Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The Comstar line is a X-com memorial wall at this point. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Dostngosp Teachevils has killed Illasera and Gromnir.

The fight with Illasera was surprisingly long, her fighter minions were harmless but I had some trouble getting rid of her and her mage minion. Still, once I killed him, and the 2 Planetars they summoned between them, Illasera was left on her own and forced to rely on melee combat. She didn't last too long after that.

The 1st Pocket Plane challenge was almost a total disaster. I drastically under-estimated how long it takes, so most of my buffs ran out just as Irenicus finished his Time Stop. (I foolishly decided that Bodhi was the more important target.) At one point I ended up at just 5 HP. I was very fortunate to survive this one. Good job I've got so many healing potions.

Why is this in Saradush? :psyduck:

Gromnir was similar to Illasera, harmless fighter minions and dangerous mage ones. He's much more threatening in melee though. I was never in too much danger though.

Incredible treasures? Sold.

Next time, Dostngosp Teachevils is going on a treasure hunt. Yaga-Shura can wait, I'm sure he won't mind.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 11, 2016

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Floog the Beastmaster Loses His SIster

So north to collect some Ankheg shells. This...goes badly. I do have some Strength potions to haul back most of my loot with Floog and Kagain, but I can't get all of it.

Going to rez people, I fail to kill Elminster again. Dammit.

Left Edwin dead thinking I could fetch Baeloth, but I guess he doesn't show up yet. Ran into Red Wizards along the way. Noooooope, not fighting you guys. Run away!

Mutamin falls victim to that ghoul over in the west.

Along the way I grab Shar-teel and leave Dorn's lame rear end. Seriously, his HP this go was awful. He barely topped Viconia's HP for god's sake.

Then tragedy strikes as I go to pick off the rest of the basilisks with Imoen, she gets petrified. No problem says I, I run back to the temple, rest, get some scrolls, come back, and...she's gone. I was not aware petrified corpses disappear over time? Grah. Well, in any event, I believe there's a replacement thief yonder west...

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Watcher's Keep, Part 1.

The 1st level was, with the exception of the 2nd fight with the Statues, a total walkover. The 2nd fight almost killed me though, the various warriors were not a problem, but the 2 Mages (SCS changes the statues around a little bit) combined very well and almost managed to wear me down. They even got me with a Chaos spell. Fortunately, I survived that setback, and a timely healing potion blocked a Power Word: Kill spell. They survived for such a long time that they both ran out of spells, a real rarity in BG2.

Onto the 2nd level, this obviously trustworthy Demon will definitely not betray me. The rest of the level was very simple, I was never in any danger.

What a shocking turn of events!

SCS also changes the Chromatic Demon. It's now 100% immune to physical damage, and has a variety of special abilities it can use, depending on which form it's in. Luckily I have enough sources of elemental damage that I was able to damage all four forms. The Wand of the Heavens was particularly useful against the Ice Golem form, since the Chromatic Demon has 0 Magic Resistance. (He's also vulnerable to Vorpal hits if you've got a way to do them) While fully buffed, I was either immune or highly resistant enough to effectively block his abilities, so for a while it was merely a high level melee fighter. Eventually most of my buffs wore off, and he became much more dangerous. Fortunately he was almost dead by this point. This was a very long fight, but it was also a fairly easy one and I was never in any real danger.

Next time, the Teleport Maze. SCS randomizes it to one of 3 configurations, and I don't know any of them. (I don't know the vanilla route either, to be honest.) This could take a while.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 14, 2016

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Yang, the Human Inquisitor, is still chillin' at the FAI. This is basically due to not much free time and too much fun being had while playing the evil counterpart.

Yin, the Elf Fighter/Mage, razed the Bandit Camp and is currently at the Cloakwood Forest

First, let's count how many swords we broke before finding a Long Sword +1...

Counting the first one broken in Candlekeep itself, that's 6. Nobody else broke any weapons this playthrough.

Anyway, we picked up a disgruntled dwarf to tag along and killed a dumbass who picked a fight.

Our trusty familiar, Demogorgon Jr, made short work of Silke when his Horror landed.

He also helped out to splat another assassin. Well, at least after this wonderful display of fighting ability from all involved.

After this, his usefulness sharply dropped, especially once the party got Dorn, Viccy and Edwin.

We then headed to the coastline to flesh out our party with Safana. Get it? Because of the Flesh Golems in the cave? :haw:

Since she'll have content in Siege of Dragonspear, I decided to add her to the evil party in the hopes that I get that far on an Ironman run. One can only hope.

Anyway, scored some light reading material.

While exploring we picked up a stray chicken and it turns out that Melicamp lives! :toot:

Also, it looks like Thalantyr is a Last Airbender fan. Pretty cool.

On the way to kill a Rashemi witch we nabbed this halberd that I don't remember ever coming across.

Also found Dale Carnegie's best-selling publication.

Yin had a wonderful opportunity to test out her new and improved Charisma during Dorn's questline, tactfully informing a widow that her husband was killed by a necromancer.

We then vanquished a LICH!

Feeling empowered, Yin decided that no challenge is too big, especially an upstart Gary Stu Drow that goes around killing innocent Gnolls.

Engage operation surround with ranged attackers while summoning fodder from a wand to keep him distracted.

The wand ran out and Kagain died while doing what he does best (being a pile of HP), right before Viconia could get to him. Oh well. He gets raised to grumble another day.

After clearing up some more sidequests, Yin makes her way to the Cloakwood Forest, where Baeloth pipes up with words of wisdom.

I decided to go with Baeloth over Edwin because he'll also have content in Siege of Dragonspear, particularly when interacting with Viconia. I don't feel too bad since he's a casting powerhouse as well.

Here's the gang, ready to curbstomp fatties, spiders, wyverns, druids and all that jazz. Viconia got to wear Drizzt's armor and it suits her well.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Left Edwin dead thinking I could fetch Baeloth, but I guess he doesn't show up yet. Ran into Red Wizards along the way. Noooooope, not fighting you guys. Run away!

Then tragedy strikes as I go to pick off the rest of the basilisks with Imoen, she gets petrified. No problem says I, I run back to the temple, rest, get some scrolls, come back, and...she's gone. I was not aware petrified corpses disappear over time? Grah. Well, in any event, I believe there's a replacement thief yonder west...

As far as I know, CHARNAME needs to be level 5 for Baeloth to show up. For multiclass characters it'd be level 5 in at least one of the classes.

That petrification bit is odd and I was under the impression the petrified corpses stayed put as well. I guess I always had stone to flesh scrolls at hand in the past.

Also, Ilyich, I'm enjoying your playthrough! I've never really played clerics much and had no idea a zerk/cleric dual could hold his own so well. Out of curiosity, what would your buff sequence look like before a tough fight?

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Oh man, I can't believe I never saw this thread before. I would normally be interested in starting up an Ironman game to join you guys, but I might be too late to start, and even if I'm not I've got a lot of work in real life to keep me occupied. But I'll try to follow along with the current challenges.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
It's all good, new runs start or restart all the time. Don't feel a need to keep up, everyone at their own pace.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

cigaw posted:

Also, Ilyich, I'm enjoying your playthrough! I've never really played clerics much and had no idea a zerk/cleric dual could hold his own so well. Out of curiosity, what would your buff sequence look like before a tough fight?

Thanks, I'm enjoying playing it. I knew going in that Berserker/Cleric was powerful, but I had no idea it was this good.

Anyway, my buff routine is as follows: -

The pre-buff mode in SCS allows me to cast all these spells almost simultaneously, provided I'm not in combat. Very useful, since I don't have to worry about a short duration spell like Bless running out halfway through my casting. With the exception of HLA's, I've got 3-5 casts of each spell so I don't have to rest that often.

Permanent buffs. These spells last such a long time that I can have them on at all times, even out of combat.

Chaotic Commands, Death Ward, Protection from Evil 10', Protection from Lightning and Resist Fear. For some fights, I don't have to go further than this. For those that do, I've got a wide variety of other buffs, they're listed below.

Combat buffs, cast from memorised spells. Pretty much everything else.

Level 1: - Armour of Faith, Bless*. I also have Sanctuary for emergency situations, or for a quick re-application of select buffs (Only those with longer cast times, like Righteous Magic. Buffs with short cast times like Death Ward can be re-cast in combat safely) without danger of interruption.
Level 2: - Barkskin, Chant*, Draw Upon Holy Might*, Resist Fire/Cold.
Level 3: - Protection from Fire. (Only if I'm wearing the Shadow Dragon Scale. My normal armour choice, Red Dragon Plate combined with Resist Fire/Cold makes this spell unnecessary) I also have several casts of Dispel Magic.
Level 4: - Defensive Harmony*.
Level 5: - Magic Resistance, Righteous Magic, True Seeing*.
Level 6: - Physical Mirror*. I've also got 3 casts of Heal, for emergencies. These are only cast under a Sanctuary.
Level 7: - Regeneration*, Shield of the Archons.
HLA's: - Aura of Flaming Death, Globe of Blades. I only have one cast of these per rest, so these only appear in really big fights such as dragons.

*These spells last for 1 minute at most, so they only get cast for tougher fights.

I also have a couple of buffs cast from items. 1 cast of Improved Invisibility, lasting 23 rounds, and 5 casts of Improved Haste from various sources, although only one of those lasts longer than 20 seconds. These are only used for the toughest fights, they're unnecessary for most encounters. They also tend to be more vulnerable to Dispel/Remove Magic than my spell buffs. Of course, I also have 3 uses of Rage which gets used every now and then.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 16, 2016

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Ilyich posted:

whole bunch of good stuff

Thanks for the info, it is quite helpful! :)

It's starting to look like I'll have to look into SCS soon.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar OneElven the Ranger entered the Mines of Nashkell. Imoen died to a single yapping deamon because of course she did. On the last level of the mine. Before the 3 last traps. Urgh, this is going to be a LONG walk back to Nashkell for a raise dead.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ilyich posted:

Thanks, I'm enjoying playing it. I knew going in that Berserker/Cleric was powerful, but I had no idea it was this good.

I was playing berserker/cleric last time this thread came around. It's crazy good.

Honestly, I've always found the OP-ium dishonour to be a bit weaksauce. The class combinations it names are really just "a bit above average", they're not any more powerful than several combinations not on the list...

Hell, I'd even call the Kensai ones a bit on the weak side unless you're jumping straight to BG2, since they're absolutely atrocious in the early game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Floog the Beastmaster vs Flesh Golems

And at the Lighthouse is my replacement thief Safana. Sure Safana, I see no way this plan of yours will go farcically south.

First hurdle are the Sirines. I get the bright idea to send in my familiar to eat their Dire Charms...this goes well at first, then almost goes very badly as they break out bows once they're out of spells. I barely pull him back in time to heal him, then go kill the lot of them.

Sil and her group are next, and I come up with a plan. Charm Animal a squirrel! Send it up, they promptly blow all of their Dire Charms on the loving squirrel. Beastmasters rule!

I send Safana to try and raid the cave since it's her drat plan. She promptly runs into a trap and Flesh Golems come to kill me. I cannot hurt Flesh Golems at all.

So it comes down to Shar-Teel gulping my sole invisibility potion and making a run for it. She does nab the treasure after breaking a Dire Charm trap with her face, and then it's a comical race out of the area from the Golems.

One side, load of corpses coming through, one side...

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
The familiar spell-magnet technique was a close freaking call. I do like the charm random animal idea, though! Very clever.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar OneElven the Ranger cleared out the mines without any further...troubles. He's started clearing the wilderness of bandits and other scum.

Melicamp survived. Also, today I learnt I rescued a gay chicken who likes wine.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Floog the Beastmaster to the Cloakwood Mines

Oh there you are Baeloth. Out you go, Edwin. This guy has six shots of Magic Missile, more than enough to kill anything that moves.

To the Cloakwood, where spider lady falls victim to luring her spiders out of the cave and picking them off.

More sirines, which fall victim to the attack of a bunch of loving charmed bears. Beastmasters rule!

Continuing on, I enter a cave and ohcrapwhyrunaway!

The Iron Throne Fun Bunch aren't going to listen to reason, so I just have Safana start out with a backstab. Does crap for damage though.

Drasus and his Paws of the Cheetah would be rough, at least until Baeloth Enfeebles him, then he can do basically nothing. Baeloth rocks.

And tragically my idea to charm a horse into baiting the spells of the remaining wizards doesn't work as the horse is as stubborn as a mule and won't move. Oh well, they die in short order anyway. To the Mines!

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Watcher's Keep, Part 2.

Getting through the randomized maze took quite a while, because I kept getting lost. (The whole point of randomizing the layout I suppose.) Eventually, I got tired of running round in circles and decided to add map notes to make a crude map of the whole maze. This didn't take too long, as it turns out the maze is actually quite small, roughly a dozen rooms in total. However, the various fights within the maze were all easy and I was never in any real danger.

Aesgareth's group on the other hand, was quite troublesome. I even had to hide away part way through the fight to heal and re-apply some buffs. Eventually however, the Cambion was left with only his Mage for company, and since she had used most of her spells in the 1st part of the fight, they both died quickly. Surprisingly tough.

Moving onto level 4, SCS has some minor changes for this level. There are some more Illithid in their camp, and the doors in the Gith camp are opened automatically, to allow the Gith in later rooms to help their allies. Neither did much to stop Dostngosp however, although the largest of the Illithid groups did some appreciable damage.

Saladrex put up a decent fight, but eventually he was overwhelmed.

The Demilich on the other hand was a total pushover. Even the Cloak of Mirroring didn't help it survive for long.

Next time, unlocking the Final Seal.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 20, 2016

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar OneElven the Ranger is clearing out the wilderness of bandits when Imoen died to 3 archers who came in and out flanked the party. Because of course she did. Dyanthier then took 2 white wolf blasts to the face and froze like an icicle.

I suspect Imoen is now suffering PTSD from the amount of deaths she's suffered, the poor girl.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 20, 2016

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Oh there you are Baeloth. Out you go, Edwin. This guy has six shots of Magic Missile, more than enough to kill anything that moves.

Twelve if you give him the Ring of Wizardry! :science: Highly recommended.

I'm faffing around with the Good Party right now, but nothing exciting to report yet.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Dostngosp Teachevils has unlocked the Final Seal in Watcher's Keep.

The green dragon was a pushover compared to Saladrex, and died quickly. The other 2 parts to this test, and the Spirit Warrior test were also simple.

The Mind test on the other hand, was fairly challenging. Most of the waves were easy, but the Beholder wave and the last two mage fights were quite long fights. I wonder if beating all 16 waves at once is possible with SCS. Maybe I'll try it one day.

The Rilmani were a total walkover. Unfortunately for the Aurumach, you can't do much damage with a club to someone with 95% crushing damage resistance.

Normally, Azamantes is a fairly simple fight, but SCS gives him the Robe of Vecna. As a result, this was a real test. Eventually however, his protections ran out and he died. Put up a real fight though, not many things can make me use 10 extra healing potions.

My plan for the Final Seal guardians was to fully buff up, turn the key and then run to the Spirit Warror test, lock the door and wait for the Marilith to teleport to me and kill it. Then I would kill everything else one at a time, ending with the Hive Mother. The 1st part of the plan went perfectly, the Marilith did exactly as expected and I beat it easily. Unfortunately, it brought pretty much everything else with it too, including a summoned Balor.

I improvised and killed the Kensai and the Balor, then fled under invisibility. Surprisingly, I was not followed. (The SCS AI sometimes does this weird thing where an enemy completely ignores invisible opponents even when it can see them. I've never been able to reliably reproduce it though.) I took advantage of the lucky break and killed the Succubus and various summoned creatures free from any real danger, despite the Aerial Servants hitting me with a roll of 2. Thank god for crushing damage resistance.

Once they were all dead, it was a simple matter of killing the Cleric, Archer and Hive Mother in relative safety. It was tough, but it went about as well as can be expected, to be honest.

Next time, the Imprisoned One.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar OneElven the Ranger is still clearing out the wilderness of bandits when Minsc died to a flurry of fire arrows from a ambush of Kobold Commandos. Once brought back to life, his witch died when Comstar OneElven the Ranger got dire charmed by the Siren's and a dispel magic only removed the hold spell over him, not the charm as well (now sure why that didn't work).

Imoen has now decided to be a mage that she was born to be,. now that she's hit level 6. I've dumped Minsc, his rodent and the witch, and picked up Safana as replacement thief. I want another front line fighter - I got Ajantis, but I don't think I can put up with his Lawful Stupid level of annoyances. I think I'll dump him for Yeslick or Balor, if I make it that far.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
When the thread started I rolled this character, but quickly got bored and abandoned the run, now that I’m on vacation, my interest returned and resumed it.
Beforehand, I’ve never played a fighter/mage/thief, and BG1 it’s my least favorite part of the trilogy so I’ll try to be as brief as possible, let’s get started!

I present you Blaxploiter, the elven Fighter/Mage/Thief

A 91 roll for stats. The journey begins without much trouble, killed the assassins in Candlekeep without much trouble. In this run I will try to be incredible
conservative, to the point of cowardice, at least until I arrive to BG2.

Got to the Friendly Arms Inn and killed Tarnesh by exploiting his field of view and the guards. Luckily, I managed to avoid him casting magic missile, which is assured death at this point.

After that, I do some minor questing, collect the ring of wizardry and other things and go to hunt some basilisks.

Killed Mutadin by using the “friendly” ghoul as bait. I avoided the área with the hostile party of adventurers, I felt I couldn’t beat them.

Character levels after the basilisk farming.

Next I scavenged for certain pieces of equipment, such as useful wands, Algernon’s cloak and the like. In the image, I’m diving the ankheg’s nest with a potion of invisibility to get the fire wand.

Melicamp survived his chicken ordeal!

After all the equipment hunting, completed the gnoll stronghold and Nashkell mines.

Mulahey goes down, the summon monster wand is priceless. Then comes another time of equipment hunting, also gold farming to afford recharging my wands.
Had some dicey moment’s, like in the flesh golem cave when a lucky punch got me down to 5 hp.

Cleared the bandit camp and the Cloakwood mines but I forgot to take screenshots both times (ooops). The bounty hunters outside the mines went down pretty easily, some fireballs outside their field of view outright killed the mages and the injured fighters died to my summoned pets plus my missile fire. Natasha gave me quite a lot of trouble in the lvl 4 of the mines, she managed to confuse my carácter through a Wall, but she never pursued. Davaeorn went down easily, I chugged some potions to protect myself from his magic and it was just a matter of time (and lots of summoned chaff) to whittle down his defenses.

With Davaeorn dead, time to go to Baldur’s Gate.

When I got to the city. I realice I’ve already hit the level cap. I’m stopping there for now, but I feel is pointless to try to do a completionist run, so I’ll get some additional equipment/tomes and going straight for the main quest and try to finish the game as soon as posible.

Blaxploiter, the solo elven F/M/T arrives at Baldur’s Gate!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar OneElven the Ranger is dead. While going between maps he somehow walked into a Basilisk (!?!). Deciding not wanting to deal with that, the entire party turned and ran.

The Basilisk turned him to stone for displaying such cowardice.

(I wasn't even NEAR the Basilisk map!! That's the most unfair death so far!).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

If you ever make it to BG2 you need to have the dead Comstar's show up like TNO's incarnations at the end of the game.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Comstar posted:

Comstar OneElven the Ranger is dead. While going between maps he somehow walked into a Basilisk (!?!). Deciding not wanting to deal with that, the entire party turned and ran.

The Basilisk turned him to stone for displaying such cowardice.

(I wasn't even NEAR the Basilisk map!! That's the most unfair death so far!).

I carry a potion of mirrored eyes on everyone for that exact possibility (also potions of invisibility).

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The ranger seems to be the most long lasting avatar, so lets try that again: Comstar Twelver the Elf Ranger

Comstar Twelver the Elf Ranger was killed by The Amazing Oopah the world's only exploding ogre. One hit and there was an explosion of giblets where he was standing. Perhaps I should get up a level before getting to Nashkell?

------------

INTRODUCING...Comstar Lucky Thirteen the human ranger.

May his luck at getting a 18/100 be a portent of things to come.

And it was. Jaheria died to the bandits south of the Friendly Arms Inn. And my Plate Mail self destructed in the same fight. All very Lucky!

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 26, 2016

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Dostngosp Teachevils has defeated Demogorgon and cleared Watcher's Keep.

Well, it was more of a humiliating thrashing to be honest. After a full pre-buff and summoning a Deva for some backup (Not needed as it turned out, but it pays to be prepared) I engaged him in combat. A Dispel Magic at Demogorgon's feet removed his Protection From Magic Weapons and the fight was basically already won. Nothing can stand up to 9 attacks per round for long, and after roughly 30 seconds, the fight was over.

Next time, the Forest of Mir and the Marching Mountains.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jesus Ilych does your knee hurt from breaking the game over it yet?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Look at all those buffs. You can't even tell there's a portrait under there.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Dostngosp Teachevils has killed Yaga-Shura and reached Amkethran.

Heading to the Marching Mountains first, Fire Giants really hurt. SCS gives the regular giants 2 HLAs, and the elites get 5. Whirlwind Attack is really dangerous in the hands of a giant, particularly the half dozen guarding the temple entrance.

The 5 giants here were also dangerous, the golems less so. The giants on the floor were the only threat, once they were dead it was fairly smooth going.

SCS also adds a lich here, unfortunately for him I have Turn Undead. Might have been pretty tough otherwise.

On to the 2nd floor, this red dragon is another SCS addition. Getting it alone was easy, since dragons can see through invisibility and giants cannot. Strangely enough, while the elite giants here were still very dangerous, the regular giants on this floor were virtually harmless because they do crushing damage, unlike the ones downstairs.

Hey look, a Cleric got to summon a Deva. There really is a first time for everything. As for Imix, he was harmless despite some extra guards courtesy of aTweaks. On-demand immunity to fire is pretty great.

The Forest of Mir was simple enough, despite the best efforts of a tiny skeleton mage and his Planetar. Nyalee also died quickly, although these Shambling Mounds took forever to kill.

Yaga-Shura was an easy kill, the short delay between my arrival in the area and his army spawning allowed for an almost complete pre-buff. Even his elite guard couldn't save him.

After fighting my way past the Oasis, I reached Amkethran, and Chapter 9. The Oasis was a slaughter, a few select combat buffs under a Sanctuary (Offence over defence for this one) allowed for a very easy win.

Next time, Sendai.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Dostngosp Teachevils has killed Sendai.

SCS makes several changes to Sendai's Enclave, I'll go over each one with the relevant screenshots.

The entrance to the enclave, as well as the Barracks and north/south tunnels were cleared with little trouble. In the Barracks I got a 2nd item (Well, 2nd usable item, there's also a bow, but you know, Clerics) with a once per day cast of a 23 round Improved Haste. It will be very useful, Improved Haste is awesome.

The 1st change is some backup for these 2 groups of Drow, from before and after killing Odamaron respectively. I killed the non-drow in each group first, since they were the only real threat in either group. The Drow casters here do get a level boost, but it wasn't enough to prevent easy wins.

Odamaron himself was actually quite tough. He's no longer alone in SCS, he gets a lich, a vampire spellcaster (A level 16 mage, pretty much a straight copy of Tanova) and a pair of skeleton warriors for support. The lich and vampire can both be killed by turn undead, although this proved fairly difficult thanks to Odamaron. (Standing near a lich to turn it is dangerous enough, but when there's another one dumping Comets and Planetars on you, it gets really bad) However, once he was alone, Odamaron was a fairly simple kill because he was long past casting his most dangerous spells.

Moving on, Ogremoch was a very easy kill, thanks to my 95% crushing damage resistance. Even 5d10 damage per hit doesn't get through that.

The only threatening enemy here was the hive mother. Everything else died too quickly to do anything. The mind flayer ambush was a cakewalk, so I didn't bother getting any screenshots.

The 1st part of the Sendai fight, the one with the 7 statues was by far the toughest fight in the entire area. SCS makes every statue activate once per round, whether the previous one is dead or not. The 2 Drow that each statue brings with it were also fairly dangerous in their own right, each of the 12 fighters had at least 1 HLA, although the 2 mages did not. Sendai's statues all had HLAs as well. Luckily, nothing in this entire fight can see through invisibility, so if I got in trouble I could use a potion and heal in safety, then pick and choose fights at my own discretion.

Eventually, I was left with just one of Sendai's mage statues, so I took the opportunity to re-apply my buffs for the 2nd part of the fight. The fight with Sendai proper was incredibly easy by comparison, since she's completely alone. She has some powerful magic, but it was nowhere near enough and I won very easily.

After dealing with yet another sibling, Dostngosp returned to Amkethran to rest and sell some loot.

Next time, Abazigal.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 31, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I didn't even know it was possible to get an AC below -10.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar Lucky Thirteen the human ranger's entire party died after sneaking into the Cloakwood to pick up Coron, and being ambushed and then spider webbed trapped attempting to leave the area. Whelp, not so lucky after all!

The patch has changed so much of the look I feel like I'm looking at a different game. Not to mention that playing SoD is going to end with the game time of seconds without knowing what's on the next patch of unexplored space.

You don't need to move over to something to loot it! Pure heaven for that little quality of life change.

You can change from bows to sword+shield! Yay!

Time to try something that was my only past success at finishing the entire game: Comstar the 14th the Elven The Fighter/Mage/Thief.

Noooooooooooooooo. The patch has broken a lot (all?) of the mod contents! Text and options are coming up as "Invalid". You can still select them, but it just says "Invalid XXXXX".

Ok, I'll uninstall it, reinstall in a different directory, no mods (sob) and try that again.

Comstar the 15th the Elven The Fighter/Mage/Thief.

Slightly better stats this time.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 1, 2016

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Speaking of the patch, BG:EE (but not BG2:EE) is currently 75% off at steam in celebration of the new DLC. I dunno if anybody else hasn't taken the plunge yet, but now's the time if you're still waiting. Finally bought it for myself, too.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 1, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Speaking of the patch, BG:EE (but not BG2:EE) is currently 75% off at steam in celebration of the new DLC. I dunno if anybody else hasn't taken the plunge yet, but now's the time if you're still waiting. Finally bought it for myself, too.

That's $10 I could've saved on a Steam key if I'd just frickin' waited :suicide:.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Dostngosp Teachevils has defeated Melissan and ascended to godhood. Baldurs Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal is finished.

Part 1. Abazigal.
Like with Sendai, SCS makes several changes.

Draconis was very easy to kill, his human form did virtually nothing of note. His dragon form was not very dangerous either, the Shadow Dragon Scale combined with Armour of Faith and the Helm of the Rock granted 100% resistance to his acid breath. Very disappointing.

The weak fodder on the way to the breath potion are replaced by Lizard Men. Unlike the pathetic ones in SoA, these are quite dangerous. They're roughly as strong as the Drow fighters in the Sendai fight, and since they come in 2 decent sized groups are surprisingly tough. Improved Haste and Regeneration was enough to win, although they put up a good fight.

The breath potion is guarded by a yellow dragon, although if you play nice in the conversation you don't have to kill it. I opted to play nice, although it was a very easy fight thanks to its physical attack not affecting Dostngosp, who is immune to normal and +1 weapons. (This is almost certainly a bug.) After getting the potion, there is a group of Baatezu waiting to ambush you. They are not a threat at this stage of the game and died very quickly.

The prison area was a walkover, it has Kuo-Toa and a few Water Elementals courtesy of aTweaks. Nothing was anything close to being a threat. SCS does change the way you get the rope though, after talking to the Monk you have to return to Amkethran and get it from the owner of the Inn. A little annoying, but its not a big deal.

Returning to the Enclave, I was met with 2 black dragons. As with Draconis, the combo above eliminated their acid breath from the fight, and they didn't bother with Stoneskin or PFMW, so killing them was not a problem. Still, it is 2 dragons at once and they put up a really good fight.

Straight after that, a green dragon turns up. Luckily it spawns just out of your vision, so you can safely re-apply buffs and change armour or equipment. As a result, this was slightly easier than the fight with the 2 black dragons. However, Righteous Magic is really dangerous on a dragon.

And then after that, a red dragon appears, again just off-screen. Since you're likely running out of buffs by now, this is probably the toughest of the 3 fights, overall. This dragon had Improved Haste, which is another really good way of making a dragon a real threat. I had to run around and drink healing potions a couple of times in this fight.

This is probably my favourite thing is SCS. Its long, tough and most importantly, its just a really fun fight.

Finally, getting the Scroll of Geas Reversal. The eyes are improved slightly (Better targetting, better summons etc.) but more importantly a group of 5 beholders is added near the middle of the cave. The tyrant golems have 100% magic resistance and resistance to physical damage, but my saves are so low that beholders are not a threat by now, so this fight was fairly simple with sensible use of healing potions.

:allears:

Abazigal himself was really tough. Not only was his human form much more dangerous than Draconis, his dragon form combined Righteous Magic and Improved Haste. This is an extremely dangerous combo on a dragon, and he put up a serious fight. Luckily, I also have access to that combo, and more. Eventually, I did win, but this was seriously difficult.

This is getting really long, so I'll put Balthazar and the final battle in the next post.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 1, 2016

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Part 2. Ascension.

Balthazar was almost stupidly easy. I made him explode in seconds. Pathetic.

The Ravager on the other hand, was seriously tough. He hits hard, often and has a dispel on hit. His bone blades also pack a punch. This took forever, but I was able to move faster than my opponents, so after what felt like forever I won. This really made up for Balthazar being a total chump. After this, I re-organized my spells to better suit the long final fight.

Moving on the final battle. This was surprisingly easy, overall. Once I figured out exactly what Melissan can do anyway. Her physical attacks do good damage, both physical (Not sure which type, definitely not crushing though.) and cold. It also causes slow on hit. Both were easily countered with equipment, the Flail of Ages +5 grants immunity to slow via Free Action, and I have enough items with cold resistance to eliminate that threat.

Her only strategy seemed to be an initial Time Stop, summoning some fodder and physical attacks. A bit disappointing really, although the fact that the fight is basically a 7 part marathon where I can do each part at my leisure put things firmly in my favour.

The first two pools were very easily dealt with. The 3rd proved slightly tougher, although once I seperated the demons from the Solar it was plain sailing. I really like aTweaks, but the demon AI being unable to resist teleporting to your weakest party member proved to be a real flaw during this run. (Don't get me wrong, its fine it they're all piling on low HP NPCs like Aerie or Edwin, but its terrible if they're going for Dostngosp.)

Eventually though, I won. I was never in any real danger during the entire fight, although the final part was the toughest, Melissan's summoned death tyrants proved to be annoying with their Anti-Magic Rays. However, I had so many healing potions (Over 1,200 in total.) that Melissan never got anywhere near killing me.

Stat sheets from just before the final battle. Overall, Dostngosp killed about 5,700 enemies over the entire run. I think he's earned his new divinity.

Honours earned.

Irongod, Tactician, Conan the Bhaalspawn, Honourable Trader, Helm's Champion, A God Among Men.

I enjoyed this run a lot, and its a good job I finished it when I did. The new patch, which broke all the mods I use, downloaded literally 2 minutes after I took the final screenshot.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 1, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ilyich posted:

Stat sheets from just before the final battle. Overall, Dostngosp killed about 5,700 enemies over the entire run. I think he's earned his new divinity.

Honours earned.

Irongod, Tactician, Conan the Bhaalspawn, Honourable Trader, Helm's Champion, A God Among Men.

I enjoyed this run a lot, and its a good job I finished it when I did. The new patch, which broke all the mods I use, downloaded literally 2 minutes after I took the final screenshot.

Well played sir, truly a well deserved ascension :golfclap:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
That was just mindblowing to watch. Your mastery of this game is truly the stuff of the gods. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Always wanted to try this.

Nameless the Dwarf Fighter/Mage

I obviously used Shadowkeeper to get that combo, and I also used it to get 17 Dex, 19 Con, 18 Int. I could spend two hours rolling, or we could just say I got it on the first try. Never done Ironman or Solo, so this time we'll be attempting both :v: Im using EasyTutu, Unfinished Business, Fix Pack, Tweak Pack, and probably some other minor stuff. Ill be putting a Ring of Acuity on Gorion's body, but other than that I should be playing it straight.

And away we go!

• Locked thread