Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Mac can get double hosed with chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Okay I get the 2nd Mac, but what's the story behind the first one?

Is it just grumbling about injury lawyers tied to a new TV series, or did something actually happen.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
There's a new War and Peace adaptation on telly plus there's a witch hunt against are boys don't you know?

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

I really hate the mental road this image this is making me go down. "Pinky is looking really bloated here. Wait, his whole body is a condom and he's on a toilet. He's still wearing his trousers and he's strained enough to make his quiff turn into a lightbulb. Christ."

___

O/T: I'm coming to London to do a workshop but my hosts asked me when I wanted to go? It's a couple hours of work and then a lot of free time. Is there anything especially worth doing/seeing in March? (I'm an American from New York and I have been to London before.)

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 6, 2016

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Camden market, while it's still there, the museums (Natural History and Science - there next door to each other, and British while the Elgin marbles are still here), Tower of London - basically all the Old stuff that you can't find in America

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Renfield posted:

Camden market, while it's still there, the museums (Natural History and Science - there next door to each other, and British while the Elgin marbles are still here), Tower of London - basically all the Old stuff that you can't find in America

No, we have old stuff in museums. We figured out "stealing from the third world" in the 19th century , too.

I meant more temporal things... a reason to pick March (vs. April vs. May.)

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Maybe get out of London ?
Where I used to live in Rochester is 45mins from Euston station (or an hour from Charing Cross) and worth a day out (don't live there though) - you've got old stuff in museums, but you don't have a 12th century castle or 14th century cathedral

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would also second the "avoid london" part of visiting the UK. But then I've never been so I'm partisan. If you want something you won't see everywhere in the US then smaller towns built around a thousand years or so of historic buildings are what you want.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You should probably go to London, got some nice stuff in it.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Camden market is a tourist trap that should be avoided at all costs IMO. Unless you're into that kind of stuff.

Go to the Tates

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
March, specifically? Hampstead Heath for the nice view, it's lovely in spring. Soul Train 5th Anniversary Party at the Bussey Building. Ann Christopher drawings at the Royal Academy. The North London Derby.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Mousepractice posted:

March, specifically? Hampstead Heath for the nice view, it's lovely in spring. Soul Train 5th Anniversary Party at the Bussey Building. Ann Christopher drawings at the Royal Academy. The North London Derby.

Maybe March. It's up to me, I have to set my own schedule. I'm being flown in to do some teaching (in London) but they asked me when I want to come.
I was in two years ago and visited all the major galleries, had a train to Leeds mysteriously rerouted to Manchester for no reason and then got rained on a lot. Had those experiences already.

Really, truly... I want to see all the beautiful moments captured in these politoons in real life!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
If you're serious about combining your trip with political cartoonery, there's The Political Cartoon Gallery & Cafe, although I've not been there myself so can't speak to its splendor.

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on shadow ministers resigning in reshuffle protest – Kevan Jones, Jonathan Reynolds and Stephen Doughty have resigned in protest at Jeremy Corbyn’s reshuffle"

Telegraph:

Times:

North Korea nuclear: State claims first hydrogen bomb test

Mail:
Mac on... Indian schoolboy's record-breaking cricket score

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Cloud Potato posted:

If you're serious about combining your trip with political cartoonery, there's The Political Cartoon Gallery & Cafe, although I've not been there myself so can't speak to its splendor.

I was ready to run down there and drop 250 for this Maggie mug but if they can't even spell her husband's name right, they don't deserve my patronage. Hrmph.

I'd rather stake out a pond Boris is likely to fall into, but I probably will load up on used cartoon annuals at a charity shop if I don't make it to
The Political Cartoon Gallery & Cafe (and the fancy looking comic book shop next door in the background of their photo).

He's sort of merging Papa Kim and Baby Kim into a midpoint person here... or just doesn't give a poo poo.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah thats goofy, I wonder if he seriously only remembered KJI died after it was too late to change. It really looks nothing like him.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Teehee, child abuse. Good old Mac.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm fairly sure this one is a "overdriven parents trying to live vicariously through their children are insane" thing, and may actually be The Good Mac. Unless he is actually saying that we have to beat the Indians at all costs.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's actually saying the latter thing, but as a joke. I mean, either way you've got the child abuse element but still.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on George Osborne's economic warning – George Osborne has warned of the risks to the UK from the shaky global economy, saying 2016 has opened with a “dangerous cocktail of new threats”"

Independent:

Times:

Prince George photographed at first day of nursery

Mail:
Mac on... The dangers of alcohol

'Yes, dear: I think your peppermints are working. I haven't even thought of a drink for two day.'

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't get it, Mac.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I don't get it either but I am liking that he drew Cleopatra Jones in there.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Can we maybe finally try to get him sectioned?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Quitting drinking and having enthusiastic relations with many ladies of different ethnicities sounds like a positive life goal for Mac.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I for one won't stand for this raunch in my family newspaper

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white

nobodyssweetheart posted:

Maybe March. It's up to me, I have to set my own schedule. I'm being flown in to do some teaching (in London) but they asked me when I want to come.
I was in two years ago and visited all the major galleries, had a train to Leeds mysteriously rerouted to Manchester for no reason and then got rained on a lot. Had those experiences already.

Really, truly... I want to see all the beautiful moments captured in these politoons in real life!
There's the cartoon museum as well, if you haven't already been to that one. It's not just political cartoons, but it does have a lot from throughout history.

http://cartoonmuseum.org/exhibitions

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Strange how often people ask/complain why Cameron is a pink condom blob but no one minds Osborne is in a gimp mask, chains, swim fins, and pig tail.

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on... The dangers of alcohol

'Yes, dear: I think your peppermints are working. I haven't even thought of a drink for two days.'
Mac did this exact premise last(?) year with dumpy husband cavorting with girlies while wife says "He hasn't thought about a cigarette in 36 hours!" Of Mac's crimes, creating clones isn't high on the list...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strange how often people ask/complain why Cameron is a pink condom blob but no one minds Osborne is in a gimp mask, chains, swim fins, and pig tail.
Well, most of those are matters of record. The pig tail has another twist in it (:downs:) given recent allegations about Dave though.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I didn't ask because I didn't realize that was supposed to be an actual person. I'm not British, so I'm only passing familiar with UK politics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fearless posted:

I didn't ask because I didn't realize that was supposed to be an actual person. I'm not British, so I'm only passing familiar with UK politics.

Don't worry, we're not sure he's an actual person either.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Gimp mask and chains: he loves the pain of inflicting austerity. Pig tail: probably because of all the economic predictions that never come true, i.e. lies. Swim fins are new in this 'toon, I think; it's been wet recently.

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on drinking guidelines and Osborne’s ‘cocktail of threats’ – New alcohol guidelines have been defended, with officials insisting the advice is not scaremongering but ‘hard science’"

Telegraph:

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"David Cameron exposed: the Tory right tightens its grip - Chris Riddell on the prime minister’s European referendum dilemma"

Sunday Telegraph:

Ken Livingstone at war with Michael Dugher over who runs Labour

Independent on Sunday:

the i paper

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent on Sunday:

poor Ed Miliband

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent on Sunday:

I'm wondering where that's meant to be in the second panel?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

I think it's that blocked off Syrian town that recently allowed food supplies to come in.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

awesome-express posted:

I think it's that blocked off Syrian town that recently allowed food supplies to come in.

Or Syria in general, yes.

Also Miliband's had his flippers for like a year now. I think its just part of the gimp costume.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pilchenstein posted:

I got confused for a moment there, too, but apparently it does snow in the Middle East.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/middle-east-snow-winter-storms-hit-syria-israel-palestine-lebanon-turkey-1482376

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Cliff Racer posted:

Also Miliband's Osborne had his flippers for like a year now. I think its just part of the gimp costume.

Yeah, he's always had flipper-footed tights, just a Bell-ism for "gimp wear," since 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqBcclS6Oxc&t=122s
(it's around the 2 min mark if it doesn't automatically start there)

Since all cartoon versions of G.O. are repulsive (see every post on this page), I've come to accept the hood as what he is supposed to look like.

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 10, 2016

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Huh. I was wrong about the flippers. Apologies.

Guardian

"Martin Rowson on David Cameron's EU deal – The prime minister has moved to sever any link between the EU referendum and his own political future by stating he will remain prime minister even if he loses the vote on British membership"

Telegraph:

David Cameron: parents should be taught how to control children

Independent:

David Cameron vows to ‘blitz’ poverty by demolishing UK's worst sink estates

Times:

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

rip big man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

tdrules posted:

rip big man

First Lemmy and then Bowie, it's been a rough couple of weeks. Especially since we're still left with that loving hack Bieber.