Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
aw jesus tithin's av needs changing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Recoome posted:

hey amethyst, what do you think of Australia's current mandatory detention policy?

there is nothing to be gained

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Joe Hockey is apparently having too much fun in his new ambassadorial appointment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=779fMc8ubOo

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Counting down until Renai LeMay justifies his premium content article about how Nick Ross was not gagged whatsoever and is just seeking attention as being the legitimate truth in some tortured fashion

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

ewe2 posted:

Hopefully the transcripts will be readable, at what point does that article hide content?

Not the New Matilda piece. Delimiter. https://delimiter.com.au/2016/01/15/the-inside-track-no-the-abc-did-not-gag-nick-ross/ <- This previously had a fair bit more text available to non-subscribers. I wonder if the whole thing will disappear?

LeMay has come out with mea culpas before, so he might bite the bullet, but it's certainly not the most professional of looks for someone aiming to be a leading independent tech journalist.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h2h7U8QF2o

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Video of the IQ2 debate - topic "Racism is Destroying the Australian Dream"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNHjYwPSd3w

Skip to 3:06 to watch Stan Grant's speech. It's pretty heavy stuff.

e: Also, there's a poll for/against on the site:

http://www.iq2oz.com/debates/racism-is-destroying/

So far 51% of respondents do not agree with the topic.

e2: Good lord Rita Panahi is an awful public speaker

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 22, 2016

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Amethyst posted:

defend your principals.

Amethyst posted:

Nonsense. Point out where I misused those words, you illiterate moron.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Amethyst posted:

I think the fact that my enemies need to resort to proof reading my posts in a last ditch effort to own me speaks volumes about the strength of their objections.

k, so

I want to be really frank about our relationship.

It doesn't exist. There is no last ditch effort here. There is no effort at all. The emotion that I feel towards you is solely irritation at your incessant drivel, and this is not even a great deal of irritation. Certainly less than I would feel about one of those flies that tries to land on your face a few times in a row so you have to shoo it away in a progressively more annoyed fashion.

I have prepared a helpful chart to illustrate this position:

I took you off ignore briefly to see if you actually had anything to say for once since you hadn't yet claimed intellectual victory and slunk away, tail victoriously between your legs, and now that I see it's all still just drivel you're going back there. I'm not saying this to score points but to explain why there will be no further engagement between us.

I politely suggest that you consider shutting the gently caress up.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
loving

So someone on Facebook posted this:

Which led to this:

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

:australia:

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Birb Katter posted:

This is just ambiguous, are you crying for the flag, are you crying because the UPF guys don't know that the Betoota Advocate is satire or both?

death of the author, interpret my single smiley as you will

(it's because the UPF guys are inhumanly stupid - even if you'd never heard of the Betoota Advocate, to read that as anything other than satire you would have to be a paranoid, poorly educated knee-jerk reactionary who genuinely believed that Aboriginals and Moslems were banding together to usurp the country from its legitimate white owners)

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

The Narrator posted:

Put a black southern cross in the sun.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Tony Abbott is standing for reelection so he can ask Mike Baird for more bus services to Warringah.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jan/24/tony-abbott-confirms-he-will-stay-in-parliament-and-recontest-warringah-seat

He's aged like a fucker in the last few months, too. Looks good on him in lieu of actual death.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

ewe2 posted:

Congratulations! You've won Invasion Day 2016! Here is your prize:

the prize is a pair of the flags from above in those car window clip holders

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/25/sneered-at-patronised-and-condemned-abbott-battles-on-and-thats-a-good-thing

quote:

All politicians in the deepest valley harbour a belief that, since politics is such a volatile and unpredictable profession, they can always return to the highest mountain. After all, history is littered with examples of great political comebacks: Menzies, Churchill, de Gaulle, Nixon, Wilson, Howard, Rudd and, of course, Turnbull.

You might think this eternal optimism accounts for Tony Abbott’s decision to re-contest his Sydney seat of Warringah at the next election. Or you might think the former prime minister is staying in parliament because he just can’t get a job doing anything else.

But you’d be wrong. For Abbott, politics is a vocation, not a springboard for eternal political leadership or financial rapaciousness. It is his way of giving something back to the country. Yes, as he knows from first-hand experience, politics is a dispiriting business. But he also believes, as John Howard once said, it is among the highest and noblest forms of public service.

Indeed, Abbott’s commitment to public service for more than two decades has been exemplary: humble backbencher, junior minister, senior minister, leader of the opposition, prime minister, not to mention his volunteer work as a surf life-saver, fire-fighter and community worker in remote Indigenous communities. Abbott is one of those increasingly rare politicians to have followed a vocation rather than simply to have sought a way of living off the taxpayer.

As unfashionable as it is to say so, there are very few people in public life with finer personal qualities than Abbott. During much of his six years as Liberal leader from 2009 to 2015, he was reviled, humiliated, plotted against and finally betrayed by his own colleagues. Everybody would have understood if he had quit politics at the weekend.

Since he lost the Liberal leadership in September, Abbott has made a few bitter criticisms of his colleagues, but no more than Malcolm Turnbull after he lost his party’s leadership in the summer of 2009-10 and far less than Kevin Rudd after his knifing in the winter of 2010. Abbott has not taken the usual failed politician’s route and enriched himself as a lobbyist or company director. Nor is he likely to write a self-indulgent memoir that seems virtually obligatory for most former politicians.

I should make it clear here that, although we’ve known each other reasonably well for the past two decades, I carry no brief for Abbott. We have had some deep disagreements, most notably over Iraq and Russia. And I readily concede he made a series of mistakes during his brief tenure.

For whatever reason, he never looked comfortable in high office or managed to strike the right note. He broke some crucial promises over the GP co-payment and university funding changes. The whole Sir Prince Philip thing a year ago was just bizarre. And his scrupulous loyalty to his treasurer Joe Hockey and chief of staff Peta Credlin, according to many senior Liberals, led to his downfall.

But Abbott was not nearly as bad a prime minister as people say. From the outset, he was dealt a severe handicap: an uncooperative and reform-averse Senate. He was courageous and right to support a tough stance on border protection, which helped boost public confidence in an orderly, large-scale legal immigration policy. Abbott also stuck to other commitments that resonate with the electorate, most notably the repeal of the widely unpopular carbon tax, which stands the test of time given the failure of the UN to reach a legally binding, enforceable and verifiable deal at Paris last month.

Furthermore, he is a far better prime minister than his two predecessors. I know this claim flies in the face of conventional wisdom among the Canberra smart set: that Kevin Rudd was far more popular with the Australian people and Julia Gillard possessed political skills and arts that eluded Abbott. But although Rudd was in the political stratosphere in 2008-09 and Gillard did win over those independents to form a minority government in 2010, their undoubted gifts were superficial and laden with deceit. Ultimately, Rudd and Gillard bled authority as if from an open wound and undermined public confidence in our democracy – and bequeathed deficits as far as the eye can see.

So what now? Abbott has been written off before, only to come charging back. Sneered at, patronised, condemned, he has battled on. Abbott, at 58, is relatively young and exceedingly fit, he is highly experienced, a man of enormous talent and a magnificent parliamentary performer and an adept and compelling politician.

It is still hard to tell whether Malcolm Turnbull will make a good prime minister and Liberal party leader. We do know quite a lot about what he stands for – his foreign-policy speech at the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies last week was sound in style and substance – but we don’t know what he is like under fire, or how good he might be at making decisions and seeing that they are properly executed.

But we do know that Abbott has a set of ideas and instincts that mark him out distinctively from Turnbull and that he clearly resonates with the Liberal party faithful and ordinary, more conservative Australians in a way his successor never will. Should Turnbull fall, who knows what might happen? Perhaps Abbott should let it be known, publicly rather than privately, that he would be willing to be called upon to serve as a senior minister after this year’s election.

:newlol:

I just... I... bold the whole thing I guess

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

adamantium|wang posted:

Who are the ADF?

Why the gently caress are these groups always named like it was Opposite Day

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

gay picnic defence posted:

I feel like I'm seeing a lot more 'anti' Australia Day stuff doing the rounds this year. Maybe Stan Grant just put it in the mainstream with his speech, but hopefully it's the start of a more permanent trend.

I'm really, really tempted to troll by Facebook posting that flag from a couple pages back with the text "So given all the Republican talk we're going to need to discuss a new flag design, here is an option that sums up Australian values"

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...l#ixzz3yIRhl0OB

quote:

Since he took over from Tony Abbott last September, Mr Turnbull has repeatedly used his "exciting time" line, including during overseas trips. He even jokingly referred to it on Monday morning, noting there had "never been a more exciting time to be a finalist in the 2016 Australian of the year awards".

But the 2016 winner was clearly not convinced.

Despite Mr Turnbull announcing the former army chief as Australian of the Year only moments before, General Morrison said he only partially backed the Prime Minister's statement.

"It is an extraordinary time to be an Australian, but I need to give it qualified agreement."

The former army chief, who is now chair of Diversity Council Australia explained: "For reasons beyond education and professional qualifications or willingness to contribute or a desire to be a part of our society ... too many of our fellow Australians are denied the opportunity to reach their potential.

"It happens because of their gender, because of the god they believe in, because of their racial heritage, because they're not able-bodied, because of their sexual orientation."

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Anidav posted:

I will always have my dog.

I hate to break this to you...

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
http://boingboing.net/2016/01/26/1907-telegram-send-arsenic.html

quote:

In 1907, Charles Morgan of Broome Station sent this telegram to Henry Prinsep, the Chief Protector of Aborigines for Western Australia, in Perth: "Send cask arsenic exterminate aborigines letter will follow."

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
"Diabetes, tooth decay and childhood obesity weren't even on our radar."

Which explains why so many Australians are now diabetic, toothless and fat

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Mother Nature is apparently sick of our poo poo and is trying to wipe all of Australia out:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2016/jan/29/australia-weather-supercell-storms-threaten-sydney-brisbane-and-canberra-live

quote:

Bureau of Meteorology issues severe weather warnings for every state and territory apart from NT as supercell storms stalk eastern cities and the season’s first cyclone forms off the coast of Western Australia

Except the NT. Must be an NT News fan (and really how could you not be?)

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Anidav posted:

Maybe make the flag entirely red, change the symbol up a bit more to reflect the beliefs of Nationalists.

Wait.

Everything old is new again, by which I mean Anidav's jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Those the Return of Kings or w/e fuckers have one primary motivating factor for all their bullshit: If women have choices, they will not be chosen. A more pathetic bunch of inept wankers has never existed.

• Locked thread