Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quarter Past Ten
Jan 17, 2012

When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?
Dahlia, the chaotic good elven archer is ready to go!

Things start out easily enough. Dahlia got the killing blow on the belt ogre and Tarnesh.

The party picked up Ajantis for some melee muscle and decided to farm ankhegs for exp. This should be quick

After all, archers can easily beat BG1, right?

:)

I'm off to roll another character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Everyone got confused. Dead to Minsc.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
It's great how BG1 starts throwing confusion at you when the only available counter is a super rare potion.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
The only real defense is foreknowledge of where the rear end in a top hat encounters are. This game sure loves to throw ambushes at you inside of taverns, huh.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 2, 2016

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Nupnups the Cleric is dead, went down fighting a black bear.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

The list of the dead is now longer than the list of living adventurers. :toot:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Only rerolled for like 3 minutes before settling on this

The legend of Kala the Half Elf Fighter/Mage begins.

I cast shield ahead of time to prepare for his onslaught of magic missiles and he gets shield off but turns out I one shotted him anyway.

Kala is now doing some low level quests and had Melicamp turn human again which was a nice boost. With 4 level 1 spell slots and protection from petrification learned its time to level up a bit.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Kala Died to the cleric with the undead army because I forgot he cast hold person and not horror. Whooops.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Made a 3rd attempt.

Dozer the half elf fighter/thief is doing well and is off to the bandit camp.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average cleans up the west coast before heading to the Nashkel mines!

Shoal murdered Imoen, then her 'master' Dorth was very reluctant to give up his helmet of defense, but Joe prevailed!

Joe totally wanted to hunt some sirines but when he arrived he realized Branwen wasn't level 5 yet so there would be no animate dead spell to bait their dire charm spells and arrows of biting. No problem, just use Dynaheir's wand of fire! It worked but ow, that poison hurts.

There isn't supposed to be a trap here Beamdog! :argh:

With his reputation now maxed, Joe decided to check out the Nashkel mine he kept hearing about. The encounter at the bottom was slightly changed, which could have been problematic if Joe wasn't massively overleveled.

Back outside Joe got the drop on a would be ambush!

I really gotta stop immediately bailing outside whenever there's a tough encounter ahead because it gives the enemy an instant surround on the party in the EE.

Back in Beregost for plot related reasons, Joe realized he never talked to this Silke he kept hearing about. Turns out she wanted him to kill random dudes and went berserk when he refused. Eat magic missiles, psycho thespian!

What further adventures await? Ruins, dungeons, deadly beasts? How do you feel about killing basilisks, Joe?

Alright!

Gold spent to raise dead party members: 1400

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Vicky II, the much-improved sequel, has surpassed her predecessor! There are slight differences: although evil at heart, her alignment reads as neutral to keep the law off her tail. She is also not a Born Hero because I wanted lots of charisma for those early reaction rolls. I don't want Viconia disappearing forever in an ironman game!

The dynamic duo almost died to a dire wolf outside Candlekeep, but Imoen stepped up to the plate. I had to burn through half the wand of missiles though.

Suitably chastened, I picked up the regular meatshields and headed to the FAI. Montaron also exceeded his previous incarnation, successfully taking out Tarnesh from behind.

After that, I did the regular quests and headed to Beregost. I did not kill Firebead this time, as much as I would have liked 2700 xp. I learned my lesson about the law! Silk got a lightning bolt spell off and fried Kagain, but otherwise things went smoothly.

Oh, other than Khalid standing too close to the fence, getting poisoned by spiders, failing his morale roll, and running away, preventing me from having him quaff one of my 5 antidotes (see that's what 18 charisma gets you!) before expiring.

Sigh. Well, that's what gold is for. Next, the gang traveled to Nashkel, picked up Dorn, and went all the way back to Peldvale to recruit Viconia and turn in the spider house quest. Then, it was back to Nashkell to replace Neera with Edwin. First, though I decided to clear the Nashkel in of the assassin. Lured her out and pincushioned her to death; Dorn annoyingly missed all his attacks when using his poison weapon ability, but Kagain managed to make two hold person saves so everything worked out ok.One wild mage is enough, thank you! Might bring Neera back for her quest later though, as it has iirc a guaranteed scroll of stoneskin.

Next session, we will go to the gnoll fortress to murder a witch!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
How does the Enhanced Edition compare to the original games? The thread inspired me to go dig up my disks again, and of course they're buried in a box somewhere after two moves.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Enhanced Edition is a lot like playing BG1 with the Tutu mod and some minor convenience mods. For example, you can now easily get a scroll case, gem bag, and potion bag in BG1. There's a handful of new class kits and npcs that you can use or ignore as you like. BG2 hasn't changed much aside from the new NPCs and their related quests. Also there's usually no load time between areas. EE is pretty good if you don't mind buying what is essentially the same game again.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 2, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Suspicious posted:

What further adventures await? Ruins, dungeons, deadly beasts? How do you feel about killing basilisks, Joe?

Alright!

I'm really enjoying Joe Average. Are you investing points in other weapons or are you planning on sticking to Bastard sword and just keeping Strength spells up on Joe until you get the ogre strength belt?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Smiling Knight posted:

Might bring Neera back for her quest later though, as it has iirc a guaranteed scroll of stoneskin.

There are actually 2 stoneskin scrolls in BG1 EE, one at the end of Neera's quest, although the guy holding it does have the AI to use it, even without SCS, so you'll have to incapacitate him and kill him quickly. Multiple castings of Web, then using ranged weapons is ideal for this. The other is on the Ice Island from the expansion.

If anyone wants a fairly comprehensive list of the new items added in both Enhanced Editions, then check out the links below.

BG1 EE New Items

BG2 EE New Items

There are spoilers in those links, so don't click if you want to avoid them.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm really enjoying Joe Average. Are you investing points in other weapons or are you planning on sticking to Bastard sword and just keeping Strength spells up on Joe until you get the ogre strength belt?

Spells and potions for the foreseeable future while I invest in flails for BG2, Khalid will use the ogre gauntlets. The initial plan was just to use bastard swords for BG1 and let Khalid have long swords, but I forgot 2 things: minimum requirements, as previously mentioned, and the fact that grandmastery is actually worth getting in the EE. If I had to start over, I'd just put 2 in flails at level 1 instead to have grandmastery by level 9 in early SoA.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Made a 3rd attempt.

Dozer the half elf fighter/thief is doing well and is off to the bandit camp.

Dead to the bandit camp.

Mus
Jun 6, 2014
Jari the dwarf snuffed it to some ettercaps. His life and height were as such: short.

It doesn't seem the rules have any cap on rerolling, so here we go again. ~*~Time is a flat circle~*~

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Sister to the Elven Sorceress Ironman is Min Fawshaw who is also an Elven Sorceress who is also traveling with Minsc, Jaheria, Khalid, Imoen, Dynaheir.

She has some decent stats.

She also made some questionable spell choices. She used spook once so far and it didn't really work.

The inn goes well.

The chicken goes less well.

After that was a bunch of adventure and such that I didn't screencap because this is attempt 4 and I was going through it really quickly and mechanically. I got the constitution and charisma books and killed some baskilisks and then wrapped things up at the Nashkel Mines and Bandit Camp.

Edit:

The party has cleared the cloakwood mines and arrived in Baldurs Gate!

Who knows what wonder and mystery awaits us here.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 3, 2016

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Vicky II has cleared the Nashkel mines!

Did you know that the rear end in a top hat dude who sells dud potions and scrolls is actually a mage (or bard probably, he used a short sword) with at least 2 level 2 spells! I didn't!

Imoen ate a bunch of magic missiles, Kagain failed his fear save, and Edwin tagged Dorn with a color spray. Luckily, he ran out of spells and we took him down. The party proceeded to Fort Gnoll without a thief. The xp gave Viconia a level, which I screened just because she actually got a great HP roll!!!! Yay!

I didn't have trouble with the fortress. With the Ankheg plate and gauntlets of dex, Kagain had -4 AC and almost 30 hp, making him practically invincible. He tanked, everyone else shot arrows or sling stones. I took care to draw small numbers at a time and before I knew it, Dynaheir was dead. And we got our first stat book. Unfortunately, we ran into a scary random encounter on the way back:

The party barely made it out in time. When I clicked on the screen transition, the stinking cloud graphic was literally en route. That could have been a party wipe!

Greywolf, once blinded, was not a threat.

The mines didn't pose too much trouble. Ate a few kobold arrows on lucky rolls, but no casualties. I only needed to use a single Command on Mulahey; Dorn does disgusting amounts of damage to enemies that can't dodge for this stage of the game. He starts with 19 strength, two pips in two-handed and two in two-handed style. I then chokepointed the door to deal with the chaff.

I had to flee the catacombs area before looting the wands, because (just like last year!) I forgot that the Revenant is immune to non-magic weapons. He has the AC to hit Kagain even all kitted out, so there was no hope of tanking with the dwarf while Dorn did damage. Alas.

I was prepared to neuter Nimbul with Viconia's silence spell, but, well...

the long arm of the law stole my xp! Bastards! But hey, Vicky II now has a ferret familiar for a sweet boost to hp! And the ability to pickpocket Algernon. Next stop, probably the basilisk zone for xp, then the coast for the book, more xp, berserking sword, and maybe replacing Imoen with Safana.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Our new set of heroes are much more prepared for the mage that casts confusion and manage to survive the encounter.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It almost happened again!

Our reputation drops from 20 to 10 in one sling bullet.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Punchy the Monk has defeated Davaeorn and cleared Cloakwood Mine

I start the session by suddenly remembering I never got around to killing Bassilus, so I go do that.

Now ready for the bandit camp, I sweep through it with no problems.

Then it's off to the Cloakwood where I help my good pal Aldeth Sashenstar. I'm surprised Jaheira doesn't get mad if you kill the druids here.

The mercenaries outside the mine don't even get a chance to fight back.

I meet Yeslick and after safely depositing Branwen outside the mine, I add him to the party.

And finally there's the boss man himself. I kill Davaeorn using the most cowardly of tactics: throwing wave after wave of summoned monsters at him until he runs out of spells.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Are you really going to make me re-install this each year?

Well, jokes on you, I still haven't uninstalled this since the last time!

Anyway,

Doug the Inquisitor sallies forth. I'll actually play the game tomorrow.

Also what was up with that roll. I was seriously going to be happy with "doesn't get two-shot by mind flayers" intelligence but they gave me plenty to spare

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

No screenshots right now but Min Fawshaw is doing some great stuff in Baldurs Gate just wrapping up some quests. Got the Wisdom book and the intelligence book. Cured of poison and some minor stuff besides that. I think at this point I am just going to try to get as much xp as possible before moving onto Candlekeep. Probably not going to attempt Durlags Tower because I just don't think it will go well. I'm just going through dudleyville and finding big pockets of xp I can find.

Edit:

We got some loot!

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 3, 2016

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

At 5:16 AM EST Min Farshaw slayed Sarevok.

The following Honors were earned:

Ironling
Purist
Honorable Trader
Battlemaster

The following Dishonors were earned:

Don't Hurt Me!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
About how many hours of play time did that take you?

Finlay
Oct 4, 2005

Its time to settle things like real men.
Laric, Male Human Blade

I left Dark Horizons on by mistake. I probably wont do its main quest but the extra bounty hunters will make the game a bit more difficult. I wont use any of the OP magic items they drop.

Nearly killed by wolf outside candlekeep.

Despite being level 4 Tarnesh managed to take out the party with a spell, then killed Xzar. Laric was rescued by the guards. Imoen had previously been killed by hobgoblins north of the inn.

On the road south of Beregost the first of the Dark Horizons assassins struck, killing all the party except Laric (who got away thanks to a potion of speed). Recruited Kagain and tried to recruit Neera but she was killed!

After doing a few more quests and a few more recruits (and another death, this time garrick to skeletons) managed to kill Tristan and Isolde (thanks to hold person) and head on to nashkel. Will probably do the Gnoll Stronghold before tackling the mines.

Trail of the Dead:

Imoen to hobgoblins

Xzar to Tarnesh

Montaron, Khalid and Jaheria to Tristan and Isolde

Neera to Red Wizards

Garrick to Skeletons

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Ah, what the hell. I'm in the middle of my first PoE run, but I can never resist this thread.

First up, the die roll:

This took about 20 seconds to get.

Introducing my enchanter. There are some who call him...

TIM THE ENCHANTER

(Sorry, couldn't be arsed to create a BG portrait from movie stills.)

These are the game settings. Note that this will be played at Impossible.

Let the games begin!

Sleep > Shank

Sleep > Carbos

And I need to head to the grocery store, so Tim is parked in front of Gorion until I'm back.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 3, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Congrats to cheesetriangle for being our first victor! :toot:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Would I be better off lowering the difficulty and staying solo,or keeping Core and using a party? I wanna give this another shot and change it up some

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

Would I be better off lowering the difficulty and staying solo,or keeping Core and using a party? I wanna give this another shot and change it up some

If you don't know precisely where every last trap, encounter, and item are (more or less without using guides) as well as knowing to cheese the HELL out of the game, then you really should get a party. The game is hard enough with a group - you really have to break out the cheese to solo it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

About how many hours of play time did that take you?

Like 7 or 8?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I had no idea the main storyline quest was that short. Makes sense though, the vast majority of BG1 content is faffing about doing sidequests.

Anyway, here's an update for Dostngosp Teachevils, who has cleared the Nashkel Mines of Mulahey and his kobold cohorts.

First, the Ankheg infestation north of the Friendly Arm was cleared with little incident. While in the area, Dostngosp gave Tenya a hand with her fisherman problem, and cleared a farm of a zombie horde.

Moving back south, the Sirines guarding a cave on the coast were killed with the help of Rage to remove the threat of their confusion causing melee attack. Dostngosp reached level 8 after killing the Flesh Golems in the cave, and found the Constitution Tome.

2/8 Tomes found.

Bassilus came next. Rage dealt with his spells, and he was stunned once during the fight. Apparently Free Action does not block Stun, I had no idea that was the case. I managed to barely interrupt his Heal spell, and killed him the exact moment his Sanctuary spell finished casting. Fortunate timing, although the fight was not difficult.

Melicamp lives.

No screenshots of the Mines, the Necklace of Missiles was very useful dealing with the hordes of kobolds in the lower levels. Mulahey is an amateur compared to Bassilus, and went down in a pathetic heap. Nimbul and Tranzig fared little better, although Nimbul did at least put up a bit of a fight.

Less than 2,000 xp to go before the cap. You level up so quickly when you solo.

Next time, the rest of the wilderness.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 24, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Ilyich posted:

Apparently Free Action does not block Stun, I had no idea that was the case.

The spell and potion of free action do not protect against stun, though the items granting it on equip do. I have no idea if EE changed this or not.

And yeah, if you beeline for the good stuff and don''t play absentmindedly while doing something else, BG1 is actually pretty short.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Ilyich posted:

Bassilus came next. Rage dealt with his spells, and he was stunned once during the fight. Apparently Free Action does not block Stun, I had no idea that was the case. I managed to barely interrupt his Heal spell, and killed him the exact moment his Sanctuary spell finished casting. Fortunate timing, although the fight was not difficult.

I just died to Bassilus because I forgot to drink potion of freedom :eng99: Of course I interrupted his two first casts and but then missed when he was casting hold.

Also I love/hate playing thieves because I always need to waste points in find traps/open locks when all I want to do is put points into hide and move silently

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So, Doug the Inquisitor is doing alright.

I decided to mod pretty heavily this time around. Some areas are open earlier, some NPCs are recruitable earlier, NPCs are de-levelled ToB and given XP to match yours to let you level them up yourself, multi-game NPCs were given their BG2 stats, stuff like that.

[Swords Destroyed: 1]

After taking a circuitous route to the Friendly Arm Inn, Imoen doesn't interrupt Tarnesh's mirror image cast with the magic missile wand, but Kivan's aim is good enough to nail him before he can cast a second spell.

Doug beat up some wannabee wizard and is taking a break at the Friendly Arm Inn. Up next, getting Coran because why not. And I guess the mines. And maybe that +1 two-hand sword, but I kinda want to run with regular ones for as long as possible just to see how many I lose. They always seem to go bust faster than any other weapon.

netcat posted:

Also I love/hate playing thieves because I always need to waste points in find traps/open locks when all I want to do is put points into hide and move silently

That's what NPC thieves are for. Or was your run a solo run?

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 3, 2016

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Tuxedo Ted posted:

That's what NPC thieves are for. Or was your run a solo run?

Yeah I mostly play bg1 solo. Think I'm going with the good ol thief/illusionist next.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average discovered the sword coast is full of weirdos!

First thing on the to-do list was some big game hunting with a flamethrower. It was pretty enjoyable though he encountered a psycho gnome who wanted to turn all flesh into stone or some nonsense like that. He got the flamethrower treatment too!

Then he stopped to unwind in a peaceful looking halfling village, which was actualy being plagued by an ogre mage who made himself a kobold overlord to lure adventurers and kill them to take their stuff. His brilliant plan had 2 flaws: First, there was a shortcut that led directly to his lair, bypassing all his minions. Second, he couldn't dodge projectiles shot point blank at his face. Geez, aren't there easier ways to make money?

Like contract killing! Make sure you can dodge fireballs though. These guys couldn't.

While taking a stroll in the woods and minding his own goddamn business, Joe stumbled upon a troupe of clowns who were very upset he caught them rehearsing, so upset that they decided to kill him on the spot?! What's with all these lunatics? They were lousy acrobats, couldn't even dodge a fireball or three.

Joe came across a group of bandits who were very angry to have their camp discovered even though it was right next to a paved road going to Baldur's Gate?! Hello? Maybe go into a little deeper into the forest next time? Or better yet, get a hobby or something. I couldn't fireball the bandit leaders because of the neutral guy in the back so I busted out the potion of freedom + web combo. The archer and mage were held, which made the fight a joke.

In Cloakwood there were even more weirdos! Druids that wanted to execute people they came across on the spot and some guy raising wyverns to be... I don't know. Guards or something? Then he attacked Joe. Sigh.

Oh hey the leader of the bandits is dead, maybe Joe will get some respite now. He went down easy because I had, for some reason, a single arrow of dispel in my inventory. I have no idea where it came from, maybe the EE added it or I got absurdly lucky with a random drop, but in any case Khalid's aim was true and it took down all of his defenses.

Alright, time to hit the big city and maybe find some normal people for a change because sword coast rednecks sure are crazy.

Oh poo poo wizard Santa followed Joe! Can't a man have some peace? His father was killed by a walking, spiky fridge just a few weeks ago for crying out loud!

Gold spent to raise dead party members: 2200
(full disclosure: I had to reload an autosave because Tenya bugged out and wouldn't turn from hostile to neutral when I said I would help her after the "fight" with her)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Hah, wow. I admit I have never done a direct run but I usually take like 20-40 hours to beat bg1. I'm going to roll an archer and see how fast I can do it.

• Locked thread