Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's 1983 and I'm excited for the new and shiny...
This poll is closed.
The Intellivision 2 34 22.67%
The COLECO ADAM 19 12.67%
The Vectrex 35 23.33%
The Atari 5200 62 41.33%
Total: 150 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

i'm just bitter that Her Story didn't become a much bigger deal, it just kind of came and went. at least the lady won an award on The Official Video Game Awards (that nobody watches or cares about).

I liked Her Story and watching people try and explain how it is Objectively Not A Game Because Reasons and also nitpicking the plotline for not being realistic makes me sad.

Like, I'm really glad I'm the kind of person who sees the heroine pull out a guitar and play a folk song that is also thematically related to the plot and thinks "Aww, what a wonderful little moment" and not "Bringing a guitar into an interrogation room is against police protocol and completely unrealistic, 0/10 due to plot holes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I liked Her Story and watching people try and explain how it is Objectively Not A Game Because Reasons and also nitpicking the plotline for not being realistic makes me sad.

Like, I'm really glad I'm the kind of person who sees the heroine pull out a guitar and play a folk song that is also thematically related to the plot and thinks "Aww, what a wonderful little moment" and not "Bringing a guitar into an interrogation room is against police protocol and completely unrealistic, 0/10 due to plot holes"

I thought it was less "this story is unrealistic" and more "this story has been done before; by the same guy, even."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I vaguely remember enjoying that vgcats comic more than I ever enjoyed PA but I don't know that it exists in any shape or form anymore. Gaming comics in general though just tend to miss a lot more than they hit though.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
I actually know someone who does art in that style, but it's a matter of preference; if need be, they can knock out a technical illustration or 10.

I brought in the new year learning that the Animal Crossing Amiibo game is Mario Party incarnate, only without the minigames but all of the friendship-ruining "this is bullshit" luck mechanics.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

bloodychill posted:

I vaguely remember enjoying that vgcats comic more than I ever enjoyed PA but I don't know that it exists in any shape or form anymore. Gaming comics in general though just tend to miss a lot more than they hit though.

For every 8 bit theatre there's like 200 penny arcades.

Brought in the new year getting owned in Dota and killing dudes via my waifus in Valkyria Chronicles.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
People can't get mad if Undertale asks you to do a pacifist run because doing the pacifist run there is hard and the fights just avoiding the attacks, up to the end of the second area are well crafted and can become legit batshit insanely hard.

Papyrus is officially a Cool guy with a good taste in food, I need to draw and snail mail the dev an official certified "cuoco di spaghetti" from Italy.

On the other hand guys you are all too much defensive of Undertale... it's unhealthy.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I got Ori and the Blind Forest for christmas. I don't give a rat's rear end about their crappy feels yanking story but the game itself plays like an incredible mix of Metroid and Super Meat Boy. There's a few weird/stupid decisions like giving your basic attack a very short range and also giving it a large, flashy animation which makes it hard to spot enemy projectiles through your own attacks but overall it's an incredibly solid and rewarding game, definitely one of the best Metroidvanias I've played which isn't a Metroid or a Castlevania

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Well the first game I bought in 2016 was Dark Souls II; Scholar of the Sins thing and Lego Worlds.

I aim to make 2016 a gaming year better than 2015! Keep on Gaming! Remember it doesn't matter what games you play and enjoy, just so long as you're having fun!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
idk what the first game i am gonna buy this year is

i picked up wasteland 2 for free at gamespot during the buy 2 get 1 free special, is it any good? for ps4

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So is Spooky's House of Jumpscare an actual game for humans to play or is it one of those games that only exist to be let's played by idiots who yell a lot?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

No Such Thing posted:

I thought it was less "this story is unrealistic" and more "this story has been done before; by the same guy, even."

yet when dark souls does it it's fine

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Lurdiak posted:

So is Spooky's House of Jumpscare an actual game for humans to play or is it one of those games that only exist to be let's played by idiots who yell a lot?

It's free and 250mb you should just try it and see

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Nasgate posted:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/12/30/
This kind of explains his literal insanity in regards to the issue.
Caring so little about a game that you make a comic about not caring about it.

That's a pretty funny comic, like most Penny Arcade comics.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm assuming "all the thirteen year olds on my block" means "tumblr."

Undertale probably hits a pretty big PA nerve. It's been clear for ages that they'd rather be children's authors than lovely webcomics writers, but their for-children material never caught on with kids or adults.

So here's something succeeding where they can't, and they can't understand how. They need to see themselves as whimsical imaginative types, but they're bitter establishment nerds. Maybe they can't fool themselves anymore, but they haven't been fooling anyone else for years.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Recent Penny Arcade makes me sad because it's basically been Dad Comics for years and recently a lot of them are about their frustration with their kids having different tastes than them. The dude's self-insert talking about wanting to disown his son's self-insert because he doesn't like the original Star Wars movies is depressing on a lot of levels.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I bought Aviary Attorney and even though I know it's not complete yet, I still love the game to bits. It's heartbreaking to know such a good game is getting hated on because of some PR blunder (not to mention taking it off of Early Access before they should), because what's out is so good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What's the PR blunder, did one of them burn a US flag or something?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lurdiak posted:

What's the PR blunder, did one of them burn a US flag or something?

The game left Early Access but the last case isn't actually finished, so the game just ends.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

They also posted that there'd be a patch soon to put the lost story bit in, but it was supposed to come out on the 29th of December and hasn't come out yet.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

moths posted:

I'm assuming "all the thirteen year olds on my block" means "tumblr."

Undertale probably hits a pretty big PA nerve. It's been clear for ages that they'd rather be children's authors than lovely webcomics writers, but their for-children material never caught on with kids or adults.

So here's something succeeding where they can't, and they can't understand how. They need to see themselves as whimsical imaginative types, but they're bitter establishment nerds. Maybe they can't fool themselves anymore, but they haven't been fooling anyone else for years.

You do realize that one of their children's comic story samples was, like, immediately bought up and is apparently being made into an animated movie? I think it's the single page one about a kid worrying about a new school and it turns out he's moving to a whole new planet.

Also the Automaton noir comic is dope and I'd like to see more.

Sleeveless posted:

Recent Penny Arcade makes me sad because it's basically been Dad Comics for years and recently a lot of them are about their frustration with their kids having different tastes than them. The dude's self-insert talking about wanting to disown his son's self-insert because he doesn't like the original Star Wars movies is depressing on a lot of levels.

While Gabe is something of a crazy person, I think you'll find they may be exaggerating certain things for comedic effect. :ssh:

Like also, did you know that in real life, Tycho does not want to gently caress animals, but in the comic, Tycho wants to gently caress animals! He wants a dragon to give him a handbeezy.

Jokes!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You do realize that one of their children's comic story samples was, like, immediately bought up and is apparently being made into an animated movie? I think it's the single page one about a kid worrying about a new school and it turns out he's moving to a whole new planet.

Also the Automaton noir comic is dope and I'd like to see more.

While Gabe is something of a crazy person, I think you'll find they may be exaggerating certain things for comedic effect. :ssh:

Like also, did you know that in real life, Tycho does not want to gently caress animals, but in the comic, Tycho wants to gently caress animals! He wants a dragon to give him a handbeezy.

Jokes!

shut the fuuuuuuuuuck up

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Why are you trying to defend an ancient video game web comic when there are games to complain about/love right now?

drat you Falcom for making me play a vita again!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
here's a funny exaggeration: i hope gabe and tycho die in a house fire caused by the spark from a faulty walcom tablet and that their last conscious moments are their lungs filling with smoke, unable to gasp a single breath

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Undertale is better than PA, but only a little better.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Their official convention is like, widely recognized and kind of a big deal, which is really weird to think about, considering.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Stux posted:

here's a funny exaggeration: i hope gabe and tycho die in a house fire caused by the spark from a faulty walcom tablet and that their last conscious moments are their lungs filling with smoke, unable to gasp a single breath

you shouldnt wish the irl death on people stux

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Kewpuh posted:

you shouldnt wish the irl death on people stux

i don't, im exaggerating for comic effect kewpuh I thought this was obvious. of course i do not wish that theyd die in an awful way and then be discovered by loved ones.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
much like how one of them makes jokes about having intercourse with animals but doesn't really want to i am making funny jokes about how i would like them to be discovered at the bottom of a lake with their servers tied around their necks despite the fact i obviously do not

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

when you call it an exaggeration it makes it sound like you do want them to die, just not so horrifically.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Stux posted:

much like how one of them makes jokes about having intercourse with animals but doesn't really want to i am making funny jokes about how i would like them to be discovered at the bottom of a lake with their servers tied around their necks despite the fact i obviously do not

lol

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Stux posted:

Amazing. An artificial intelligence coming to understand humor and just coming short of success. You can do it! Just a little further now.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

No Such Thing posted:

when you call it an exaggeration it makes it sound like you do want them to die, just not so horrifically.

just to be clear: despite the clearly funny idea of the creators of a bad webcomic being beheaded and having their heads then roll comically into a room full of friends and family i do not wish they would die in any fashion and am just making funny jokes about the absolute decimation of their physical forms

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Grisly death is a one-way ticket to laugh city

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Grisly death is a one-way ticket to laugh city

It's almost as good as rapist wolves

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

It's almost as good as rapist wolves
No, grizzlies, didn't you read?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Stux posted:

just to be clear: despite the clearly funny idea of the creators of a bad webcomic being beheaded and having their heads then roll comically into a room full of friends and family i do not wish they would die in any fashion and am just making funny jokes about the absolute decimation of their physical forms

...but Gabe said that Undertale is bad... are you defending him? :ohdear:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

What happened to your tooth avatar, Stux?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Holy poo poo, Penny Arcade's art style really did get hideous. The gently caress is Gabe smoking?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

The Grimace posted:

Holy poo poo, Penny Arcade's art style really did get hideous. The gently caress is Gabe smoking?

I think he's been trying to move towards something more abstract and cartoonish, and has been for a couple years.

It doesn't really seem particularly different from his earlier work outside of more exaggerated shapes. Is there something specific he does that draws the ire of the Goonmind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I think he's been trying to move towards something more abstract and cartoonish, and has been for a couple years.

It doesn't really seem particularly different from his earlier work outside of more exaggerated shapes. Is there something specific he does that draws the ire of the Goonmind?

Yes, he is not attempting to draw anime in the style of Steven Universe.

• Locked thread