Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
For some reason I assumed that Jamie Briggs who was creeping on a female staffer was single. Nope he's married with 3 kids, because of course he is when he's hitting on a 26 year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

gay picnic defence posted:

Wow. Just goes to show you should do a bit of research before buying shares. are almost exclusively a means of redistributing wealth from the middle class to the ultra rich.

FTFY.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Otherwise profitable store ruined by investment shenanigans. Free market working as intended?

Also I'll take that thousand. I don't want to do the next 999 prime ministers. I just want to be really really sure of one.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

This is loving amazing. :drat:

Edit: Seriously :perfect:

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 5, 2016

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
National Broadband Hitler

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, we should drag these people out of bed in the middle of the night and shoot them dead in the street

I think you'll find people might be concerned you're setting an impossibly high standard.

I'm not sure anyone would mind if we splattered cat-hat's brains on the pavement though.

EDIT:

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 6, 2016

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

The Ironic War Criminal tactic.

For someone who thinks the government shouldn't interfere with our glorious right to do whatever, how exactly does he propose we in Australia fix FGM?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Funnily enough I can't find any record of him talking about FGM previously.

Surely not! Surely FGM has been something he's held a deep, long abiding concern about and isn't something he trotted out in bad faith to shut down a valid argument!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Women are people and should be treated as such" isn't that really hard of a concept.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

I dont approach women because Im in a relationship.

Theres numerous examples of the roles being reversed and no one batting an eye.

You realise that "unacceptable behavior is suddenly ok when women do it to men" is due to assumed gender roles and a result of our lovely sexist society?

EDIT: Smashing the patriarchy helps both women and men! :eng101:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

if his comments were off camera, would this still be the same problem?

What are your thoughts on the matter? Please provide the cases for both the yes and no sides of the argument. This will be a good critical thinking exercise.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

3. Men and women have broadly different methods of romantically propositioning the opposite sex.

Power disbalances between sexes create a situation in where men feel free to me more sexually aggressive towards women.

Unless you're arguing :biotruths:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

What do you do with nuclear waste?

That's part of the discussion about pro/con of nuclear power.

I agree that it a mistake to dismiss nuclear power out of hand and I think the greens need to move to more reasoned position on it and GM rather than holding onto NUKE BAD GM BAD, lest they walk the same ideology over facts path as Labor and Libs.

EDIT: I do think nuclear power is probably not the best decision for Australia right now. We probably should have gone nuclear in the 80's and now be replacing it with renewables but lol coal.

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 7, 2016

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

As I recall, Ludlam went over the reasons the Greens aren't pro-nuclear last year, and it was something along the lines of 'it's better than what we do have now, but it's not better than what we could have now'.

Oh yeah, I very thoroughly read that, and I personally have been against nuclear power for quite a while but it's good to see the greens (and green parties in general) being more "we're against nuclear power/gm because *reasons*" rather than "No nukes".

For example anyone lobbying to shut down or not replace the lucas heights reactor is an idiot because it is a vital and necessary supplier of short half life radio-medical treatment and diagnostic items.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Disappointed it didn't read "hydroponic bong" :weed:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Being above the law sounds fun.

Only about the laws of poors living on poo poo island.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

My recollection is that it was like a wasp sting that lasts longer. Bluebottles wasn't that bad.

Slightly less painful but longer lasting wasp stings (usually 8-10 in a line) is my experience of them as well.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Think of the people running our energy industries right now and now think about them running nuclear.

"God it's so hard to deal with all this peak load, we have to charge a huge tariff on energy usage while it's happening"

*raises rods 0.2 cm*

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EXAKT Science posted:

Hamburgers are sandwiches you loving troglodyte

The most Auspol post.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EXAKT Science posted:

Eat the rich

But only in small quantities, they're very rich.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mad Katter posted:

Okonomiyaki sauce and kewpie mayonnaise is amazing good on a sausage in bread.

You'll feel like the fattest pig afterwards though.

I have no idea what either of those are.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Graic Gabtar posted:

I didn't say it was! A vegetarian pizza usually has the best imaginative ingredients not stodgy or by the numbers.

Ham just makes it awesome.

It's like going to Gopal's on Swanston St in Melbourne and being able to take in a nicely cooked eye fillet.

Goats Cheese Vegetarian Pizza with Lamb is the best you pleb.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

Auspol is an rear end sandwich

I think you mean "rear end sizzle" or "democracy rear end"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

rear end - A kind of four legged beast. Jesus' mum rode one apparently.
Arse - The bit where the poo comes out. The bit we rode on Jesus' mum.

Let's at least pretend we aren't in the US already.

:thejoke:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

*puts hand across heart* I pledge allegiance to the Flag of Australia, and to the Commonwealth for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

We the People decide how we spell things here, champ

Stop undermining my joke about cheap sausages being full of donkey meat.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Slow News Day.

What's the 13% Liberals? "Throw Bill Snorin into the sea"?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Simplest answer, kill sports

Preferably while they sleep in their barracks.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Up next in news that surprises nobody:

Guardian Au posted:

TPP trade deal will expand Australia's economy by less than 1%, World Bank reveals
Government continues to trumpet Trans-Pacific Partnership’s ‘enormous benefits’ despite analysis showing Australia’s growth will be worse than 11 of the other 12 countries in the deal

The federal government maintains the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement will deliver “enormous benefits”, despite World Bank analysis showing Australia’s economy will grow by less than 1% as a result of the deal.

Australia’s increased growth is projected to be worse than 11 of the other 12 countries that signed the deal last year, according to the report on the global implications of the deal. Only the US fares worse.

By 2030, Australia’s gross domestic product could increase by just 0.7% as a result of the historic trade agreement. By contrast, Vietnam’s GDP could rise by 10%, and Malaysia’s by 8%, the World Bank finds.

The analysis concedes that the impact for developed nations like Australia and the US will be “modest” because “existing barriers to their trade ... are already low for the most traded commodities”.

“If ratified by all, the agreement could raise GDP in member countries by an average of 1.1% by 2030. It could also increase member countries’ trade by 11% by 2030, and represent a boost to regional trade growth,” the analysis said.

The trade minister, Andrew Robb, has defended the agreement, which has been described as one of the largest and most diverse trade deals in history.

“The historic Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement will deliver enormous benefits to Australia by enhancing our competitiveness, and promoting job creation, growth and higher living standards,” a spokeswoman for Robb told Guardian Australia.

“As well as slashing tariff barriers, it will drive Australia’s integration in the fast-growing Asia Pacific, and improve access to regional value chains by establishing one set of trading rules across 12 countries.

“The World Bank report demonstrates that all 12 TPP member countries – representing around 40% of global GDP – will experience economic growth and increased exports under the agreement.”

The Greens spokesman for trade, Peter Whish-Wilson, said the World Bank report was “evidence that the highly politicised TPP agreement will not deliver anything like the government’s overhyped spin”.

“Its economic impact will be negligible,” he said. “This latest World Bank analysis simply backs up all the evidence that has previously been presented regarding the lack of benefits to Australia.

“Andrew Robb has his head in the sand and no amount of credible evidence presented is going to shift him from his spin.”

Whish-Wilson argued the cost of controversial clauses which allowed multinational corporations to sue governments if they thought domestic laws harmed their investments had not been taken into account by the government.

The government is “in total denial about the future costs to Australia of Trojan horse investor-state dispute settlement provisions,” Whish-Wilson said.

Labor has vowed to examine the agreement.

“The trans-Pacific partnership is a major agreement involving some of Australia’s most important trading partners. Labor supports trade negotiations that promote growth and create jobs,” Labor’s acting spokesman on trade, Jim Chalmers, told Guardian Australia.

“The World Bank also notes that the agreement could be an important counterweight to the post-GFC global trade slowdown. Analysis by the World Bank and others will be considered by Labor as we consider the agreement.”

The 6,000-page deal was put online in October, but had previously been criticised for its secrecy. The wide-ranging deal includes changes to tariffs, drug patents and intellectual property.

The 12 countries to sign the deal are: Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, US and Vietnam.

Global economic giant China was excluded from the deal, as was South Korea.

Labor you're as worthless as the loving National Party.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

US uses post WW2 cultural imperialism to gently caress over Asian nations + Australia.

Business uses politics being compromised by capital to push rich nations to create exploitation opportunities in poor nations at the expense of the very rich nations which they are puppeting.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

In order to institute this we would actually have to be letting them into the country.

Well actually I guess we wouldn't, but confiscating valuables while throwing people in camps is probably too Nazi Germany at this stage. Watch out for it in 2017 after Malcolm's landslide election victory and sweeping mandate!

If recent history has taught us anything there's nothing that's "too Nazi Germany".

EDIT: Literal Nazi's turn up at UPF rally, Politicians: No, no you see, they aren't representative of the rest of us because *farts*

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

The clause about seeking asylum in the first country you get to is something clung to by Australian right-wingers who are furious that asylum seekers don't stay put in Pakistan or Indonesia or whatever lovely poverty-stricken hellhole they end up in. If Australia bordered Afghanistan or Sri Lanka and we really were the first country many refugees arrived in, somehow I don't think you'd hear about it so much. It's a legitimate-sounding front (much like "concern for your safety at sea") to mask the base desire; it's not the founding doctrine of the convention.

So to return to the current situation: do you really think that it's the best situation for any of the three parties involved, including Germany, for millions of refugees to be permanently settled in Greece? And bear in mind that economic considerations aside, Germany has eight times the population of Greece.

I'm pretty sure the clause about first country doesn't actually exist. From when I read the convention a few years ago I don't remember finding any mention of it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

You may remember a long while back I posted this article about the private equity firm who pumped and dumped dick smith's profit prospectus to make a fortune from naive investors: https://newmatilda.com/2016/01/14/one-of-the-brains-behind-the-dick-smith-windfall-just-got-appointed-to-the-reserve-bank/

Well, the guy behnind that heist has just been appointed to the Reserve Bank. Plutocracy is cool

https://newmatilda.com/2016/01/14/one-of-the-brains-behind-the-dick-smith-windfall-just-got-appointed-to-the-reserve-bank/

Wow... holy gently caress.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Counterpoint: nothing ever changes and Anime David will probably die alone with his hentais

Countercounterpoint: Anime David is probably a more successful person than most goons in this thread.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

I have a job and I work in Brisbane, AMA

If you have money why haven't you left Brisbane?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Trick Question: Is your boss a huge racist?

EDIT: If you answer no it means both you and your boss are huge racists! :eng101:

hooman fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 14, 2016

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

my torso hurts

That's your soul making its escape, discomfort should ease in a few minutes. Liberal party membership form is already in the mail.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birb Katter posted:

There is a lot of piss taken in here. Anidav is doing fine, he's just in the transition phase of moving rental places which is always poo poo. Orkin is my sex slave and anything I say to him he deserves. Brown isn't even a colour so Blitzkrieg Of Colour is a lie. Loads of us know each other irl at least semi professionally or at least well enough from various threads and chatrooms that we're OK with taking the piss out of each other. The only person we really hate is willus and neither he or his chin read this thread so it doesn't matter.

Don't say his name, he might turn to look and kill us all!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

so a factual retelling of the settlement of Australia is banned?

That's disingenuous as poo poo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

He had a tv show?

Not really, he just sweatily stammered in front of a camera.

EDIT: To be fair to those chiropractors their treatment is just as effective at curing asthma as it is for anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's a huge tennis match-fixing scandal, which is the most interesting that has ever happened in the sport.

How the gently caress is buzzfeed becoming a more respectable journalistic outlet that the majority of Australian media. This is their second big scoop in the last 6 months

• Locked thread