Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's insane the impact this incredibly niche sport has on the country.

Niche? I'll think you'll find it represents millions of pounds of economic activity! :wotwot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So how about that new propaganda movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AsOdX7NcJs

Saw this trailer at the pictures last night. Still can't decide if it's supposed to make me pro- or anti-west.

PS star wars is surprisingly good

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wait, I thought the comic came before he said that?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dabir posted:

In mathematics, a sequence which 'tends towards' 1 does not actually reach it. For instance: 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, each element is a little closer to 1 than the last, but even an infinite number of elements would never actually reach 1. So in the same way, perhaps the Tories could be said to tend towards fascism.

Uncountable infinities are dumb*, unless you want a concept to describe the scope of my bad opinions about maths. If you cut one of my posts in half a million times until only fractions of a pixel were left, that subpixel would still demonstrate a horribly poor understanding of applied statistics.

*from a physical perspective. Mostly I'm just irrationally annoyed by certain people citing variations of Zeno's paradoxes but then refusing to actually reach the indicated conclusion that distance and time are not in reality infinitely subdivisible.

Peel posted:

They aren't fascist because they don't have a cult of violence and national renewal, they're right-authoritarian.

Right-authoritarian is like 90% of fascism. Plus I'd argue that even though their policies are actively hurting the country, they embrace the rhetoric of national renewal ("making Britain great again" etc) strongly enough for it to be reasonable to say that's what they're about.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 2, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jose posted:

this is particularly annoying considering what lovely christians they are

What's the point of worshipping an infinitely forgiving god if you never do anything that needs forgiving?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ronya posted:

the element of fascism that they're missing is extraparliamentary force to back up the neutering of formal procedural balances

not that that's much comfort, I appreciate

These days that's called "having a fuckload of money and/or rich friends, especially in mass media"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jeza posted:

Saudi govts at least on the whole are in support of our geopolitical interests in the region.

I also take issue with our geopolitical interests in the region.

Guavanaut posted:

A shock good proposal from a Tory MP? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35214487

The UK correctly decided that it was a bad idea to have a person's race on any of their official documentation, so this seems like a logical step.

Bonus "we are also relevant" from Tim Farron.

That'd be nice. Be interesting to see who whinges about it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I'd like to echo a thought from Philomena Cunk, but in reference to the above Cameron quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJHTZLTLPho&t=3424s

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dabir posted:

*cuts heads off a hydra for decades*

I agree, the problem is we're not fighting the hydra hard enough.

Liberal application of fire was actually the solution to beating the hydra in the original myth, so uh

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

Their angle appears to be that there is no difference between buying someone a sex toy and being an abuser.

What if you buy someone a novelty inflatable pig that just happens to have an uncomfortable looking hole in the back and/or front?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Baracula posted:

Would you bum your sister?

Not even if she was a witch.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

XMNN posted:

lol

clearly they already decided he was a fit person to be an MP in may and thats that for the next 4 years

We already knew Danczuk's brain worked like this.

Y'know, from the sleep sex thing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The one in the middle looks red enough for all of them. (I will never not be amused by EDL/right wing shits in general attempting to use "communist" as a generic attack the same way other people might use "fascist". Really says it all)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

tentish klown posted:

As a few articles have pointed out, nobody complained when Sharapova did it

Which proves society is still sexist, what's your point?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gonzo McFee posted:

It was a Daily Mail article about some Middle England middle class lady who went out and picked brambles and went on to blame anybody who was hungry on being too lazy to go out and dive into a hedge.

If they did she'd be the first to complain about how there's never any brambles anymore because no good poors keep picking them all :bahgawd:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

4. People are pissed off because it looks like you're getting free money to do the fattest part of gently caress all. You've got a blog linked at the top of the page with nothing on it. If I could click on that and see tons of interesting stories about what you'd been up to, how you're spending the money, what lessons you've learned and how it's actually a lot harder than folk are giving you credit for, maybe I wouldn't be nearly as cynical about this. At the moment though, the blog is barren as gently caress and for all we know you're spending the money on Diet Coke and loving lycra deerstalkers or whatever it is that art students are into these days. If it's a genuine challenge that the average person can't do, prove it and show us some interesting poo poo; if anyone can do it, what's the loving point in the first place? 

"Why can't I see the end results of this project before the project has started?"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fair, just seemed a bit like reaching to include it. I've no argument with the rest.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ddraig posted:

I don't subscribe to Malthus' views because I think they're evil but I do think that having kids is generally a bad thing, especially (or even exclusively) in developed countries, given that there seems to be absolutely no other concerted effort at all to combat climate change and in general given how lovely things are going to be in a couple of years time, it seems like a net-evil to willingly subject people to that.

I guess having children is a huge, huge contributing factor to climate change in a number of ways thanks to the hosed up way the western world works, so I do feel bad contributing to that.

Do you have any thoughts on why or how this might tie in with "impending extinction of the human race! :supaburn:" being such a big thing in fiction?

It's been around ages but seems like it's getting a second wind lately, whether it's robots or aliens or x-men or whatever, the impending destruction of "humanity" that somehow doesn't involve all people dying (because whatever is replacing or superceding humans is still always identifiable as "people" you could have a friendly chat with if you tried; I'm not talking about zombie apocalypse stuff here) is, in the media in which it appears, a major gut-level driver for the actions of the hero or villain or mob that never really gets analysed. Extinction looms, that's bad and we have to stop it, even though none of us personally are going to die, because

Basically I can't tell if it's A Thing because of some :biotruths: compulsion most people feel to continue their line even if that's not something they intellectually care about, or if it's more related to the kind of knee jerk negative reaction people have to immigration, the feeling that everything will be meaningfully different if the percentage of people similar to themselves changes, or whether it's just a super big version of our inability to deal with death or endings of any kind.

I've had a bit to drink so sorry if this doesn't really make sense.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

We're communists blood.
I can't be the only one that remembers the threadchat ages ago about a modern replacement for comrade.

Nah I got it. What did we think of mate?

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I don't think many people think about it in terms of continuing their line, or creating miniature versions of themselves for the good of humanity or any of that. They just want to have children.

That would explain it I guess. It'd still be nice to see more popular analysis of why people feel like that, but maybe it's too closely held a belief (and too tied in with notions of biological imperatives, even though I'm pretty sure at this point it's far more social conditioning than anything) to touch without setting people off, unless they come to it themselves.

If the only people to have kids were people who both wanted to and could afford to do it and be certain of not dropping into poverty at all in the following 20 years, population growth would be hosed. (assuming a scenario where governments continue to feel like it's not their job to stop anyone falling into poverty, regardless of their childhaving status)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 5, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oberleutnant posted:

100% agreed. I'm assuming the natural assholes are a minuscule percentage of the population.

I imagine that percentage gets much much larger if you include unthinking assholes. Like the kind of person that gets super pissy when they offer a homeless person a coffee and get brushed off because he's just had one.

e/ I think what I'm getting at is, minority of real dickbags aside, how do you stop people thinking in terms of in and out groups? Is it possible for a community to hold its members to account for the way they think of people outside the community? I can't imagine so, because who would ever notice it to do anything about it?

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 6, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

:catstare: Nothing good can come of this.

Unless they bang on about it so much that the public gets tired of security theater and wants a return to something other than surveillance culture.

True security will only come from world peace.

The only true peace is the peace of the grave.

Nuke everything, nuke it hard

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

namesake posted:

Yes the 'gently caress off we're full' political plank is filled with parties, just offering more of the same as them but with no credibility behind you is the worst tactic of all for winning a vote on an issue.

If you want Labour to win on immigration you need to see why people are against it, like that focus group in the article. They aren't saying 'no foreigners' as a principle; they see everything going to hell and assume more people means more pressure on the things they use. Putting forward a credible position of 'our party will be able to make things better even if immigration numbers remain high' will separate the fearful from the bigoted and might turn things around.

Stand on a position of "only useful engines allowed" but quietly lower the bar so that genuinely vital people like low band nurses can actually get in.

Nobody ever pays attention to the details of policy as implemented, otherwise that tax credits woman wouldn't be a thing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Good song, sound advice.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coohoolin posted:

Hey Oberleutnant I was farting around with my recorder thingy and I recorded something just for you

https://soundcloud.com/elijah-fynmore/the-internationale-demo-1

Would you take offence if I said you sound like a singing version of brendan gleeson?

Please don't anyone rush to tell me whatever it is he's inevitably done to earn a place on the wall.

OwlFancier posted:

Hahaha it took me a moment to understand that because I assumed he said "inequality"

They'll probably just let it slide, but it'd be amusing if his press office tried to issue a correction. Like "earlier we said the prime minister said this, but actually he meant to lie; here is the lie, please believe it"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coohoolin posted:

Brendan Gleeson is ace and I'm sure he'd sound like a rougher Luke Kelly if he sang. I appreciate the comparison, although it's probably only because I'm getting over a sore throat and my voice is still rough.

You should smoke more.

(obviously not, but I do sort of regret that the decline of smoking also means the near extinction of gravelly voices in music and film. Not that I should, since it's not easy to sound like that without being hosed up, which makes it a damaging standard to aspire to, but still :()

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 6, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
"There exist empty houses on the market, therefore there is obviously no supply problem" is one I hear quite a bit, and I'm never fully certain how to refute it. Best I've got is that most of those either aren't up to code or are in the wrong place.

thespaceinvader posted:

gently caress's sake Norn Iron, get with the times. Do they still ban gay marriage?

Fakedit they tried to legalise it but no it was vetoed.

A recent string of articles about changing attitudes (both social and scientific) to sex and gender leads me to believe that gay marriage will accidentally be legalised almost everywhere in my lifetime as a result of everyone's sex being made privileged information.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's a honeypot for technically minded terrorists and you know it.

(this is my preemptive sour grapes because fuuuuuck I've always wanted to get on robot wars but it'll probably never happen)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 13, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pork Pie Hat posted:

You'll remember that the last time UKMT had cause to think of Noel Edmonds he was claiming some old bollocks about 'electro-smog' being the single greatest threat to humanity.

Today, though, he seems to be having other concerns:

Being the helpful soul I am, I have already thought of one solution to Mr Edmonds' problem. He could, quite simply, gently caress off and live somewhere else. Everybody wins!

But to leave the country, he'd first have to get to the airport. Before that, he'd have to get to his car. Before that, out of the house.

All of these journeys, impossible, because there are too many loving brown people, just lying around all over the place in drifts three feet deep. He couldn't even get out of bed yesterday, buried as he was beneath a sea of immigrants.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think I have my gender on my driving license either, unless it's secretly hidden in the code bit.

It actually is. The six digits in the middle are made from your date of birth (first digit of the year, then month and day followed by last digit of the year). The second digit has 5 added to it if you're female, so women's licence numbers read x5xxxx or x6xxxx, while men's will be x0xxxx or x1xxxx.

I have no idea what they do for non-binary, or if it's even possible to pick "other" on the initial application. Presumably just defaults to one or the other.

I also have no idea why this is even a thing.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 14, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oberleutnant posted:

Maybe they could increase oil profits by introducing slavery to staff oil rigs.

Fire all the riggers, rehire them as individual contractors with no change in wages, make them pay for their own helicopter rides to the platform, and also pay for the privilege of using all of the heavy equipment needed to actually do their jobs.

Which reminds me, what ever happened with that oil rig that had a McDonald's on it?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

serious gaylord posted:

I suppose the good news is that with oil being so cheap, its stopped companies destroying the arctic as its so expensive to produce oil there its just not worth it.

Uh global warming is still occurring dude

(I can't recall, was it Shell that commissioned an early study on climate change which returned a conclusion of "melting all the sea ice will make oil exploration and exploitation cheaper and more profitable"?)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You wake up and they're there, huddled around the foot of your bed, all cameras and boom mics and paper-thin seriousfaces.

You wonder briefly how they got in to your house, before realising the ceiling is 20 feet away and covered in stage lights.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

JFairfax posted:

where the gently caress is three lions?

Free lines on my shirt. Free lines on my shirt. :cocaine:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Further perpetuating the misunderstanding that "only kills exactly who we aim it at" is the same thing as "only kills exactly who we want it to".

Also the notion that our intelligence is never wrong.

e/ I mean if that MSF hospital had been brimstoned it'd still have been hosed up, but the buildings to either side would have been completely fine. So I guess that's something? (it's not)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 16, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jeza posted:

Is it problematic to believe power should lie in the people's hands if you believe 99.99% of people are idiots?

Not if you're a fatalist. People should choose their own destiny, and if that means crashing the entire planet into the sun then so loving be it.

Personally I'm all for letting intelligent machines take over, since they're guaranteed to turn out more ethical than us what with everyone's constant handwringing over making sure they don't do anything human like have a less than 100% perfect driving record, or kill anyone they're not supposed to due to bad intel, or start wars without asking permission.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pissflaps posted:

I've got a 100% perfect driving record.

They should dissect your brain and put it in the google car so they won't crash any more.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Regarde Aduck posted:

Completely willing to admit we're likely to get a Tory government in 2020. Still not seeing the point of making Labour into another Tory party in order to combat this. Sorry.

Because flaps' stated position is that he supports Labour as a brand, rather than supporting socialist policy and seeing Labour as the best vessel available for reaching that destination within our existing democratic system.

Essentially you agree with each other, since when he's talking about Corbyn being poo poo and unpopular it's always in reference to his 2020 election chances, which you concede are close to nil. The argument you want to have is about whether Corbyn can do Labour and the country any good regardless of a 2020 win by continuing to present real alternatives to Tory policy, and what current polling might say about public opinion on that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LemonDrizzle posted:

Paying yourself dividends is no more tax avoidance than saving into a pension scheme and an ISA is tax avoidance

Um, actually that is tax avoidance. Avoidance is where you take advantage of legal schemes (they don't have to be loopholes) to reduce the amount of tax you pay. Having an ISA is tax avoidance.

There isn't strictly a term for the kind of tax avoidance that popular opinion says ought to be illegal but isn't. Avoision, maybe, but nobody really uses that that I'm aware of even though it's a perfectly cromulent word.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If we get palsy enough with China maybe they'll sell us some of those super accurate carrier killer conventional ballistic missiles they've been working on. :china:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

blowfish posted:

The UK is not on, like, a total war footing, right?

As it is the army has to downsize so this looks pretty shady like an effective policy to reduce the population of idle young men.

Isn't that something you usually prioritise in the colonies? :can:

• Locked thread