Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Kassad posted:

When both LR and the PS seem to be falling over themselves to copy the FN's ideas? Not really, no.
I was using that irony thing. It is not in fact reassuring that the National Front would be within a 4-6% swing of winning the presidency if Le Pen ran against Sarko or Hollande.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Prince John posted:

Which raises the difficult question of whether the police should be policing these demonstrations more aggressively, if the participants are able to attack the public at will.

In an ideal world, it shouldn't be necessary for citizens to form street gangs to protect the public at large from political violence.

(For avoidance of doubt, that's not a comment or criticism on you or anyone else who chooses to go out and bash the fash. I haven't made up my mind on that one yet. )

When the EDL were in Sheffield as far as I could tell there was no real effort by police to contain them, they were just wandering about in the road outside Wetherspoons shouting at people until the counterprotestors started turning up and then they were mostly trying to keep them separated.

Bashing or not is a bit of a moot point because they tend to respond to counterprotests with violence and it is perfectly legitimate to want to shout at fascists who've turned up in your city uninvited.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

https://twitter.com/ExcelPope/status/694572073054789633

(one autocomplete result is notably absent)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don't believe anyone who says they go to antifa protests not looking for a fight but congrats on being violent for the right reasons I guess

Tesseraction posted:

No-one in this thread is safe from my guillotine.

Well okay maybe 2-3 of you.

It's me.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

LemonDrizzle posted:

I was using that irony thing. It is not in fact reassuring that the National Front would be within a 4-6% swing of winning the presidency if Le Pen ran against Sarko or Hollande.

Ah, my bad.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Prince John posted:

Which raises the difficult question of whether the police should be policing these demonstrations more aggressively, if the participants are able to attack the public at will.

In an ideal world, it shouldn't be necessary for citizens to form street gangs to protect the public at large from political violence.

(For avoidance of doubt, that's not a comment or criticism on you or anyone else who chooses to go out and bash the fash. I haven't made up my mind on that one yet. )

Just as some food for thought, here's a video showing police and neo-nazis standing shoulder to shoulder and punching Antifa in Dover on Sat:

https://twitter.com/itheshortone/status/694246238204641281

One of the Nazis is very, very obviously armed.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Just as some food for thought, here's a video showing police and neo-nazis standing shoulder to shoulder and punching Antifa in Dover on Sat:

https://twitter.com/itheshortone/status/694246238204641281

One of the Nazis is very, very obviously armed.

Guy in black attacks guy in red, police push guy in black off. Clearly that officer is the son of Hitler :rolleyes:

I'd be interested in seeing what happened about 10 second later, when guy with weapon actually uses it and the police's reaction.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Namtab posted:

Guy in black attacks guy in red, police push guy in black off. Clearly that officer is the son of Hitler :rolleyes:

I'd be interested in seeing what happened about 10 second later, when guy with weapon actually uses it and the police's reaction.

Well i was there and I can tell you what happened all day: the police made every effort to ensure the freedom of movement for the fash, tried to kettle antifa while we were being pelted with bricks and bottles, helped the fash complete part of their march, and failed to prevent 5 separate large attacks on antifa who were passively occupying Market Square.

But hey, i'm sure you had a real good view from behind your computer.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Well i was there and I can tell you what happened all day: the police made every effort to ensure the freedom of movement for the fash, tried to kettle antifa while we were being pelted with bricks and bottles, helped the fash complete part of their march, and failed to prevent 5 separate large attacks on antifa who were passively occupying Market Square.

But hey, i'm sure you had a real good view from behind your computer.

I spent my weekend watching anime :)

E: read mangs also

Namtab fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 2, 2016

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Jedit posted:

You should never seek out violence.

Bashing the Fash is infact the Fashion of today.

Oberleutnant posted:

Literally everything you just typed is wrong, wrong, wrong.
They were the ones bringing bags full of knives, clubs, and knuckle dusters and initiated the throwing of bricks and bottles - previsely against people who could defend ourselves.
They also have a long and well documented history of savage and cowardly attacks on individual passers-by when not opposed by Antifa.

Come on man, you're smarter than this for gently caress's sake.

Jedit is acting like Coohoolin in someways recently.

Must be the Scotpol thread toxicity levels.

Namtab posted:

I don't believe anyone who says they go to antifa protests not looking for a fight but congrats on being violent for the right reasons I guess

Less looking for a fight and more being prepared for a fight is a better way of putting it.

Besides, dosen't the police only show up when the anti-fash appear anyway? Fascists I don't think go and ask permission to display bigotry around public places.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Should have pushed them all off the pier imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTT1qUswYL0

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should generally avoid seeking out violence for the sake of it but if you know someone else is going to be seeking out violence against people who would prefer not to be violent, and you're willing to meet it yourself then yeah go seek out violence with them.

Basically cunts are fair game.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Should have pushed them all off the pier imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTT1qUswYL0

With anchors attached to their feet.

OwlFancier posted:

You should generally avoid seeking out violence for the sake of it but if you know someone else is going to be seeking out violence against people who would prefer not to be violent, and you're willing to meet it yourself then yeah go seek out violence with them.

Basically cunts are fair game.

I remember bullying a bully at secondary school because he kept bullying this disabled person. He started pissing me off when he kept annoying me and then I just snapped.

I chased him with a steel pipe in the boys brigade. It took three 16-19 year olds to hold me back.

Fun times. He never bothered me since.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did he leave off the disabled kid?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Extreme0 posted:

With anchors attached to their feet.

I remember bullying a bully at secondary school because he kept bullying this disabled person. He started pissing me off when he kept annoying me and then I just snapped.

I chased him with a steel pipe in the boys brigade. It took three 16-19 year olds to hold me back.

Fun times. He never bothered me since.

Seems healthy

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Namtab posted:

Seems healthy
This attitude of yours is contemptible.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

This attitude of yours is contemptible.

Relax

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Did he leave off the disabled kid?

Yea he did because I was keeping an eye on the kid when I had the spare-time till the bully got the message.

The bully was going to go up to him one time till he saw me just hanging nearby, he just turned back and walked away quickly.

Namtab posted:

Seems healthy

Releasing all your anger out instead of bottling it in is preety much a healthy thing to do.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

Seems healthy

you spend your weekends watching anime and you're lecturing other people about what is healthy.

you're literally an undatable

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
We were kettled fairly early, but before we were a tiny woman with us managed to clock a human thumb with something. Got him in the shoulder pretty good.

If I wasn't involved I'd have asked her out then and there.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Extreme0 posted:

Yea he did because I was keeping an eye on the kid when I had the spare-time till the bully got the message.

The bully was going to go up to him one time till he saw me just hanging nearby, he just turned back and walked away quickly.

Releasing all your anger out instead of bottling it in is preety much a healthy thing to do.

I was more referring to the pipe. I'm happy it all worked out for the best though.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It all depends if you see violence as always bad, or not. I don't see violence as inherently bad, just that it leads to bad outcomes. It is perfectly possible, to achieve good outcomes with violence or its threat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

undatable
Is that one of these things?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Extreme0 posted:

Then I see no issue.

Though I never quite got the whole releasing anger being healthy thing. Whenever I released my anger I tried to kill people, fortunately I was a hilariously pathetic child and unable to actually kill anyone.

But yeah releasing anger never did me much good.

nothing to seehere posted:

It all depends if you see violence as always bad, or not. I don't see violence as inherently bad, just that it leads to bad outcomes. It is perfectly possible, to achieve good outcomes with violence or its threat.

Violence is inherently bad but it is far from inherently the worst. There are things much worse than just the commission of violence.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Then I see no issue.

Though I never quite got the whole releasing anger being healthy thing. Whenever I released my anger I tried to kill people, fortunately I was a hilariously pathetic child and unable to actually kill anyone.

But yeah releasing anger never did me much good.

I'm not sure, but I think they've done clinical trials and found that regular stress relief is good for you mental well-being, were stress includes anger.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
As I mentioned before, better the fash get into a scrap with some big lads looking for a fight than some poor pensioner who fails the paper bag test.

It's all well and good being all "oh, I abhor all violence" until the judicious application of violence is the only thing stopping Nazis cracking innocent people's jaws.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

nothing to seehere posted:

I see violence as inherently bad. I do accept that sometimes there's no other way to achieve a positive outcome though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stress relief is great and I spend as much time as I can doing it, just the whole "act on your anger to get rid of it" which i got a lot (and still get) is exactly the thing that got me into most trouble.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Turning up to fight fascist agitators is like turning up to fight football hooligans. It's not an amazingly well thought out plan.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fascists aren't amazingly thoughtful people, so that seems more than sufficient.

Even if you just give them something else to focus on it's better than them marching around smashing up anyone and anything they think isn't aryan enough. Which they will. Because the police won't stop them.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fans posted:

Turning up to fight fascist agitators is like turning up to fight football hooligans. It's not an amazingly well thought out plan.

it's a p. good plan if u want to fight fascissts

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o38R8i5Af_Y

I mean this looks quite well thought out

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Stress relief is great and I spend as much time as I can doing it, just the whole "act on your anger to get rid of it" which i got a lot (and still get) is exactly the thing that got me into most trouble.

It's about trying to figure out why you're angry and taking positive steps towards resolving the issues I guess. Stress relief is a good way of releasing the anger but you need to treat the cause ultimately.

JFairfax posted:

you spend your weekends watching anime and you're lecturing other people about what is healthy.

you're literally an undatable
I work hard as a nurse 5 days a week supporting people who are literally societies most vulnerable minority, hampered by a lack of resources (both health and social). Please forgive me for spending a weekend with nothing better to do doing something I enjoy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JFairfax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o38R8i5Af_Y

I mean this looks quite well thought out

Why the gently caress are russian football hooligans re-enacting middle-ages formation battles?

Namtab posted:

It's about trying to figure out why you're angry and taking positive steps towards resolving the issues I guess. Stress relief is a good way of releasing the anger but you need to treat the cause ultimately.

Thoroughly agree. Had much better results with not getting angry than trying to deal with anger.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Namtab posted:

I work hard as a nurse 5 days a week supporting people who are literally societies most vulnerable minority, hampered by a lack of resources (both health and social). Please forgive me for spending a weekend with nothing better to do doing something I enjoy.

well that is very commendable and you do good work, anime is unforgivable.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Actually, it owns.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
All I've learned so far is "The Purge" wasn't that farfetched a movie apparently.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

well that is very commendable and you do good work, anime is unforgivable.

All right you don't like anime granddad. Jeez.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Why the gently caress are russian football hooligans re-enacting middle-ages formation battles?
It's better than just wandering around the streets in groups of varying sizes looking for a fight.

I wish football hooligans here would pick a nice open area to do that kind of poo poo in a semi-organized way instead of breaking bar furniture and wandering around town shouting abuse at people to try and get a reaction.

e: Who is anime granddad?

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
footy hooligans should just pretend they're LARPING or recreating historical battle, like for instance they could recreate famous street fights of the Weimar Republic

• Locked thread