Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
And now, a few more from the Hall of Fame.

(Borden!)

(um...attribution missing. Pffft.)

(David's Package)

(Depressing Box)

And now, a salute to the unsung hero of threads past: A BRICK.

(Doctor rear end in a top hat)

(Sir Lemming)

(Borden, AxeManiac, and whoever kicked in the original live action GIF)

And then, there are things like this...

(Not a clue.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Tiggum posted:

Mark Trail by Borden

And then, things took a turn...

THIS IS BORDEN-MANIA. (Last thread edition)

The Guy Gilchrist Wing.

Thank you for your service, and don't be a stranger.

See you next adventure!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Note to Cicadalek: There was one other important thing that happened during the previous thread: Bloom County came back to us last summer. It came without warning, but it came just the same. :allears:

Bloom County 2015 is taking the week off, but this is where it goes when it's around. Berke posts it to Facebook (usually on a five-a-week schedule), but as a former print strip it's grandfathered in. (Berkeley Breathed)

Skippy, as summed up by Don Markstein: "Once, the name "Skippy" was associated in the public consciousness with an extremely popular comic strip about a little boy and his small town adventures. Comics historian and critic Coulton Waugh (whose cartooning credentials included having taken over Dickie Dare from Milton Caniff) said it "was no routine, ordinarily good job". It's no exaggeration to call it the Peanuts of its time. Now, the name only refers to a brand of peanut butter. There's a connection between the two, and the story behind it appears even more sordid than what's been going on between Disney and the licensor of Winnie the Pooh." (Percy Crosby; November 2, 1928)

Peanuts is the story of a group of adorably neurotic kids and an insurance salesman who moonlights as a World War I flying ace.

There are two Peanuts posts on most days. The morning(ish) shift is dedicated to the late-60s peak popularity era, while the evening is following the early 50s chronology down the road to perdition. (Charles Schulz; January 1, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean is a rib-tickling chucklefest about how everything you love decays and dies. It used to be the pun-laden adventures of a group of high school students, but then The Most Important Woman In The Universe died and everything went straight to Hell. The resulting product carries an overinflated air of self-importance, and yet still isn't ambitious enough to be Nihilist Arby's: The Comic Strip. (Tom "Goddamn" Batiuk)

I like most of the things I post on some level, but hatereads get all the reactions around here, so gently caress you, here's Crankshaft. It's the vaguely-connected-to-Funky story of an rear end in a top hat school bus driver and a bunch of people in his life whose names I'll probably never bother to learn before I get sick of the whole thing. (Tom "Goddamn" Batiuk/Chuck "You Can't Wash This Stain Off Your Soul" Ayers)

In 2015, Rip Haywire reset his timeline in a way that's only accessible to high concept fictional characters and tapped-out Hollywood studios, but the strip is still about a square-jawed globe-trotting man of adventure, his talking dog, and the adorable ginger who took over his life. (Dan Thompson)

Out Our Way is the original "clip it for the refrigerator" cartoon panel. It's about cowboys, machine shop workers, turn-of-the-century small town nostalgia, sibling rivalry, high-strung mothers, and (of course) BOYZENDORGS. (J.R. Williams; July 6-7, 1928)

Elzie Segar's Thimble Theater is the story of Castor Oyl, a sawed-off runt and opportunist, his sister Olive, and her longtime boyfriend Ham Gravy. Only one of them figures into the long-term future of the strip, but not even Segar knows that yet.

After several years of beating the drum for a certain mutant sailor, this back-to-the-beginning strip is the only Popeye strip I'm posting right now, and at the moment he isn't even in it. Give it time. This is all about waking up to destiny. (July 20, 1929)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pogo, the continuing story of the denizens of the swamp and the almost impenetrable patois that makes many thread readers' eyes slide right down the page. (Walt Kelly; January 3, 1958)

We're roughly two and a half months into Peanuts: Year Four. For those coming in late, there are a lot of people here who are convinced there's nothing quite as pure and satisfying as the first few years, before the kids turned on Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown turned on himself, and Snoopy became just a kid with a big nose who sleeps outside. The implication is that wherever they decide that line was crossed, everything that followed--the whole four and a half decades--was a certain type of artistic failure, and not just a different type of artistic success. This must be what Pink Floyd fans go through, except in this conversation Sparky is his own Syd Barrett and massive worldwide success is being (or dealing with) an acid casualty.

tl;dr: This thread has a complicated relationship with Charlie Brown and company. (December 17-20, 1953)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (November 3, 1928)

Peanuts (December 28, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Second day back into Crankshaft and already I'm regretting this decision.

Rip Haywire

RIPCORD.

Should've guessed.

Out Our Way (July 9-10, 1928)

Note for late arrivals: As it was mentioned yesterday, casual comedy racism has been a thing in these panels almost from the beginning. We took a vote when I started posting OOW, and "history warts and all" won. It seems like a good rule of thumb not to Disneyfy the past if you're going to explore it, so there we are.

Case in point: the first Popeye story in Thimble Theater involved a dice-shooting janitor at one point. Let's just say he wasn't drawn as a blue-eyed blonde. (July 22, 1929)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Parahexavoctal posted:

And yes, this was progressive, because the black cowboy isn't depicted any more farcically than the white cowboys.

Considering that the earliest black guys in OOW were in chicken thief jokes, I'm inclined to agree to a point.

Of course, we also have to deal with how he's drawn like a photo negative Homer Simpson.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 2, 2016

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

There are certain Christian theologians who take Eve and the apple at face value and believe that knowledge of sin is a prerequisite to being an actual sinner, that it involves full consent of the will to actually do something to send you to to Hell. Under that theory, evangelism could easily be read as a Heaven gentrification project. You didn't know about the lake of fire? Sorry chump, we posted a notice and everything...

Somehow this ties into today's Pogo, which is about whether superstitions exist without people believing in them. (January 4, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (December 21-23, 1953)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts (January 5, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft approaches the sadness of senility from an unusual angle by making me feel like I don't know the English language.

Pogo: Last week, Owl invented talk radio. This week, Churchy offers some appropriate listener feedback. (October 3, 1965)

Out Our Way (July 11-12, 1928)

And we end with Williams commiserating with the man on the front line. :patriot:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County 2015

Skippy (November 5, 1928)

Peanuts (January 2, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (July 13-14, 1928)

Thimble Theater (July 23, 1929)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pogo (January 6, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (December 24-27, 1953)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Jesus.

They don't write 'em like that anymore.

Speaking of exploring waking nightmares, Bloom County 2015 throws life's harshest blow.

Skippy (November 6, 1928)

Peanuts (January 3, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean: Well, I wanted more Mopey Pete, and woe be unto those who aren't specific enough with their wishes.

But enough shuffling around, Crankshaft has a house fire to start!

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (July 16-17, 1928)

Thimble Theater (July 24, 1929)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pogo (January 7, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (December 28-30, 1953)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County 2015, in which Binkley needs to work on his situational awareness.

Skippy (November 7, 1928)

Peanuts (January 4, 1969)

Mopey Pete's Bullpen Bubble

Crankshaft

Don't forget to add plenty of gasoline, Ed. Don't sweat it if you get some on the rug. It'll all burn off eventually. THE FUMES MEAN IT'S READY!

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (July 18-19, 1928)

Thimble Theater (July 25, 1929)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts: Year Four (December 31, 1953-January 3, 1954)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County (which has decided you probably know what year it is)

YOU CAN'T HIDE WHAT'S INSIDE.

Skippy (November 8, 1928)

Peanuts hopes she kept the receipt. (January 6, 1969)

Mopey Pete's Work-For-Hire Reverie

Crankshaft

They identified him by his dental records.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way indulges in some good old fashioned emasculation. (July 20-21, 1928)

Thimble Theater (July 26, 1929)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

dismas posted:

Gasoline alley is just...so lovely. The only reason Nancy might be worse is because it was good and Gilchrist made it bad but I'm pretty sure GA has always just been irredeemably awful.

GA was good when Frank King was still doing it. Especially on Sundays.

Also, thanks SuperKlaus. It's been a long time since the last Pogo shoutout. (January 8-9, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (January 4-6, 1954)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 8, 2016

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County

Skippy (November 9, 1928)

Peanuts (January 8, 1969)

Mopey Pete's Slabbed and Graded Silver-Age Daydream

Crankshaft

We didn't even get the moment of truth! What a ripoff!

Rip Haywire

Meanwhile in Thimble Theater, it's deja vu all over again. (July 27, 1929)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Nenonen posted:

In a way yes, but on a far more anarchist note. Gilchrist Nancy is all about Christian mission, Viet Nam vets, dead country singers and boobs. I haven't seen Bushmiller strips about Spanish-American War veterans but I could be ignorant.

Well, I guess this could be a Gilchrist cartoon. All it needs is some tears, a salutation to the vets and boobs.

Let's not forget that Bushmiller's Nancy existed mostly in a bubble apart from the pop culture of the outside world. Gilchrist, on the other hand, has wasted entire weeks pandering to his Baby Boomer demo by doing nothing but drawing or namechecking people, characters, and other stuff they remember. If a Bushmiller Nancy strip exists where the "punchline" was HERE'S THAT THING YOU USED TO LIKE!, I've never seen it. That alone makes the classic era infinitely less insufferable.

e: Okay, I found one. And it's still apples and oranges.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 9, 2016

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Out Our Way (July 23-24, 1928)

Pogo gets to the point already. (January 10, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (January 7-10, 1954)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (November 10, 1928)

Peanuts (December 30, 1968)

Mopey Pete's Silver Age Daydream turns out to be an extended teaser for another fake comic book cover Sunday strip.

Meanwhile, Crankshaft isn't even singed, dammit!

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (July 25-26, 1928)

Thimble Theater mocks our expectations by doing something immediately instead of talking about it for a few weeks. (July 29, 1929)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pogo (January 11, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (January 11-13, 1954)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County

Peanuts gives us another warm brother-sister moment that Linus will be talking about years later to his therapist. And he won't be paying five cents to do it. (January 12, 1969)

Mopey Pete's Comic Book Cover Sunday

Frank Brunner, another artist with an impressive resume.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pogo, in which Albert leads away by example. (October 10, 1965)

Out Our Way (July 27-28, 1928)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I really don't want to see a Nancy tribute to David Bowie. I think I will literally flip a table if I do.

Knowing Guy, Fritzi latched on to "The Laughing Gnome" and never let go.

Yeah, yeah, I know it's going to be "Heroes". All the half-assed tributes are going to be "Heroes". By which I mean Zen Pencils. :smith:

Skippy (November 12, 1928)

Peanuts (January 13, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (July 30-31, 1928)

Thimble Theater (July 30, 1929)

Smart actor or dumb audience? You figure it out...

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pogo (January 13, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (January 14-17, 1954)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Thank God Bloom County got to it before Gilchrist.

Skippy (November 13, 1928)

Peanuts (January 14, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater calls in the pros. (July 31, 1929)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pogo (January 14, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (January 18-20, 1954)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

The Rise And Fall Of Steven Dallas

Skippy (November 14, 1928)

Peanuts (January 15, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

"Somebody loves you enough to buy your overpriced popcorn! What the hell's up with that? We all die alone anyway!"

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 1-2, 1928)

Thimble Theater (August 1, 1929)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County

Skippy (November 15, 1928)

Peanuts (January 16, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 3-4, 1928)

Thimble Theater (August 2, 1929)

Imagine if Glim was the breakout character of 1929. A whole series of Fleischer cartoons built around quick changes and squeaky shoes. Yikes.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Selachian posted:

Well, Liberace would probably fight him for that title.

But I think the joke is that the writer turns out a script on racism that's just a string of cliches ... and Hollywood is still so afraid of controversy that they replace the black character with a blond, blue-eyed all-American type, completely obliterating whatever social message the script might have had.

Based on a true story. Although knowing Serling, he wouldn't do it the easy way if it was in his power.

As far as confronting civil rights issues, 1950s television (on the fictional side, at least) was an embarrassment. One of the anthology series did a version of Huckleberry Finn and Jim wasn't even in it.

Which somehow segues into today's Pogo, where superior logic is no match for overwhelming numbers. (January 15-16, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (January 21-24, 1954)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County is still in mourning.

Skippy (November 16, 1928)

Peanuts, with another reminder that yes, this is 1969. (January 17, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

The punchline: Following your heart is a great way to go broke. Nobody who tells you to do it actually expects you to.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 6-7, 1928)

Thimble Theater (August 3, 1929)

Oooooo, what that headline's promising for tomorrow. :neckbeard:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

No I am not human, I am a computer programmed to inflict pain, hence posting Mike du Jour.

Bah, automation. Give me the human touch. The sociopathic, white-knuckle human touch. Like the jackal that planted the posthypnotic suggestion that compels me to post Funky Winkerbean every morning.

Pogo (January 17, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (January 25-27, 1954)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (November 17, 1928)

Peanuts (January 18, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 8-9, 1928)

Thimble Theater (August 5, 1929)

Not only is he back, but he's back to render a beating! :allears:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

onceagainwiththeshortSunday

Bloom County

Peanuts (January 18, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County is in the sexual offender registry.

Skippy (November 19, 1928)

Peanuts (January 20, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

That's what happens when you hang out with Alison Krauss. :shrug:

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Just in case you thought the strip was winding down.

Out Our Way presents the pros and cons of having a gift for words. (August 10-11, 1928)

Thimble Theater gives us the launching point of The Century's Greatest Romance. (August 6, 1929)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pogo (January 18 and 20, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (January 28-31, 1954)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (November 20, 1928)

Peanuts (January 21, 1969)

Please Tell Me We're Not Spending A Whole Week On Robert Plant

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 13-14, 1928)

Thimble Theater (August 7, 1929)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (November 21, 1928)

Peanuts (January 22, 1969)

Funky WILL YOU SHUT UP ALREADY ABOUT ROBERT MOTHERFUCKING PLANT???!!!

Also, it's called a playlist, not a listening list, for God's sake. I know TomBat pops an authorial boner for alliteration, but it just makes everybody sound like an idiot. More than usual, anyway.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 15-16, 1928)

A perfect one to post for when it's 17 degrees outside.

Thimble Theater (August 8, 1929)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Pogo (January 21-22, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (February 1-3, 1954)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (November 22, 1928)

Peanuts (January 23, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

After "listening list', I'm going to need some convincing that sortware is even a word.

Crankshaft

Meanwhile, across town and ten years earlier, the brownie that defies the laws of God and man at least left the drat room.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which a rising hero makes a tactical error. (August 9, 1929)

• Locked thread