Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
2016 AD, 1 SDCFADP. Or is it more like 32 SDCFADP? I figure it would be best to get it out of the way now so we don't end up with any of the silliness the Georgian calendar had when it turned out Jesus was not actually born on 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Because cutting off the resources used by the opposition isn't that?

Let's see, in the past few months we've seen the conservatives:
- Dramatically throttle the already limited powers of trade unions to strike in their members' interests
- Cut off large amounts of political funding from those trade unions to the parties they support
- Threaten to neuter the second chamber for doing their job of vetting and challenging lovely legislation and underhanded tactics
- Threaten to cut off the funding which allows the opposition to act on a level playing field with the Government.
- Repeatedly lie about the motivations of the opposition and utilise a friendly press to make out that the opposition are everything from a security threat to outright terrorist sympathisers
- Start a war (or exppand it to an new country, anyway) with a nebulous and ill-defined foreign enemy in order to stir jingoistic fervour
- Repeatedly demonise the leaders of the opposition for any number of imagined slights to said jingoistic fervour

I don't know about you but I'm getting progressively more and more terrified of Cameron and cronies right now. And this is only 8 months into a 5 year term.

e: some relevant historical fact I don't know.

How could you write a post on this without mentioning increasing the number of spies threefold and trying to get powers to spy on everyone in secret courts where it is also a crime to tell people exactly how the government is trying to hack people's PCs and their long standing commitment to getting rid of the red tape of the humans rights act so are boys can't be trialed for war crimes?

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

Cuts have lead to a reduction in ukmt services.

I'm still hopeful that grassroots anti-cuts movements like the one spearheaded by upstart David Cameron will get us a new thread.

• Locked thread