Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Kegluneq posted:

Pissflaps won't gently caress his sisters and we're really upset about that
When we starting going out, I was explaining to my girlfriend that I used to date a girl with the same name as my stepsister at the same time that my stepsister was dating somebody with my name and how confusing it all was. For a short while my girlfriend thought I was telling her that I used to sleep with my sister.

She did a stand-up job of being OK with it by telling herself there was no blood relation. Well that's my story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

blowfish posted:

which mathematically illiterate goonlord got mad enough to give you your avatar?
Ha, that happened after I posted in (or started, not sure which) a thread arguing about whether 0.9 recurring is equal to 1 (spoiler: it is). It devolved into a complete frothing cesspool of nerd rage on both sides and I think it was actually bannable to bring it up for a while. A real life friend of mine who's also a goon bought me this so I could always remember <3
Edit: I think this was about the same time or maybe the same thread as the 'airplane on a treadmill' thing. Truly the glory days of goondom.

serious gaylord posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...lking-away.html

I really wish he'd stop shooting himself in the foot in front of the media.
Why is this him 'shooting himself in the foot'? Seems to me he's just not letting the media distract him from today's message, which as he pointed out is the railways.

TACD fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 4, 2016

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

nothing to seehere posted:

How did arguing if 0.999999... = 1 even become a thread? The airplane-treadmill thing at least has some complex engineering in it, but the proof for why 0.99999... = 1 is so simple we were taught it in year 8, and I'm pretty sure its in IGCSE maths, if not GCSE.
I have a feeling it may have been a post in a 'weird mathematical / logic problems' thread or something like that. I have a vague memory of it including things like the blue eyes puzzle as well. But yea, I think it spiralled out of control because the answer is blatantly, plainly obvious to both sides for different reasons.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

LemonDrizzle posted:

Yesterday he blew his own campaign on train ticket prices off the front pages with the start of the reshuffle. Today he's ensuring that there's at best minimal coverage of the Tories passing their new housing bill
This must be the mindset the media has constantly. Corbyn has said literally nothing about a reshuffle, has given the press no fuel, and actively tried to keep journalists on target yesterday during the train thing by not answering irrelevant questions about a Daesh video. So of course the two days' worth of empty speculation is all his fault, how could it not be?

As another poster said, the papers are all already screeching "IT'S CORBYN'S FAULT", they're just wording it awkwardly at the moment because he hasn't said or done anything they can blame him for yet.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Seriously though, the loving gall of this spunkbubble.
Cameron's 'surviving' children? Holy poo poo haha

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pissflaps posted:

Anything has to be better than this.
Remind me again of your favoured choice for Labour leader? I've forgotten :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I personally hope all the Blairite shits quit and Corbyn is able to have an ideologically pure Shadow Cabinet from now until 2020 while being able to say "well I tried" to everyone hypocritically yelling about a broad church.
Yea, seems to me we're finally getting the purge everyone was so excited for a couple of months ago :toot:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jose posted:

its cool how quickly a few shadow junior ministers resigning stopped north korea maybe detonating a hydrogen bomb being the main news item
North Korea is being pretty weak here by not playing into the media cycle IMO

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

feedmegin posted:

With an exemption for 'PhD-level jobs'. I wonder how that's defined (speaking as someone with an American girlfriend who's getting a PhD and wants to live over here!)
I was going to say, £35,000 is more than the median wage for junior doctors isn't it? I guess that exception means they won't have to start deporting whoever is still working for the NHS in April.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I didn't see this posted yet. We can add Emily Thornberry to the list of people / places / things that are a threat to our national charcuterie security:

quote:

The Conservative Party press office has said the appointment of Emily Thornberry as shadow defence secretary confirms Labour is a “threat to our national security” – prompting widespread ridicule on social media.

Ms Thornberry is seen as closer to party leader Jeremy Corbyn on defence issues, including on whether the UK should build more nuclear weapons when its current stock expires.

The attack by the Conservatives follows a general shift in rhetoric by the party towards talking about “security” – with a previously slogan, “long-term economic plan”, apparently jettisoned.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tories-ridiculed-for-saying-emily-thornberry-is-a-threat-to-national-security-a6798956.html

We're very nicely positioned for one last little push into full 'any dissent from Tory Thought is a threat to the nation'.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Poison Jam posted:

Wait, what?
Oh man, I hadn't heard of this either but it's good.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/02/mobile-and-headphone-use-in-public-a-barrier-to-terror-alertness

quote:

Official guidance is for people to be “alert but not alarmed” at the threat from terrorism, but Lady Neville-Jones suggested citizens were not as vigilant as they could be.

“I think being alert is very important. I am alarmed by the number of people I see wandering along the street entirely engaged in their mobile telephones and with their ears plugged into music and they are not aware of their surroundings. You need to be aware of your surroundings,” she told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. “You do have to take some personal responsibility.”

This seems to get perilously close to blaming victims for not spotting terrorists ahead of time. Certainly, England has a problem with not being suspicious enough of anybody who looks terrorist-y and we need to make sure this is addressed.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

If you go up into Northumberland there's a little village called Shilbottle to whose road sign some enterprising individual has added the pertinent horizontal line.

Shocked, appalled and frankly disappointed that nobody has posted the relevant Stewart Lee bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUr8HanFppA

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

:siren: 11-dimensional chess theory confirmed :siren:

Reshuffle was like multidimensional game of chess, says Jeremy Corbyn

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn has likened his frontbench reshuffle to “a multidimensional game of chess”, speaking for the first time since completing the three-day reorganisation of his top team.

Speaking to the Yorkshire Post on Thursday, the Labour leader said of the process: “You start off with a chessboard and that’s fine, then you realise you’re playing a game on a parallel board as well and then you suddenly find there’s a third board down the way.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I think poor Simon is still horny and alone

quote:

Sophena Houlihan contacted Mr Danczuk on Saturday to say she wanted to apologise and four days later he responded and tried to persuade her to meet for a coffee by saying it would “actually be funny” and told her she would be paid a fee if she agreed to be photographed by an agency alongside him.

Ms Houlihan contacted Mr Danczuk on Saturday – two days after reports of the sexual exchanges were exposed – to say: “I just wanna say sorry.”

Four days later Mr Danczuk replied saying: “Hi Sophena! I’m sorry too. Hope it hasn’t caused too much upset.”

He then explained to her that a media agency was offering to organise a rendezvous for the two of him.

Mr Danczuk wrote: “Come on, let’s do this first meeting . . . it’ll actually be funny!”

He added: “It sounds like a good idea to me, think they’ll pay you a fee etc take photos.”
I mean, he's right. It is pretty funny. :v:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Saurus posted:

Are you just pretending to miss the part where my views are in part due to women I know and love experiencing repeateded attempted sexual assault at the hands of near-exclusively Muslim men? And that maybe I don't want thousands of other women to suffer the same way? but nope RACIST MISOGYNIST let the women suffer, they're racist for not wanting to be shagged 100% of the time by a Mohammetan anyway.
You sure have some exciting and colourful opinions, I look forward to your imminent contribution of some statistics or other actual data to back them up!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

baka kaba posted:

Seriously? He literally just put out an album, that's bizarre
Cancer is the biggest bitch of all

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pork Pie Hat posted:

You see, the Government thinks encryption is important, and they don't want a key or backdoor into encrypted communications; they want that responsibility to lie with tech companies.

They still want to weaken encryption, they just want to be able to point the finger at tech companies if it happens. "It was Facebook that read your encrypted WhatsApp chat, not us!" they'll say.

This will also be handy when they need to blame something other than their psychotic foreign policies for the next terrorist attack; "well we would have been able to stop it, but unaccountable technology companies refused to weaken encryption that only nonces and terrorists use."
I think they just really, fundamentally don't understand encryption, and think companies are just being unnecessarily difficult about the whole thing. "Look, if Joe has a password that lets him into Facebook, why is it so hard to just give the government a second password they can use in emergencies? And if somebody does somehow get the secret government password, you can just change it and give us a new one!"

Remember that Jeremy Hunt also thinks magic water counts as medicine, so these people aren't the best at living in our reality. When your whole background is in politics or economics and you're used to being able to make things real by saying it loudly enough or throwing enough money at it, it's probably a bit hard to get your head around the idea of facts that can't be bought.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ddraig posted:

No Craig Charles, no sell :colbert:

e: I always found it quite sweet how both Robert Llewellyn and Craig Charles both went off to do TV shows about mechanics and engineering but Robert went the Scrapheap Challenge route of making cool poo poo and Craig went the route of "make cool poo poo destroy each other"
And Chris Barrie did his 'Massive Machines' thing. Only Danny John-Jules has no interest in giant killer robots :(

Oberleutnant posted:

It'll have a big hammer on the front that slams down, and a sickle blade that rotates horizontally around the chassis real quickly.
It'll also keep veering uncontrollably off to the left.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sebzilla posted:

Actually, talking of Noel Edmonds, does anyone have a link to that article about him from a while ago where it went into just how batshit he is?
Are you thinking of the Jon Ronson article?

StoneOfShame posted:

Was mortis the name of the robot that entered every year, had a really mad pick axe that could ruin poo poo and they always went on about how technically minded its team was/how much it cost but then it just instantly got beat some piece of poo poo looking wedge on wheels. This happened every time.
I always remember Razer as looking totally badass and being quite powerful, and then every match it just quietly died halfway through :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

I think Discos if you got a nice flat one and put some edge spin on it.

Pringles maybe, but I think the hyperbolic shape would gently caress things up.
I bet you could get a good spin on Squares and turn them into salty little ninja stars :ninja:

E: 1889: The Coca-Cola Company is incorporated, increasing childhood belching by 400% [citation needed]

TACD fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 15, 2016

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Out of interest, what sort of ID card, a driving licence?

I ask because I was trying to find an officially recognised ID card so I wouldn't have to carry my passport around when I needed to prove my ID, and I don't drive.
Isn't there an officially recognised age verification card available? Failing that it's probably easiest to just get a learner license even if you don't intend to learn.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

The same reason that British peers don't gently caress children?
Point-blank refusing to learn the facts about a given situation is a foolproof method of ensuring the situation never happened. You might have some evidence that suggests otherwise, but I'm not going to look at it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zalakwe posted:

You've touched on a fundamental issue for the British left here, failure to articulate a vision. I like Corbyn a lot and will be voting for his candidates should I get the chance (think I'll get at least one in London), however if the left wing ever want to win a national election again they have to nail down why people should vote for them. Not why the Tories are awful, not the mechanics how they will make things better, but the better UK at the end of the road.

Security is a great example of this, why vote Tory on security? They articulate their vision so simply “We will keep you safe”. Comparatively, why vote Labour? “Because some of us like nuclear weapons and some don’t” “We need to talk to some people then we might be able to decide what’s best in the future.” As policy positions or conversation starters both of these are arguably fine but they say nothing about direction and don’t inspire confidence as a result.

I don't think this is necessarily Corbyn's fault, he did well to bring a few strands together on Andrew Marr at the weekend actually (leading to today's Sun cover which I sincerely hope will be tomorrow's laughing stock), however he's in charge now and must do more to set out a future people can get behind, not a set of policies, a vision. Would it be too much to ask the Labour party to agree that they want a world without nuclear weapons in the long run? Not a big step but a start, also a good stick to beat team patriotism with.
I think this is a problem with the left everywhere, in general terms. You can't deliver the same simple, pithy vision as the right because the underlying situation is complex and nuanced, and demands a nuanced response. It's simple enough for the right to say "Learn English or GTFO, rah rah rah" and it gets votes because it feels sort of agreeable to many people. That kind of messaging doesn't work for the left because they'll ask "hold on though, do the people who can't speak English have access to learning tools? What happens when half a family can't speak English? What new problems does this create?" and you can't chant that. You can inspire a votable kind of bellyfeel in the right in a thousand different ways, but the left wants to nitpick and get the one true assessment of what's really happening, and that necessarily takes time and consideration.

I don't really know what a good solution to this would look like, other than 'teach critical thinking and analysis as key skills from a young age' and generally try to shift the culture towards celebration of careful analysis and rejection of simplistic views. Or somehow get the message across to more of the left that as long as the policies are in broadly the right direction, cohesiveness is more important than the precise details.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ungrateful bastard Corbyn snubs bicycle fundraising efforts

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn will donate the money raised by supporters to buy him his “dream bike” to charity, he has said.

The Labour leader however told the Independent on Sunday that he would give all the money to charity and buy the bike himself for his 67th birthday, as a "treat".

Asked if he would accept the money raised online, Mr Corbyn said: "Of course not. I'll give it to charity."

Won't name his cat, won't accept a gift, probably won't even touch a child inappropriately. It all makes me so angry!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

To suggest this isn't yet another gaffe is ludicrous. Corbyn has once again needlessly managed to give the press a stick to beat him with.
Corbyn is going to get beaten up by the press no matter what he says; the last several months have been ongoing evidence of that. Frankly, I think the fact that after all this time the press has been unable to find a real 'gotcha' where he's contradicted himself or changed his mind on some core principle, and has instead been forced to keep putting out such weaksauce attacks, is a testament to the man's integrity.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

serious gaylord posted:

At some point you have to stop the 'Corbyn is always going to get blasted by the media' responses and realise that the man keeps repeatedly placing his foot into his mouth with great force. He can and still should express his honest opinions, there are just much much MUCH better ways to word them that would prevent 99% of said hostile media reaction.
I guess I'm of the opinion that the wording is the thin end of the wedge here; I feel like better phrasing would help by maybe 5-10%, but at the cost of Corbyn sounding far less genuine and unrehearsed, which is a huge strength of his almost entirely unique in British politics. (I actually think Jacob Rees-Mogg shares this with him, which is part of why he's so difficult to hate.) As OvineYeast said, the media just hates the things he's saying however they're phrased.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Donald Trump debate: Tory MP says UK should 'apologise to US' for having debate about banning the Republican

quote:

A Conservative MP has called for the UK to “apologise to the people of the United States” for a petition to ban Donald Trump from the country.

Adam Holloway said the debate on whether to ban the Republican presidential candidate from British shores “makes Britain look totalitarian”.

Another Conservative MP, Philip Davies, said more politicians should be like Mr Trump.

He said: "We should celebrate more often politicians who stand up and say things that are unpopular.

“It’s in part because of political correctness that the straight talking of Donald Trump has proved so popular with the electorate out there.”

Tories falling over themselves to go full fash now Trump's made it fashionable. You might remember Philip Davies as the filibustering jackass who worked so hard to prevent controversial bills such as 'give carers free hospital parking' and 'ban wild animals being used in circuses' from being debated.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jose posted:

i wonder if the tories realise that osborne is really not going to be seen well by the general public in the way that cameron is really capable of appearing to care. imagine him trying to defend the tories record on the nhs
I assume at the pace they're dismantling and defunding the apparatus of democracy they're not overly concerned about having to win the next election legitimately.

Oberleutnant posted:

If the shelter were JC Decaux I'd just steal the thing; but it's a Clear Channel one that I have no idea how to open.
I figure I just spraypaint some bollocks over it, but what?
You've answered your own question here surely?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Fans posted:

It's a bit weasely an answer. They're not technically banning encryption, the Bill just gives them the power to force companies to use Encyrption that can be broken in house, rather than using End-to-End Encryption.

Technically End-to-End Encryption would still be legal, if you're not a company.
"We don't want to break encryption! We just want companies to implement encryption that only we can break!" :downs:

Also, next week's strike is on hold again:

quote:

Junior doctors have called off the second of their planned series of three strikes, which was set to seriously disrupt hospital services across England next week just as winter pressures on the NHS are building up.

The British Medical Association, which represents 38,000 of England’s 45,000 junior doctors, said it had decided to suspend plans for a 48-hour walkout scheduled to start next Tuesday, 26 January, at 8am.

One BMA official described it as “a goodwill gesture” to try and give the BMA, NHS Employers and Department of Health another chance to resolve the long-running dispute via continuing talks under the auspices of Acas.

All sides are becoming increasingly optimistic that a peace deal can be agreed, possibly this week.

However, a key member of the BMA’s junior doctors committee (JDC) said: “This isn’t peace in our time. It’s just a postponement of war.”

The junior doctors’ third planned stoppage – an all-out strike on 10 February – could still happen but an end to the row over the terms and conditions of junior doctors’ new contracts starting this August is now looking much more likely.

Dr Johann Malawana, the chair of the JDC, said: “The BMA’s aim has always been to deliver a safe, fair junior doctor contract through negotiated agreement. Following junior doctors’ clear message to the government during last week’s action, our focus is now on building on early progress made in the current set of talks.

“On this basis, the BMA has today taken the decision to suspend the industrial action planned for 26-28 January, thereby giving trusts as much notice as possible so as to avoid disruption to patients.

“It is important to be clear, however, that differences still exist between the BMA and the government on key areas, including the protection of patient safety and doctors’ working lives, and the recognition of unsocial hours. Significant, concrete progress will need to be made if future action, currently planned for 10 February, is to be averted.”

The Department of Health welcomed the suspension. “The strike that took place last week was unnecessary while talks are ongoing, so it’s extremely welcome news that the BMA has suspended next week’s action, though as it stands emergency care will still be withdrawn in February. In the end, the government and junior doctors want to do the same thing by improving patient care at weekends – and we look forward to further constructive discussions”, a spokeswoman said.

The BMA’s decision to suspend next week’s industrial action came after David Cameron on Monday repeated the threat to impose a new contract on junior doctors without their consent, arguing that they could not be allowed to “block progress in our NHS”.

His position echoed that of the health secretary, Jeremy Hunt, who said last week that the contract could be imposed as a last resort but he would prefer to come to a negotiated settlement.

The prime minister told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “We can’t rule that [imposition] out because we can’t simply go into a situation where the junior doctors have a complete veto block over progress in our NHS.

“But we’re talking to them in very good faith, I think we’ve settled 15 of the 16 issues that they raised, there’s an 11% basic pay rise on the table … and, for instance, we’ve just put on the table the idea no one should be asked to work two Saturdays in a row.

“I don’t want this strike situation to continue. What I want is what I put in our manifesto, which is a more seven-day NHS for which we do need some contract changes.”

One of the main obstacles to a resolution centres on how much of the week should be classed as a junior doctor’s normal working hours, and thus attract only basic pay. Currently, junior doctors – anyone below the level of consultant – are paid extra for working after 7pm on a weekday and at any point over the weekend. Under Hunt’s contract extra pay would not apply until after 10pm on weekdays and after 7pm on Saturdays.

He has proposed an 11% rise in basic pay to compensate for this loss of overtime, but the BMA says junior doctors would still be up to 30% worse off.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

To me, the interesting point here is that this shows the government really, truly believes their own bullshit about encryption and backdoors (either that or they've knowingly offered the rest of the world a backdoor into private government comms in order to make a point, which doesn't seem likely). Or, since the system was developed by GCHQ, you could suggest that maybe GCHQ is trying to keep an eye on the rest of the government to make sure they don't try to do anything to limit their spying :tinfoil:

Presumably this will get hacked by Russia or China or somebody, and they'll realise what a bad idea it is (for them, not us).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

serious gaylord posted:

Where a man who has been acquitted in a retrial must still notify police anytime he wishes to have sex for the next 4 months or face 5 years in prison.
*ring ring*
Hello, York Police?
Yea, I'm havin' yer mam again, same time tomorrow. Cheers.
*click*

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pissflaps posted:

Another blunder for Corbyn as he misses an open goal opportunity by refusing to condemn parents of children who choose not to get dressed before taking their kids to school.
"Corbyn condemns parents" does sound like a sure-fire vote winner, yes.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Are we allowed an exception for the fire alarm going off in the middle of the night? Or is that a slippery slope that ends up back at the disgusting situation we're in now?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

if it becomes urgent there's always ... dying prematurely
tsk, typical workshy scrounger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Namtab posted:

I liked the bits where he cites himself.
This isn't at all uncommon in science FYI.

• Locked thread