Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Armyman25 posted:

After riding the National Guard gravy train for the past 10 years I find myself without any military opportunities presenting themselves. My experience is in flying helicopters, but those jobs are very location dependent and not very many are presenting themselves where I live.

From people I've spoken with, getting CDL seems like a good way to find employment as shipping companies are always hiring. Or, my thought was, looking into becoming an electrician as it seems that that is an in demand skill that won't destroy your body the way that other construction jobs will.

So, any insight into either career would be appreciated.

Basically, pros-cons, how much training is required, and what does a typical career look like in either field?

your experience in helicopters as in being the pilot experience?

If so, then staying in that field will get you more more money than driving a truck or twisting wires together.......seriously.

Look at law enforcement, TV stations, CareFlight type, and other businesses that use choppers. Maybe become a instructor.

As far as truck driving.......you will spend majority of your time out on the road, making schitt wages which is why they are always hiring.

Truck school is about $3500 to get you a CDL unless you hire on with a company with in-house training.

No over-the-road experience means that the first two years or so, you will get slave own on wages.

I would recommend truck driving if you enjoy being by yourself, smelling bad, and don't care about making good pay.

Electrician is not that bad but you will start as an apprentice first until you get some experience and then apply for a license. Be prepared to crawl on, over, and through all kinds of crap at most......unless you do new builds.

I would seriously look for an aviation job if it was me......even if it mean moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread