Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

ChairMaster posted:

Wait is that new art? I haven't followed the thread for a while cause it moves so fast but... Mark Trail has new art now? Is it not just an unending parade of clip art rearranged and pasted together in slightly different ways to make it into different stories?

It got a new artist a while ago and he seems to actually draw the strips instead of compiling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I picture Delta looking her old friends up on Facebook and thinking "Thank God I got the hell out of that town."
Did the Evanses even bother to cook up an excuse for where the other characters who have inexplicably vanished went? I remember the Delta thing smacking of deliberately writing off the black character, but a couple of other former regulars just dropped off the face of the strip entirely.

And the worst part is they still subject us to loving Gunther.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Manuel Calavera posted:

Tina's Groove by Rina Piccolo in 2002 (who is one of the contributors of Six Chix), follows the staff of Pepper's Restaurant. Particularly Tina, the title character. It's relatively realistic about restaurant life.

There's a reason Tina has the haunted look of a Vietnam vet.

Not an edit. Seriously.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
There are certain Christian theologians who take Eve and the apple at face value and believe that knowledge of sin is a prerequisite to being an actual sinner, that it involves full consent of the will to actually do something to send you to to Hell. Under that theory, evangelism could easily be read as a Heaven gentrification project. You didn't know about the lake of fire? Sorry chump, we posted a notice and everything...

Somehow this ties into today's Pogo, which is about whether superstitions exist without people believing in them. (January 4, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (December 21-23, 1953)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Scary Gary

Intelligent Life

Retail

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Intelligent Life is a crime against human proportion.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Because of course he can't just wave hi like a normal human being.

I'm amazed one of them isn't wearing one of those huge stripey Fourth Doctor scarves just to make it absolutely, positively clear that these are geeks, not mere mortals....

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Odonata posted:

Gasoline Alley is leaving us hanging. What shocking thing did mom and dad have to say to the Big Boog? Can we stand the suspense for just one more day?

I wish 2015 a fond farewell as he moves on to his shift as the grim specter of death.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

Did the Evanses even bother to cook up an excuse for where the other characters who have inexplicably vanished went? I remember the Delta thing smacking of deliberately writing off the black character, but a couple of other former regulars just dropped off the face of the strip entirely.

And the worst part is they still subject us to loving Gunther.

There was an excuse. Delta went away to college. It still comes off as deliberately getting rid of the woman of color, though, especially since the second biggest cast member to get get the boot was Gunther's spicy Latina girlfriend, Rosa. She decided to give up a Harvard education in order to stay in South America and suck up resources carry sticks around save the poverty-stricken locals with the power of her high school education.

But at least now Gunther is free to date a white!

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

This is blatantly illegal.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

This is blatantly illegal.

Yeah, I don't know what differences there might have been in search and seizure laws between 1945 and today, but I have the same feeling.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

kidcoelacanth posted:

Intelligent Life is a crime against human proportion.

It also looks like he's trying to copy certain styles, or just has a weird selection of references. Like the one dude is straight up Peter Griffin.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

:roflolmao:

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm sure this is well-trod ground for the comics thread, but my god, the number of rerun strips in the newspaper is depressing. There's loads of cartoonists out there, so I'm assuming it's an audience issue, as only old people and children visiting their grandparents' house that doesn't have wi-fi read newspaper comics anymore. Still, good lord.
The thing is, the only people who care about the comics in the newspapers are ludicrously attached to them and will send in mountains of complaint letters if any of the familiar ones are replaced.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Family Circus created by Bill(y) Keane in 1960, now authored by his son, Jeff(y) Keane.
The author (and father in the comic) is Bil. Billy is one of the children in the comic, most closely based on Glen, Bil's third child. Thel is based on Bil's wife, Thelma, Dolly is based on their eldest child, Gayle and Jeffy is based on the current author, Jeff, the youngest of the siblings. PJ isn't based on anyone specific.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Foob, better known as For Better or For Worse by Lynn Johnston, ran from 1979 to 2008, and rebooted in 2010 as new "reruns", wherein Lynn is redrawing parts of the story and rewriting some things.
For a couple of years Lynn was adding and rewriting stuff, but then she basically gave that up and it's mostly just the original strips now.

Every year you see this "joke" about grown adults who somehow can't manage to stay awake till midnight one night a year. What the hell is wrong with these people?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's the same reason so many strips make golf jokes.

Newspaper comic strip writers are some of the most boring people alive.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did they rip the store out of the ground and drop it in that neighborhood?
The outside looks like an Apple Store, but the interior is a huge open pit so that anyone who actually goes into an Apple Store falls, presumably to their death. This pleases the old people commenting on the situation, who find both Young People and Gizmos to be irritating and worrisome.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Manuel Calavera posted:

Foob, better known as For Better or For Worse by Lynn Johnston, ran from 1979 to 2008, and rebooted in 2010 as new "reruns", wherein Lynn is redrawing parts of the story and rewriting some things. Not that it's helping, she's still kind of nutty. Foob was a perjorative used in one of the later strips, and the name stuck.
If I remember right, they're just straight reruns now, with no changes from Lynn anymore.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did they rip the store out of the ground and drop it in that neighborhood?
The store has no floor so that when hipsters go in they fall into the void and are never heard from again.

F Minus

The downfall of America.

Mary Worth

Old, alone, and living vicariously through the lives of others?

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

"Don't drink, don't smoke. What do you do?"

Edit: Have a Red and Rover because I got beat twice.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 3, 2016

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This is gonna be one of those reader vote things, isn't it?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

My Lovely Horse posted:

This is gonna be one of those reader vote things, isn't it?

Nah this is Intelligent Life. The lady will just name it random nerd thing. Which will be funny because nerd reference.

Then family guy rip off guy will my googlly eyes at her because she made a nerd reference and she's female. and then the end.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

"Don't drink, don't smoke. What do you do?"

"Subtle innuendos follow. There must be something inside"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Trilobite posted:

The outside looks like an Apple Store, but the interior is a huge open pit so that anyone who actually goes into an Apple Store falls, presumably to their death. This pleases the old people commenting on the situation, who find both Young People and Gizmos to be irritating and worrisome.

:doh:

I was looking at it like the guys were inside the store and the edge of the hole was the outside.

Anyway, Pluggers is all kinds of wrong today:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mister Kingdom posted:

If the woman is also a dog, then what does that mean?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Green Intern posted:

If the woman is also a dog, then what does that mean?
She's just taking her little brother for a walk, nothing weird about it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

She's just taking her little brother for a walk, nothing weird about it.

:shittypop:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That reminds me, where did the Creeps reruns go?

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mister Kingdom posted:

:doh:

I was looking at it like the guys were inside the store and the edge of the hole was the outside.

LEVEL 1: You read the thought bubble and think, “Wow, a dirt old perv.”- Expected.

LEVEL 2: You read the descriptive text and think, “Old pervs prefer poodles?”- Gross.

LEVEL 3: You realize the old perv and lady are both dogs. The true horror of what you are seeing dawns on you:

You take a long, hot shower, but you can never feel clean again.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
And now for something a little more tasteful, but not necessarily good :

Broom Hilda

Gasoline Alley -

Heavenly Nostrils

Big Nate

Ziggy

Cul de Sac

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Odonata posted:

Gasoline Alley -

Jesus that may be one of the worst single steps in the thread. I don't know what about it exactly it's just terrible.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Zereth posted:

That reminds me, where did the Creeps reruns go?

I got bored with them and quit. You're welcome to pick them back up if you want to, I've got my hands full enough with these That Wasn't Supposed to Happen Comix.

Oh come on, Poncho. Uber would have been cheaper and you get a better ride.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Some dumb motherfucker always makes fun of Darth Vader.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail knows that nature is fickle and will undo even the noblest works of man:

Pearls Before Swine

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

RandomFerret posted:

Oh come on, Poncho. Uber would have been cheaper and you get a better ride.

I guess even poncho has limits.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Ahh, so that's why the dog is always eating out of the trash.

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (January 5, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft approaches the sadness of senility from an unusual angle by making me feel like I don't know the English language.

Pogo: Last week, Owl invented talk radio. This week, Churchy offers some appropriate listener feedback. (October 3, 1965)

Out Our Way (July 11-12, 1928)

And we end with Williams commiserating with the man on the front line. :patriot:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

Ahh, so that's why the dog is always eating out of the trash.
You missed 34, not counting the National Championship Game, including two of the contract bowls.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Sunday Edition of The Heart of Juliet Jones is wrapping up, so I'll just do a brief sum-up: A couple of conmen got into a property deal with Julie's dad in an attempt to steal his life savings and make her look bad as the mayor of Devon. Then Pops found One Weird Trick to Get Out of Bad Land Deals!

drat, that's a fine goat.

Prince Valiant and his daughter are on a voyage into Asia to return some kind of magic book or something to its homeland. Prester John might be involved in some way, but he was last mentioned a long time ago and I don't remember what he has to do with anything. Also IRL Prester John just turned out to be Genghis Kahn and lots of people got slaughtered, so we'll see how this turns out for Val and his friends.

In the Sunday Edition of Phantom Classic, Phantom was skinny dipping in a pond and some bird stole his ring off a rock and blah blah blah the ring finally ended up in the hands of some random small-time thug named Fatsy. He quickly noticed that the jungle natives will do anything somebody wearing Phantom's ring tells them to, so he started taking undue advantage of the situation. While Phantom is having a pretty tough time locating his ring, Fatsy's sudden wealth has not gone unnoticed by pretty much anybody else, which leads us to today.

Big Ben Bolt's Sunday story is also wrapping up. We'll just say that Fasso is a jailbird for whom Ben pulled some strings to arrange parole after noticing he's good at boxing. A couple of crooks wanted to derail Fasso's plan to go straight by trying to fix his very first fight. Fasso's conscience and gratitude to Ben prevailed and he did not throw the fight as ordered.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I see the Sunday and daily colorists still aren't speaking to each other.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing J-Man

That mug. :allears:

But the mustache is certainly not doing him any favors on either mug.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the info/corrections Tiggum and Johnny Walker.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot we've already seen classics in the thread. A daily from 1988 - 2006, now Sundays only, by artist & author Bill Amend. Follows the life of the Fox family. It's a better nerd comic than Intelligent Life, and better at tech than Compu-Toon by far. Amend seems to actually have some semblance of understanding these things usually.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Woof.

Odonata posted:

Cul de Sac

This hits too close to home *smek* *smek*

Hey new thread, I post old comics, lovingly culled from Google Newspaper scans (which is why the quality is at times, well, poo poo). These dates may be a year or two off, I haven't really kept track. I'm also including wiki links - which will give more detail for each strip then I ever could (or want to).

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)
These are from scans given to me by another SA member - sorry, I forgot who, but thank you! This strip began in 1904, we're on about the 80th strip. By Windsor McCay.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_of_the_Rarebit_Fiend

Outbusts of Everett True
~1910. A thread favorite, I think. By Condo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outbursts_of_Everett_True

Fritzi Ritz
~1938. This strip began with Fritzi (Nancy's Aunt) as the star, but eventually put Nancy front and center. I think someone is already posting old Nancy strips, so when the newspaper changes the name of the strip to "Nancy" I'll stop posting this one. I'll look for a new/old strip to post - suggestions welcome!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritzi_Ritz

Sick, Sick, Sick (click for big)
~1958. An oddity from the Village Voice by satirist Jules Feiffer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Feiffer

(yep, I have the whole thing - coming soon)

Wee Pals
~1971. Thread favorite and former thread title inspiration by Morrie Turner.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wee_Pals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

gently caress you Piraro.

• Locked thread