Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Take the red pill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Itt people seriously try to debate a 4 foot tall levanese woman carrying mace

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Laserface posted:

Who cares? its entertainment.

Yeah, the private sector can easily monitor itself without government red tape to get in the way.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I know that sports and, well, people who post on the internet in discussions of politics are usually anathema and sport can be bundled off to one side as not a concern but drug use in sport is rampant from the top down with the fatalities, shortened lives, and everything in between adding up. There is little to no motivation amongst established sports to fight this, because they've spent years protecting them and they all have skeletons in their closets. It's akin to the Catholic Church - they've spent years covering it up, and the rabbit hole is too deep, they will do everything to protect themselves and their reputation - and to do that nothing bad must ever be reported.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

open24hours posted:

If it were reframed as an OH&S issue I might be more sympathetic to it, but as far as I can tell the main objective is to promote 'fairness'.

It also seems like a lot of the things professional athletes put themselves through would be banned if sport were treated like other jobs though.

You can argue that it being framed as a fairness problem makes no logical sense, but that's what sports and sports people are - they're meant to be icons. To stay on top you push yourself harder than everyone is going to go, and yes in individual sports its their own actions but it's in an environment where they have forever hosed their bodies (or been pressured to, or know that the system is rigged).

This goes far beyond simply sports, steroid use amongst high schoolers (and now, late primary schoolers) has risen gigantically in the past decade. This is new to Australia but been established in America for some time where the only way to get out of being poor was to be the strongest sportsman and maybe get lucky. It's an epidemic and treating it like private enterprise alone is missing the forest for the trees.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/05/06/1083635254464.html

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/steroid-use-putting-body-conscious-teens-at-risk-20090919-fw48.html

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/lifematters/men-body-image-steroids/5306494

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
That's a false equivalency - your original claim was to let AFL deal with it if they want to, which again is pretty clearly from the eyes of someone who doesn't "get" sport. I responded showing why this is just an extension of the logic that allows any field to become "why should the government interfere/regulate private industry". As for weed use/steroid use you do realise that a number of these teens are using these drugs to become the best - if an institution existed to mean that effort was wasted wouldn't it by logic reduce its usage? This isn't about appearances solely, it's about getting as strong as possible, as fast as possible, and having a heart attack by 35.

Also unlike weed steroids permanently change your physiology, yes even when you stop using them, they aren't a recreational high.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Anidav posted:

I don't feel like fighting.

David you should get some help before you fall off the edge - if you see a GP you can get a mental health plan for ten free psychologist visits through medicare. You're showing pretty clear signs of depression and the self-medication isn't going to help it go away.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Anidav posted:

Yeah it's been rough.

There is help and you aren't alone.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Recoome posted:

you are a p poo poo greens supporter, bub

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Counterpoint: nothing ever changes and Anime David will probably die alone with his hentais

Birb Katter posted:

Do I have to watch him die? Wait, I'm a hen guy not hentai. Nevermind.

ninja edit: yes, I am a cock.

Aren't you guys a bunch of loving comedians. Noble to show humanity by roaring at the heavens but the second someone actually needs help rather than set aside your personality disorders you just be loving shitheads. Go get hosed, you will not be missed.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Birb Katter posted:

There is a lot of piss taken in here. Anidav is doing fine, he's just in the transition phase of moving rental places which is always poo poo. Orkin is my sex slave and anything I say to him he deserves. Brown isn't even a colour so Blitzkrieg Of Colour is a lie. Loads of us know each other irl at least semi professionally or at least well enough from various threads and chatrooms that we're OK with taking the piss out of each other. The only person we really hate is willus and neither he or his chin read this thread so it doesn't matter.

There is piss taking, but there is also being able to tell when someone isn't the normal kind of not right. I straight up hosed up yesterday when I commented on Anidav's use of alcohol with a joke about using a depressant but it's pretty clear since that this isn't a joke and that the kids in trouble. Sorry about lashing out but I have a real trigger for when people don't take mental illness seriously and with half the guys telling Anidav to get serious help while the other half are kicking him.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Levity lightens the heaviest sole, you obtuse cracker.

Yes, such levity as talking about him to someone else and insulting him while not talking to him directly. Such great needling your skills are. If you can't tell the difference between being humourous and being an rear end in a top hat you need help.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...5363b801c5fda62

What

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...tors_picks=true

Moral panic 2016 - girls on instagram smoking weed "gambling with their lives" yes

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2016/01/13/the-university-of-wollongong-issues-a-phd-in-antivaccine-pseudoscience/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Conservative commentator Andrew Bolt's television show The Bolt Report has reportedly been axed by Channel Ten after more than four years on the network.

According to a report by The Australian, the Sunday morning political discussion program has not been renewed by the network in 2016, with speculation Bolt will join the Sky News line-up.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...l#ixzz3xYNRiGn9
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

The Peccadillo posted:

I don't know anything about the dude, but the article asserts he instructs dudes to choke women as a pick up technique, or something?

Seems like a smart nix, along with that dude who described how it was fine to grab and grope Japanese women in the street because there was a cultural dissensentive to do anything about it over there

the worms: what do we do if Eminem wants to come back

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

The Peccadillo posted:

Next thing they'll deny Pietro Cortona a visa, for that awful painting of the Rape of the Sabines

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/aug/10/us-rap-artist-tyler-the-creator-cancels-australian-tour-after-visa-ban-campaign

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/sydney-restaurants-seek-workers-for-10-an-hour-20160120-gma52k.html

the continued exploitation of international students, including at Mamak which if you've ever been to Chinatown in Sydney you will know

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Anidav posted:

Only select babies can handle nut milk

someone make this his avatar

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
This is a thing

quote:

NSW teaching students will face personality assessments from next year, the NSW Board of Studies has confirmed.

The President of the NSW Council of Deans of Education, Chris Davison, said the assessments will draw from tests similar to those undertaken for the army and will weed out candidates unsuited to teaching before they begin their degrees.

"The challenge is to have one that works for teaching. You probably need a much higher degree of empathy than you do in the army," she said.

Professor Davison said that the national program was necessary despite tough new regulations on literacy and numeracy imposed by the NSW government.

She said the personality assessments were being implemented because students with poor communication or behavioral issues were still undertaking teaching degrees.

"At one stage it emerged that someone in our own program at UNSW had major psychological problems," she said.

"They already had a degree in another field so had passed the academic requirements but they couldn't main eye contact, they couldn't maintain conversation. We found out they had recently been released from psychiatric ward and had problems interacting with people.

"Their counsellor suggested they take up a teaching degree. I counselled them to withdraw."

The Board of Studies' move to implement personality tests at all universities comes after a crackdown on teacher training by the NSW government in September.

For the first time this year, teachers had to achieve three band 5s to be accepted into university and pass literacy and numeracy tests, as thousands of school students prepare to return to school from January 28.

Less than 10 per cent of universities are impacted by the band 5 regulation, said Professor Davison. It does not apply to double teaching degrees such as a Bachelor of Science and Education.

The second degree is assumed to take the place of the three band 5 standard at most major universities.

Professor Davison said the tougher academic regulations announced by NSW Education Minister Adrian Piccoli at UNSW in September were "ironic, because we are not affected by them".

While the regulations may not have prevented students from enrolling at most major universities, the publicity has made a dent in teaching applications throughout the state.

"Across the sector there has been a drop in applications for teaching this year," said Western Sydney University's Acting Vice-Chancellor Professor Denise Kirkpatrick.

Professor Kirkpatrick said she welcomed the government's tightening of teaching standards, saying it would lead to more well-prepared teachers in the state's classrooms.

Despite the crackdown, second chances have been extended to teachers who have not met the three band 5 standard through alternative entry schemes or scored a double degree position.

At the University of Notre Dame Australia, students who failed to get the required marks will be able to take a bridging course that will equate to the threeband 5 qualification.

The course will focus on HSC English and the seven key competencies outlined in the Australian Curriculum: literacy, numeracy, ICT capability, critical and creative thinking, personal and social capability, ethical understanding and intercultural understanding.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Tirade posted:

...a good thing, right?

well given the communication etc. vague descriptions it seems the case used was rather than the person being for example psychopathic they were autistic (lack of eye contact, difficulty conversing) so unless they have a much better case it seems that rather than start a slippery slope its origins come from the slippery slope

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Mithranderp posted:

The "good" part of the whole thing is the literacy and numeracy requirements.

But yeah it seems depending on how their methodology for psych assessments, they might exclude someone on the wrong basis.

The literacy and Numeracy requirements were added back last year, the new feature is the personality test which (again) seems to have built on the predication of an autistic university graduate being someone not a teacher (despite apparently being advised to do the course and then talked out of it). It's like the worms have already escaped the can.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Stoca Zola posted:

So the principal had words to goose-stepper to try and work out why the gently caress they thought goose stepping was a good idea, and the reasoning was that "it is the March of my peoples" only in this case, goose stepper insisted that goose stepping is something that Irish people do. I really don't know if the class was actually supposed to be representing traditional Irish marching styles in this parade, I got the impression that it was an on the spot idea not something that anyone had planned or rehearsed. Can anyone confirm or deny that there is any kind of traditional Celtic goose step?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mC0rWgUqTc

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
'Many years ago I was in TAFE doing a media/journalism thing for a bit and one of the other students during orientation being asked by the teacher why they wanted to be there answered the following

"I have two passions to write about, video gaming and atheism."

I gave up on that course that very moment.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Laserface posted:

If this is how people in this thread engage with other people when discussing politics it is no wonder that people wont listen to them.

When did discussing politics include being objectively racist? This is a sincere question before you flip out, as every other post of mine can affirm. You aren't being jusged on a question of politics, you're espousing inverted one drop theory - rather than a drop of Indigenous blood making him indigenous you are accusing him of being an Uncle Tom Aborigine. How is this different from Andrew Bolt's conviction? Different from people telling Adam Goodes he should act white for succeeding and not making a scene? Where is your valid political argument here not found in arguments of blood supremacy and arrogance?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/women-and-weed-the-gender-differences-in-cannabis-use-and-abuse-20160117-gm7xbh.html

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I've never seen that many comments on a Guardian Facebook post before. Pushing 200 in less than an hour.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-climate-fiasco

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Amurca bringing us up again

quote:

Los Angeles: US presidential hopeful Ted Cruz's claim sexual assaults on women in Australia went up significantly after strict gun laws were introduced has been challenged by a Washington Post analysis.

Senator Cruz said on high-profile American radio host Hugh Hewitt's show on January 12 Australia's post-Port Arthur massacre gun legislation meant women were unable to defend themselves from being raped.

The Washington Post's Fact Checker column examined Senator Cruz's comment and on Monday rated it a "whopper" of a factual error, the highest rating on its "Pinocchio Test".

"And as you know, Hugh, after Australia did that [gun buyback program], the rate of sexual assaults, the rate of rapes, went up significantly, because women were unable to defend themselves," Mr Cruz told the radio host.

"There's nothing that criminals or terrorists like more than unarmed victims."

Conservative candidate Senator Cruz is Donald Trump's biggest rival for the Republican presidential nomination.

The gun debate has become a hot button issue in the presidential race, with Republican candidates like Senator Cruz and the National Rifle Association attacking President Barack Obama and Democrat hopeful Hillary Clinton's references to Australia's firearm laws.

The Washington Post analysis found no significant spike or drop but a gradual increase in sexual assault rates over the decade after the 1996 changes in Australia.

The increase was likely affected by a rise in the reporting of sexual assaults and there wasn't prevalent use of handguns for self-defence before 1996, as Senator Cruz suggested, the newspaper concluded.

"The rates didn't go up 'significantly' after the buyback and there's no evidence changes to gun laws in Australia affected sexual assault rates or jeopardised the ability of women to protect themselves," the Washington Post told readers.

The newspaper spoke to Samara McPhedran, senior research fellow at Australia's Griffith University and chair of the International Coalition of Women in Shooting and Hunting.

The Post also examined research by the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, Australian Institute of Criminology, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, the Law Library of Congress, Christine Neill, economics professor at Canada's Wilfrid Laurier University and Andrew Leigh, an Australian MP and former Australian National University economics professor.

The newspaper also concluded given gun culture in Australia and the US is not comparable, including carrying concealed guns and the ability to carry firearms for self-defence, "politicians should refrain from attributing good or bad changes in Australian crime rates to the buyback program or to the legislative package".

"We also warn politicians on both sides of the gun debate about making broad assertions about Australia to justify policy arguments for the United States," the Post concluded.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/wor...l#ixzz3yJvSYFzM
Follow us: @canberratimes on Twitter | CanberraTimes on Facebook

something something 3 foot tall lebanese woman with mace something

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://m.smh.com.au/national/education/nsw-universities-taking-students-with-atars-as-low-as-30-20160125-gmdvr6.html on phone can someone cp

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Amethyst posted:

He was extremely obviously joking about the kangaroo thing.

A recurring theme amongst religious extremists is very poor education and intellect.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

that appears to be vegemite

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The film clip is literally an all-white band dressed in all white clothes playing in an all white room.

The Hottest 100 has become a case of Australian exceptionalism, when it's not exceptional. Vance Joy over Lorde was the worst.

See also: every case of Australian Hip-Hop ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Wish I could find the ad, the other best part is after the scoff the guy with the hair slowly turns directly to face the camera staring like he has shellshock.

• Locked thread