Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EasyEW posted:

GA was good when Frank King was still doing it. Especially on Sundays.

:aaa:

I notice that old Sunday strips had an amazing color palette, mid to late 20th century did not, then with computer controlled gradients and so on they got good again. Anyone know the technical reason the early ones looked better than later ones?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

To update your references at least. Would a kid under 20 know what the Flintstones are anymore?

But a man-child of 30+ would. Who do you think is the audience?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

I skimmed this and thought for a beautiful minute that there was a John Cale opera.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vargo posted:

There is a 21 year gap between the oldest and the most recent song in Fritzi's playlist. Even if, generously, Fritzi was a young child when she first heard The Beatles, she'd be in her late 20s-pushing 30 when The Cars came around. There are two distinctly different generations here, and they would come around at very different times in Fritzi's life, evoking completely different memories, feelings, and emotions.

I think this is what pisses me off the most about Gilchrist's musical wankery: He pretty much just classifies everything that's not "now" (with the hip-hop music and the Justin Biebers) as one homogonized idea, like it all counts equally. Which would almost be acceptable, except the character we're talking about is supposed to be a MUSICAL JOURNALIST, and should know better than that. All this says is "They don't make 'em like they used to," which makes no sense when you show several decades of changing trends as all equally good.

What's the cut-off for Gilchrist? We've seen him jerk it to the Everly Brothers and late-period Tom Petty in the same strip before. Does it go by "classic rock radio" rules? Would Nirvana, a band whose lead singer has been dead for 22 years, still be too recent for Fritzi to wear their T-shirt over her tits? Beck? Pearl Jam? Weezer?

Also, WHO THE HELL IS THIS SUPPOSED TO APPEAL TO?

EDIT: Well, this was a terrible start to a new page. Here, have a random today's Get Fuzzy as penance:

http://www.somethingawful.com/your-band-sucks/your-genre-sucks-3/

quote:

Flip around your dial a little bit, and in no time you’ll come across a syndicated middle-aged DJ announcing his playlist. Do you maybe detect a hint of shame in his voice as he announces Def Leppard alongside Jimi Hendrix in his last computer-mandated set? No, you don’t, because all classic rock DJs are dead inside.
At least we can credit hippies with more of a grasp on their own culture than classic rock radio programmers, since you’d be hard pressed to find a true sixties wild-child who’d walk over to his stereo and play a double-shot of Boston followed by classic tracks from Van Halen, Simon & Garfunkel, and Loverboy.
Much as I appreciate people who know how to turn up their noses at Journey, even “real” classic rock fans piss me off. For one thing, a lot of them like Pink Floyd, and that’s totally loving inexcusable no matter how many drugs you took. For another thing, they’re so wedded to the past that they’re going to be content listening to the same played-out garbage for the rest of their lives, and would gladly tell some young punk why The Jefferson Airplane is ten times better than what the kids are listening to these days, even though he has no idea what the kids have been listening to for the last thirty years and has no particular desire to find out.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:raise:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TyrsHTML posted:

Good job Ripleys, thats Elagabalus no one calls him Heliogabalus. And he ruled 218-222 AD. Only off by 400 years there.

By "no one" do you mean "everyone?"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

"I've done a lot of things, but answering to a Commie? Well, that's the Democrats for you."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Green Intern posted:

What a profoundly ugly building.

The art isn't great but I'm visualizing the building as intending to look like this:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Anora posted:

Is current Pluggers drawn by the guy who did/does Shoe?

Pluggers and Shoe were created by the late Jeff MacNelly and are both currently drawn by Gary Brookins.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Anora posted:

When did he die?

My Local newspaper gets a few complaints every now and then asking to Bring back Shoe, as it got replaced by Wumo. If Pluggers is any indication of what Shoe is now, an unprinted rectangle would be funnier.

He died back in 2000.

Shoe is not what it used to be.
http://joshreads.com/?cat=22

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

catlord posted:

On one hand, I like the idea of this, on the other hand, Budai isn't Gautama Buddha.

And Asian Jesus has Asian features, African Jesus has African features, and so on.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mister Kingdom posted:

Well, I was not expecting this.

I actually thought it was where this was going, but I didn't expect to be right.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Chimeric posted:

Wallace the Brave

Is it my imagination or is this strip's aesthetic aping Cul de Sac?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Calvin & Hobbes did not suffer from a bland title, so I guess titles aren't really that important.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kennel posted:

So who's the oldest active cartoonist nowadays?

Mort Walker's 92, Joe Giella's 87. Those are the oldest I can think of right now.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ZeeToo posted:

Wait, the oldest guy is called Mort Walker? :psyduck:

Yes. He does Beetle Bailey and created Hi and Lois.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Squishy posted:

Probably mom-uh not mo-muh. One of the irritating things RiR does is write out that baby's speech phonetically when it's speaking perfectly good english.

It's called eye dialect and it's one of the most tremendously annoying things in print.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lowen SoDium posted:

Better out of context.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrograde_ejaculation
:captainpop:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

idonotlikepeas posted:

Father Time, one of the mascots for the New Year, is often equipped with a scythe for basically the same reason that Death is. (The mascots are actually The Old Year and The New Year. The Old Year is generally depicted as Father Time.)

I thought Father Time is depicted with a scythe because of the conflation of Kronos and Chronos.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SomeMathGuy posted:

He was created in the 1960s, so yes, of course it is.

When did Phantom turn from "romance strip featuring a guy in purple long johns" to a proper adventure strip?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I like how no one's wearing yoga pants. It's all old-fashioned sweatsuit workout gear.

Given the age of the artist, I was expecting it to look like a 1980 aerobics studio.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

"Zip is another one of our wacky theatre friends!"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, they saw how Pearls Before Swine gets away with the bland, copy-pasted look and thought " Hey I can do that too!"

Funny you say that, Pastis explicitly has said that he was inspired by Dilbert, realizing that if Scott Adams could get away with that look he could too.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The largest crystals in the Naica mine are, according to the internet, 55 tons. So one of the largest is worth about $500.
If there were a hundred giant crystals, or the equivalent thereof, the cave would be worth $50,000 in gypsum. I don't know what it costs to get mining equipment to a location or how many people it takes to operate it or the cost to transport the gypsum but the profit can't be much if anything.

If you charge five bucks a head to tour the cave, you'd make a lot more money and also not destroy the only giant crystal cave in the world where you don't need protective gear. Jesus, Allen is a bad naturalist and a bad capitalist.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cassiopeia is another easy one to remember. It's a circumpolar constellation that is shaped like a W.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

dismas posted:

That seems like it'll be an art upgrade for sure.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Green Intern posted:

That hair is so awful, it's like her head is sitting inside an egg-chair.

That's hair? I thought it was a horribly drawn hoodie.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I wonder if that's a legitimate issue still in some old (still-occupied) houses. Is it possible for someone to have not bought a new appliance in the last several decades where they needed a 3-prong outlet?

It definitely is. It's a lot cheaper to get a handful of cheater plugs than to rewire a house.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kilo147 posted:

It's pretty simple. Get your bamboo and cut it into sections of equal length and sharpen one end of the sections to a point. You want to get it as sharp as is possible. Once you've done that, rotate the tips over a small fire until it starts to turn black, and remove. It should be sufficiently hardened and hold a point for a while.

If you want to be fancy, mount the sticks on a plate and set in a pit covered with leaf litter. If you're lazy, just dig a hole, push the sticks into the ground and cover as before.

Before covering, if you can, wipe feces on the end of the spikes. It'll poison their blood and ensure a painful death.

Don't forget to have the stakes pointing downwards so they trap the leg.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

This has been part seven in the "Ogling The McEldowney Way" series of creep lessons.

"Told Amos"? Wouldn't have seen it like a bunch of times? Why am I bothering to look for consistency in Brooke's work? Why am I still reading Brooke's work?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Endless Mike posted:

I can assure you a smartphone has way more than 10 times the computing power of a 70s(?)-era microcomputer.

Minicomputer but yeah.

An iPhone 6 has at minimum 16 GB fast flash storage, 1 GB RAM, a 64-bit CPU running at 1.1 GHz and a graphics set driving 1330x750 graphics.

A DEC PDP-11, for example, used reel to reel tape storage with at most about 100MB capacity, 256kB RAM, a 16-bit CPU running at 3 MHz, and no graphics capability.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Good Listener posted:

I hate how the artist tries to be cutesy in Take it to the Tinkersons and has things randomly change in each panel like shirts, hats, background things etc. Like...it's just obnoxious guy, cut it out.

What?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Probably a Van Gogh or something.

With the new writer I hope it's a dead rat.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Evil Mastermind posted:

Holy poo poo that's not an edit. What the poo poo is going on around here? What is James Allen trying to tell us?

That he'd rather be doing something like Jungle Jim or Steve Canyon?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MariusLecter posted:

Is the joke "Barry think Jeff just hit puberty and is ashamed of masturbating" ?

You know the answer.
Like, it's a new thing posted in the thread to hate now and all but Gasoline Alley is not the worst strip here. Not with "Tinkersons" and "Intelligent Life" still around.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Calaveron posted:

Wasn't the previous Crankshaft storyline about how the now dead lady was starting a new, humble business from her home and how that filled her with hope and the drive many senior citizens need to keep going once their kids stop visiting and all that?

No, that's the other old bat.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big)

:stare:

Looks like I'm a year away from the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

We're not at Muir levels yet but I'm still sure that James Allen is using inappropriate reference photos for his poses.

• Locked thread