agree with DT that on paper there's potential there but Lobdell ain't a writer who can fix just how boring/bad JD is.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Travis343 posted:

What is she so angry about? Who is she? What is her motivation? Why does anybody give a poo poo?
Marguerite Bennett tried in the Joker's Daughter one-shot (not the Villain's Month issue). I thought this worked well, YMMV.

A talented writer could take this as a springboard and develop her further.

DrProsek posted:

Lobdell ain't a writer
Ain't it the truth. :v:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dario the Wop posted:

A talented writer could take this as a springboard and develop her further.

Pretty good writing brought down by atrocious art and character design. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And then they had her get the face stitched to her own. Did Snyder ever say where Joker got his new face? Is it his original and thus invalidating all that nonsense with Joker's Daughter?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

And then they had her get the face stitched to her own. Did Snyder ever say where Joker got his new face? Is it his original and thus invalidating all that nonsense with Joker's Daughter?

I thought it was due to healing fluid that they both fell into at the end of the storyline.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it was due to healing fluid that they both fell into at the end of the storyline.

He had a face back at the start of Endgame.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Yeah but that's where he fell at the end of Death of the Family.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I think it just...grew back. :/

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Pretty good writing brought down by atrocious art and character design. :(

Yeah, those pages have some genuinely interesting writing that almost make me want to know more about the character, until I remember everything else I've ever heard about the character.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Joker's Daughter is such a bad idea it makes the Joker worse by extension, and the entire Batman thing, and the entire DC thing, and comic books, and America.

I would take a million ONE-FACEs if it would convince DC that Joker's Daughter is a bad idea that does not need to be done except in an extremely purposefully campy and corny way

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 4, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Joker's Daughter (gently caress I hate just typing that name) feels like a character everyone knows sucks but someone up high has it in their mind that this is the character of the future so it must work dammit. She pretty much feels like a square peg writer's are forced to jam into a round whole because it's their boss's favourite character.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
I just think the character's superfluous with Harley Quinn running around.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Joker's Daughter would own if it was like, an OG Harley Quinn thing but even goofier, where Joker has a daughter who is a teen rebel and he has to deal with her doing things like going on dates with Robin and getting good grades instead of bombing her school, and he's like "well young lady, your crocodile pit privileges are revoked!" and then she slams her door and listens to pop music super loud.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chinaman7000 posted:

I would take a million ONE-FACEs if it would convince DC that Joker's Daughter is a bad idea that does not need to be done except in an extremely purposefully campy and corny way

Joker's Daughter 66.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Joker's Daughter would own if it was like, an OG Harley Quinn thing but even goofier, where Joker has a daughter who is a teen rebel and he has to deal with her doing things like going on dates with Robin and getting good grades instead of bombing her school, and he's like "well young lady, your crocodile pit privileges are revoked!" and then she slams her door and listens to pop music super loud.

Would read this comic book. (Although I also liked Galacta, the daughter of Galactus, so my taste is suspect.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

prefect posted:

Would read this comic book. (Although I also liked Galacta, the daughter of Galactus, so my taste is suspect.)

I am picturing it as a cartoon where Mark Hamil voices Joker.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

See that sounds like something pre-Nu52 while we got the character that skipped right into grim and gritty.
Actually what was her portrayal like pre-crisis? I am assuming she was less so over the top crrrraaaaaaazzeeeee!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gee golly fellas, I'm gettin kind of sick of the Joker, and heck, Batman as well.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

On. board.

This would fit into the DC Nation shorts oeuvre perfectly.

Madkal posted:

See that sounds like something pre-Nu52 while we got the character that skipped right into grim and gritty.
Actually what was her portrayal like pre-crisis? I am assuming she was less so over the top crrrraaaaaaazzeeeee!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 4, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Gee golly fellas, I'm gettin kind of sick of the Joker, and heck, Batman as well.

"No one could ever get sick of Batman and the Joker." - Everyone at TW.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I am picturing it as a cartoon where Mark Hamil voices Joker.

Daisy Ridley voicing Joker's Daughter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

"No one could ever get sick of Batman and the Joker." - Everyone at TW.

Well, sales figures seem to bear this out...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrProsek posted:

Any kind of potential for her idolization of Joker and mentorship with Jason being interesting is killed by how blank slate JD is. If you take away idolizing Joker she just becomes a random civilian. There's not much to explore with that idolization because it just boils down to "crazy lady like Jokeyman".

Even if I want to be as unfair as possible to Joker, he at least has a Hannibal Lecter style relation with Batman that gives him more characterization beyond crazy man. JD doesn't have anything like that with anyone and Lobdell isn't building anything.

Like, I agree with DT that on paper there's potential there but Lobdell ain't a writer who can fix just how boring/bad JD is.

I dunno, I think Lobdell's taking her character in an interesting direction.

And hey, he will put her into therapy. That is always interesting to see.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Stop typing about Joker's Daughter, everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

-POISON-

• Locked thread