Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

To update your references at least. Would a kid under 20 know what the Flintstones are anymore?

Did he move the top half of that woman to fit the speech bubble in and then forget to remove the bottom half?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Who'd have thought Pluggers would have something in common with rich assholes at the mall who cause traffic when goddamnit there are spaces right down there :argh:

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Has the overwhelmingly negative reaction caused the Evanses to rethink the whole 9/11 wedding thing?

Credit where credit is due, having multiple things go to poo poo all at once and then want to elope is an accurate depiction of wedding planning.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

ikanreed posted:

What's the appropriate punishment for high heresy?

A month of Raising Hector.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

This is beautiful. It's so much fun to see a white guy try to awkwardly stand up for the legacy of MLK and not bring up anything potentially racist.

"Umm, yeah, his birthday isn't always on a Monday. Legitimate complaint."

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

I don't know that I've ever seen a story arc in Compu-Toon.

Boyce apparently gets in the mood to make these anti-bullying stories once in a while. I remember asking the thread last time I noticed if he was alright, because it seemed like a month of no punchlines, just very slow revenge fantasies.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

I always felt this strip walked a bit too close to the line of "Is Hobbes real?" It's supposed to be open-ended and up for interpretation, as Watterson intended. And while Calvin could have easily made that (he shows a lot of potential for sculpture with his snowmen), he is adamant he didn't make that tiger. So either Hobbes is real or Calvin has some clear issues to work through.

This comment brought to you by Thinking Too Hard About Calvin & Hobbes

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Slammy posted:

Life In Hell

Oh, God, I'm sorry.

My God...it's worse than Tim Buckley.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is in love with itself.

Congratulations on cutting the "speaking in third person" quirk mid sentence because "He reminds Melvin of Melvin" is clunky.

Shame for thinking "speaking in third person" is an actual character trait to have.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

root posted:

Oh yeah... I'd forgotten how he'd won Rosa's heart by accidentally hitting some guy with his backpack.
And of course once he was united with the woman he'd been pining over their love exploded like a...

Is there a term for when an author wants us to feel a certain way about a character but due to their tone-deafness and lovely writing skills the opposite effect is acheived? Because I know the Evanses are going for some kind of, "Awwww he's such a nice guy" vibe but Gunther consistently comes across as a pissy, whiny dweeb and I hate him.

Gunther exists in a sort of sine wave of character development. Everything about him shows him to be a whiny, uninteresting little poo poo with no backbone, and the comic puts this front and center until the Evanses realize they've done nothing but poo poo on him for a while so they throw him a bone, either out of pity or some failed attempt at developing his character beyond that (and yet always revert back).

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Rand is Rand

I also just want to say as a wielder of an art degree, and a resident of NY, the current arc of Luann is incredibly painful.

This is inspired.

And you know Evans just used Tripadvisor to find touristy things slightly further down the list to sound marginally more legitimate. I hate when people get all uppity about doing touristy things while on a trip. I live right next to Disneyland, and if you wanted to do non-touristy things here your options are "wait in line for a donut at 9:00 pm" or "visit a hipster food court".

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Saw a coffee stand selling this or something similar in Dublin. $30 per cup. The local consensus seemed to be "It's just coffee, but I guess some people just enjoy throwing money away."

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is...uh, what?

Wow. It's like they are going for a world record of missing a joke here.

If you don't get the reference, then the Google reps are just robot things. This is not funny. If you do get the reference, then Google reps are being compared to space Nazis. Has Google done anything recently to deserve being compared to a space Nazi? No? Then there is no joke and this is not funny.

We are left with two options:

1. The entire "joke" is a reference to a nerd thing. But unlike even low-brow nerd reference humor like Big Bang Theory or even this very strip at times, there's no attempt to make it clever or relevant. Like if they were security or Comcast representatives or something where the common understanding was they are unhelpful or unfriendly, then at least you are making your reference relevant, even if it's not funny.

2. The idea of a Google rep being a space Nazi is based off a specific experience, either by that of the writer or from a story he heard. This lacks universality and makes the joke even more confusing, because it's a personal reference that can only be understood once it's explained, and explanation is typically a joke killer.

So congratulations Working Daze. You made yourself so unnecessarily esoteric that when asked to tell a joke you effectively shouted the name of a TV show and smiled expectantly.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Is this the first WD strip you've read? I feel so sorry for you.

Oh I know that is entirely WD's "thing", it's like a train wreck I just can't help but see how horribly they mangle any humor each time. This example just somehow felt extra lazy.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Realy? Can't imagine it? HAHAHAHAHA

How do you post the worst comic strip and your example isn't the one where the guy creeps outside the women's bathroom to hit on exiting ladies? It's almost topical even!

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Your ribs? Dude, you just caught hundreds of pounds of weight in free fall with one arm. That sounds like it'd pop your shoulder clear off.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Aah Luann, continuing the proud tradition of making the character we're supposed to find "annoying" or "terrible" the most likeable one in the room.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus

I don't get it.

Modern cars don't use keys for the ignition or locks, instead you get a fob that detects when you are in range to unlock and start the car with a push of a button.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
To no one's surprise, the recent Bleeker was swapped out on GoComics with the creator posting an apology and explanation of comic timelines.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

"Now what kind of expression for the last panel? I know! Smug smile with bent neck. That hasn't gotten old yet."

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Title Guy's Luann titles remind me of the bad pun teasers at the end of the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons. So I'm guessing this guy grew up with Rocky and Bullwinkle in its original run and is therefore retired and has nothing better to do with his time or grew up with the show on Cartoon Network like I did and is therefore my age and therefore frighteningly enthusiastic about those daily titles.

Then again I spend parts of my day getting angry at a goddamned comic strip for being so terrible so who am I to judge?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Simian_Prime posted:

Anyone else willing to send pics of Intelligent Life to Seth MacFarland and hope Reddick gets a C&D letter sent to him?

MacFarlane himself has basically said his whole style was aped from Hannah-Barbara (whom he worked with for a number of years) which was created due to the necessities of cheap animation. Since its been posted here, Riddick also seems to have slowly slimmed Skip down and adjusted the shapes of faces. It's still similar, but unfortunately not enough to warrant legal action.

It's content though...maybe we can get him tried for crimes against humanity.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Tina's Groove doesn't get a ton of focus in this thread unless it features odd sequences of nudity, but moments like this give me hope for some of these mediocre strips. You can see glimpses of imagination that are just being stifled by having to do dailies that don't offend 80-year olds.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

I'm sure you're right and that is the "joke" but I don't think it's a good one. F Minus can be pretty hit or miss for me. It can be on point for a while, then kind of blah. I still think it's one of the better strips made today.

F Minus

This one is so true it hurts.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Odonata posted:

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

I initially misread that as "Pete Docter" and for a brief moment I actually really enjoyed a Ziggy strip out of sheer absurdity.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I hope Peter lets the robber go because of his "secret identity" and the guy ends up shooting Aunt May.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

:same:, but for the inevitable edits.

e:
Judge: "Are you gonna marry this guy?"
Toni: (Am I gonna marry this guy?)
Toni: "I'm gonna marry this guy!"
Judge: "Are you gonna marry this gal?"
Brad: (Am I gonna marry this gal?)
Brad (Really, am I gonna marry this gal?)
Brad: "I'm gonna marry this gal!"
Judge: "Well you're married now."
Textless Celebratory Hug Will They Even Kiss?

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Brad: (Is she marrying me, or Santa?)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Is that actually a thing? You can go into the shop and just play with legos?

The better question is why isn't this grown woman reasonably thinking "Oh hey, I do like food, so an olive oil tasting might be a cool thing to try and not a terrible suggestion just because it isn't related to nerd stuff"? Even fat nerd guy was willing to attend a sporting event with the sport guy.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Transmodiar posted:

As a huge fan of the original run, I am desperately hoping the revival gets funny at some point.

It's definitely lost a bit of its edge, but the man is old, hasn't tried to be topical in many years, and still has some of my favorite line work, so I let a lot slide.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Please don't be an edit please don't be an edit please don't be an edit

*not an edit*

Oh gently caress yes. Burn their wedding to the ground, Smiley Man.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
So is it confirmed that Fred Basset is intended solely for very, very old people who see a picture of a cartoon dog and are satisfied with their enjoyment. It isn't humorous or absurdist or cute or...anything. It is a nothing strip and it baffles me to no end.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Okay, I know the rule of thumb is "If you don't get an Arlo and Janis, it's about sex", but this one is so blatantly about boning that I feel like I'm somehow missing something. This thread is slowly making me lose my mind.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Oh yeah?

Well take this.

photo hosting

What is a Groucho Party? What is a Gaucho Party? Where would he have heard about chimichurri in the three word email? Who has auto correct on their work computer? If they do, why didn't they notice the obvious mistake in the subject line, of all places? What exactly was the best case scenario here? A room full of people dressed as Groucho Marx, and then back to work I guess? Why would this be blindly followed as a party theme in either case?

I don't know, Mike du Jour might beat Working Daze in terms of failing to make a joke so many different ways.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Seriously? How can they miss such an easy set up? "What are you going as?" "A werewolf." There you go, bait and switch. It might not be funny, but at least it resembles a joke.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

It's a verbal contract with no goods involved. The payback timeline can be reasonably inferred without needing to be stated. Use of white Monopoly money is not reasonable substitute and is evidence of breach of contract.

(Studying for the CPA exam has broken my brain. I don't even know if what I said is accurate anymore)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

The writing for Tinkersons is absolutely astounding in its ability to set up a punchline, spend one whole panel ignoring the setup, and then tell a completely different joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

2016 was already a terrible year, Greg. Don't you dare start 2017 off with some goddamned tolerance plotline.

• Locked thread