Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

:britain: BRITISH POLITICAL CARTOON THREAD 2016 :britain: (and beyond?) :yayclod:

Previous thread

Steve Bell
Website
@BellBelltoons
Born in Walthamstow, London in 1951. Started at the Guardian in 1981 with his daily strip, If..., which is currently stuck in a not-all-that-great Star Wars riff for the past three months.

Martin Rowson
@MartinRowson
Born in 1959. Not sure when he started at the Grauniad. Also illustrates Kevin McGuire's column in the Mirror, and sometimes draws for the Morning Star.

Chris Riddell
Website
@ChrisRiddell50
Born in South Africa in 1962. Started at the Guardian's Sunday stablemate the Observer in 1995. Currently the UK Children's Laureate. Has recently collaborated with Neil Gaiman on a number of books.

-

Christian Adams
@AdamsToon1
Born in Surrey in 1966. Started at the Telegraph in 2005. Not on Wikipedia.

Bob Moran
Website
@BobsCartoons
Started at the Telegraph in 2011. "Still in his twenties", according to his website, dated last year.

-

Dave Brown
@DaveBrownToons
Born in Kent in 1957. Started at the Sunday Times in 1989, joining the Independent in 1996.

Brian Adcock
Website
@BrianCartoon
Born in Yarmouth in 1967. Started drawing cartoons for the Prague Post in 2000.

Ben Jennings
Website
@BJennings90
Born in Hemel Hempstead. Won the Independent's smaller sibling the i's Cartoon Idol in 2011. Also subs in for the Guardian sometimes.

Peter Schrank
Website
Born in Swizerland in 1952. Started at the Independent in 1995. Also draws for the Economist.

-

Peter Brookes
@BrookesTimes
Born in Liverpool in 1943. Started at the Times in 1992. Supports Queens Park Rangers football club.

Morten Morland
Website
@MortenMorland
Born in Norway in 1979. Worked for the Times since 2002. Also draws for the Spectator.

-

Stanley McMurtry, Mac
Born in Edinburgh in 1936. Started at the Mail in 1971. Awarded an MBE in 2003. Sometimes hides a profile of his wife somewhere in the cartoon.

-

Misc.

Stephen Collins
Website
@Stephen_Collins
Not the actor. Appears in the Guardian's Saturday magazine. Only occasionally political, he gets posted because I like his work.

David Squires
Website
@Squires_David
Lives in Australia. Started at the Guardian's Sport section in 2014. Also produces a cartoon for the Australian version of the Guardian website, focusing on the A-League.

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:yayclod: Excellent edits :yayclod:

Pesky Splinter posted:

Before he can get to the Queen, first he must face...

Pesky Splinter posted:

And that's a wonderfully horrifying transformation into Blair;

Paul Thomas Memorial Corner

Former Express cartoonist, let go in January 2015. Recently did a book about tattoos. On the Twitters.

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 24, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wait, so we could be plagued by Bob for the next 50 years? gently caress. I thought he had to be an old shithead.

Cloud Potato, you've ruined 2016 for me. Thanks. :cry:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

forkboy84 posted:

Cloud Potato, you've ruined 2016 for me. Thanks. :cry:

:yayclod:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on David Cameron's 2016 – Prime minister faces tricky issues over his European Union renegotiations"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Bonus:

After Pieter Bruegel the Elder.

Times:

Bonus from Ben Jennings's Twitter:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Cloud Potato I am sad you forgot

in your otherwise great op.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Cloud Potato I am sad you forgot

in your otherwise great op.

Ach, you're quite right. Title image made and added to OP.

I'm not sure where Paul Thomas is putting out cartoons, though.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Cloud Potato posted:

Ach, you're quite right. Title image made and added to OP.

I'm not sure where Paul Thomas is putting out cartoons, though.

He's written a book

:stare:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh! That explains his Christmas cartoon of the snowman then.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I bet he has a sleeve of tiny migrants running between different vehicles.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Maybe now he can make a pleasant living hiding animals in terribly drawn scenes of everyday life without having to ever go into his horrible political opinions. Good for him, good for the world as a whole. A happy ending.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

typically British

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

So I saw at the end of last thread you said were missing Australian cartoons. Now I'm sure you'd like some more Pope, but for now how about a nice Bill Leak.

gently caress off Leak.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So I saw at the end of last thread you said were missing Australian cartoons. Now I'm sure you'd like some more Pope, but for now how about a nice Bill Leak.

gently caress off Leak.

Thank you. It's pretty racist, but they've got to work on their backgrounds if they want to be Mac-level racist.

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Tories’ troubles in the new year – David Cameron’s Conservatives enter 2016 beset by rows over flooding, City bankers and Oliver Letwin’s racist comments"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Drinking limits guidance set to be changed after review

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They missed a trick by not making Corbyn the old father time of year 1970-something.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I can't wait to see what the cartoonist will do with this:

Nigel Farage's car wheels 'were sabotaged in an assassination attempt': Ukip leader lost control of Volvo when wheel fell off on motorway... and police confirm foul play

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l#ixzz3wC69L3il
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Apparently Farage escaped an assassination attempt - his words.

link to story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-foul-play.html

Ritz On Toppa Ritz fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 3, 2016

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Telegraph:

2016: the year of giant sinkholes.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"2016: what lies in store? - Chris Riddell makes some new year predictions"

Sunday Telegraph:

New TV show starts tonight.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"2016: what lies in store? - Chris Riddell makes some new year predictions"
So a mixture of good and bad then?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Guavanaut posted:

So a mixture of good and bad then?

I'm not sure I'd call climate change and Brexit good.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cliff Racer posted:

I'm not sure I'd call climate change and Brexit good.

Is the trend of some artists to depicting the UK PM as a gross looking red thing a reference to anything other than ruddy cheeks?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the execution of Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr - Iran’s Ayatollah Ali Khamenei today called for the west to condemn the execution of a Shia cleric in Saudi Arabia"

Telegraph:

Nigel Farage Says Police Suspect Foul Play Behind Ukip Leader's Car Accident In France

Independent:

Times:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fearless posted:

Is the trend of some artists to depicting the UK PM as a gross looking red thing a reference to anything other than ruddy cheeks?

Bell's version was an evolution from depicting him first as a jellyfish (IIRC it was over something Cameron said about political transparency) and later becoming condom stretched over a dead fish head, and then finally a pink condom. I vaguely remember something about Bell finding his rubbery flushed skin androgynous or something too.

Rowson's is Cameron dressed as Little Lord Fauntleroy.

The rest are because Cameron is a red-faced rubbery looking bastard, mostly. :shrug:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The best part is that Cameron actually ran into Bell at a conference once and asked him when he'd quit doing the condom thing.

It was the wrong thing to say.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
To be fair, the joke is wearing thin by now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's what happens when you use pigskin.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Paladinus posted:

To be fair, the joke is wearing thin by now.

I imagine he hadn't expected to need it for more than five years, if that.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

John Major's underpants are still funny.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Fearless posted:

Better a red-faced blob thing than drawing his ponderous erect-nippled breasts which was the other characteristic obsessed over by the cartoonists in this thread.
That aspect seems to have mercifully faded.

Or he could be the classic "some guy" as Paul Thomas drew him...

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well bell at least eventually switched to giving him a blow up doll body.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

nobodyssweetheart posted:

Or he could be the classic "some guy" as Paul Thomas drew him...

The one on the right isn't meant to be Cameron, is he?

If so - loving hell, that's poor.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Red Oktober posted:

One of the things that I appreciate about this thread as opposed to the main one is the generally higher quality of the art-- in all its horrible glory. This cartoon looks, well, American.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Fearless posted:

One of the things that I appreciate about this thread as opposed to the main one is the generally higher quality of the art-- in all its horrible glory. This cartoon looks, well, American.

I think Paul Thomas was lovely in a distinctly British way.
Bland opinions, Fetish for Royalty/Contempt for Lower Classes, Cluttered drawing style.

His American equivalent would have a not-thought-out opinion (usually "Obama Bad!") and rather than fill up all the white space with their lack of drawing skills, be as lazy as possible -- maybe a guy or a bumpersticker on a single object in a blank void.

Yes, that is supposed to be Cameron and he always drew him with that head. Check the old thread for countless examples. Particularly striking when he has his uncredited "friend" do the head of whatever political figure "Cameron" is interacting with in a completely different line-weight.

(from baka kaba, last thread)

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 5, 2016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

At least his William Hague is very recognisable I guess?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Foreign Office's response to Saudi Arabian executions – Britain has been challenged to withdraw its support for Saudi Arabia as chair of the UN human rights council panel after the Foreign Office initially described the announcement of the execution of 47 people as disappointing"

Telegraph:

David Cameron: We'll directly commission 13,000 new homes

Independent:

Times:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wow, thats a pretty brutal Independent there, if it were a game or film it would have a rating not allowing children to buy it without an adult present (or at least it would in my country.)

Not really sure how you turn what Saudi Arabia does into a pox on the British government though.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Britain's perfectly happy to sell them arms by the truckload while turning a blind eye to this heinous poo poo, plus it backed Saudi Arabia being on the UNHRC

Plus we like to think we have more influence than we do

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cliff Racer posted:

Not really sure how you turn what Saudi Arabia does into a pox on the British government though.

It's more that the government has turned a blind eye to Saudi Arabian human rights abuses in exchange for arms deals for quite some time. Arms which have very likely been used in the continuing suppression of the general populus, in addition to just ignoring flagrant human rights abuses.

Also because the former ambassador tried to justify the execution of 47 people:

quote:

Sir John Jenkins said: “Do I think the sentences are justified? Certainly the people accused of membership of [al-Qaida], particularly given what has happened over the past 18 months with these attacks by Islamic State inside the kingdom, I can understand why the Saudis reacted in the way they did.”

He added that Saudi Arabia would argue that its executions were different from killings by [Isis], since Saudi Arabia is “a legitimately constituted state operating in a state system”. Iran executed far more people than Saudi Arabia, he said.

Oh well, these notorious human rights abusers executed far more people than our favoured notorious human rights abusers have, oh I guess that's alright then. :downs:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 5, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shouldn't that sword be facing the other way?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Britain also seemed to be key in getting the Sauds a seat on the UN Human Rights Council

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron and the EU referendum – Government ministers will be free to campaign on either side of the debate for the referendum on Britain’s EU membership, David Cameron has confirmed"

Telegraph:

Times:

Jeremy Corbyn keeps Hilary Benn as shadow foreign secretary in reshuffle

Mail:
Mac on... War and peace

Mac on... Migrants walking into UK through Eurotunnel

Guardian Sport: