Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Try reading it again? It's a well written and clear post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
By that logic shouldn't Corbyn have been deselected years ago?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

XMNN posted:

Well, if his constituents and his local party felt he wasn't adequately representing them then yes, obviously.

But Ddraig is advocating that Corbyn does everything he can to have MPs deselected?

Ddraig posted:

I'm pretty sure he's done a better job than all those Labour MPs who mentioned how their constituents overwhelmingly displayed disapproval for voting for airstrikes, but they decided to vote for it anyway.

This didnt happen though?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ddraig posted:

If MPs do not reflect the people who voted for them then they are clearly not the best person for the job. This isn't a very difficult concept to grasp.

It's sort of the entire basis of the representative democracy we have. That "representative" word is actually quite important, as it happens.

But you're talking about deselection as a tactic to be used or not by Corbyn - not the local party.

If these MPs are MPs it's because they've been elected to the post. That's the democratic bit.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Then in what 'ideal world' is Corbyn doing everything he can to 'get rid of the shits'?

I'm sorry if I've misunderstood ddraig's post but it seemed he/she was advocating deselection at the behest of the Labour leadership.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fans posted:

Deselection doesn't stop them being an MP.

Quite right. And their selection or not is not the 'representative' part of representative democracy.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Which I take to mean that Corbyn should be encouraging CLPs to deselect sitting MPs if they feel they don't represent the CLP's views. But doing so would be represented as a leadership enforced cull as opposed to wanting local parties to be in charge of their own affairs.

I think it would be interpreted as exactly what it was - the labour leadership seeking to deselect MPs that aren't on-side.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 2, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kegluneq posted:

News to me that it's impossible to stand for election as an independent MP.

It's news to me too - I'm not sure why you think I've said that.

Kegluneq posted:

Also, MPs represent their constituents, not their constituency political parties.

That's literally what I'm saying in the post you've quoted.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Why? CLP's with a Corbynist MP are free to deselect them if they don't agree.

Why what?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Why would Corbyn be 'encouraging' something if he didn't want it to happen?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think we're moving a long way from the message of ddraig's post which was specifically about removing those that 'undermine the party'.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fans posted:

That's the purpose of Deselection yes.

Pissflaps what is your actual point here, or are you just arguing over wording for no reason?

I asked ddraig if, by the logic he put forward in his post, Corbyn himself should have been deselected years ago.

None of this discussion has been about wording.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It would be useful if one of you could quote the post about 'wording'.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

If his CLP are unhappy with him then yes. How is that hard to understand?

Your position is not hard to understand, but you didn't write ddraig's post.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

How about the bit before the and you chose not to bold?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Ddraig also said that in an ideal world Corbyn would be doing all he can to remove certain people I.e. not leaving it purely to the CLPs, which prompted my question.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Maybe ddraig is advocating Corbyn breaking into their bedrooms at night and cutting their throats but I prefer to interpret most statements in context and as they were probably meant to be interpreted.

I expect 'doing all he can' lies somewhere between nothing at all and murder.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

And if you had understood ddraig's post you would know that the interpretation was that even something as simple as advocating local democracy in the Labour party was seen as politically problematic for Corbyn given his current opposition within. Hardly the warning signs of a ruthless cull a la Stalin.

Then it seems I have misunderstood ddraig's post in assuming Corbyn 'doing everything he can in an ideal world' to get rid of the shits was nothing more than suggesting CLPs deselect candidates if they want to.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Deselecting a candidate they didn't want to would kind of contradict the central principle that was being discussed so I guess you were just being pretty lazy in your understanding.

I've also made the mistake of imagining a world where Corbyn demonstrates some leadership qualities and influences the opinions of others instead of just letting everybody get on with it. A double serving of egg on my face.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Three terms of labour government is a funny sort of disaster.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Shoot me a pm I'll give you some time management tips.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I find the argument that Tony Blair just 'got lucky' in being leader during the three elections in the last forty years that the Tories could not win unconvincing.

'Anyone' was supposed to be able to beat Major in '92 and that didn't quite work out as planned.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dabir posted:

I'm very sorry to hear that.

A late Christmas present of a post. Lovely stuff.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
My niece and her friends are that age and they seem like a nice bunch of people so not really fair to tar them all with the same brush.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What did people do with the toenail clippings they bought off her?

Renfield posted:

The claims are she was/is a Financial Dom; she never actually meets up with the guys- she's being sent money by guys who want to be 'owned' by a 17 yo, and they get almost nothing in return

Danzcuk's been owned hard by her tbf.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

It's a rather messy topic that I unfortuntly didn't want to derail into but alas, I guess I pulled a pissflaps derail by accident.

No you didn't. I don't want to gently caress my sisters.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

blowfish posted:

basically the argument is that in a hypothetical situation where the relationship will be no more abusive than a normal relationship we shouldn't need to bother to ban it as far as i understand it

also

pissflaps herein admits he is literally donald trump and wants to gently caress his daughter instead

My daughter is 16 months old you're loving revolting.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Incest is bad

Gonzo gets it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Brutal polling figures.

Edit: beaten like Corbyn at the next election.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dispatch_async posted:

Clearly Labour need to adopt UKIP immigration policy. That's how this works isn't it?

Seems like pissflaps also overlooked the EU referendum poll for some reason

What do you think the reason is?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Glad that's settled, this country is a hate filled piss balloon and doing anything to change that will just result in getting piss all over everything.

Agreed. I'm also going to take my ball and go home with it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think it sounds like an interesting project.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The problem with reaching out to none voters is that they don't vote.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

big scary monsters posted:

I'm going to vote to leave the EU so that the rest of Europe doesn't have to put up with the UK's poo poo any more.

What poo poo does the rest of the EU have to put up with from the UK?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bedshaped posted:

The UK being the most financially unequal society in Northern Europe.

Why is that a problem for the EU?

Chocolate Teapot posted:

The UK being a practical tax haven in parts.

I don't think that's unique to the UK.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bedshaped posted:

It hurts our otherwise reputable image.

That's a problem for the UK rather than the EU.

I'm sure there are aspects of the UK's membership of the EU that annoys other member states, but every member state is protecting its own interests. The idea that the UK is spoiling some EU love-in with its mere presence is asinine.

While the UK is one of the few net contributors to the EU budget I think they'd rather have us in than out.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fans posted:

Even Cameron's said we like to annoy the EU.

http://blogs.reuters.com/john-lloyd/2013/01/24/britain-the-annoying-european/

We didn't join the Euro and we like to try weasel out of any collective responsibility when problems arise. That and threatening to leave if we don't get our own way isn't exactly a pleasant trait. We're not a good member, but they need us.

I don't think the UK has a responsibility to fix problems with the Euro.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Guavanaut posted:

Unless the EU do their own version of The Vow just before. And then do nothing about it after. Then there's still cause for complaining.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_Bill_2015%E2%80%9316

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Guavanaut posted:

Do you think Brussels will make a similar vow before the EU referendum?

I'd hope they'd have more sense.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bedshaped posted:

Do you think the UK should leave the EU, Pissflaps?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ddraig posted:

Nicholas Shaxon has written a book about Tax Havens called Treasure Islands. He makes a very strong case as to the UK being a huge tax haven with London in particular being the epicenter.

But is that a problem for the EU or some of its member states?

• Locked thread