Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pooch Café is a comic strip by Paul Gilligan about an allen key-shaped dog who is just a real rear end in a top hat. What a super dick this dog is, you don't even know. If you're new to the strip, he might not seem so bad. Just wait.

Ballard Street is a daily one-panel by Jerry Van Amerongen that offers glimpses into the lives of the people that live in a particular suburban neighbourhood. In practice, it reads like a man having a new yorker caption contest with himself and losing.

Lost Side of Suburbia is by Kory Merritt and it's online-only, but he's worked with Paul Gilligan before and it's hosted on GoComics and I like it, so I post it. This one is not very easy to explain in two sentences, and the current storyline brings back a ton of characters and settings from previous stories, so if it looks interesting you should just go catch up on it from the beginning. There's a bit in there that starts off as a tribute to Calvin and Hobbes and then gets kind of uncomfortable and weird, so you have that to look forward to!

I post edits sometimes too. I have two regular series going on that I haven't added to in like a year:

Hägar the Historically-Accurate Viking

Full gallery: http://imgur.com/a/goA13

Everybody is an rear end in a top hat to Winnie the Pooh

Full gallery: http://imgur.com/a/oH6NE

(I only edited like half of those. The Pooh newspaper strip has a much different tone than the disney movies.)

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol

This is blatantly illegal.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's the same reason so many strips make golf jokes.

Newspaper comic strip writers are some of the most boring people alive.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Zereth posted:

That reminds me, where did the Creeps reruns go?

I got bored with them and quit. You're welcome to pick them back up if you want to, I've got my hands full enough with these That Wasn't Supposed to Happen Comix.

Oh come on, Poncho. Uber would have been cheaper and you get a better ride.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Some dumb motherfucker always makes fun of Darth Vader.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

amishjosh posted:

There are a handful of the old duck and coconut ones too still on the laptop, along with a janes world/some game i can't remember edit i have saved as loden comic.

God drat, edits used to be art back in the day. Hey, speaking of...

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

FINE I CAN TAKE A HINT

Hagar the Historically Accurate 2016

At some point I stopped replacing text with historical references and started trying to write jokes that actual vikings would find funny.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Here comes a big wall of late comics! Or should I say... Late Dog Comics???

Pooch Café

Poncho's been walking around on his own for a while now. Hopefully the SPCA will pick him up soon and take him to a pro-kill shelter. Woah okay that got a little intense even for me.

Ballard Street

I think I should go join Gary's club for a bit.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Cindy Fogle was the first child we ever saw get taken.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

All comics are bad, and this thread is nothing more than a treatment plant for Raw Sewage Comix.

Pooch Café

gently caress that literal poo poo.

Ballard Street

Oh nice job, colourist. You made it look like a lovely cardboard box when it's actually lovingly handcrafted out of dowels and sound-dampening fabric.

Lost Side of Suburbia

"Okay, show of hands, who thought she was dead already? Just me? Really, nobody else thought that the kid's sister was definitely dead this whole time? Well okay then, guess there's egg on my face. ...Really though, everybody thought she was alive? Everybody? Margo??"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

H. Jon Benjamin for Rip or nothing!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

FactsAreUseless posted:

Patrick Warburton

Patrick Warburton is Detective DeFoe, Jon Benjamin is Rip Haywire, George Lowe is The Phantom and Keith David is Flimm.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You know what's bad? Bad Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

Oldest trick in the book, but it still works. Just last week my aunt and uncle got robbed by two guys that pretended to be lamps for the better part of an evening.

Ballard Street

I'd be a pretty big hypocrite if I said anything about this, considering I do that too.

Lost Side of Suburbia

I know there's no dogs in this one. At this point, I'm calling Dog Comix if there's two out of three.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

dirksteadfast posted:

Did he move the top half of that woman to fit the speech bubble in and then forget to remove the bottom half?

That is exactly what he did.

First time I ever laughed at an unedited Intelligent Life.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sick, Sick, Sick is awesome because it was in the Village Voice. The average person back then would have looked at it like we look at MiniSec. Or rather, like we used to. RIP Stephanie McMillan. Looking in the Wrong Place Comix.

Pooch Café

Hudson! This is a newspaper comic!

Ballard Street

Carl's the one in the purple, and he's the only one still taking photos of the other members' butts as intended.

Lost Side of Suburbia

God drat it, just let the kid be with his sister. He's right about everything he's said so far! You're just setting him up to be the guy that bites it after agreeing to go on one last mission!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Shedding Dog Comix

Is this a theme week?

Ballard Street

I like to imagine he keeps dropping old man pocket garbage the whole way down the street. It's just a trail of combs, nickels and old receipts all the way to the post office.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Wherein a child gets so angry that he spontaneously grows a neckbeard.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Maybe they don't know about his dark side. Maybe nobody does.

We only see Everett when poo poo's about to go down, it could be he spends most of his life in relative mediocrity. People know there's something going on in this town, but nobody knows quite what. Mrs. Henderson down the road said that her husband was trampled by a large runaway bull while out enjoying a new brand of cigar with a particularly hearty aroma, and folk downtown say a wrecking ball came to life and battered a rude young man of the 'teen' ages just yesterday, but nobody can connect the two or any of the hundreds of similar incidents.

All they know is that none of the victims have ever spoken of it, and they all seem terrified of striped circus tents.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Please enjoy Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

We are learning a lot of background details in this arc. Good worldbuilding.

Ballard Street

Later on the dog caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror and decided that it looked pretty cool.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Kleguelo finally sees his chance and takes it. He silently thanks his power tie.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You know what, I'm all spry on Grolsch, let's have an early gently caress You Friday Comix!

Fucky Winterbutt

Pooch Café

At some point, Poncho learned how to tie a noose. That's bad for everybody.

Ballard Street

Come to SA instead, everybody loves you here. And frankly, we could use the extra numbers.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Man, gently caress this guy.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I am FREAKING OUT COMIX.

Pooch Café

I like the detail that the carpet isn't just free of hair, it's noticeably lighter where the vacuum track is. I don't know if that was baked into the black and white original or if a syndicate colourist finally deserves credit for something.

Ballard Street

Black coffee and donuts will do that to you.

Lost Side of Suburbia

This strip loves tonal shifts. In one page, it can go from a cute little Wizard of Oz homage to HOW THEY GONNA DO GOATSUCKER LIKE THAT

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Kumaton posted:

So I've always wondered, after that "Pluggers don't shut the gently caress up about their kids/grandkids" strip, why we don't see any of the kids. After this strip, though, I realized - the kids of the average Plugger couple would be loving horrifying. Thanks, Mr. Brookins.

Could be simpler than that:

Who are You Trying to Fool Comix

Pooch Café

Hey! You can't just grab the front of his collar like that, it wasn't even depicted! You're making GBS threads all over artistic license here!

Ballard Street

It's called depression and it is a disease like any other disease that needs to be treated with a regimen of care and medication, not shame you piece of poo poo.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Oh drat it, I don't want her to be fake. Rufe's heart couldn't take it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

How's everybody's weekend been? Get some relaxation in? Want some Body Horror Comix?

Is it me, or would this strip actually make more sense if the panel order was reversed?

Lost Side of Suburbia

There's that tonal shift again. Who decided that this sequence needed a little cartoon character talking like a lolcat? George Lucas, was this you?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Be still, citizen. You are trapped in the safety of the Glowing Eye Comix.

Pooch Café

Something's been off about this little storyline for a while, but I just realized what it is. It's a robot vacuum cleaner, but it still looks like a Sears model from the 60s or something. We have actual robot vacuum cleaners now, and they don't look like that.

Ballard Street

I took a close look at this, and the mechanics of it check out. There's no gearing, but the size difference between the hamster wheel and the cart's wheels should provide enough of a torque transition to let the hamster power the contraption.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Slynderfell's right, his rhymes are slipping.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

kidcoelacanth posted:

So very tempting to buy a smilie of this that will never be used.

Hell with that, it's our new gang tag.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Howard Beale posted:

Let's check the latest Twitter hilarity from Zakour and Roberts' in-character Twitter account that they totally wouldn't have just used the name for without checking first
https://twitter.com/overworked/status/579270756602810370
Oh.

So is it them or not? That seems exactly like the kind of lazy, tepid 'nerd culture' thing one of their characters would post.

Which character? It doesn't matter. They all have the same personality with a trite quirk pasted on top of it. Cynicomix!

Pooch Café

Everyone should carry around some pocket legos. They also make excellent caltrops and you can play with them when you get bored, I guess.

Ballard Street

I want to see Lenny and Lyle try that poo poo with Chet. He'd rip their forelimbs off.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Klegulo is rapidly rising the ranks of best characters.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Slammy posted:

Life In Hell

I love Life in Hell, thank you for posting it. It's the best thing Matt Groening's ever done.

Pooch Café

So if this follows the plot of The Terminator, is that dog going to end up siring Poncho's puppies?

Ballard Street

Plugger Minecraft.

Lost Side of Suburbia

It's a shame that part of the sequence is in monochrome. The lighting could have been really interesting.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Mrs. Palmer's dialogue ghostwritten by Winsor McCay's actual ghost.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pooch Café

This does not address the discrepancy in vacuum cleaner designs and you drat well know it.

Ballard Street

Just so we're all clear, Neal went out, set up his own police cordon with do not cross tape, and then ran through it in his gotchies.

Lost Side of Suburbia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IJMEd8mAIo

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What's your Damage Comix?

Pooch Café

This is the second time the strip has referenced this exact scene, and the second time I have made this exact edit.

Ballard Street

Huh. I've never seen a doggy screen door. I imagine they're not very common for this exact reason.

Lost Side of Suburbia

I don't think these two strips were ever intended to be right next to each other on the same page like this.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big)

Sixty years. It's been sixty goddamn years. This is social commentary, it's not a stupid cat talking about lasagna, these should not still be so relevant. I've said it before, but the Village Voice and Feiffer in particular was really socially conscious, enough to see all of this coming, and try to warn us.

The fact that we can still relate to these strips means that they failed.

We Failed Comix.

I think I fought those things in Earthbound.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Okay, that ending was abrupt, but I think it fits. I'll be starting a new strip tomorrow. See you all then!

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 24, 2016

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

EasyEW posted:

And as our two stooges shuffle off to Buffalo (and we offer thanks that they skipped over 69), we say goodbye to our full-color Sundays with Pogo. If you somehow can't live without it, Whirled of Kelly is still a going concern, and the backlog has plenty that you may have missed.

Weekday Pogo strips will keep going until my demands are met or until I catch up with where I started. Whichever comes first.

Thank you for posting these.

I think every comic artist working today will agree that Pogo is a huge influence, and a huge influence on their other influences.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Do you want to have a Bad Timing Comix?

Pooch Café

I sometimes think about what the quickest, surest way to profit from time travel would be. Stock tips are an okay idea, but they still require some up-front capital and take time to pay off. Obviously if you've got a reusable time machine waiting's no problem, but what about a one-way trip like this one? You can't bring back any technology to reverse-engineer, either.

Ballard Street

We set one of those up outside my work, and we had to take the door off because people kept smashing the glass to steal the books. It was never locked.

Sometimes the communities that don't seem ready for these ideas are the ones that need them the most.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Do you understand me? If you feel any fear at all, you will die a bloody, violent death, just like your friend that I'm only telling you about now. Don't think about her dying slowly and painfully because that might make you think about what will happen to you if you get scared and whatever you do you can't be scared OH GOD DON'T BE SCARED

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

You see that? That's a Patrick Warburton character if there ever was one!

Pooch Café

Wolfie's fine, John.

Ballard Street

If you have a problem with ferrets, you're a racist.

There, I said it.

Lost Side of Suburbia

I like how Slynderfell doesn't take any action to stop Rufus, and instead immediately starts thinking of who to blame. He's a manager, through and through.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ernie Bushmiller was never an artist, he was a craftsman. He didn't write the best jokes, but he put them together efficiently and with as little waste as possible.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ah, now see, if we hadn't been reading Fritzi Ritz and early Nancy at the same time, we would have completely missed the fact that Sluggo was using his police connections to dig up dirt on that cop!

Like I said, Bushmiller wasn't the best writer around, but he did stick to his Continuity Comix!

Pooch Café

I was going to say something about Future Dog's facial expression, but then I started thinking about his scar and how we normally don't see scars on dogs like that. Then I realized why he's pink. His fur couldn't make the trip back! The real Kyle Reese showed up naked too, even though cotton jeans and leather boots are organic material, just dead. I guess fur counts as non-living too, although now it makes me wonder why in Terminator everybody shows up with a full head of hair.

Good comics like this one really make you think.

Ballard Street

Last time we saw Lyle, he was holding his dog above his head while stealing people's hats. I guess that holding things above his head addiction is finally coming home to roost.

Lost Side of Suburbia

It was always going to be these two facing down Flymm. It ends the way it started.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

How about some Noisy Dog Comix?

Pooch Café

Man, that guy looks like he's got an interesting story to tell.

Ballard Street

Bad dog! Flashy stick twirling and gimmicks does not make up for a lack of fundamentals! Bad!

Lost Side of Suburbia

That ice cream pail way in the back strikes a chord with me. Rankin-Bass would produce a hell of a cartoon of this.

I'm not thinking so much of the quality of the animation, but of their tendency to cast actors in their thirties using their undisguised voices for every character, including weird monsters and children.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Of course, they're the Phantom's kids and they wander around the Deep Woods for fun. I know we don't see them getting into much trouble, but the jungle is, unsurprisingly, More Dangerous than it Looks Comix.

Pooch Café

Special thanks to guest writer, Rip Haywire's Dan Thompson!

Ballard Street

Thankfully, not the same Everett we've already met. The staff at the Parks and Rec department get to live another day.

Lost Side of Suburbia

This is the second time the strip's hinted that Flimm is just a little bug that talks big.

So there's no way that's actually going to be the case.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What the Hell is That Comix??

Pooch Café

Ballard Street

Gee, isn't he a little old to be having The Talk?

Lost Side of Suburbia

Reminder to read Flimm's dialogue in the voice of Keith David.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Are you ready to get Ground into the Dirt Comix??

Oh what the gently caress, dude??? We had a fine little pastiche going for the sorely underappreciated Terminator 1, and now you gotta go and spoil that by cramming in the ending from T2? You just want to get the thumbs up shot in there at some point. I'm onto you.

Ballard Street

I really like this. Don't have much more to say.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Thanks for the ominous chapter title.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

treasureplane posted:

Wash Tubbs (November 5, 1928)

God drat it The Past, can you please stop being so loving racist

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Please stay away from the red glowing spot on my back. I assure you, I have no Secret Weakness Comix.

Pooch Café

Next time, the vacuums will send something different. Something without the same weaknesses, something that can adapt itself to any situation.

A wet/dry vac.

Ballard Street

I wonder if it's Jerry's idea or the syndicate colourist's that everybody has day-glo socks.

Lost Side of Suburbia

I'm getting a Psychonauts vibe from the art this week.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Dog Comix at the Movies!

Pooch Café

Wait, seriously? You're not going to reference the thumbs up shot at all?

Well poo poo.

Ballard Street

Hey! Bad! Hats off indoors!

Lost Side of Suburbia

Biff's starting to look a little Slyndy-eyed.

What if the 3D glasses effect is a visual metaphor for being trapped in the world Flimm creates for you? I wouldn't be surprised if the whole ice cream factory disappears after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You know what the real answer is.

In honour of Jackelrod, here's the only edit of mine that I could find.

Maybe it's not the most honourable thing. Good Send-off Comix?

Pooch Café

I don't think people appreciate escalators as much as they should. When you really think about it, they're amazing. And super complicated, too. You ever look inside one while they're doing maintenance work on it? Any one of those parts goes wrong and you're ground meat, kid. Ground meat.

Ballard Street

That's called a cellar, Ted. You already have one under the main part of the house.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Bottom right, in between Lars and Brandon Small. You didn't think we'd moved past that story arc, did you?

Oh, and while I was looking for that Mark Trail edit, I also found this, which I don't think I ever posted here:

• Locked thread