Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I would be curious to see someone do this with the NWN2 version of BG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
There's a NWN2 version of BG? With 3rd edition rules and classes?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wow. I got the steam key for Dragonspear and it has completely broken the conversations...well ah...it's insane.

That's all said by everyone in a high pitched Gnomes voice. And that Hill Giant is the guy next to the sunken house south of Berghost. Who is not a hill giant. He IS mad though, but, err...what?

The update for the full DLC (as opposed to 2.0 patch) has swapped every single conversation around that anyone says with what looks like a random line from the expansion instead. I think it's because the Steam version dosn't work with any mods at all, because Beamdog never tested it with the Steam or GOG version.

This says to not install Steam or GOG version of SOD until you finish BG:EE. Looks like I need to uninstall SOD, delete local game content, redownload BG:EE, reinstall mods (the ones that work), finish BG:EE (ha!) and then install SOD.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Cathode Raymond posted:

There's a NWN2 version of BG? With 3rd edition rules and classes?

Yes*

The same team is currently porting BG2 to the NWN2 engine

*Having played the mod, the trailer makes it look a lot more stuttery than it actually is

mauman fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 3, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Comstar posted:

Wow. I got the steam key for Dragonspear and it has completely broken the conversations...well ah...it's insane.

That's all said by everyone in a high pitched Gnomes voice. And that Hill Giant is the guy next to the sunken house south of Berghost. Who is not a hill giant. He IS mad though, but, err...what?

The update for the full DLC (as opposed to 2.0 patch) has swapped every single conversation around that anyone says with what looks like a random line from the expansion instead. I think it's because the Steam version dosn't work with any mods at all, because Beamdog never tested it with the Steam or GOG version.

This says to not install Steam or GOG version of SOD until you finish BG:EE. Looks like I need to uninstall SOD, delete local game content, redownload BG:EE, reinstall mods (the ones that work), finish BG:EE (ha!) and then install SOD.

That hill giant is correct though about night time being the right time for sneaking.

mauman posted:

Yes*

The same team is currently porting BG2 to the NWN2 engine

*Having played the mod, the trailer makes it look a lot more stuttery than it actually is

This looks so cool. Is it actually stuttery at all? I can't imagine an NWN2 mod running poorly on modern computers.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 3, 2016

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Floog the Beastmaster Floods the Cloakwood Mines

Oh hey, Yeslick. Beat it Viconia, your HP sucks.

...note to self, resting down here is *not* a good idea.

Baeloth clears rooms with blind fired fireballs...

Natasha dies, but Yeslick gets confused/spelled to death first. Sigh. Baeloth ran out of spells too, and as noted resting just isn't an option down here.

A two day trip of lugging a dead dwarf to town later...

gently caress off Yeslick, we're only here because of you to begin with!

The Battle Horrors slowly get whittled down and killed with Magic Missiles. Davaeorn dies after inexplicably deciding it would be a good idea to chase after Baeloth hitting him with a stick rather than cast things. Okay then.

Fwoosh.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Cathode Raymond posted:

This looks so cool. Is it actually stuttery at all? I can't imagine an NWN2 mod running poorly on modern computers.

With an average modern computer, no it won't stutter at all. I have no idea why the trailer looks that bad when the actual product looks stupidly good.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

For this I shadowkeeper'd an Elven mage/thief to Dwarf, adjusted the saves and stats, and summoned a familiar. Mods in play are:

bg1 unfinished business
bg1 npc project
sc stratagems
bg1 romantic encounters
bg tweak anthology
house of sim tweak pack
super ultimate portrait pack
bg randomizer

edit: bleh, apparently my screenshot thing wasnt working.

cleared candlekeep
got diamond and gorion's notes
got chased by multiple wolves and 2 dozen gibberlings
stripped imeon, montaron, xzar, jaheria, khalid, tiax, and kagain of all their stuff and sold it
bought some new spells and a gem bag, grabbed the pantallons
robbed a bunch of houses in beregost (and got chased by a Flaming Fist for half the map)
ran from a pack of gnolls at the temple
had the neat idea of going to mutamin's garden (with 3 prot v petr spells loaded)
forgot about the gnolls. most recent screenshot was running from 3 gnolls, 2 lesser basilisk, and 1 greater :v:

still level 1/1 M/T

edit 2:

went north, grabbed joia's flamedance ring. I think Im getting better at understanding how to run a solo mage/thief, its sleep/coupdegrace/sling for the most part.
stealthed my past the ankhegs and got the loot pile, turned in the farmers son. then grabbed the bowl for the priestess of umberlee.
I attempted to do the zombie mission, but the questgiver 'didnt like the look of me' :v:
I've found melicamp the chicken, but havent been able to kill a skelly yet. mostly its fleeing in terror from multiple packs of gnolls and skellies, they even followed me into high hedge.

2/3 M/T

edit3: okay, got some screen shots

decided to start farming at the crossroads

Sleep!

Run out of sleep, sword broke

Running around using a sling for 20 minutes

Seriously, the whole map is like this. Maybe I can handle High Hedge?

RUN AWAY

edit: Taking a break to kill an assassin. 'blindness' is hilarious, even if I could only hit him on a 20.

can I take High Hedge yet?

nope

SERIOUSLY?

bwhahha, leveled up and got glitterdust. Now I just need to run around and

oh :( Thus Kina dies to spiders, a 3/4 M/T

Loel fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 11, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kina SecondStrangler.

I added a new mod (iispellsystemadjustments) to make the game a bit more tolerable. Otherwise same plan.

flamedance

sleep

running very quickly

and Beregost.

Know whats funny?

Fireball

and a magic missile. this gets me sling +1

killing ogrillions

... which gives me ring prot +1

farming hobgobs

TOO MANY HOBGOBS

fireball

which gives me boots of stealth

elite hobgobs are dicks, I used all my potions on this fight

and finally, some zombie hunting.

one cloak of nondetection cest vous plais

looks like I can handle high hedge! :D

ghasts take forever though

you know what you signed up for. -1 melicamp

buy every spell in high hedge? I think I will. also, a scroll case.

kina is MT 4/5

Loel fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 11, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

mauman posted:

With an average modern computer, no it won't stutter at all. I have no idea why the trailer looks that bad when the actual product looks stupidly good.

They must do their trailers reverse-E3 style.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Treading lightly in the Temple zone

Cleared Temple, explored a bit of Ulcaster. Check out the welcoming comittee

And their friends

Fireball One

Fireball Two

I didn't get screen shots of the next bit, found a squad of elite Hobgobs. Immune to sleep and with poison arrows. I fled the map with ~5 hp. Still 4/5 MT

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Joe Average's back with a vengeance!

Whatever chump, your buddy in the Underdark said the same thing. "Oh you might have cleared on your own an entire loving mind flayer city that we cowardly fled from but that doesn't mean you can beat us!!" Yes, yes it does. Thanks for the silver sword, by the way.

The De'Arnise Keep area is one of two places I can reliably trigger the Dermin ambush. This is my first time through the EE though, maybe they made it easier to get. Dermin and his buddies are pushovers by chapter 6.

After having to kill her old friend and mentor, Joe successfully cheered Jaheira up a little!

Almost forgot to pawn Yoshimo's heart. Nice chunk of exp.

You got your wish, Mzbundifund. Joe swung the equalizer around for a while! Until I realized he has 0 pips in long swords.

I never did finish the Umar Hill quest so back to the decreipt Amaunator temple I went. There was a lich there, had to duck out and wait for its protection from magical weapons to wear out before going back in with true seeing and beating it to death.

Just after the Shade Lord got destroyed in like, 2 rounds, *someone* decided to show up.

What did he give Jaheira? Oh, just this little thing. It gives +5 to saves vs spells, no biggie.

The shadow dragon only had time to cast stoneskin before immediately dying.

On the way back to turn the quest in, Joe decided to check up on the kids he gave booze and swords to.

On the way to collect the final piece of Crom Faeyr, a little accident happened. Minsc got crit twice in a row and died to brain drain. No big deal, I just rod of rez'ed him and reequipped everything except his armor. What I forgot to do is recast chaotic commands on him, so he, uh, succumbed to enemy influence. Fortunately, Minsc and mind flayers are too stupid to open doors, so it was only a matter of waiting a minute of so for the domination to wear off.

Joe's dual wielding the equalizer and Crom Faeyr now! (still haven't realized yet that he has no proficiency in long swords)

The last major quest to wrap up was the planar prison. I freed to thralls to soften the warden up (and more importantly make him waste his dangerous spells on them), buffed up and bum rushed him.

Minsc took a bit of a beating but otherwise Bodhi went down without incident.

I almost skipped the twisted rune but decided to go for it. The lich didn't have time to get a single spell off other than its 2 contingencies, and the beholder almost immediately petrified itself off Jaheira's shield of Balduran. The flying chunks are the third guy, I forgot what he even does. He dies so fast.

Now that the mage was alone and somehow not aggroed, she'd go down fast. There was a 5th enemy, a vampire? I don't remember that. Doesn't really matter though. She kissed Minsc's improved mace of disruption.

I gotta say I dig the new look of the staff of the magi.

Next up, Suldanesselar!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Didnt realize ogres were affected by sleep. That makes the Lonely Peaks considerably easier.

First time I actually saved the cow

I gave bears double speed for some reason I thought was hilarious at the time. Pictured: me fleeing in terror

Never noticed the tree guy before

3 souped up bandits and their 2 pet dreadwolves

Actually had to flee from the arrows. (did kill them later, just needed to heal first)

And finally, killed Greywolf for his delicious sword.

Kina is 5/6 MT. Current gear:

Sling +1 from Silke
Sword +2 from Greywolf
Cloak of Nondetection from Tasloi
Ring of Prot +1 from Marianne
Ring of Human Influence from random NPC dialogue
Ring of Freedom of Action pickpocketed from Dushai
Edwin's Necklace, Shadowkeeper
Boots of Stealth from Hobgoblin
Wand of Fire from Ankheg Nest
Wand of Magic Missiles from Imoen
Scroll Case/Gem Case

edit: Man, level 5M is fun. See a group of trash mobs, fireball :D

Goddamn but Winter Wolves are awful. I had to break line of sight whenever they held still, then pop out and magic missile them.

Let's try out all the new buffs. Woo! I seperated the slimes and then just sworded them to death.

Oh no :( He hit me with emotion, summoned dogs, and that was that. RIP Kina II, 5/6 MT

Loel fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 12, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kina Three. Just did a gear rush to get where I was prior.

3/4 MT

edit:

Okay, some bears followed me in

STOP IT BEARS

Funnily enough, while they let the skellies in, they also kept them in, so when I got out I only had to fight 1-2 at a time.

MELICAMP LIVES

And, leveled. 5/6 MT

Edit 2: bwhahahahahha, level 5 is so ridiculously OP.

step 1: enter map
step 2: cast protection from fire
step 3: fireball everything

I've gotten more XP in an hour than in the previous ten. It'd reduced double and triple pulls into something trivial.

edit 3: gnoll fortress cleared, 6/7 MT

edit 4: Swordcoast cleared, 7/8 MT

Hm. May need to buy potions.

edit 5: K, bought a bunch of potions. Invisibility, magic shielding, mind focusing, power, and scrolls of prevent poison.

Super-buff. Costs like 5-10kgp each time though :negative:

I remember you...

That involved a certain amount of satisfaction I will say

And level. 8/8

Loel fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 14, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average charges headfirst into Suldanesselar!

I cleared the temple first so the leaf dude won't steal mah XP's.

Seriously though how the hell are you supposed to fight adamantite golems without cheesing them?

Priestess rescued, girdle of 20 strength acquired.

Welp Joe's about to die to the dragon. I remembered him being a total pushover, I guess I confused him with the shadow dragon?

Nevermind, saved by the rod of resurrection (for like the 30th time).

Yeesh, that was too close.

Leaf dude summoned.

Unlike the dragon, I remember Irenicus perfectly. Chaotic commands for maze. Death ward for wail of the banshee and power word kill. Protection from magical energy for horrid wilting. Cast breach twice to get past his spell shield.

Yep, Joe sure did.

Hmm, Hell. It can't be -that- bad. The prime material plane is full of lunatics.

*sigh* The fear trial. Normally you can just use resist fear and take the path that isn't filled with beholders to the tear, but I guess that was a "bug" that was "fixed". Now my party is running around like headless chickens in the middle of 3 elder orbs. GG.

Or not? Imoen regained control very quickly and kept everyone alive with the rod of rez. I miraculously avoided losing anyone to petrification/imprisonment/death ray/what have you. Now that's lucky.

You still suck bro.

Slayer Irenicus and his posse showed up.

His demon buddies died very quickly so he started teleporting around.

And around.

About time. He stayed at near death for several hundred points worth of damage.

Too bad Joe can't stay in the Abyss. At least the creatures there don't pretend to be sane.

Look dad, I have high level abilities now!

Honors earned: Ironman, Purist, Gaxkang's a Wuss, Legendary Arms, Roleplayer, Honorable Trader (disregard if pickpocketing the ring of regeneration counts as stealing wares from merchants)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Nicely done! :D

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I put a Prot v Fire on the cow, but it was still ungrateful when I fireballed it

Figured I could take the mightiest of the Ogre-Magi

Nope. Ran like hell

Sure are a lot of mobs down here

fireball

Heh heh. This ogre magi wasn't so bad.

I actually magic missiled this guy so hard the body vanished

Ichyard is ridiculously OP.

RUN AWAY

Ran out of buffs right as I pulled more guys. Ichyard lost me though

The SCS Dread Wolf is amazingly fun. He kept doing howls (horror effect) and spawning wargs. I probably killed 20 of the things.

Always ambush the spellcaster :D

9th level Mage. Now I can use cloudkill :getin:

Mercenaries...

meet Cloudkill

I went to get treasure and these gnolls aggro'ed, rushed right threw the cloudkill to get me :v:

Basilisks do their save vs death on me, then I do mine on them :D

whatthefuckspiders

Cloudkill ambush :D

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

maybe if I come back later, with different spells?

gently caress. Im going to try the cloakwood instead.

quiet.... almost too quiet

loving SPIDERS

ETTERCAPS

SO MANY SPIDERS

ending with an odd dialogue thing

Anticlimactic, too. cloudkill, fireball, fini.

Wyvryns didn't even land a hit. Hm, do I want to do Durlag's, or actually do the main quests?

lol I never actually did this bounty hunter. main quests it is.

or this one.

...fireball

awgh, fresh meat

he fireballed the area, so I could cloudkill without rep worries

he lasted a surprisingly long time

its normal to throw cloudkills in doors, right?

wait... we are in an ambush

you are fools if you would trust my benevolence

ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLE

ah. you are. good.

really, you know what Im going to do at this point.

bwhahahahahaha. I talked with Endar Sai, and afterwards he walked into the cloudkill. Idiot.

So SCS activates the whole bandit camp when you step outside

prepatory cloudkill

and on the other flank

pulled the miniboss out of sight of the others

fireball

begin the looting!

oh. there is ... a lot of them. (not seen, they got me badly wounded and kept interrupting my casting)

getting a better position

fireball

checking the bodies

we are in an ambush

yeah, you know what happens. Ive actually started making a collection of bounty hunter notices, I read them each night.

I cloudkilled the bounty hunters in the cloakwood and they hit me with chaos. most :ohdear: moment so far.

Ran around the lake, shooting spells. Found another encounter group, and they started chasing me as well.

RUN AWAY

back in we go. I got my fear off before he could.

running from his friends. switching between quick buffs and cloud kills

web and cloudkill

another squad from the other side

lead them into the web

oh. the caster is still alive. I thought the cloudkills got him

I tried a melf's acid arrow, but SCS makes buffs instant

oh no :(

Loel fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 14, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

grab items

farm XP (Im using potions of mind shielding for the saves, and otherwise just plinking them with magic missile/melf/fireball)

Only 200 sirines to go :negative:

Then I'm buying the claw of kaz, the belt of inertia, and an ioun stone regen, and we're getting this party started.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Cloudkill

Turns out cloudkill on Tavok provokes the whole village :v:

Clearing the patrols around the Cloakwood Mines

Nother Patrol

Yup

Leveled

Pulling the bounty hunters

Dire charm and spiders to distract them

Cloudkil

Web

One to go

(I left the map and recharged spells here)

The ol lightning rebound trick

yup

Off map cloudkill

I did a second cloudkill, he approached and minor sequenced a web/stinking cloud on himself. I finished the room with a fireball.

Lignting bolt!

10/11 MT

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
BG1 gets pretty easy if you leave it uncapped :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

theshim posted:

BG1 gets pretty easy if you leave it uncapped :v:

Never played it uncapped, this is still fun to me :v:

And, Ive still died occasionally :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

surprise motherfucker

web, cloudkill

one survivor

lightning bolt

buy every spell? I think I will

I just love killin

and fireball finishes them off. lets go find some more mages!

yup, that did it. had to pay 500 gp for the dead nymph though

went in full buffed, did a sequence magic missile. ended up not needing the buffs :v:

I pulled like 6 mages at once, it was pretty wild

this guy got a spook and enfeeble on me, but waited outside the web/cloudkill and I recovered

this one got a spook spell off on me, but didnt follow up. half this series is just being lucky :v:

and then he helpfully stood with no buffs in the next hallway! :D

lightning bolt

got blinded in this fight

lightning bolt. Im out of mages to kill... onto Durlag's!

easier than I remember. lightning bolt, 2 magic missiles.

'your time is at an end, primate....! aughghhhh'

lol I got a poison trap after I cleared the level of ghasts

doppels are fun

lol zombies. fireball!

guess how long it took to sword two slimes. guess.

No leveling this time, still 10/11 MT

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Preparing the battlefield

Probably should leave the battlefield

you are doing great guys! keep it up!

Fear chased me all the way to the drawbridge

webs

and skulltraps

ready

this isnt going well at all

stair trick, rest and recharge

fireshield is my new favorite spell. all I had to do was keep my buffs up and he did the rest

and the occasional magic missile

killed Avarice with a firebreath potion, oddly enough

Leveled

and ... killed Avarice again? that's weird. been getting the odd double spawns like that, the exploding ogre did it too.

get the doppels all in a line, hit them with AoEs

this guy decided the deathtraps were better odds than me :v:

fireshield earning its pay again

I found a friend! :)

stinking cloud is always courteous enough to knock me out after I kill all the enemies

know whats hilarious? making invisible assassins fight you in the exploding fireball room.

level

and so it begins

me using an invisibility potion to rethink my options

activate ALL the lightning traps! (turns out they resist them all)

attempted a fireball, and when they rushed me I went invisible again

turns out you can just walk down the stairs without needing to kill the king. this rook even followed me! :D

it didn't go well for him

what is it with these loving spiders

I just liked this image, honestly. its aesthetically pleasing.

11/12 MT, just have chess and demonking left. I looted the treasure room and killed all the ghasts.

Loel fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 16, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

uh. this isnt where I parked my car

first pull

second pull. not as optimal :v:

through my bhaalspawn power of 'doors', I am given time to recover

girls just being girls (im invisible)

sunfire

more 'door' powers

iM NOT TRAPPED IN HERE WITH YOU YOU ARE TRAPPED IN HERE WITH ME (yes there were like 4+ queens, no I dont know why)

nice party y'all got here

they wanted to take it outside

web, fireball, sunburst, magic missile. you know the drill

pulled another (!) queen to here, along with an archer

thinning the ranks

A WIZARD DUEL

he lost more buffs than I did

and minute meteors take it.

first time Ive ever won that fight without cheating :feelsgood:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average ventures into Tethyr.

Oh boy, cryptic prophecies. Never have enough of those.

You want to kill Joe? Take a number.

This is the first time I play ToB without Ascension installed in over a decade. Wow, Illasera is a pushover.

Bro, seriously, please look up the definition of "dead" already.

The sensible answer would be "hell no", but since Joe has had terrible luck with being rational, let's try the opposite. Welcome aboard!

Saradush, more violence. Sword coast inhabitants must be loving like bunnies to counterbalance the ridiculous mortality rate.

You don't want to kill me? Really? Hello new best friend!

Oh hey, the ever respawning fire giant is still there in the EE. I farmed a few levels for Sarevok, whom I dualed to thief, and Imoen, so she can finally cast level 8 spells.

How Gromnir is holding back an army of loving fire giants with these scrubs, I have no idea. Nice unenchanted weapons. Joe's immune to those, by the way.

Hey Gromnir.

Bye Gromnir. Too bad your posse had a very violent allergic reaction to storm of vengeance and horrid wilting, leaving you alone vs. 3 improved hasted melee warriors.

Joe wasn't supposed to kill him? Well make up your mind, new best friend! It's almost like you're manipulating Joe into killing bhaalspawns for you.

Joe wants loot. Watcher's Keep next.

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 17, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ive never done ToB, Ill be curious to see what you do :D

I was working in the lab, late one night
When my eyes beheld an eerie sight
For my monster from his slab, began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise

He did the mash, he did the monster mash
The monster mash, it was a graveyard smash
He did the mash, it caught on in a flash
He did the mash, he did the monster mash

From my laboratory in the castle east
To the master bedroom where the vampires feast
The ghouls all came from their humble abodes
To get a jolt from my electrodes

They did the mash, they did the monster mash
They did the mash, it caught on in a flash
They did the mash, they did the monster mash

The zombies were having fun
The party had just begun
The guests included Wolfman,
Dracula, and his son

The scene was rockin', all were digging the sounds
Igor on chains, backed by his baying hounds
The coffin-bangers were about to arrive
With their vocal group, 'The Crypt-Kicker Five'

They played the mash, they played the monster mash
They played the mash, it caught on in a flash
They played the mash, they played the monster mash

Then you can mash, then you can monster mash
The monster mash, and do my graveyard smash
Then you can mash, you'll catch on in a flash
Then you can mash, then you can monster mash

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

and now for something completely different! invisibility potion!

ducking in to get my buffs

pew pew

A WIZARD DUEL

ran into a house and cast web :v: he followed :v:

even managed to keep the commoner alive :aaa:

this is my absolute favorite NPC

I didnt know the doorman called for backup, did you know the doorman called for backup?

you have fallen into my cunning web trap!

explosions

ducked in here to recharge, found two archers doing the same thing. they uh ... didnt make it.

this one was pretty wild

pulled a few outside

web/cloudkill/fireball is just the best

came back to finish them off

and done

so uh. I didn't expect Aec'letec to follow me up the stairs :ohdear:

but he didn't follow me back down :v:

fireballs took care of the cultists

so uh. it turns out greater daemons can't walk through narrow aisles. so I just plinked him with meteors until he died.

then I blew up the counting house

top floor

merchant league, top floor

ground floor

seven suns ground floor

second floor

thieves guild

and oberon's daughters. all in one night :v:

bar fight to celebrate

turns out this fight is hella easy when he loses out to hold monster

I just want to point out that there is an infinite army of woofs attacking me here. SCS gets a bit silly

twin Bareshs, again.

walked into the room with two people and left four bodies :iiam:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I unironically love these two nihilists

this one nearly killed herself while I was getting my buffs up :v:

sunburst earning its pay

found some thieves who got away from the main event

who the hell is this butler?? he had 100% magic resistance. I ended up needing to use my potion of heroism and using my sword

these are like all my favorite monsters in one room. when I get my wizard base, Im putting these in it.

I was kind of shocked by this, to be honest. cloudkill is just my 'clear out the summons' spell.

curse my sudden but inevitable betrayal

I got a kick out of his summons landing in my cloudkill :v:

this was a pretty awesome moment, he went for magic missile and I went for lightning bolt. both spells went off at the same time. I genuinely enjoy wizard chess, doing my strats based on what I see them casting.

you thought you saw the last of me

Kahrk is, no joke, probably the hardest fight Ive had so far.

he was throwing out mass confusion, sunbursts, or just hasted chopping people up. at one point he even used a contingency spell!

enjoy your trip to hell :D

got me a level up, too

lol and then this guy wanted to fight

farewell, what ever your name was.

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 18, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average delves into Watcher's Keep.

First floor was quick since it was already half done. The final fight didn't take long. Joe was targeted because I wasn't paying attention.

Second floor! Is that a rational demon that sees the mutual benefit of cooperation?

I guess not.

There are less painful ways to return to the Abyss but I guess you were nice enough not to deal any damage to anyone, so huh, whatever floats your boat.

Third floor! Joe Average, M.D.

One of the benefits of not being good aligned is this quest. You can help these fellas kill other fellas and you get...

this little thing. Sarevok is now the 4th party member that can cast true sight. Who needs Keldorn?!

The maze isn't too painful but no magic zones are bullshit.

Oh poo poo, I forgot that the Helm symbol on the floor of the last room of the maze is trapped and I permanently lost Minsc.. wait, no, he's just petrified! I have scrolls of stone to flesh! Small disaster averted!

Will this fellow be nice, I wonder?

drat. I thought that by immediately mentioning you have a way out, you could skip the deck of many things game, but nope, he still wants to play. Well Minsc ol buddy, you're the most expendable character in the party. Go draw a card! Go on...

Oh hey, Minsc won the draw and got a weapon that I'll never use. drat, now he has to draw a second card.

He got a card that summoned cannon fodder to kill. Whew. Demon guy won so the game is over. Double whew (I don't care about the scroll of wish and I'm certainly not going to kill him to use the deck myself.)

He.. was true to his word? Demons are more trustworthy than the people of the Sword coast, it seems.

Fourth floor! To avoid having the rear end in a top hat in the machine summon mind flayers on you, ask about his apprentices. He'll cast a weak lightning spell instead.

Magic golems! ... are very easily killed by normal weapons.

Vampiric illithids? Sure, why not.

Well this is new. I assume this was added for Dorn?

Are all githyanki gigantic assholes? All signs point to yes. Dak'kon was right.

Joe kills his 3rd dragon and Jaheira gets the staff of the ram +6.

OK so demiliches are now apparently immune to HLA spells, which makes sense and was probably an oversight in the original game to begin with, but they also don't seem to die to the improved mace of disruption's instant undead slaying ability, so no quick and easy kill for me. I didn't feel like reconfiguring Aerie for melee combat to give her a chance of killing it before spell immunity: abjuration expires, so I'm skipping it for now (don't really care about the dagger of stars).

Hey, the rear end in a top hat in the machine is a lot nicer now that Joe destroyed his protective bubble.

Fifth floor! The final seal is in sight but eh this update is long enough. I'll do the rest later.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

this seemed the best way of dealing with the fisherman quest

and then this guy came up and attacked me for no reason. didn't even have a bounty notice. as an aside, do you know that at reputation 4, you dont get penalized for killing civilians? :v:

decided to clear the way so my friend Tenya.

at this point Im just killing people if they look like adventurers

I gave you a chance to accept the baldfaced lie, cmon now

and now for the main event

I cannot be caged. I cannot be controlled. Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!

Silence, dog. Your only purpose is to die by my hand.

time for the ol potion of invisibility

gettin my buffs

cloudkill, web, fireball

i suddenly had the urge to kill everyone in this room

like you do

look upon my works ye mighty and despair

-sings- going to the chapel

gunna get married...

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average with a super quick update.

Joe killed his fourth dragon!

And permanently lost Jaheira to a bunch of loving golems I forgot were even there. I cleaned them up just fine but I refuse to continue without Jaheira, so gently caress this, see you next year.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Guess who's back

Back again

Ravel's back

Tell a friend.

Hi there

I let her live :v:

Found the assassins, opened with cloudkill

Guy died quick, then it was just us ladies :3:

shes throwing fireballs, Im throwing fireballs

Its a madhouse! (seriously, we killed like half the NPCs in the undercellars)

She even had contingency! :aaa:

Trapped her in the room and kept throwing fireballs

aww yiss look at that reputation

then they tried to arrest me! :v:

everyone is a doppleganger! Im beginning to see where Durlag was coming from

I heard guards being summoned

cloudkill

they started sending in the SWAT teams

dont mind me, just leaving

its the fuzz! and their informant!

fireball

hey bill, even though Ive killed literally 50 cops today, and a dozen civilians, can I come into the meeting chamber of the Grand Dukes?

sweet. who's up for a party?

I knew you'd agree

Ding :getin:

someone wearing my face started robbing everything!

and they were a magic user!

so many dopplegangers murdering people tonite. its terrible

yes, I seem like just the gal to go into the death trap after the madman. either way you win, right?

funny story, I activated the traps and they took all the damage :v:

hah...ahahaha... hahahahahahah... hAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

when you turn they will be gone...

whispering their hidden song

right, Im not fighting four skeleton warriors by myself

you guys do it

WHO'S RUNNING NOW??

walk it off, you're fine

time for the main event :getin: :ohdear:

-sings- gotta have a mimic...

face the new lord of murder, indeed

cloudkill

I ended up backstabbing this guy a hilarious amount of times :v:

just keep stabbing, just keep stabbing

and then he turned into a skeleton warrior!

oh gently caress the mislead ran out

save me minions!

make another mislead

angelo falls for the bait

hammer time

drat, thats a sweet xp pile

annnnd the skelly

yes, my army, go forth!

they are just standing on a mountain of meat at this point

falling back

keep it up guys, you are amazing

okay, lets press em

you guys keep it up, Im heading back to my corner

both wands empty, working through my pots

potion of invis, seeing how the battle is going

decided to take an invisible nap

made another mislead, walked into the middle of them, flameburst. took out the caster

pulled one skelly

and the other skelly

Brother. It is Time.

One last dance

cloudkill. my fireshield is doing most of the work

grabbing my healin potions

and, there.

Ironling. Strategist. Librarian. Trap Dodger. Honorable Trader. Iron Party.

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 19, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Suspicious posted:

Joe Average with a super quick update.

Joe killed his fourth dragon!

And permanently lost Jaheira to a bunch of loving golems I forgot were even there. I cleaned them up just fine but I refuse to continue without Jaheira, so gently caress this, see you next year.

Noooo Joe Average :(

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

And so it begins.... :getin:

and then Korlasz fell in a dreadful despair and died

as an aside, eekeeper doesnt understand SoD items, so I cant have my notes of Sarevok, or Bhaal research :(

just want to take a moment to point out how pretty this is.

sure, Ill give you enough rope to hang yourself. most likely kill you in the morning

why on earth would you think stealing 600,000 gold from me was a good idea?

THUS BEGINS THE QUEST TO GET MY loving GOLD BACK

1/6 of the way there

wow. police line up and strip search

hey guys, remember me? last time I was here I killed literally fifty of you, and looted their corpses before they cooled. now Im going to talk to an insane priest of cyric so we can go on adventures together!

I could listen to John Warner for hours :allears:

Crowd: Yay! The hero of Baldurs Gate! Ravel Bhaalspawn!
Crowd: Yay!
Noble: Wait! I think Ravel Bhaalspawn might be a child of Bhaal!
Crowd: Is this true??
Ravel Bhaalspawn: ... Really? I killed like 300 people the first night I arrived here. Thieves guild, three different mage houses, the temple of Umberlee, literally every cop I could find, three merchant houses, and several rooms full of random people.
Crowd: She might be a child of Bhaal :aaa:
Crowd: Boooo! Boooo!

Never change, public opinion :allears:

lol they charge for tents

menhirs keep shooting me with lightning and summoning wraiths

I love the little details here. wolves attacked a deer

MOOSE

sure, a sidequest dungeon. itll pass the time

OH HAI THAR

FIGHT FOR ME MINIONS (seriously, I use like 10 wand charges here)

oh great, level drain. now I need to look up these mechanics too

gently caress

okay, if I keep doing the stair trick and a wand of fireballs...

oh thank jesus. and a thief level :v:

-

As an aside, Ive started doing things from a roleplaying perspective :D Im keeping heirlooms from the best fights (slythe's dagger, all the bounty hunter notices, all of Balduran's items, all of Durlag's family's items), along with my research (book of dead three, sarevok's journal, the bhaal research from Korlasz, the journals of a lich and archmage :v: )

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 20, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Im actually surprised to see this guy.

heh. I might actually let you live.

and behind door number two...

door number three

man, and all my spells are firebased. had to use a sword and ice shield.

:black101: hey brah, nice digs
:drugnerd: thanks. who are you?
:black101: ravel bhaalspawn. you?
:drugnerd: nice. Im Coldheart, Im a lich.
:black101: nice. I grabbed your notes on lichifying on the way in, that cool?
:drugnerd: sure, I dont need them anymore.
:black101: awesome. so what are you going to do now?
:drugnerd: well, I need some medallions for magical research.
:black101: its always something, right?
:drugnerd: and it turns out the medallions on my former friends, and they are protected by my former god
:black101: oh. the dwarves who hired me to find you?
:drugnerd: the same
:black101: want me to take care of them?
:drugnerd: if you'd be so kind. Ill hook you up.
:black101: sounds good!

mislead

:black101: yeah, your friend is a lich
:argh: oh no!
:black101: want me to kill him?
:argh: yes. heres some items.

:black101: yeah, turns out I got a better offer

cloudkill, web, stir occasionally

Loel fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 20, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:drugnerd: mwhahahahaha!
:black101: you seem happy
:drugnerd: I am. what kind of thing you want?
:black101: well, Im fighting this super paladin
:drugnerd: oh, her. tell you what. when you do your face off, Ill help.
:black101: awesome , you are the best. wanna help me become a lich later?
:drugnerd: sure, no problem. pleasure doing business with you
:black101: likewise!

my contingency worked! :3:

see, this is another person I can work with. bring two people to her for petrification, and she gives me 3 charges on her golem.

okay, sure, I would totally walk up to them and let them do a wall of force and buffs

as opposed to mislead/cloudkill/web/fireball

which I go ahead and do

I dont like any of these dialogue options. None are 'sure, why not.'

like, why give a dialogue tree if you dont account for the most obvious one?

like, invade hell? Im game.

but instead we all just go back to our separate camps, even though we could still ford the river, or use the clerics in our party to do any number of earth/water/stone spells, or use our wizards to teleport, or ...

Im really enjoying the game so far, but this feels like the one weak moment Ive encountered.

... actually, you know what? its that moment when the DM pauses the game, doesnt let you act, and lets his DMPC do a monologue that you dont have any real input on. cant do the boss battle now, cant join her, just listening to her exposition. I get that its for character development, but why not leave some notes in a chest?

Loel fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 20, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah the bridge won't be good for any kind of cart or horse traffic for a while, but a messenger could totally jump that or you could set up some wooden planks or whatever. You could send skirmishers and scouts after Caelar no problem. I think they messed up the scale- the river and bridge should both be larger, the one you're heading for now is like twice that size, but they wanted this conversation to happen.

Siding with Caelar is a really obvious cut path, and there's a later moment where it's even more blatant. Shadows of Amn kind of ties their hands, but I have a thing for alternate game overs and non-standard endings, so they should've done it anyway. I wanted to ask her if souls being dragged into the Hells was even a thing, because unless you're physically carried there (Maybe that's what she meant) I don't think your soul can be trapped that easily in D&D.

As for the monologue, I get kind of tired of notes and diaries. There's sort of an excuse as to why you can't confront her, and at least they don't have a fight where you beat her and she pauses things to teleport out in a cutscene like a certain smug, torturing, soul-stealing sonnuva :argh:

Kavak fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 20, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kavak posted:

Yeah the bridge won't be good for any kind of cart or horse traffic for a while, but a messenger could totally jump that or you could set up some wooden planks or whatever. You could send skirmishers and scouts after Caelar no problem. I think they messed up the scale- the river and bridge should both be larger, the one you're heading for now is like twice that size, but they wanted this conversation to happen.

Siding with Caelar is a really obvious cut path, and there's a later moment where it's even more blatant. Shadows of Amn kind of ties their hands, but I have a thing for alternate game overs and non-standard endings, so they should've done it anyway. I wanted to ask her if souls being dragged into the Hells was even a thing, because unless you're physically carried there (Maybe that's what she meant) I don't think your soul can be trapped that easily in D&D.

As for the monologue, I get kind of tired of notes and diaries. There's sort of an excuse as to why you can't confront her, and at least they don't have a fight where you beat her and she pauses things to teleport out in a cutscene like a certain smug, torturing, soul-stealing sonnuva :argh:

Like, use the Firewine Bridge or something that size :v: A river that big would be a problem.

Assuming the Flaming Fist has access to 5th level spells, we have ... control water, mud to stone, wall of stone (use it for bridges!) TELEPORT (which is my justification for ctrl-J :v: ), summon elemental (earth or water), wall of force (more bridges), overland flight, or passwall (to go underground). We have some options here :v:

As for giving her more characterization... maybe cutscenes of her but not us? It worked for Star Wars :D

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

LowellDND posted:

Like, use the Firewine Bridge or something that size A river that big would be a problem.

Assuming the Flaming Fist has access to 5th level spells, we have ... control water, mud to stone, wall of stone (use it for bridges!) TELEPORT (which is my justification for ctrl-J :v: ), summon elemental (earth or water), wall of force (more bridges), overland flight, or passwall (to go underground). We have some options here :v:

As for giving her more characterization... maybe cutscenes of her but not us? It worked for Star Wars :D

Make the river the size of the Mississippi, blow up the WHOLE bridge so that rerouting the army is the faster option, and have Caelar appear to you in spectral form or something. Bam, plot fixed.

There are cutscenes of her later, but they clearly wanted to have her lay out her cause to the player and try to sway them- and you can sort of aid them or at least try to keep mutual casualties to a minimum. Like I said, there's a really obvious cut route.

Baldur's Gate has a bad track record with porting tabletop spells- Whoever wrote Aerie seemed to have deliberately ignored the spell called "Fly". I don't want to grog too hard, but the more often it happens the more it seems like they don't actually want to work with the setting they've been given. Like if you make a Star Trek game, you can't just have people start beaming through shields without at least some :technobabble: excuse.

Are there going to be achievements for SoD Ironman runs from now on?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kavak posted:

Make the river the size of the Mississippi, blow up the WHOLE bridge so that rerouting the army is the faster option, and have Caelar appear to you in spectral form or something. Bam, plot fixed.

There are cutscenes of her later, but they clearly wanted to have her lay out her cause to the player and try to sway them- and you can sort of aid them or at least try to keep mutual casualties to a minimum. Like I said, there's a really obvious cut route.

Baldur's Gate has a bad track record with porting tabletop spells- Whoever wrote Aerie seemed to have deliberately ignored the spell called "Fly". I don't want to grog too hard, but the more often it happens the more it seems like they don't actually want to work with the setting they've been given. Like if you make a Star Trek game, you can't just have people start beaming through shields without at least some :technobabble: excuse.

Are there going to be achievements for SoD Ironman runs from now on?

We should make some :D

K, here are the ones that transfer easily:

Mountaineer posted:

Ironling: Complete Baldur's Gate 1

Ironman: Complete Baldur's Gate 2 (requires Ironling)

Irongod: Complete Throne of Bhaal (requires Ironman)

Maybe have Ironsiege for completing SoD, and then IronSiegeman and IronSeigeGod if you've done the expansion.

quote:

Strategist: Complete Baldur's Gate 1 with the Sword Coast Stratagems mod.

I'm... not actually sure if BGEE allows SCS. Input welcome.

quote:

Born Hero: Do not reroll your stats during character creation, take the first set given to you (redistribution is ok).

Purist: Do not use any mods that add/modify content (except Tutu, Ascension, SCS, or Tactics), do not create extra characters for your party, do not modify existing NPCs (convenience mods like infinite stacks ok).

Double Damage: Complete the game on the highest difficulty.

Overcoming Adversity: Complete the game as a Wizard Slayer, Shapeshifter, Beastmaster, or non-Blade Bard (requires Purist).

Melee Champion: Complete Baldur's Gate 1 without using any missile weapons.

Conan the Bhaalspawn: Complete the game without ever having an arcane spellcaster in the party

Honorable Trader: Do not steal any wares from merchants.

Iron Party: Do not resurrect any dead party members (stone to flesh and freedom allowed) OR never have a party member fall in battle.

Swiss Valor Award: Complete the game with only neutral aligned characters in the party (lawful, true, or chaotic, must have at least 4 characters, requires purist).

Roleplayer: Do not have a good aligned character and an evil aligned character in the party at the same time (includes PC, requires purist).

Leader of the Underdogs: Complete Baldur's Gate 2 or Throne of Bhaal with a full party of six without using Aerie, Keldorn, Edwin, or Haer'Dalis. {requires purist).

A God Among Men: Complete the game alone. Do not remove or modify the level cap (requires purist).

OP-ium Addict: Play as a Kensai/mage, Kensai/thief, or Cleric/mage

Scroll of Wuss: Use a scroll of Protection from Undead or Magic when fighting a lich, demi-lich or vampire.

Don't Hurt Me!: Play the game on a difficulty lower than Core Rules.

I havent actually played any further, so any specific boss fights or interesting tricks are up to you :v:

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
SCS is compatible with BGEE, or at least it was before the new patch. If I was still doing a run, I probably wouldn't use it on SoD just yet, it might cause some weird bugs.

Berserker/Cleric is definitely going in OP-ium Addict next year.

We could have an honour for beating the SoD expansion without having played it before, the Pillars of Eternity version of this thread has something similar for its expansions.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 20, 2016

• Locked thread