Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

freebooter posted:

I for one thing hot cross buns are rad and would be happy to see them all year. Ditto easter eggs

Agreed. I'm always disappointed when Easter ends because there are no more hot cross buns.

What amazes me is not that the media starts attacking any woman who accuses someone high profile of sexual harassment (par for the course really) but that any women actually go through with reporting it at all, given the treatment they receive.

One of those articles was appalling. They weren't going to identify the victim for "privacy" but here is the job she does and a bunch of identifying details about her background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Yes, calling the complainant is definitely the "right thing to do" and not "harassment" or "intimidation".

Does he also forward on photos of people he just met on the regular, or only those with piercing eyes?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Amoeba102 posted:

MONA didn't live up to the hype. I didn't rate any of the pieces, because I didn't realise you could until right at the end. I didn't get chips from the balcony cafe so I can't confirm or deny.

I liked MONA, but that was because one of the pieces was a trampoline you could jump on that played chime bells when you did and another let you watch short movies on ipad's in a room that was carpeted in what appeared to be some extraneous muppets. Also, I went to the bar and had the wine tasting from the onsite winery.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Anidav posted:

DSE is basically hosed unless the old man himself buys it back.

They're hosed already. They weren't paying suppliers pre-Christmas, which is a good indication that they dont have enough operating cashflow and were close to (or possibly already) insolvent. My money is on a bankruptcy announcement on Wednesday.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Laserface posted:

only if its a political topic.

replying to trolls, foodchat and bike chat all require at least 3 pages of everyone saying the same thing over and over again until someone breaks the cycle by posting somethingi that makes everyone angry at something else long enough to distract them.

Ask and ye shall receive.

quote:

Six-year-old refugee allegedly sexually assaulted on Nauru

A six-year-old refugee was allegedly sexually abused on Nauru and the perpetrator caught in the act by her parents, but the man is yet to be arrested or charged, the father has said.

A police investigation is underway, but the lack of any arrest or charges against the man, who is also a refugee, has angered the father and sparked concern among families in the community.

The girl’s father, an Iranian refugee living in Nauru, hit out at the island nation’s authorities over what he said was a lack of action, and questioned differing police approaches to crimes involving refugees and locals.

No one has ever been charged for an assault against a refugee or asylum seeker on Nauru, despite multiple allegations and documented incidents including abuse of children.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/06/six-year-old-refugee-allegedly-sexually-assaulted-on-nauru

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Still a lovely article regardless.

I really hope that commenter is being sarcastic.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Never change Transfield....

quote:

Managers at the Manus Island detention centre have been accused of flying an employee out of Papua New Guinea to avoid the country’s justice system after he allegedly robbed a local bar before driving off and crashing his car.

Last year there were accusations of a cover-up after three Australian men accused of raping a Papua New Guinean colleague were flown back to Australia before they could face police.

The latest incident occurred about four weeks ago at the Harbourside hotel in Lorengau about 2pm. Witnesses said the man, who had been at the hotel since that morning, jumped over the bar and stole beer and a carton of cigarettes.

He then drove off towards Lombrum, narrowly missing a police vehicle which had responded to reports of a reckless driver, before running off the road, they said. Witnesses told police he got out of the car and began walking back towards the Lorengau base, which houses the processing centre.

The man is employed by Wilson Security, the company subcontracted by Australian immigration department contractors Broadspectrum (formerly Transfield) to provide security at the detention centre.

Guardian Australia was told when police went to the Australian-run centre to question the man, they were informed by staff members – thought to be a manager and a medical practitioner – that the man was in hospital, but he would see police the following day. He was flown back to Australia before that could happen, it is alleged.

A spokesman for the Australian immigration department confirmed the flight but said it had been advised no charges were laid and no criminal investigation was under way.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jan/08/manus-detention-centre-bosses-accused-flying-out-employee-who-allegedly-robbed-bar

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Would the "senior church figures in Melbourne" that made that decision have included Pell?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

That would be the same for regular crims though, how much would we spend locking them up compared to compensation paid to victims?

Usually the criminals aren't protected by government cover ups for years though.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Recoome posted:

Obviously the source is UPF supporter, or person with schizophrenia/delusions

Why not both?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Goodpart posted:

Please cleanse your palate after the Stan Grant speech with this utter refuse from noted piece of poo poo and Herald Sun columnist (trans: noted piece of poo poo) Rita Panahi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wplH4Sb-k

Well when you sell it like that.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Ahahahaha

quote:

Eric Abetz: Coalition MPs will not be bound by plebiscite on marriage equality

The prominent conservative senator Eric Abetz says every Coalition MP will be free to decide how to cast their parliamentary vote on same-sex marriage, contradicting the prime minister and, according to the marriage equality lobby, rendering the promised $160m national plebiscite pointless.

Malcolm Turnbull supports marriage equality and originally argued against Tony Abbott’s “circuit-breaker” policy of a plebiscite after the next federal election, but then promised conservative Liberal colleagues and the Nationals he would keep the policy when he sought the Liberal leadership.

In October Turnbull told parliament his government would abide by the decision made by the Australian people and anyone arguing otherwise was “not living in the real world”.

“When the Australian people make their decision, that decision will stick,” he said. “It will be decisive. It will be respected by this government and by this parliament and this nation.

“But let me tell you this. If you imagine that any government, this government or any government, would spend over $150m consulting every Australian on an issue of this kind and then ignore their decision, then they really are not living in the real world.”

But Abetz, a former minister in Abbott’s government, has argued the people’s decision in a plebiscite would not necessarily be decisive.

“I would need to determine whether [the plebiscite] really is an accurate reflection [of the national view], whether it is all above board or whether the question is stacked, whether all sides received public funding,” he told Guardian Australia.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jan/27/eric-abetz-coalition-mps-will-not-be-bound-by-plebiscite-on-marriage-equality

• Locked thread