Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Well he hasn't mentioned it in a few months. Maybe due to November lol.

I was thinking of playing around and buying a small amount of iinet shares but they got bought up by TPG last I heard.

Dog your research on tls before you buy anything. They sure as poo poo aren't going broke anytime soon, and pay good consistent dividends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EXAKT Science posted:

The out of hand dismissal of nuclear power is one of the most idiotic positions of leftist parties the world over.

I actually conversed with Scott Ludlam about this, and he convinced me that nuclear power is not right for Australia. It's not needed, it will take too long, the risks are too high compared to other generation methods and as long as there is humans in control of the systems, there will always be a giant glaring weak spot.

That's not to say it's not right for other nations, but it's not right for Australia.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

In news that I swear isn't from the onion, Abbott tells turnbull to keep promises

http://www.afr.com/news/tony-abbott-calls-for-malcolm-turnbull-to-lay-out-budget-repair-plan-20160105-gm027k

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Count Chocula posted:

Nuclear has been proven safe in 99% of cases, and it's clean and efficient energy that will actually address climate change.

All of this is true, and yet its still not a good choice for Australia.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ewe2 posted:

And we don't have the money to float us over a collapse this time. Thanks Abbott & co.

I dont know if you understand this, but the government can literally create money. They issue bonds with a set maturity date, and people buy them. People love to buy them because they are a very low risk investment with very precise details. You know exactly what you are going to get and when. Also, Australia has a higher interest rate than most other major economies (Thanks Wayne Swan) so overseas buyers love them, because they can park their money here and get ~2%, or they can park their money in america and get 3/5s of gently caress all.

The only thing that matters is the interest rate they need to attach to the bonds, but thanks to the GFC, interest rates are at an all time low, so there has literally never been a better time for the government to do this.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

I'm not sure our current government would do that though, too many surplus fetishists in the ranks and the ALP would shout at them despite it being a sensible thing to do.

Well, of course not, but thats a completely separate issue to not having money.

ewe2 posted:

I know about bonds, I just doubt that this bunch of screeches is going to go that way when it's much more tempting to make a Darwinian contest out of it.

Again, of course they wont.

quote:

. I also don't believe that bonds are a magic pudding. It's a great way to park money, though. You're betting that enough people want to do this so we can avoid a China meltdown, I don't buy that.

I think you are truly underestimating the amount of money that is floating around looking for a good low risk investment. Its not just Australian money, Its global money. Besides, we wouldnt need massive amounts to get us out of the poo poo. The government could pay for us to go completely renewable in 20 years. That would be a massive construction and engineering exercise that would employ an absolute shitload of people, all up and down the qualified spectrum, and would end up paying for itself in both an economical and an environmental sense. It wont happen though, because the current mob believe that governments cant create jobs and that the private sector can do it, despite all evidence to the contrary.

quote:

What I think will happen is that the banks will scream blue murder, the government will throw money at them and excuses at us and chop large swathes out of their budget instead.
This is what is likely to happen if neoliberals are in charge.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ewe2 posted:

I'm not underestimating it, I just don't think it will be spent in a useful way, which makes it a useless mechanism. The money will go, as Cartoon suggests, to mates in the mining and financial industries for the promise of a board seat and a consulting retainer, it's never going to be used for the good of the country.

What do you mean "if"? Where have you been, under a rock, they're running it now. Their little mates in the IPA and funnier places like catallaxy have been screaming anti-Keynesian economics for years. Turnbull managed to put a halfway sane public servant in the Treasury again but that's no comfort to the public sector.

Understand that Im taking a hypothetically possible stance, not a likely outcome stance.

Its hypothetically possible that the greens win in a landslide and public opinion turns round and these good outcomes can happen. Its not likely though.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Which hurts and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

How apt.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

Bit disappointing, Bunnings has absolutely awful wood, and I've always found Masters to be a pretty good place with genuine customer service (as in, people who know wtf they are talking about in their sections.

Don't make me jigsaw lovely Bunnings ply :(

There must be other lumber yards around. Bunnings wood really is awful.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Recoome posted:

AusPost

Greyhound Racing Victoria

why do a lot of these need it?

They dont, but now they dont need to bother with a warrant, they might as well.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

It's all about sweet potato mash these days.

Ftfy

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

I asked a pretty simple question to get a rise. you just behave like a oval office. Theres a difference.

Your question was pretty transparently bullshit, laden with innuendo about how Stan Grant is only partially indigenous, and therefore is just cashing in on this situation.

Then you follow it up with some noice gender based slurs, that you know are frowned on in here.

I hate that you made me think amethyst is the reasonable one in this situation.

Fix your poo poo up.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

If this is how people in this thread engage with other people when discussing politics it is no wonder that people wont listen to them.

No, its how I engage with people who ask pathetic poo poo questions.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

At work and am sharing an office with an ex labor member. He just said something about federal labor that will make people in here cheer?

Biff Snortin has taken his right wing compatriots and hosed off to start their own party?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

Albo sucks.

Still voted to lock up innocent people in tropical hell holes. Still voted against a federal icac. Still voted in lockstep with the Libs on terrorism laws. Still is actively supporting a bad party.

We complain about Turnbull putting a more palatable face on the same old lib policies, and I see nothing to show that Albo would be any different.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Yeah, they'll do that. Also, you pretty much need to apply for 20 jobs a day to get anywhere. I was looking for work a few months back after a contract ended and got a fair bit of radio silence whenever I applied for jobs where the application process used one of those time-wasting online forms run by Talent2, Taleo, Revelian, Brassring etc. Then I tried putting job ads through a wordcloud generator and shoehorned the biggest words from the wordcloud into my resume and the online forms and suddenly most places called me back and I got offered 3 jobs in one week. If you can get past the automated filter that prevents 90% of resumes from ever being seen by human eyes, then you're suddenly only competing against 15-20 people instead of probably hundreds.

Having issues with this, can you walk me through what you did, maybe in a PM or something please.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cartoon posted:

This is AusPol if you aren't posting at obvious 'lost the plot' angry levels you clearly don't care enough and shouldn't be sullying our pristine thread with your milquetoast postings. Hmmmm toast.

Is anyone angry enough to tell me what Jay Weathrill's story is? On the one hand he is white anting Labour. On the other he is white anting Labour.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-29/jay-weatherill-budget-swipe-labor-and-liberals/7123330?section=sa

As far as I can tell, he is a member of the ALP, which has a rich history of white anting itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Debate & Discussion: You Are Racist › Auspol January:

• Locked thread