Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
netcat
Apr 29, 2008

ooops :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Punchy the Monk is now known as Kale the Monk upon starting BG2.

Why the name change? Actually, in my IRL D&D group we just started a new campaign and I'm playing a monk named Kale. So, I figured this was a good time to give Punchy a real name.

Still the same ol' Punchy, nothing but the name has changed. We'll see how BG2 goes. I don't know it like the back of my hand as I do for BG1, and I've never successfully ironmanned it.

Anyway, Irenicus' basement goes as usual.

Out in Athkatla I rest up, then jump straight into the circus to recruit Aerie. The plan is to use this current group as my party, but replacing Minsc with Keldorn, and eventually Yoshimo with Imoen. I may use the sixth party slot as a rotating guest spot for character quests, but I plan to go with a party of five most of the time to hopefully level a little faster.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
At least you're finally reaching the part of the XP curve where monks are any good. Are you planning on going for an early Imoen rescue? I'd be hesitant to approach a lot of BG2 content with Aerie as your only mage. She's great and all, but her multiclass puts her behind the leveling curve for sure. Have you considered using Nalia or Jan instead of Yoshimo? Nalia's fine for early BG2 trap detection, and there's a ring of danger sense (+25% trap detect/disarm) in the planar sphere that makes her fine for all trap detection.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Eh, maybe I'll pick up Nalia. We'll see how it goes.

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
So, last year I tried a couple of times to get 6 wildmages through the game. Lets see if The Wildmages survive this year, or if they will blow themselves up first.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The Red Queen is dead to a fuckin hobgoblin on the way to farm Ankegs.

I very much underestimated SCS.

I am thinking Dwarven Defender for my next try. Are they a viable class through BGII?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Orrfieldmedic posted:

So, last year I tried a couple of times to get 6 wildmages through the game. Lets see if The Wildmages survive this year, or if they will blow themselves up first.

Well now I just want to do six Rangers.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

The Red Queen is dead to a fuckin hobgoblin on the way to farm Ankegs.

I very much underestimated SCS.

I am thinking Dwarven Defender for my next try. Are they a viable class through BGII?

d12 hd and 70% damage resist at level 20? I would hope so.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Elayne the Berserker has beaten Sarevok!

Chugging all the potions before facing him in single combat.

Honors: Ironling, Melee Champion, Conan the Bhaalspawn, Honorable Trader, Iron Party, Battlemaster, Roleplayer, A God Among Men

Dishonors: Don't Hurt Me!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

May do one of these soon, I read awhile back about good synergy either withberserker Druid dual or barbarian Druid dual. Anyone comment on pros or cons of each? I'd do the fighter as single class in bg1 then dual in 2.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Edit:^^^ Join usssss!

Welp. The mines were kind of a disaster, and I didn't even enter them yet!

So I thought I'd be a cool guy, have Coran stealth over and backstab one of the wizards, invis potion, then backstab the second one before having the rest of the team roll in and stomp the warriors.

But then Coran did a critical miss. Then I realized I forgot to give him that invisibility potion. And then the one warrior with the cheetah paw boots was too fast to run into a corner out of sight and stealth away. He got nailed by all those nasty spells I talked about before and I had to rush in.

Jaheira couldn't keep up with the DPs of the wizards and eventually bought it. I had to have Kivan hold the choke point in melee but he lost HP fast too. By then Doug was able to draw aggro and Inquisitor BS his way through the wizards with a dispel magic and then applied use of a giant sword. I had Viconia try and doom/hold the warrior Kivan was fighting but just as the hold landed the guy landed one last blow on Kivan.

So that's three of my guys down! One part due to a dumb mistake and like fifty parts of "I can salvage this, no need to go crazy with the resources! I might need those for a real emergency!" I didn't even panic dump a summon wand charge in the middle of that mess. Lesson learned.

But I use those charaters too much anyway, so I'm gonna not cry over spilt milk and just get replacements. Yeslick will replace Jaheira easily enough and hopefully help lug most of that heavy junk home. I guess Minsc can do alright as an archer to replace Kivan and actually have enough hp to do OK in melee. And as for Coran, I think I'll snag Shar-Teel while I'm doing the evil party members and dual her into a thief.

Then? I'm gonna go get like a zillion xp from sirens, basilisks, and ankhegs.
So Doug the Inquisitor is running away making a tactical withdrawal to weigh his options.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 6, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Hughlander posted:

May do one of these soon, I read awhile back about good synergy either withberserker Druid dual or barbarian Druid dual. Anyone comment on pros or cons of each? I'd do the fighter as single class in bg1 then dual in 2.

Barbarians can't dual.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Oh right. The only good synergy druid build I recall doesn't even involve a druid. If you start as a ranger and dual class into cleric (in original BG or Tutu, not EE), you start getting all the druid spells in addition to the cleric ones, basically turning you into a druid/cleric multiclass with a heaping helping of fighter hit dice, THAC0, specializations, and attacks-per-turn thrown in.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Suspicious posted:

Barbarians can't dual.

BG2 Tweaks let's them duel if you want to forgo purist.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Vicky II the Wild Mage has cleared the Bandit Camp and the Cloakwood mines!

I'll skip pictures for this one; nothing too exciting. Cleared all the wilderness for xp and loot; had to retreat after the first attempt at the bandit camp because I was taking a surprising amount of damage from the goons outside. Web dealt with the guys inside though without a hitch and Viconia tanked the lightning trap (Imoen hadn't quite regained her thief levels yet).

Cloakwood forest was a breeze. Hit one annoying web trap and the 2-wyvern ambush twice, but arrows and blind solved those problems. Mercs outside the mines got webbed and shot to pieces. Hareshan was stunned by the stupifier and Natasha fried herself with her own lightning bolt. Daveaorn fight... had some hiccups. Intentionally triggered the trap to get that sweet 8000 xp from battle horrors, but one fled and then Kagain chased too quickly, triggering the wizard. Most of the party fled to safety in the bedroom, but Viconia, casting animate dead, was fried by the initial fireball. Oops! I used a charge on the wand of summoning to get some spell absorbs, and then slowing positioned Vicky to take advantage of Wild Mages. See, in my exploration I picked a scroll of cloudkill or two. For most classes, this is a one-time super spell. But wild mages can cast it, even in BG1, thanks to Reckless Dwemer. Obviously, this is risky, but that risk can be mitigated with care: chaos shield. Of course, if your prep gets interrupted and you forget to cast it...

Suffice to say, Vicky II is now Victor. And I was hoping for some sweet Dorn action in II! Alas.

Weirdly, at this point, Dave seemed to glitch out and stopped casting spells. He can't have been out yet, I think. Either way, he was beaten to death by Kagain and Dorn once I was sure that the mage wasn't casting.

Anyway, the whole party is level 5 aside from level 6 Kagain, and now we're off to Baldur's Gate! Hopefully future attempts to abuse Dwemer will be a mite more effective.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Orrfieldmedic posted:

I salute you, brave soul!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Elayne has entered the part of the solo player power curve where no fucks are given until at least TOB.

It's snowballs going downhill from here on out.

Just going to kill every quest in order of payouts/xp/unique items until I go rescue imoen sometime. I just delivered the poisoned Harper to their base so Ring of Wizardry is probably my next order of business then probably do the Planar Prison for Boots of Speed. Another 4-5 hours of playtime and I should hit high level abilities.

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
The Wildmages died

Sure, lets fail to interrupt his spell casting with damage and get half of the party held. That works. Lets also forget that sleep doesn't work on high level dudes and decide sure best thing is open with sleep.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You can't interrupt BG1 clerics' initial cast of rigid thinking with damage for some reason, not sure about the hold person that usually follows.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average discovered some things about Candlekeep...

It's full of doppelgangers! Anyway, framed for murder, on the run, yaddi yadda.

Another ambush ruined by fireball-related invisibility shenanigans.

Apparently spiders can trigger their own traps. Also their poison deals 5 damage per second. RIP Khalid.

Back to Baldur's Gate, Sarevok's scheme is easily ruined and both dukes survived! That's a good sign, right?

Through the maze now.

Oh look, another ambush.

Surprise!

Joe talked Tamoko out of suicide-by-bhaalspawn

and finally reached Sarevok who's hiding in this decrepit temple but... you know what? Joe's had enough of this poo poo. His loony brother can rot in there for all eternity. What he wants is some fresh air...

Ah, a quaint little village, perfect.

Oh, a tour of an ancient tower? Why not!

Up next, TotSC content! (Shame to everyone who skipped it!)
Gold spent to raise dead party members: 3000

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Joe Average is my favorite. :allears:
I'm curious, what are his stats and equipment like at this point?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Cool? things I noticed in my latest run.

BG1EE Treats Enrage and the 15 temporary hp it gives you as healing cast on you when you rest. It took me a while to figure out why the gently caress I never had my enrages available when I was grinding out xp and when I was healing to full health all the time despite only having 1 light heal and 19 con so regen. It was using up my enrages as healing on rest so if I was interrupted which was often because I was resting inside the ankheg cave I would be at full hp and couldn't enrage.

Something I came to realize in BG2EE is if you are hasted or slowed and have poison on you the poison ticks faster / slower. If you have haste on you and get poisoned you need to cure it right loving now because it ticks almost every second and chewed through like 70 hp in under a minute and I had to take constant hp potions. If you are slowed it's the opposite and it rarely ticks and you take like no damage.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Mountaineer posted:

Joe Average is my favorite. :allears:
I'm curious, what are his stats and equipment like at this point?

11 in every stat, 12 in wisdom (soon to be 13). Equipment is ankheg plate, long bow of marksmanship and the bastard sword +3 vs shapeshifters. Helm of defense and boots of grounding (I have lost too many ironman runs to errant lightning bolts), ring of protection +1, ring of free action, gloves of weapon expertise. I haven't really meleed with him yet but I plan to (very carefully) against loups garou/greater wolfweres and aec'letec. He will be loaded with potions and buffs when it happens. Even with 10 dexterity he's still an effective archer, and when it's an important fight he's buffed to hell and his poo poo stats don't matter.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well thanks random mook that dropped Mordenkainen's Sword for me a scroll that doesn't normally become available until the Underdark. Did random enemies always drop high level spell scrolls at random or is that new in the EE? I normally get at least one high level spell out of the copper coronent guards per run. 7th or 8th level never seen 9th.

Elayne was on her way to go someplace called watchers keep to buy the latest high tech equipment(potion bag) when she got distracted with some harpers. Some guy named Xzar died in the end and Elayne decided she should get a party, Jaheria was standing nearby so that worked. But Jaheria wanted Elayne to go talk to the harpers again and a big fight broke out and I was forced to kill them all. Then I killed Jaheria so she wouldn't whine when I removed her from the group. Now her and Khalied can be reunited.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

YOU WILL DIE FOR YOUR IMPUDENCE

About halfway to HLA for Elayne got some boots of speed robe of vecna ring of wizardry amulet of power vhailor's helm and last but not least two rods of resurrection. Sadly it turns out if your Wisdom is too high you can't wish for bad wishes even if you want to. Had planned on repeatedly summoning vampires.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar the First has gathered his party together- a halfling fighter/thief, a crazy necromancer, a bland druid/fighter and a cowardly elf who throws himself into the front while everyone else stands back and shoots the diseased gimmlerings to pieces.

I've reached Berghost, but half the content seems to be missing, which is weird, as I thought I had all the mods installed, but clearly not. Guess I shall see how far I get with a more vanilla experience.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think I'm interested in having a stab at this doing a solo character run but how do people handle traps on non-thief characters – particularly a sorcerer?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Entropy238 posted:

I think I'm interested in having a stab at this doing a solo character run but how do people handle traps on non-thief characters – particularly a sorcerer?
Throwing summons to trip them is favorite.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Does that work? I thought summons didn't trigger traps.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Oh right. The only good synergy druid build I recall doesn't even involve a druid. If you start as a ranger and dual class into cleric (in original BG or Tutu, not EE), you start getting all the druid spells in addition to the cleric ones, basically turning you into a druid/cleric multiclass with a heaping helping of fighter hit dice, THAC0, specializations, and attacks-per-turn thrown in.

All flavors of Fighter->Druid are pretty good because Iron Skins.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Mountaineer posted:

I could swear I used exactly that when running a solo character...maybe I'm completely wrong? Argh.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

I use Rage and let my Berserker tank them with his face. No subtlety at all, but it works well.

Mountaineer posted:

Summons/NPCs set off traps is a component from Sim Ding0's Tweak Pack, IIRC.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Entropy238 posted:

Most traps either toss spells or missiles, so metagame knowledge of the position and type of trap can allow you to use Spell Deflection and Protection from Missiles spells to absorb them.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Correct, if you can't disarm a trap with thief skills, your only options are to go somewhere else or to disarm the trap with your face. Stoneskin still negates all physical attacks, appropriate elemental resistance negates elemental traps, chaotic commands and the like negates mind-control traps, etc etc.

Mind-control traps are VERY DANGEROUS as a solo character, because if your entire party (1 guy) gets charmed at once, it's game over.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Entropy238 posted:

In BG1 magic protection stuff will help with most of the dangerous traps. BG2 has some nasty traps that does regular damage but iirc stoneskin should protect against those.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
A short update for Dostngosp Teachevils.

While hunting for Lamalha, I saved this cow from some Xvarts. The Ogres and Bandits in the area were little threat and fell quickly. In fact, the only worry was getting struck by a stray lightning bolt. A quick rest and heal sorted it out though.

While travelling to the Firewine Bridge to help the people of Gullykin, I finally found what I was looking for. They put up a reasonable fight, but were not a major hassle to kill.

Lendarn is the only real threat in the Firewine Ruins but I managed to stun him, he was useless after that. The Kobold Commandos are easily killed with the Necklace of Missiles.

Next time, the entirety of the Wood of Sharp Teeth.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

A brief update on Kale the Monk.

I do decide to drop Yoshimo for Nalia, but I'll come back for him when I go to Spellhold. Then I go to the Temple District to swap Minsc for Keldorn.

The Copper Coronet slavers fall to my new team.

Then I clear De'Arnise Hold for Nalia, and become its new lord. I also get a bunch of neat weapons that no one in my party can use. Well, at least I can sell it to buy better stuff.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Dear psychotic, murderous brother, it's me, Joe Average! My vacation is going great!

When I got to Durlag's Tower, the tour guide really set the mood right. I was really into it! But then something even better happened!

A "demon knight" appeared, "killed" everyone and challenged me to follow him into the labyrinth below. Sweet, I love roleplaying!

The first floor was boring. Just a few traps and some monsters I killed plenty of already. The fight at the end was a bit hectic, but with so many buffs the warders went down fast. I should have probably focused on the invisible backstabbing warder first to save Jaheira some pain, but she's a trooper and didn't complain.

The second floor wasn't much better, just more traps and some doomguards that were guarding some crap I didn't bother looting because it was, well, crap. Gotta leave something for the next tourists!

On the third floor I made some friends and we went underground wyvern hunting for a while! But then they turned hostile and I had to defend myself. That really sucked!

Then it was time to play a life sized game of chess, but the rules were too complicated for me, so I decided to just spam fireballs. It worked! Just like it worked on every group of bozos you've sent after me!

The fourth level was mostly exploring an acidic cave full of the undead and answering riddles. Then I finally caught up to the "demon knight"!

Jaheira rushed ahead to greet him, perhaps too hastily because he stunned her. She almost died, but the rest of us ended the fight just in time! He dropped a dagger I couldn't wait to show to everyone back at the village!

The tour organizers understandably wanted the dagger back, probably to reset the tour for the next lucky tourists, so I handed it over. My just reward was to be attacked?! Are they afraid I'll spoil it for everyone? I have to find the leaders and tell them I wouldn't do that!

But they wouldn't believe me, or let me join the tour committee.

They summoned their big boss but he didn't say a single word and just attacked! I had to kill him. (Did the EE nerf him? He went down like a bitch.)

Still, it was a lot of fun. I think I'll go on a cruise next! But before I go, I have to find that tour guide. I owe him a big tip.

Gold spent to raise dead party members: 4600

Finlay
Oct 4, 2005

Its time to settle things like real men.
New character, Cruach the Blackguard

Poisoned weapons makes some of the fights much easier.

No deaths yet! But soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Kale the Monk continues his Amnish adventures.

First is the Mae'var questline in the docks. I love to do this one early in chapter 2 since it's relatively short and easy, and you get a nice chunk of money for it.

Somewhere during all that I accidentally trigger the curse sidequest for Jaheira and resolve that.

Next up is Trademeet because Jaheira is still running around with a basic club and the druid grove is a good place to get new weapons for her, especially Belm.

Turns out Faldorn doesn't fight very well with a cloud of bees in her face.

I also solve the genie problem while I'm here and am named Hero of Trademeet.

I always forget to have someone shapeshift before the statues are made. Jaheira's statue could have been a bear.

• Locked thread