Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Pluggers are desperately trying to justify bringing the word fag back into common practice without actually saying it.

Mark Trail, by contrast, is quite comfortable being fabulous:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Julet Esqu posted:

These are not edits. These are not edits at all.

I don't think even my wildest thoughts would go with "Mark Trail as a glistening Adonis in bicycle shorts and an anime-eyed Goon," but then, I am not the great Jam Esallen.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

ChairMaster posted:

Wait is that new art? I haven't followed the thread for a while cause it moves so fast but... Mark Trail has new art now? Is it not just an unending parade of clip art rearranged and pasted together in slightly different ways to make it into different stories?

It's a bit weirder than that, as it seems to alternate between new artwork to fit the story and clip art for shots where the necessary clip art exists (Note the difference between Mark's face in the second to last strip as compared to the last strip I posted). Consequently, you get this weird combination where you'll spend multiple strips staring at Jackel Rod-style heads and then suddenly Mark Trail gets into an awesome fistfight with a bear.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Thankfully Gabriel warns us about white-nose syndrome a safe distance away from his horrifying white eye syndrome.

Also, I quite enjoy Pearls Before Swine (although these days it's a bit of a guilty nostalgic pleasure), so what's another comic? Today we learn that the ever wide-eyed Pig is secretly a colossal pervert.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I picture Delta looking her old friends up on Facebook and thinking "Thank God I got the hell out of that town."
Did the Evanses even bother to cook up an excuse for where the other characters who have inexplicably vanished went? I remember the Delta thing smacking of deliberately writing off the black character, but a couple of other former regulars just dropped off the face of the strip entirely.

And the worst part is they still subject us to loving Gunther.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail knows that nature is fickle and will undo even the noblest works of man:

Pearls Before Swine

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Manuel Calavera posted:

Foxtrot we've already seen classics in the thread. A daily from 1988 - 2006, now Sundays only, by artist & author Bill Amend. Follows the life of the Fox family. It's a better nerd comic than Intelligent Life, and better at tech than Compu-Toon by far. Amend seems to actually have some semblance of understanding these things usually.

The man semi-retired to play more WoW; his nerd credentials are strong. Plus I think he has a legit physics degree or something like that. All I know is that as a young kid it meant a lot to me that there was a comic where a character liked math and computers as much as I did, so Bill Amend is pretty rad in my book.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Between Gabe's soulless eyes and the bizarre "Let's spend a couple of days in a cave together" setup, this is reading like the beginning of a weird horror movie.

Pearls Before Swine

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

This explains quite a bit about Rat.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

While I come bearing puns, they are sadly not Pastis at the top of his game. Hopefully we'll get a good one on Sunday.

Mark Trail grins in the face of death

Pearls Before Swine

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Even Mark Trail's gratuitous animal pictures are getting more violent.

Pearls Before Swine

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Julet Esqu posted:

Well, it turns out this is a real thing. Thanks, Google.

I think it was also mentioned in a Ripley's not too long ago. Also, I have no idea what it says about my tolerance for insect-based cuisine that I'm far more put off by Andrew Zimmern's description of the taste.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Odonata posted:

Gasoline Alley

So why exactly does this comic cut to the painfully bad pre-Huntsman exploits of Marty Feeb on Sundays? Who are these unfunny forest dwellers?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

He keeps bringing it up, too. Trail's tasted blood and he loving loves it.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail sets the stage for some awkward romance

Pearls Before Swine

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Tiggum posted:

This has been bothering me since this storyline started. How is this article going to work? Mark's going to talk about these healthy bats and then awkwardly segue into "but if they happened to have white-nose syndrome, that would be bad." Don't you want to go visit a sick colony and observe the effects for your article? Why are you looking at healthy bats as research for your article about bat diseases?

Presumably Mark's built up a lot of wiggle-room for the occasional crappy fluff piece based on the success of his multi-part saga "I Fought a Bear and Won."

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Moon Slayer posted:

Remember this Mark Trail from a few weeks ago? Turns out James Allen is a climate change denier:

Disappointing, but as that position is more or less ubiquitous among American conservatives and he's a middle aged white guy from Georgia, not terribly surprising. Still, it does kind of ruin what was otherwise an amusingly pessimistic Sunday strip.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail reminds of you a rather terrible character design decision

Pearls Before Swine tackles the issues head-on

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

They... uh... they didn't reset the universe so they could do this arc as a finale, right? Right? :ohdear:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

I'm wondering more and more if Mark's about to get murdered.

Pearls Before Swine goes back to the well

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Julet Esqu posted:

Funky WinkerbeSally Forth

:smith:

At least they threw in that Powdered Toast Cereal reference to provide some subtle levity? This is hitting too close to home. :smith:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Interesting phrasing right there.

Pearls Before Swine

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Senior Woodchuck posted:

For gently caress's sake, Batiuk. iTunes's algorithm has noticed that a lot of people who like Robert Plant also like Emmylou Harris. Therefore, when you liked Robert Plant, it told you you might also like Emmylou Harris. It's playing the percentages.

It's the fact that the characters are so visibly upset about this that really pushes it into unfunny absurdity.

Well, no, I guess that'd be down to Batiuk deciding this is a week's worth of content. loving hell.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

For those of you that came in late: Stephan Pastis (the character) and his wife got a divorce, now he lives in a basket on her front porch. I specify "the character" as Stephan Pastis the actual author has not gotten a divorce, contrary to what literally anyone would naturally assume.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

This makes no goddamn sense and, honestly, I kind of love it for that. I guess I'm requesting a Red and Rover if such a thing is even possible?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

dismas posted:

I took it to mean that the fact that it's grape has no obvious bearing on the balancing act and both CB and Snoopy are confused that Lucy is acting like it does.

That's my reading, but I can't shake this feeling that I'm missing something because that joke works for me in a way most Peanuts doesn't, even the early stuff. Could just be unjustified second-guessing.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

And a little something I've missed reading, so here's everything since Monday:
The Phantom

The fact that Mandrake is cameoing in traditional Mandrake form is merely a coincidence, I assure you.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

:perfect:

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Julet Esqu posted:

:stonk: Are we human trafficking in Mark Trail???

I figure it's either that or smuggling people across the border. Depends on how dark Jam Esallen wants to get, I suppose.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

EasyEW posted:

AND NOW, THE PUNCHLINE.

:suicide:

Ah yes, those troublesome youngsters loving up a recommendation algorithm by enjoying both trashy rock music and the classics, when you only enjoy the trashy rock. Truly an issue affecting contemporary young adults.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Solid last panel, there: in a brief but agonizing flash of self-awareness, Nancy stares at the ramifications of Guy Gilchrist controlling every aspect of the strip for over a decade. Surely, her expression leads us to assume she must be thinking, no child of Sluggo's age would be so familiar with Frank Sinatra. Not unless the universe she resided in toiled under the yoke of a man obsessively driven by nostalgia for a time where he was not forced by popular culture to confront even the token nods towards diversity and difficulty that current media provides. A nostalgia for a mutable, indecipherable haze confused with the 1950s and 1960s, a time that only exists in his imagination. Her black eyes become indistinguishable from voids as she realizes how utterly alone she is in this realization; she is surrounded by props that perpetuate her hollow existence by providing comfort to aging newspaper audiences by providing familiar reference and safe, saccharine platitudes. Soon, the sweet relief of ignorance will wash over her, releasing her from this agony, returning her to the artificial comforts of tears shed for irrelevant 50s musicians and VIET NAM VETS, but for now... for now she must stare in horror.

Ringadingding indeed.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Pentaro posted:

Here's what I don't understand about that comic: Are the people who send these tips happy to be called a Plugger, as if it were a badge of pride? If so, why?

I've got no source on this, but I think originally you absolutely did not want to be a plugger, and it slowly warped into the current anti-Dinette Set status quo as readers started to identify with it. I could be misremembering, however.

• Locked thread