Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I heard about the WA solarium ban the other day and was gobsmacked. Why the gently caress would anybody anywhere in WA ever need a solarium in the first loving place, it's one of the sunniest places on earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I for one thing hot cross buns are rad and would be happy to see them all year. Ditto easter eggs

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

There is just no way the majority of the party is going to vote Abbott back in as leader in this term of government. Even if Turnbull got drunk on Anzac Day and took a piss on a war memorial it would be Morrison.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

You get to keep your family photos, your wedding band and up to $2000, the rest will be confiscated. I can't even begin to comprehend how disgusting this is and await the LNP instituting it forthwith.

In order to institute this we would actually have to be letting them into the country.

Well actually I guess we wouldn't, but confiscating valuables while throwing people in camps is probably too Nazi Germany at this stage. Watch out for it in 2017 after Malcolm's landslide election victory and sweeping mandate!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

I'm not 100% but could these people be deported back to Greece? You are supposed to seek asylum in the first country you enter I'm pretty sure.

This is correct, but you may have noticed that Greece has been having economic issues of its own of late, and Europe is at least nominally involved in a semi-federalist union where states are supposed to help each other out.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

I've noticed, but are you going to argue that we should squib on the 1951 refugee convention?

Human rights lawyers in Australia go to war on dotted i's and crossed t's for a few hundred asylum seekers.

However, for a million people you want to pick and choose articles in the convention if its convenient? You can't have it both ways. That could easily be conceived as hypocritical.

If there was a semi-federalist union it should be upholding the convention by supporting Greece and processing asylum seekers in situ. Otherwise people could easily argue that the spirit of the convention has been pretty well hosed by people bolting for the German welfare state over asylum.

The clause about seeking asylum in the first country you get to is something clung to by Australian right-wingers who are furious that asylum seekers don't stay put in Pakistan or Indonesia or whatever lovely poverty-stricken hellhole they end up in. If Australia bordered Afghanistan or Sri Lanka and we really were the first country many refugees arrived in, somehow I don't think you'd hear about it so much. It's a legitimate-sounding front (much like "concern for your safety at sea") to mask the base desire; it's not the founding doctrine of the convention.

So to return to the current situation: do you really think that it's the best situation for any of the three parties involved, including Germany, for millions of refugees to be permanently settled in Greece? And bear in mind that economic considerations aside, Germany has eight times the population of Greece.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

PUA/MRA guys are obviously useless assholes but I can't really say I like the emerging trend of cancelling visas for political reasons.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Re: visa cancelling, it's political to me because they haven't actually committed any crime per se, and it reminds me of students protesting against universities allowing certain speakers; I'd rather see the shithead speaker show up and then have a protest.

And this is how it always starts: with somebody we can all agree about. Not a single reasonable person would argue that a PUA/MRA dude has worthwhile opinions. It starts with the people who are widely despised, and then it inches its way along and soon you'll see Dutton cancelling the visas of, for example, somebody who works for Save the Children or Amnesty International and has dastardly plans to disrupt our border protection policies.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Help me, Auspol: I'm moving to my own place with no housemates and a real lease for the first time like an adult and I've realised I have to hook up all my own utilities.

What's Australia's least-bad internet service provider?

I got a quote from Telstra for $75 a month for 100 gigs and the iinet website says I can have 1000 gigs for $70, what, that doesn't even begin to make sense, what's going on

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Look like TPG may be a goer, thanks guys

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anidav posted:

TPG is poo poo and if they get a bigger foothold it means darker days for Australian internet, they're starting to build their own NBN for apartments but once that rolls out they can charge whatever the gently caress they want.

Unfortunately moving into my own place means I will now be too poor to make ethical considerations when purchasing goods and services

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'll be in St Kilda so no NBN apparently. Also I'm realising I'm less of a techie nerd than a lot of you because I have no idea what cable or ADSL or line rental or any of that stuff means

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Smegmatron posted:

He's inciting violence, which is and always has been unlawful speech, even in the US.

Then let him come here and arrest him when he does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I don't think I want to go with telstra though, they charge $75 for 100 gigs a month

• Locked thread