Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Recoome posted:

I mean we could go back a few years and be like "Hmm, women don't deserve rights or a vote, it's scientifically proven that they have smaller brains" or "heh, black people are objectively biologically inferior to us, as well as being less cultured". The only thing that's changed is a few words

Go back a few years? The person who buys those avatars literally thinks that in this day and age, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Debate & Discussion: You Are Racist › Auspol January:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Just a friendly tip, don't use this phrasing next time, drop the a or change it to transgender person. Transgender is often seen as offensive when it's used as a noun rather than an adjective.

It was written in a fit of rage and that wasn't the way I originally wrote it, soz

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

A fitting description of australia

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Ok now I'm confused by the Greens Mayor Candidate. The ALP and the Libs have both come out with some rail projects that will take cars off the road and in theory decrease congestion. The Greens are proposing more buses which will fill the CBD up with even more buses that stop at every stop.

You've lost me here, Greens. Trains are better than buses 9 times out of 10. A weird policy choice.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

Ok now I'm confused by the Greens Mayor Candidate. The ALP and the Libs have both come out with some rail projects that will take cars off the road and in theory decrease congestion. The Greens are proposing more buses which will fill the CBD up with even more buses that stop at every stop.

You've lost me here, Greens. Trains are better than buses 9 times out of 10. A weird policy choice.

Does the Brisbane mayor have any power at all to get rail projects built?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I believe the mayor has the power to draft proposals to be sent to the state government for funding. But buses are state controlled too so Queensland Greens :shrug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What if you were allowed to put christmas decorations on the bus?

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Anidav posted:

New buses are cheaper and available sooner than new trains?

Well, The answer is to have the buses run while the trainline is built.

ssmagus fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 31, 2016

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

N

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

O

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
This isn't auspol but I'm sure it'll be of interest to a few, Bank of Japan has removed 0 lower bound on interest rates. http://www.businessinsider.com.au/detusche-bank-on-boj-rate-cut-2016-1

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Birb Katter posted:

This isn't auspol but I'm sure it'll be of interest to a few, Bank of Japan has removed 0 lower bound on interest rates. http://www.businessinsider.com.au/detusche-bank-on-boj-rate-cut-2016-1

That is interesting. Looks like the US shat itself the instant the interest rates were raised above zero and everywhere else seems to be lurching from minor crisis to minor crisis, it just seems like businesses don't feel like they're able to get enough cash without almost free loans. Throw in a Trump presidency and we could be in for an interesting year.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

gay picnic defence posted:

That is interesting. Looks like the US shat itself the instant the interest rates were raised above zero and everywhere else seems to be lurching from minor crisis to minor crisis, it just seems like businesses don't feel like they're able to get enough cash without almost free loans. Throw in a Trump presidency and we could be in for an interesting year.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Trump is the circuit breaker we need.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ssmagus posted:

New buses are cheaper and available sooner than new trains?

Well, The answer is to have the buses run while the trainline is built.

Look that's perfectly fine as a solution. Brisbane needs trainlines. Period but the Greens plan is just more buses. It's rather strange.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I refuse to believe that trump will win the general election assuming the republicans are dumb enough to give him the nomination.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Anidav posted:

Look that's perfectly fine as a solution. Brisbane needs trainlines. Period but the Greens plan is just more buses. It's rather strange.

Are busses that happen better or worse than trains that don't? Sounds like the train solution is what they call in the advertising industry as a 'puff', an exaggerated claim to make things sound good but that only an idiot would actually believe.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Becoming a pragmatic rather than an idealistic party will be the death of the Greens. Might as well vote Labor.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Brisbane needs either a trainline or set of busroutes going from the Wynnum area to the Beenleigh area in a timely fashion so I can stop driving to work everyday and catch public transport like a sane person.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Was just at a press conference with Bill Shorten, Brendan O Connor, and Lisa, the member for Bendigo at the Treasury in Melbourne. Announcing new policies for industrial relations regarding underpayment of workers. I was there as they wanted footage of Bill conversing with workers who'd been underpaid. Think some of it may have played live on ABC or Sky or will air later. An article about the policy is already up on The Guardian

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

norp posted:

I refuse to believe that trump will win the general election assuming the republicans are dumb enough to give him the nomination.

Trump's only winning in opinion polls against other Republican candidates. He loses pretty resoundingly in comparisons against Hilary or Bernie.

I doubt Trump's going to get the nomination, though. Much as he might poll well among the voter base, the party would prefer someone more moderate-seeming than the shouty angry outright racist.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Melbourne just can't stand playing second fiddle to Sydney can it. Such middle child syndrome you guys have down there

#theireABC posted:

House prices: Melbourne real estate price growth overtakes Sydney

Melbourne property prices have passed Sydney as the nation's fastest growing, although they still lagged well behind in terms of absolute cost.

The latest CoreLogic RP Data figures for January show that Melbourne property prices grew 2.5 per cent in January, compared to Sydney's 0.5 per cent rise.

That has now pushed Melbourne to the fastest year-on-year property price appreciation of 11 per cent, passing Sydney where dwelling price growth has slowed to its lowest annual pace in 29 months at 10.5 per cent.

"We've been seeing Sydney consistently drifting lower since about July last year, when values were rising at about 18 per cent per annum," CoreLogic RP Data's research director Tim Lawless said.

"Melbourne has also slowed down, but not quite as much ... we can see that in a whole bunch of other indicators as well, auction clearance rates for example in Melbourne were consistently higher than what Sydney was over the second half of the year."

While the year-on-year price rises for Sydney and Melbourne were still a long way ahead of all other capitals, a 2.8 per cent January jump for Canberra pushed it to 6 per cent annual growth, and Hobart's 4.7 per cent surge last month saw it post a 2.3 per cent annual rise.

Brisbane and Adelaide posted modest annual growth, while the resource-focused cities of Perth and Darwin saw both monthly and annual price declines.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Birb Katter posted:

Are busses that happen better or worse than trains that don't? Sounds like the train solution is what they call in the advertising industry as a 'puff', an exaggerated claim to make things sound good but that only an idiot would actually believe.

Brisbane itself is too small of a city, as in the roads are narrow as gently caress that buses cause a rather unique kind of congestion as inner Brisbane is full of one lane, one way's that buses take stops on. More of those won't help congestion. Trains will, even if it's a pie in the sky concept now, it'll be brought down to reality later and involve something to do with trains or even trams.

I don't think Brisbane has had any train network upgrades in ages unless you could the Gold Coast light rail.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Look at the poo poo they pull when it's voluntary voting.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cleretic posted:

Trump's only winning in opinion polls against other Republican candidates. He loses pretty resoundingly in comparisons against Hilary or Bernie.

I doubt Trump's going to get the nomination, though. Much as he might poll well among the voter base, the party would prefer someone more moderate-seeming than the shouty angry outright racist.

Do the party get much choice in the matter?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anidav posted:

Brisbane itself is too small of a city, as in the roads are narrow as gently caress that buses cause a rather unique kind of congestion as inner Brisbane is full of one lane, one way's that buses take stops on. More of those won't help congestion. Trains will, even if it's a pie in the sky concept now, it'll be brought down to reality later and involve something to do with trains or even trams.

I don't think Brisbane has had any train network upgrades in ages unless you could the Gold Coast light rail.

Congestion is caused by cars, not buses.

Two questions: how much will it cost, when will it be done? Anything less and it's not going to happen. It's impossible to do costed policy writing on that scale simply because they don't let you see the books. Every greens policy has been costed because it's working out of the $650mil ksd upgrade.

Brisbane will eventually be big enough to need light rail, yes. But while that plan is being developed, there are still many massive improvements to be made to the public transport system. Free off peak travel for pensioners; half price for the unemployed; fast track the bus stop upgrade to one year from the original three, and so on. Neither of the old parties are seriously talking about getting people out of congestion and into public transport and a shiny new monorail in the cbd ~sometime in the future maybe~ isn't helping us out in the suburbs.

How much will it cost? Will fare price increase further as a result of the monorail? How will this reduce congestion in the suburbs? Will I be able to travel east-west or will I still have to go into the city and then out again just to get two suburbs over?

Also queensland rail is a state issue mate. What we need at a local level is for council transport to connect to the state travel infrastructure.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Brisbane is and always has been big enough for light rail.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trams_in_Brisbane

People who advocate for buses instead of trains might as well be advocating for Soviet style tower blocks. They're cheap and they sustain all the basic functions of human life, what more could you ask for?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

As it stands, on paper Rod Harding's plan is much better than either. But I don't know if any of them would deliver but it's better than no ideas at all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:ironicat: Bishop's calling for Abbott to go.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

SynthOrange posted:

That being BBish? That's loving rich coming from her.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SynthOrange posted:

ABC News says it's Vanstone telling Abbott to go, and has also suggested that Bronwyn Bishop and Phil Ruddock leave as well

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh sorry, yeah it was Vanstone. My bad!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

open24hours posted:

Brisbane is and always has been big enough for light rail.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trams_in_Brisbane

People who advocate for buses instead of trains might as well be advocating for Soviet style tower blocks. They're cheap and they sustain all the basic functions of human life, what more could you ask for?
The British (and some places in the US)were probably worse than the Soviets when it comes to tower blocks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_block

Their main modern proponent was, arguably, French (Le Corbusier's).

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Ironically, the ones Corbusier himself designed are actually quite nice. There's a replica apartment at the Cité de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine in Paris that's worth a visit.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anidav posted:

As it stands, on paper Rod Harding's plan is much better than either. But I don't know if any of them would deliver but it's better than no ideas at all.

Sorry what is rod hardings plan again? Promise to look in to the possibility of light rail? Well duh everyone with half a brain in town planning is already doing that. Do we need a press release every time they finally catch on to the obvious? Call me when he is more than just an ideas man.

http://itsyourbrisbane.com/commitments/cost-shock-to-bust-congestion/

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Is it a derail to talk about what Labor said this morning? It seems quite good on the face of it but is it a trick, or will it just be a toothless vote grab that disappears if/when they get elected?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Labor won't do poo poo and if they actually cared about workers being exploited they would have done something about it when they were in government.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

open24hours posted:

Labor won't do poo poo and if they actually cared about workers being exploited they would have done something about it when they were in government.

But they were getting nasty ads from the mining industry... have you no respect for the optics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THE 'LICENSE TO PUNT' ADS?

• Locked thread