Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Thread's still here huh? It's been awhile...2014 I think? Those of you who have been around that long might want to sit down. If you're drinking coffee, swallow it, and put the cup somewhere you won't knock it over.

Ready?

It's All Right, Chief Dharma

...Yes, it was a dream. One that lasted over two years for all of us but less than two months for those Koreans who paid more attention to comic hub sites than I did. In that time, two hundred ninety three new comics were posted on a new website with the newest one having been published in late April. The Daily Focus archives are no longer publicly available. Finding older Dharma comics would necessitate trawling random Korean blogs. Or the Something Awful Archives for the ones I already translated.

As for me, well, the reasons I left the Something Awful forums are largely unchanged, but right to the end I did enjoy translating these. For real life reasons it just stopped being practical. Now it is again- for the moment anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I've decided this makes more sense than having her talk like an Animal Crossing character.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Hitting the road again tomorrow, here's some early Calvin and Hobbes.

It looks like I am too...as a general warning my posts may be inconsistent sometimes, but I wouldn't have started this up again if I didn't intend on finishing the job. It still really bothers me that the Daily Focus took down their archives while I wasn't paying attention. I have no idea why I thought that wouldn't happen, and I'm not making that mistake again.

By the way, great on you for continuing to post all this stuff. Glad to see Everett True actually came back rather than just being something the thread kept discussing in reverent past tense.

DC Money posted:

As crazy as it might sound, i've actually been thinking about this comic from time to time since you stopped posting it - it really made a big impression on me, maybe because the chief is such a real guy. Also, i know korea and japan are very different, but i spent a lot of time in japan and the feel really reminds me of urban japan.

I've never been to Japan like Korea, but that makes sense. It's the same salaryman culture. Dharma's not the kind of comic it would occur to anyone to translate probably because it seems too local and not quirky enough.

They're still not married yet? I could have sworn they were planning this wedding back when I left.

All right, enough screwing around-

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

No joke, this is why people don't date anymore. Everything that's fun these days either doesn't need a partner or is so inherently creepy and weird you'd never want to do a first date with it. Unless you're messing with Tinder, of course.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

I didn't realize who that was until the punchline and now I'm depressed that I laughed.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

"like a stomachache"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Culture note: Korean office settings tend to delegate odd jobs to whoever was hired last, in this case Hyeh-ran. This nuance is easily communicated in casual Korean but hopelessly difficult to translate into casual English.

"she's good at this"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Even in the West ripping off grieving relatives is a perfectly worthwhile business model without having to drag ghosts into it. The main obstacle to an insurance scheme is that anyone asking questions like "do I really want my family to go broke buying a thousand dollar suit for me to wear when I'm dead" is more likely to respond by saying "do not bankrupt yourselves paying for my funeral you morons" than buying insurance.

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Right after Jungle Jim it may seem a little hard to believe, but I can't help but read this as the tribesmen trying to scam free food off of the Phantom before actually helping him.

I don't know why he keeps adding those postscripts. I can't edit them easily since they're not in a white box, and they never add anything anyway.

Anyway, context! This comic was posted a few months after Sewol and is obviously referencing it, so that's an excuse for me to write about what happened since the last time you heard about it in the news.

You know how investigating Benghazi is this huge fixation with the Republican Party? Sewol is kind of like that for the South Korean left. The important differences- seventy times as many people died in Sewol. Independent investigation has indicated the main cause for the sinking was not a random freak accident, but deregulation creating perverse incentives in regards to crew training, safety standards, and import tariffs (the island Sewol was going to is in a special economic zone). After the attack, rescue boats spent several hours outside Sewol literally doing nothing because they were awaiting orders that never came. Most of the victims could have been saved had action been more prompt. In the aftermath of the sinking, the right-wing political party (Saenuri) tried to sweep all this under the rug. When family members of the victims started protesting, conservative activists responded by mocking them and accusing them of being communist opportunists. Conservative self-awareness of the optics of this has been so fantastically bad that they taunted hunger striking protestors by eating pizza in front of them.

That's in reference to an old hunger strike, not the newer one earlier this month which is directed at the government trying to shut down the official government committee by cutting funding when it's only about halfway finished. The official investigation started about sixteen months after the disaster happened. You can perhaps see why to this day there is a twenty-four hour protest at Gwanghwamun Square, one of the biggest tourist areas in Seoul. On the grassroots level anger about this has been huge. Saenuri has a metric fuckton of problems right now- Sewol just happens to be the most visible one. It's why they got their asses handed to them the last parliamentary election and also why whoever they nominate for President next year is facing longer odds than Trump at actually winning. Saenuri's only plan for electoral victory at this point is literally redbaiting, and even with everything North Korea is doing in regards to nuclear tests, no one is buying it anymore. People used to think Sunshine Policy was the ultimate in naive optimism but the situation has gotten so much worse in the nine years since it was abandoned that Saenuri no longer has any credibility on national security.

That you probably were not aware of any of this until some guy on a comedy website's message board told you is, I hope, the surest possible evidence that nearly everyone writing about Korean issues in English today is a lovely hack. I mean, sheesh, I'm a film critic, not a journalist, but even in that limited field the effect this has had locally is so huge you practically have to stick your fingers in your ears to not be aware of it. Either that or get blackout drunk every night instead of doing actual research.

edit: Oh, one more thing. They've only just now gotten around to actually salvaging the ship and getting close to recovering the bodies. This is probably why Saenuri thought they could kill the committee prematurely. That they seriously thought that after all this time and gently caress-ups this would satisfy the issue well...again, they're just horribly tone-deaf is the main problem here.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 29, 2016

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DC Money posted:

WOW! Thanks for that context. I remember when the accident happened that it was terribly sad, made worse by the fact that (as it was reported here, not sure if it's accurate) the kids could have easily gotten off the ship early but they were told to sit below decks and not do anything, which they did until it was too late and the ship capsized. Interesting that it's not just american conservatives who are against safety regulations, etc..

That much is accurate and it's why the captain has been the main scapegoat. But there were about a dozen failsafes that went wrong here and the captain was only one of them. He actually rescinded the below deck order later on but this was never communicated to the passengers because the rest of the crew was just as incompetent as he was.

What's really sad is that if you actually go to Gwanghwamun and talk to people there, they see foreign awareness as being a really important plank to pressuring the government on this. I don't have the heart to tell them how bad the reporting actually is out here. Their big watershed moment was the Pope Francis visit, but the little reporting on that visit which exists in the English language sphere makes no mention of the fact that he personally visited an ongoing political demonstration- they just make it sound like he was visiting the victims of tragedy because that's what the Pope does. I was completely stunned when I saw the footage of that. You can YouTube it easily enough. That's the same spot they've been ever since the demonstration started, it was just a lot more crowded than usual because of the Papal visit.

...Emphasis on the "we". That's all work food in the last panel. They even had sushi.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Probably Dharma, complaining because he just remembered they get to order food on the company dime when they're working late. The last panel appears to be one of the work tables (same color) strewn with the kind of food typically eaten in that context.

I had to reread that one several times too. I was expecting the punchline to be about why she wasn't eating.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mokotow posted:

Thank you for posting these; I really enjoy Chief Dharma. Are these translated versions available somewhere outside of SA?

Nope, it's an SA exclusive, as far as I know. Bear in mind I can't think of anywhere else I even could post it that would attract much attention. Relatively few Korean comics are available in English officially these days, and while that number is increasing, the main potentially popular ones are long-form serial genre stories. Traditional newspaper comic style strips like Dharma are quite rare. Actually they might be extinct. It wouldn't surprise me if Dharma was the last holdout until the Daily Focus canned it. The strips I'm posting right now are from its new online home.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

"that's what I wanted to say"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

I'm assuming this is going to end with the Phantom intentionally losing a fight to this guy and I don't care how cliched it is because I love that trope.

Untranslatable joke- the second exchange uses a more formal verb tense than the first one.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

"it feels so good on my fingers"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Shneak posted:

I don't know why today's Blondie has gotten any emotion out of me but it did. Probably because I was expecting a joke about technology and old people but then the punchline was... alliteration? Quite a comedic journey.

Maybe because she's doing something nice for her husband, not to make a lazy pop culture reference, or mutter a surreptitious complaint, but just because she likes doing nice things for the person she's decided to spend her life with?

...Oh god I can't tell if I thought that because the thread has so many terrible role models or if my love life has really been bad enough that this seems unusual. Perhaps that's how I get joy out of posting It's All Right Chief Dharma.

I've decided to start translating the titles, too, since even in paint it's not that hard. The poetic format of today's comic really called attention to it.

...But this part I dare not vandalize with barbarian English.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

9/11 tributes are still a thing? Can anyone who surfs the archives check and see whether newspaper comics come December 7th, 1956 thought it was necessary to remind people about Pearl Harbor?

edit: ...I'm an idiot and can't remember dates, sue me.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Sep 12, 2016

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

I never know whether to be relieved or depressed when confronted by evidence that past versions of my profession were just as bad as the modern day versions. Feiffer also does a really good one where a book critic reviews the Bible. Have you gotten to that yet?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I just realized there's so much white space in these new ones that I could easily make bilingual versions, but it might look weird in cases where a panel has both dialogue and narration. Anyone have a preference?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is there a reason why Hyeh-ran begins so many of her sentences with "Gee"? I'm guessing it's a Korean quirk that doesn't really translate because it sounds odd in English.

She actually ends her sentences with "ghee". It's a verb modifier, verbs coming at the end of the sentence in Korean. But it's also a nonsensical one, the meaning of which is known only to Hyeh-ran. If I met someone who talked like this in real life I'd assume they started as a child and no one ever bothered to correct them.

Last time I was in the thread I was doing more literal translations but these days I'm more into context. Gee at the beginning of the sentence is, in my opinion, about the same level of weird in English as "긔" at the end of the sentence is in Korean.

Now that I'm making bilingual versions again this will make them easier to nitpick. Assuming anyone else in this thread can read Korean anyway.

I never bother to translate "선배" because the best English word for it is "Senpai", which isn't even real English and would probably just confuse people into thinking this is a Japanese comic.

...And while we're on the subject, when it comes to comic nerd characters, how does Duk-hoo rate? To me he seems a lot less obnoxious than anyone from Working Daze or Intelligent Life, even though his hobbies are presented in a stranger light. Maybe that's why- because Park Seung-hoon knows that Duk-hoo is weird, but doesn't hate him for that.

Oh yeah, and Deok-hoo's name is actually a pun. Hint- his surname is Oh, so his full name is Oh Deok-hoo.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 17, 2016

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Here the common verb "떨어지다", which literally means "fall" is being used in a context I do not recognize. My best guess is they're referring to summer vacation hours allocations, based on when this comic was published and the team celebrating the completion of a big project last comic. I've never worked in an environment that does this, but I do know that practically the whole country goes on vacation late July and early August even though there aren't any holidays around then, and that there's a big push to finish outstanding work before that point.

"결석" is an obscure word. I can guess from context that the second syllable is Chinese for "stone" and that the first syllable has a different Chinese meaning I do not recognize. "여기" means "here", so "여긔" is a pun that utilizes Hyeh-ran's weird speaking habit. Hopefully I have explained this comic to death by now and made it completely unfunny.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

...Probably? I don't actually know what a kidney stone is either. Well I do now because I looked it up, but yeah, it works.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

...What kid would have even heard of all these names? I had to look up Monstro, which most people would just describe as "the whale from Pinocchio", and Sub-Mariner? Really? When was the last time he showed up in something that wasn't a terrible comic book that only nerd adults read?

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Aw, this is cute.

quote:

Deep Dark Fears

This isn't.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Myra North, Special Nurse

She's special all right. Looking forward to seeing where this is going.

This is strictly speaking not a comic but I like it very much and want to see more.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

He's gently caress that dog.

At least it's not miscegenation. I'm so sick of these bleeding hearts trying to normalize the abomination of dog/rabbit marriage. I should write a letter to the editor in protest.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

This joke only works if it's written. Get your poo poo together, Pastis.

I'm wondering what purpose lingerie could serve if they're always naked all the time anyway.

quote:

Nancy

...But even Pastis' terrible puns are better than this. What the hell is this. Yes, literally, I know it's a Muppets reference, but who exactly is this supposed to appeal to? There isn't even anything remotely resembling a joke here.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So I saw a Dharma image about ping-pong in the wild the other day and was trying to find the original source. A promising link from a ping-pong website ended up showing me this one instead, and I had to translate it because the only way I can remember which ones I've translated is by translating everything I've read. No idea what the date is, but this is exactly three hundred fifty comics before the last one I translated.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine

At first I thought this was just another bad "Rat being a dick" joke then I remembered that this is literally what the American presidential campaign has been like. God help us all.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

We wouldn't have to do that if you jerks would just put trash cans in convenient locations. Half the time I end up having to use the one in the bathroom.

Selachian posted:

Lio is a weird Addams Family-style kid. So of course his wash would use the "paranormal cycle."

I'm more distracted by the use of "their," myself. (Watch this spawn a multi-page argument about pronouns!)

No kidding. Using an obscure reference in the first place is pretty dumb, but it's just plain awkward when you don't even know the gender of the character you're trying to reference. In English anyway. The comics I post don't need no stinking gendered pronouns.

I'm aware that "product idea" sounds really awkward but it's a cognate and I can't remember what we normally call these things in proper English.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

But as was mentioned, stuff like solar-powered calculators have been around for awhile, and stickers designed to look like eyes aren't exactly innovative so much as...I don't know, novel? Novelty might work, except that Mister Kang and Hyeh-ran obviously have a high opinion of them, and novelty has negative connotations.

In general most of the accurate words I can think of have negative connotations. Which is weird, because this isn't some unique Korean thing, Americans use these products too. Not everyone hates them or they wouldn't keep getting made.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

I thought that was a dividing line in the middle of the road. But even if it was a unicycle trail, shouldn't there be two lines? Did he just double back over the first one?

quote:

Deep Dark Fears

In other mysteries, how does the person who makes this keep coming up with new terrifying things every day?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm going to start jumping around with sources, just for the fun of it. Mind the numbers if you get confused.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Pardon My Planet

I don't it. :confused:

I've never understood reply all jokes because my whole life "reply" and "reply all" have been completely different buttons in the e-mail draft box, and even if I hit reply all by accident I would immediately be alerted to it by the huge line of addressees that would appear in the receiving box. Unless you're a complete idiot I don't see how you could send an individual reply to all the original addressees unintentionally.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus

It's not a bad idea.

I haven't had a phone for nearly a year now and it really does work to make things simpler.

Scroto Baggins posted:

Do you not work with people over the age of 40? Because this is a chronic, weekly problem in my life. I'm not sure what's worse though: hitting reply all by accident or using it on purpose to say "thanks" to 400+ people.

...Speaking of which yes, I suppose I do have a bit of charmed life, when you put it that way.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

csammis posted:

I've read the Comic Strip Megathreads since the original and I haven't really contributed much other than hosting some fonts, some edits here and there, and a truly regrettable amount of knowledge about Brooke McEldowney's fanbase. That changes now! I've built up a stash of about a hundred strips of Asaekkiga, another Korean comic. It's sort of bizarre and the punchline is usually "someone's inconveniently horny." Some of these have been posted here before but I think it's worth another run. I'm aiming for at least one a weekday until I run out.

Disclaimers: I didn't translate these and they're in no particular order - if someone has a better translation or a better source in general I'm all ears!

Ooo, do you have any of mine? I translated some for this thread for awhile, but the format was really bad and it confused people. The Korean title is 아색기가 if you want to hunt for it on their interwebs. A lot of them don't even need translation, but I can offer clarifications if necessary.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I just noticed the baby is being delivered by a star trekker

No no that's Doctor Spock get it?

quote:

gently caress this stupid comic gently caress everything

...Never mind you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Personally, I'm confused by all the specific details in this circus. What about the thing? Has it happened yet?

Comic takes place in 2014, for reference. I'm going to try posting the newest ones exactly two years behind once we get that close.

• Locked thread