Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Yeah, apart from the timing it's hilarious that he thinks he can challenge a PM who is hugely popular personally, to a public that probably thinks either nothing of him or what they do think is the "guy who couldn't keep his hands to himself while he was in Hong Kong away from his wife and children".

Whether the public cares about that or not is another thing but it's 110% his issue publicly now and he's trying to act like Bronnie did in Choppergate.

I also love this-

quote:

Mr Eaton, who travelled on to London with Mr Briggs, did not hear from the consular staffer again until November 30, when she was at work. After the staffer texted him, saying she wanted to talk “about Friday night”, he called her immediately.

She told him that Mr Briggs had made an “inappropriate” comment to her while at the bar. “She said that she didn’t want to make a complaint but she wanted him to talk to the minister so he didn’t say it again,’’ a source said.

It is understood the investigator’s report said the consular staffer did not want the matter to go further. Mr Eaton, who declined to comment when contacted yesterday, is believed to have informed the investigator of the substance of the texts but was not asked to provide them for examination.

She should have felt confident to give a complaint, but the poor girl probably thought "what a loving creeper, he really should be careful at this because it could've been a lot worse if I was someone else" and thought she was doing the right thing by not mentioning it. She finally thought a few days later "gently caress this guy, I'm mentioning it but not saying anything else so he at least gets a boot up the arse from his work" but was still afraid to be the 'shrill hysterical woman' so says to keep it quiet, just a heads up that hey the MP is a dick.

It breaks out, she stays quiet, does nothing else.

Commentators- IMPOSSIBLE STANDARDS! SHE HAS THIN SKIN GRRRRR

I feel so sorry for this lady. Hopefully her career is not affected by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

teacup posted:

I feel so sorry for this lady. Hopefully her career is not affected by this.
She may as well have written her resignation letter. Australian culture has an appalling record regarding whistle blowers

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2708686/peter-fox-quits-the-force/

quote:

DETECTIVE Chief Inspector Peter Fox will leave the NSW Police Force at midnight on Thursday – exactly 36 years, seven months and three days after walking in.

He feels vindicated by evidence at last month’s inquiry into police involvement with a Catholic Church child sexual abuse reporting group, and relieved to leave without disciplinary action against him over the November 2012 television interview that led to a royal commission, but ended his career.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The party of superior economic management, of adults.

Warning: might be News Ltd link, idk and cbf looking it up, assume it is based on the font.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/mp-verity-barton-faces-a-coup-from-her-own-party-after-failing-to-pay-a-16k-campain-bill/news-story/7ea9c2e777e78fae4bc1e6e8f32224c3 posted:

BUNGLING Broadwater MP Verity Barton is set to be knifed by her own party – all over a dispute with the LNP over funds the party claims it is owed to help her get elected.

Furious behind-the-scene arguments have spread throughout the party over a $16,000 campaign debt which Ms Barton has refused to pay, despite “massively” going over her budget.

To make matters worse, LNP heavies told the Bulletin they were “outraged” to learn Ms Barton had been “bragging” on Instagram about taking a lavish trip across Europe next week, even though she hasn’t paid “a single cent” towards the bill.

The dispute is the latest in a series of controversies for the serial non-bill paying MP who was forced to release a statement admitting to driving unlicensed in 2012 and 2013 claiming she lost her licence after an “oversight” meant she had not paid road tolls and fines.

It was later revealed there was a third, 11-day suspension from December 6, 2014.

Senior LNP sources say this latest row will move State Electorate Council president Richard Towson or former minister David Crisafulli to seize party endorsement for the seat which Ms Barton has held for two terms.

Ms Barton said the Europe trip was a birthday present from her mother and wiped her hands of responsibility for the campaign debt.

“Well, the LNP and the treasurer within the LNP look after fundraising within the LNP and

there were members of my local campaign team which organised the fundraising, so that’s not really a section that I am across at all, unfortunately,” she said.

“I have always had a hands-off approach when it comes to fundraising.

“I prefer to focus on issues on the ground.

“I have had campaign team members and the LNP help with fundraising instead.

“I didn’t manage the budget or the fundraising part, so I would not be aware what the arrangements were and I have always had a hands-off approach to fundraising.

“The trip that I am about to go on is a gift from my mother for my birthday.

“I am taking a couple of weeks because I haven’t had a holiday in five years.

“We are going to a few different places, including the UK where I was born.”

A senior sitting member on the Gold Coast told the Gold Coast Bulletin Mr Towson, who was now the Broadwater branch president, had the votes to topple Ms Barton, a two-term member.

It is also understood former minister David Crisafulli MP is eyeing off the seat.

Both Mr Crisafulli and Mr Towson declined to comment.

Ms Barton said she would not comment on the looming LNP coup as she was too focused on running her electorate.

“I am focused on doing the best job I possibly can to represent the Broadwater within the community and within the parliament,” she said.

Sitting LNP members on the Coast said Ms Barton’s campaign came into financial difficulty because of a lack of willing donors.

“Verity did not do much in the way of fundraising and ultimately overspent and now the membership has been left to mop up the mess,” one source said.

“She refused to put any cash in and that has blown the mind of the members.”

Another said they had managed to raise more than $100,000 for their electorate and thought it was “pathetic and lazy” of Ms Barton not to take responsibility for her campaign.

“Members are not supposed to spend more than they take in and (Ms Barton) should have known exactly what was being spent and what on,” the MP said.

It is understood LNP bosses became so frustrated with Ms Barton’s campaign debt that the party’s coffers have already paid around half the bill.

Ms Barton is still being chased for the other $8000 but sources say she is resisting the request.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/music/enough-is-enough-mike-baird-calls-for-crackdown-on-music-festivals-over-drugs/story-fni0c60r-1227696059552 posted:

MUSIC festivals will have to clean up or shut up after a series of drug arrests and overdoses marred the notorious Field Day Festival, Premier Mike Baird warned yesterday.

Declaring “enough is enough”, Mr Baird said all festival organisers would be held accountable for “distressing and avoidable” drug-related overdoses after another partygoer came close to dying at the Sydney event.

The 23-year-old woman was rushed to hospital in a critical condition on Friday night after collapsing from a suspected MDMA overdose.

More than 180 people were charged with drug ­offences.

The woman, one of several people who suffered overdoses during the event in The Domain, was released from St Vincent’s Hospital yesterday afternoon following a remarkable recovery.

It follows three drug-related deaths at Sydney music festivals in the past year, including 25-year-old pharmacist Sylvia Choi, who died of an overdose at Stereosonic Music Festival at Olympic Park in November.

Mr Baird said he would call on “relevant ministers” to review the system for issuing permits to organisers of music festivals and demand more extensive screening at entry points.

“Individuals need to take responsibility for their actions, but so do the organisers of these festivals,” he said.

“In the light of this latest distressing and avoidable incident, I will be asking the relevant ministers to review the current system of regulating events held on public land, including the system for granting permits for public events such as music festivals.”

He said festival organisers who did not comply with new requirements would be shut down.

“If new rules and procedures place additional burdens and costs on organisers, so be it — and we will also examine denying permits to organisers who have not done the right thing in the past,” he said.

“Enough is enough. This simply has to stop.”

Police Minister Troy Grant said the government made “no apologies for its strong stance against the use of illegal drugs”.

A Field Day spokeswoman said a number of overdose victims were rushed to the emergency department while more than 200 people were treated by paramedics. Police charged 184 revellers with drug offences, 30 less than last year. Eight of those were charged with drug supply, including two people allegedly found with a large amount of MDMA.

A 26-year-old woman was allegedly found in possession of 100 ecstasy tablets and a 19-year-old man allegedly had 81 ecstasy tablets. Both were granted bail and will appear at Downing Centre Local Court on January 28.

Teenager Georgina Bartter died last year after a reaction to a drug taken at Harbourlife in the Royal Botanical Gardens. In September, Nigel Pauljevic, 26, from Albury, died from an overdose at Defqon dance festival in Penrith.

I don 't even go to any music festivals but gently caress this boring state.
3 deaths in the past year, literally less than 1 in a million in this city, despite the status quo probably leading to worse outcomes than possible.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

Here's another fantastic example I've only just seen on twitter:

That's almost fractally wrong. Not just that they don't get why Briggs got the boot, not just that they want the right to go full idiot on an overseas taxpayer-funded junket, they saw nothing wrong in telling the loving media about it too.
That's been in the public eye since the whole mess started.

What I think is most important about the statement is that LNP members of Parliament think that "Don't sexually assault someone" is an impossible task.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Magog posted:

3 deaths in the past year, literally less than 1 in a million in this city, despite the status quo probably leading to worse outcomes than possible.

The real wtf is that a pharmacist overdid the pingas

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
So Dutton went to send "mad loving witch" about Samantha Maidens Briggs bit to Briggs but sent it to Maiden instead. Dutton is getting lightly smoked on the front page of the tele

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Which progressive/feminist journo/commentators have been writing about Briggs?

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Birb Katter posted:

So Dutton went to send "mad loving witch" about Samantha Maidens Briggs bit to Briggs but sent it to Maiden instead.

This guy genuinely has his suit pants labelled 'front' and 'back' I reckon.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Birb Katter posted:

So Dutton went to send "mad loving witch" about Samantha Maidens Briggs bit to Briggs but sent it to Maiden instead. Dutton is getting lightly smoked on the front page of the tele

this is the man with the final say as to whether refugees are allowed into the country.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Birb Katter posted:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

tithin posted:

I can't wait to play auspol simulator 2016, I hear that they implemented a new shitpost generating algorithm and updated the team rosters.

HELLO

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
So with this new updated roster should I be for or against the absurdly incompetent neocon pricks?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
peter dutton :allears:

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Magog posted:

Isn't it the case that you can't OD on MDMA anyway? It's heat or dehydration that gets you? Do they still stop you taking your own water into festivals?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Birb Katter posted:

Obviously it was that woman journalist's fault for writing the article in the first place.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
For some reason I assumed that Jamie Briggs who was creeping on a female staffer was single. Nope he's married with 3 kids, because of course he is when he's hitting on a 26 year old.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nibbles! posted:

Isn't it the case that you can't OD on MDMA anyway? It's heat or dehydration that gets you? Do they still stop you taking your own water into festivals?

The amount of pure MDMA you need would be crazy high to OD on it, but most pills don't even have Much/any MDMA in them any more so yeah article was likely talking BS. They likely overdosed as they had no idea what was actually in the pills they were taking.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nibbles! posted:

Can be the opposite of dehydration too, where you overcompensate and drink too much water. It's what happened in the Anna Wood case about 20 years ago.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
It's a long bow but how does this affect Turnbulls sky high poll numbers?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

MONA has an Auspol post generator, it is a bit underwhelming.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The gallery?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

The ABC posted:

WA Labor in election-winning position in latest newspoll

Western Australian Premier Colin Barnett's grip on power has slumped just 15 months out from the state election, a poll out today shows.

The Newspoll, published in The Australian newspaper, shows the Labor Party has increased its primary vote from 33 to 42 per cent in the past six months.

Labor now leads the Coalition 53 to 47 per cent on a two-party-preferred basis.

This could give Labor a two-party-preferred swing of 10 per cent, which would allow it to claim 10 seats and form Government.

It is the first time Labor has lead the Coalition since Mr Barnett came to power in 2008.

Veteran political analyst Peter Kennedy said the Coalition had only itself to blame for the slump in the poll.

"One of the problems for the Government has been the deteriorating budget position," he said.

"I think its reputation as an economic manager, or financial manager, is on the line and that's where Labor has been making inroads.

"The good result for Labor sets the battle lines for the rest of the year and Mr Barnett will have the job ahead of him to peg Labor back."

Cabinet reshuffle, financial management key to retaining power

The Government has battled a worsening budget position on the back of a plunging iron ore price.

Mr Barnett has campaigned for the state to secure a greater share of GST revenue in order to fill budgetary black holes.

The Mid Year Economic Financial Outlook released last month projected the Government's deficit would balloon to $3.1 billion by the end of the financial year.

This will eclipse the state budget estimate in May of $2.7 billion.

Mr Kennedy said the only good news for the Government was it still had time before Western Australia went to the polls in March next year.

"Still 15 months out from the next elections, so there's plenty of time for Mr Barnett to turn the ship around," he said.

"Remember he will have a reshuffle of the Cabinet very shortly, and that will be an important opportunity to get his team in place to face the election early next year.

"I think the reshuffle of the Cabinet and also the budgetary position will be crucial in deciding who wins next year."

Labor leader Mark McGowan has also increased his popularity among voters.

He leads Mr Barnett as preferred premier, 41 to 36 per cent.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-04/wa-labor-in-election-winning-position-in-latest-newspoll/7065794

Who could have predicted digging poo poo out of the ground would not lead to gold paved streets!?!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

open24hours posted:

The gallery?

Yeah, it's been there for a while but I only just saw it recently.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah, it's been there for a while but I only just saw it recently.

Never been despite going to Tasmania a few times a year. On the list, but I don't know if I want to explain a bunch of exhibits to four wide eyed children.

I'm told that you can rate exhibits there. The kicker is that the ones down voted actually get moved to more prominent places.

Also, apparently there is a balcony cafe there that serves awesome chips, c/d?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's actually pretty cool. I hope the packaging is longer lasting than Manzoni's.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

Never been despite going to Tasmania a few times a year. On the list, but I don't know if I want to explain a bunch of exhibits to four wide eyed children.

I'm told that you can rate exhibits there. The kicker is that the ones down voted actually get moved to more prominent places.

Also, apparently there is a balcony cafe there that serves awesome chips, c/d?

MONA didn't live up to the hype. I didn't rate any of the pieces, because I didn't realise you could until right at the end. I didn't get chips from the balcony cafe so I can't confirm or deny.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Amoeba102 posted:

MONA didn't live up to the hype. I didn't rate any of the pieces, because I didn't realise you could until right at the end. I didn't get chips from the balcony cafe so I can't confirm or deny.

I liked MONA, but that was because one of the pieces was a trampoline you could jump on that played chime bells when you did and another let you watch short movies on ipad's in a room that was carpeted in what appeared to be some extraneous muppets. Also, I went to the bar and had the wine tasting from the onsite winery.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Troubled electronics retailer Dick Smith has placed its shares in a trading halt ahead of an expected announcement about its debt financing.

The company expects to make an announcement about its funding position and debt financing covenants by Wednesday.

Dick Smith shares have plunged in recent months after it issued two profit warnings following disappointing sales in October and November.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
This might have been posted here before, but this article on the shady stuff that went on after Woolworths sold Dick Smith is really interesting.

https://foragerfunds.com/bristlemouth/dick-smith-is-the-greatest-private-equity-heist-of-all-time/

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

DSE is basically hosed unless the old man himself buys it back.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

We're basically weeks away from JB HiFi and Harvey Norman being the only big consumer electronics retailers left?

I mean Brisbane only has Todd's HiFi and the occasional mom and pop computer shack. WoW sight and sound disappeared off the face of the earth.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's always Tandy electronics. :v:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Nibbles! posted:

MDMA is similar to illegal opiates in that almost all the fatalities are caused by contamination, unknown ingredients or unknown dosage. The fact is that the majority of the health problems are caused by prohibition and this is why many countries actually provide opiate addicts with pharmaceutical heroin, methadone, buprenorphine, etc. It's hard to think of much justification for the banning of MDMA or opiates. I don't know what approach to use with things that are very measurably neurotoxic like meth though.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
DSE used to sell stuff to make cool stuff.

Now they just sell poo poo to the ignorant consumer fooled by their '80s credibility.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Tandy and DSE are owned by the same group. If DSE goes down, so does Tandy.

"Tandy stores have been converted to Dick Smith stores and the tandy.com.au website has been closed down ending the Tandy era in Australia. Some 'Tandy' branded products are still sold in Dick Smith stores, however."

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Anidav posted:

Troubled electronics retailer Dick Smith has placed its shares in a trading halt ahead of an expected announcement about its debt financing.

The company expects to make an announcement about its funding position and debt financing covenants by Wednesday.

Dick Smith shares have plunged in recent months after it issued two profit warnings following disappointing sales in October and November.

Sorry to be of trouble but can I get a source on this? I would like to know more.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

We're basically weeks away from JB HiFi and Harvey Norman being the only big consumer electronics retailers left?

I mean Brisbane only has Todd's HiFi and the occasional mom and pop computer shack. WoW sight and sound disappeared off the face of the earth.

Good Guys do electronics as well as whitegoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I just copied it from the Fairfax article.

• Locked thread