Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Foxtrot we've already seen classics in the thread. A daily from 1988 - 2006, now Sundays only, by artist & author Bill Amend. Follows the life of the Fox family. It's a better nerd comic than Intelligent Life, and better at tech than Compu-Toon by far. Amend seems to actually have some semblance of understanding these things usually.

The man semi-retired to play more WoW; his nerd credentials are strong. Plus I think he has a legit physics degree or something like that. All I know is that as a young kid it meant a lot to me that there was a comic where a character liked math and computers as much as I did, so Bill Amend is pretty rad in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kids these days and their tango music :argh:

e. let's take care of the obvious one.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 3, 2016

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 12/28/14

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

:stonk::fh::cthulhu:

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Wahoo Terminal is pretty funny most days. If it was from anyone else, I reckon the thread would give it more of a pass.

Flash Gordon
Flash Gordon is a long running pulp sci-fi strip that updates on Sundays. It started in 1934, and still feels fresh. I don't tend to post it regularly, only when I feel I need to atone for my views on McEldowney.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aardmania posted:

Gil 12/28/14

She has a storage hutch that's exclusively for potatoes?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Wanamingo posted:

We had a hutch like that growing up. One bin for onions, one bin for potatoes, a small bin for garlic.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Wanamingo posted:

What kind of weirdo upbringing did you have that you've never seen a Tater box before?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Aztec posted:

What kind of weirdo upbringing did you have that you've never seen a Tater box before?

My secret shame :negative:

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Milotic posted:

Wahoo Terminal is pretty funny most days. If it was from anyone else, I reckon the thread would give it more of a pass.
Possibly. Knowing what a creepy, pompous garbage heap Brooke is definitely casts a dark shadow over that strip, to the point where I genuinely can't form an unbiased opinion of it. I mean, it's less terrible and icky than 9CL or Pibgorn, but I know the writer is the most terrible and icky part of those strips. As a result, I'm perpetually half-cringing when I read Wahoo Terminal, just waiting for him to do what he does.

But I am interested in Flash Gordon, so by all means, continue atoning!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set struggles with new technologies.

Working Daze starts the new year off with some fetish murder.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix has an existential paradox.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

The Sphinxster posted:

gently caress you Piraro.

drat, beaten.

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Wait, where are Moomin's mouths, anyway? Are they under the nose thing?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sorry, not sorry.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Outland is a Sunday-only strip, done by Berkeley Breathed as a follow-up to Bloom County, which was a follow-up to his collegiate strip The Academia Waltz. Outland ran from 1989 through 1995. Principal characters include Opus, a neurotic penguin; Milquetoast, a neurotic cock-roach; Ronald-Ann, a precocious young girl named for Pres. Reagan; and Bill The Cat, a brain-damaged feline with a history of drugs, rock'n'roll, presidential campaigning, and romantic involvement with a score of unlikely women.

Ripley's

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

Newspaper Spider-Man

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way

EasyEW posted:

Funny Winkerbean

Julet Esqu posted:

Newspaper Spider-Man

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kumaton posted:

Wait, where are Moomin's mouths, anyway? Are they under the nose thing?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Welcome back, you magnificent, magnificent bastard.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

You're a treasure, R Ubbish.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs

Milotic posted:

Flash Gordon

Wow, I haven't followed Flash gordon in ages. When did jim keefe take over?
I'm certain someone else was doing it the last time I read it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hiya, buddy, how you been? Glad to have you back. :swoon:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Odonata posted:

LEVEL 1: You read the thought bubble and think, “Wow, a dirt old perv.”- Expected.

LEVEL 2: You read the descriptive text and think, “Old pervs prefer poodles?”- Gross.

LEVEL 3: You realize the old perv and lady are both dogs. The true horror of what you are seeing dawns on you:

You take a long, hot shower, but you can never feel clean again.
Actually I'm pretty sure that guy is a bear.

If King Features had any kind of marketing savvy, that mug would be on sale right now. The URL to their store page would be printed right on the comic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Classic Dinette Set struggles with new technologies.

Appropriately enough, the comic's tiny enough I'm having trouble reading it on my screen. Could you post it in a bigger size?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Hooray!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Appropriately enough, the comic's tiny enough I'm having trouble reading it on my screen. Could you post it in a bigger size?

How did you get the bigger one? GoComics doesn't let me do that for the old ones.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Don't you know, that no non-professional grade set of walkie talkies work at anywhere near their advertised range? This includes ones for adults, not just the super lovely kids toy versions.

Monty

Mike du Jour

Scary Gary

Intelligent Life

Retail

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

UN resolutions promise big things, but are nonbinding and do not need to be followed. An International Relations Comic.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Inspector Danger

That poor bartender.

Deep Dark Fears

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

And now, so do I.

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

I usually don't share the artist's fears, but then I get to thinking about them and suddenly I do share them. This one, for example, seemed stupid at first but now I think it's terrifying.

^^ :hfive: ^^

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County 2015

Skippy (November 5, 1928)

Peanuts (January 2, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (July 13-14, 1928)

Thimble Theater (July 23, 1929)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

Wait, his cousin calls him uncle? Is this one of those "I'm My Own Grandpa" things?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Between Gabe's soulless eyes and the bizarre "Let's spend a couple of days in a cave together" setup, this is reading like the beginning of a weird horror movie.

Pearls Before Swine

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

And since I rather liked it when it was posted here...

Pros and Cons

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail

Between Gabe's soulless eyes and the bizarre "Let's spend a couple of days in a cave together" setup, this is reading like the beginning of a weird horror movie.

Between this lumpy guy and Amphibious Action Fivehead Ken, it's looking like James Allen has been putting real people in the strip so they can fulfill their lifelong dream of hanging out with a muscly outdoorsman cartoon character. Whether he's just drawing his fat dad buddies for laughs or earning some cash on the side from internet perverts remains to be seen.

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

Hooray :D

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Between this lumpy guy and Amphibious Action Fivehead Ken, it's looking like James Allen has been putting real people in the strip so they can fulfill their lifelong dream of hanging out with a muscly outdoorsman cartoon character. Whether he's just drawing his fat dad buddies for laughs or earning some cash on the side from internet perverts remains to be seen.

I think it's fat dad buddies and that fact makes me really happy for some reason

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo features the adventures of the diminutive King Aroo, monarch of Myopia, and his loyal servant Yupyop. The strip ran from late 1950 until 1965.

King Aroo (December 9 & 11, 1950)

Barnaby features the titular Barnaby and his Fairy Godfather, a cigar-smoking Irishman named O'Malley. Created by Crockett Johnson of Harold and the Purple Crayon fame, this strip ran daily in the leftist paper PM between 1942 and 1952.

Barnaby (May 16 & 18, 1942)

An evolution of Ernie Bushmiller's earlier strip, Fritzi Ritz, Nancy centers around the misadventures of the titular character and her roughneck beau Sluggo.

Nancy (January 25, 1943)

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

dismas posted:

I think it's fat dad buddies and that fact makes me really happy for some reason

I keep thinking back to doughy-looking Ken taking off his shirt to reveal Hulk muscles and clobbering the bejeezus out of some armed bad guys and now I agree with you on both counts.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

changes to scripts are normal, except when they are about Lisa, then they are bad, and show that the studio does not understand My Vision

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Captain Novolin posted:

changes to scripts are normal, except when they are about Lisa, then they are bad, and show that the studio does not understand My Vision

Isn't the movie about Starbuck Jones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

I don't get it. What was the original strip?

Selachian posted:

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

Wait, his cousin calls him uncle? Is this one of those "I'm My Own Grandpa" things?

He does specify that this is his stupid cousin.

• Locked thread