Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

freebooter posted:

I for one thing hot cross buns are rad and would be happy to see them all year. Ditto easter eggs

Yeah, if this is how an eternal holiday season manifests I'm okay with it. Better than Christmas music in October, but that's not hard since Christmas music universally sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

ewe2 posted:

Not just that but arses like dogfucker and Uhlmann whine about losing Briggsy, someone who was "at least interesting". More interesting to them than his victims.

Here's the funny thing about that: was he, really? Before this happened, was he a blip on anybody's radar, did anybody give a poo poo?

We're not losing 'a character', we're losing a footnote, and the fact the best they can say is that he was 'interesting' when he wasn't even someone like Bernardi is hilariously damning.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
You know, if anyone should be held to be politically correct, it probably should be politicians.

But since we clearly don't hold them to be factually correct either, whatever.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Laserface posted:

Basically never ever approach a woman ever. Especially if you're a male.

~Equality~

If you've misunderstood the concepts in play this much, it's probably a good idea for you to take your misinterpretation as advice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

hooman posted:

That's part of the discussion about pro/con of nuclear power.

I agree that it a mistake to dismiss nuclear power out of hand and I think the greens need to move to more reasoned position on it and GM rather than holding onto NUKE BAD GM BAD, lest they walk the same ideology over facts path as Labor and Libs.

EDIT: I do think nuclear power is probably not the best decision for Australia right now. We probably should have gone nuclear in the 80's and now be replacing it with renewables but lol coal.

As I recall, Ludlam went over the reasons the Greens aren't pro-nuclear last year, and it was something along the lines of 'it's better than what we do have now, but it's not better than what we could have now'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Anidav posted:

Being above the law sounds fun.

It almost makes me wish I was a horrible person, it sounds like being a monster has great job security.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Bill Shorten is such an empty sack-shaped non-person he won't even take a stance on which lettuce he prefers.

Yeah, while it's certainly not the left's fault that they don't get listened to, that is not helping. At least the UK has Corbyn, and Sanders has an audience of some kind in the States.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So the ABC was pressuring a journo into not writing about the NBN?

An American friend of mine heard about this before I did. He had to ask what the NBN was before telling me someone was being forced not to write about it.

I don't think there's enough left in the NBN to give much of a poo poo, and I doubt any dirt from this is going to do anything just because Turnbull's so non-stick you could sell him as kitchenware, but I'm sure whatever this is will at least be worth hearing.

Anidav posted:

I think a lot of people my age feel the same way about things.

Yeah, quite frankly if you're in your twenties in Australia and don't have a general feeling of 'gently caress it, just gently caress IT' that flares up occasionally, you're the one that warrants concern.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

ShoeFly posted:

Never thought I'd see a "Buzzfeed / BBC Investigation". Holy hell.

We're on an internet where Cracked provides really loving heavy interviews as a regular feature.

The future is now, and the future is weird.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Pretty much.

I guess what I'm wondering is, did the PUP get in purely on the protest vote (and running a candidate in every single seat) or was there an actual strategy that they can employ again next time to retain or win a few seats? Like, does it even matter that he doesn't seem to have achieved much for anyone and that his party's a shitshow?

A fuckload of publicity money, and being insane enough to get news coverage outside of it.

I don't think it'll work for him again, because he's very evidently tried and failed, but I can think of someone in another country pulling very similar tactics.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I think the thing with PM Turnbull, especially compared to basically every government from Rudd onwards, is that he's got his poo poo under control. Everyone since Howard has kinda felt like it was only a matter of time before they hosed up and got booted, but Turnbull--partly because of playing it safe, partly because of being better at putting on a good public face, partly because of a loving useless opposition--doesn't feel like a failure waiting to happen. If anything sinks him it's either going to be external, or a WorkChoices-style fuckup that's yet to happen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

hooman posted:

Of course it was, it has loving scurvy.

It's also a baby, I wouldn't begrudge babies much of anything.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

I'd make fun of this new direction for Shorten, but it's probably going to be more successful than what he was doing before, so if it helps it helps.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
It brings up a good theory: if you throw in a symbol for everyone to be proud of, what's the inevitable protesting rear end in a top hat going to actually do? Will they burn a flag that also has their favorite symbol on it?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Digiwizzard posted:

What is with you white people and genocide all the time? It's all you ever want to do. Genocide this. Genocide that.

Oh, of course Undertale is a critique of colonialism! It makes so much sense now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
We're Australia, our national holiday should be commemorating something completely frivolous and using it as an excuse to get shitfaced.

I suggest the anniversary of the first episode of Count Down. Nobody can get offended about Count Down.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

How did Depreston only get to 82? What a poo poo country.

We let Cosby Sweater become a hit.

After the allegations about him came out. And not even a while after either, it was REALLY close. So we let a lovely rap that namedropped someone just ousted as a rapist become a hit single.

After that, I think we proved that Australia just shouldn't do music.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Recoome posted:

Man Australia is shaped really weirdly

It blew my mind that the Great Australian Bight is actually called that officially, it's not just a pet name.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Laserface posted:

How old are you?

I'm twenty-three, I just don't care about geography. I think I filed it away as 'cutesy name I was taught for something in primary school', and then saw it again in passing later, probably in high school, and went 'wait, that can't be right'.

This one's my bad, I admit. It's not like Gallipoli and Eureka where it's genuinely glossed over, I just didn't care enough to check.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Zenithe posted:

Has applying for jobs always been complete bullshit or has anything changed in the past 7 years? I'm guessing I just got lucky in the past and forgot about it. Last 5 jobs I've applied for ask for a resume and force you to fill out what is basically your resume in boxes as part of the application process. Seems terribly inefficient.

I suspect that some of it might be to combat the higher unemployment, and more forceful regulations on job application numbers. A flat-out, simple advertisement through Seek probably gets nigh-unworkable shitloads of applications, but if they force you through 15-20 minutes of bullshit forms just to apply to a simple administration job, that cuts down the list considerably.

I've been through two separate interviews so far for a job in Melbourne that I really want, and not having to deal with that sort of poo poo anymore is still in like, the top ten things I'm looking forward to.And that's a list that includes stuff like 'I could move into the same street the office is on', 'this is exactly the sort of job I want to have', and 'I will finally have the freedom and privacy to do something I've wanted to do for nearly a decade'.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Also, never apply for anything on Oneshift ever.

Ugh, for real. Run away whenever Oneshift is mentioned, really; I think one of the fake job ads I applied to (my mum saw a 'game tester' job, I mistakenly applied before realizing how every word of it was fake as poo poo) signed me up to it without my say-so, because I got emails from them for like two months despite never going on the site.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Anidav posted:

Why isn't it illegal lol. It's extremely dishonest.

I think it is, they just keep doing it. These stories about election advertising pretending to be somebody else's, or something else altogether, crops up every election. And they always get in trouble for it, but they always do it again.

It's always the Liberals that get caught out on it. If Labor does it too, they don't do it nearly as often.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

norp posted:

I refuse to believe that trump will win the general election assuming the republicans are dumb enough to give him the nomination.

Trump's only winning in opinion polls against other Republican candidates. He loses pretty resoundingly in comparisons against Hilary or Bernie.

I doubt Trump's going to get the nomination, though. Much as he might poll well among the voter base, the party would prefer someone more moderate-seeming than the shouty angry outright racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You know the funniest thing about the RoK thing, is that it's supposed to be for really under confident, socially anxious people to 'reclaim their masculinity' right? And they're expecting to get a turn out when they're asking these complete losers to walk up to complete strangers and pretend they're in a badly written spy film?

Given that fact, the counter-rally should just be about a half-dozen polite women asking innocent questions.

• Locked thread