Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

furry drum circle posted:

PoR might be boring but it really shouldn't be a fuckup. The run becomes Marcia airlifting Ike to the map objective where they both oneshot everyone and become engorged off exp snowballing. There's a couple rng moments with crit rolls etc but it shouldn't be anything as bad as, say, status effects or catch rate in a pokemon run.

I like the game so I'll probably watch anyways, hopefully there's some good commentary.
the sacred stones run that one year was pretty sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Really cannot wait to see Alpha Zylon played live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j3XGi2hd0w

That game is Special.

I wanted to say, I'm upset that I watched that video because the shock and awe of witnessing it as part of the marathon has now been spoiled.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

There's always Bonus Stream :v:

They got rid of bonus stream after AGDQ 2K15.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Well this is going to be a fun showcase.

Speaking of showcases, I wonder if GDQ should start a dedicated showcase block to show off these high skill, score attack games and the like. They could also just spend some time going over the basics of what speed running is and the different methods behind it.

Dunno what you'd remove to make that a thing though. And since it's a week long event, having a fresher on Sunday isn't going to help new viewers on a Thursday.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

DoctorStrangelove posted:

They got rid of bonus stream after AGDQ 2K15.

Yeah, I heard about that on RWolfcastle's comedy podcast.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

the sacred stones run that one year was pretty sad

also the run where the guy kept threatening to murder everyone

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I wanted to say, I'm upset that I watched that video because the shock and awe of witnessing it as part of the marathon has now been spoiled.

I figured it was pretty well known around here, what with thanking Lowtax for the transcription in the video.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Dominic White posted:

I figured it was pretty well known around here, what with thanking Lowtax for the transcription in the video.

I'm not sure if that many goons saw that VoD, but this is how I discovered it :v:.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think the inevitable trainwreck with the one really bad runner are fun in their own ways.

The Crash run from last marathon was pretty special.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

GDQ trainwrecks suck when they are happening but are always so hilarious in retrospect. I look forward to this event's offerings.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Eonwe posted:

He only threatened them once at the very end of the run.

But the rest of it was equally terrible.

I hope the GDQ staff did better with vetting the runners this year (although 1 out of however many people ran last time is a pretty good record).

Speaking of things that are finally gone: No Touhou block this year.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Crain posted:

Do you have any links to check out to get a taste of what to expect? I'm looking forward to Stepmania showcase, but want to see what that really entails.

I assume it's more people using a keyboard and now DDR style with a dance mat.
Aww boo. That is pretty impressive, but I thought it was going to be actual DDR pads.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

Also, they FINALLY took the hint and dropped Binding of Isaac. Thank god.

But I love trainwreck runs! The guy flubbing Isaac was more entertaining than any Isaac speedrun would've been

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Eonwe posted:

pretend I made a cuck joke

Eonwe posted:

gonna get you prebanned from #speedruns :mad:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CrashCat posted:

gonna get you prebanned from #speedruns :mad:

im very upset im banned from an irc channel

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
please import more IRC drama i know the mods love that

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the dmc4 run might own bc vergil is so stupidly powerful and DT rapid slash is the fastest way to move from point a to point b
or maybe it'll be boring as balls and the guy just plays normally until he gets enough proud souls to get judgement cut end and does that every single fight

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eonwe posted:

that dude's twitter is 50% him desperately arguing that that run wasn't THAT awkward and 50% him desperately denying being gay

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its gonna be a good GDQ this year

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

that dude's twitter is 50% him desperately arguing that that run wasn't THAT awkward and 50% him desperately denying being gay

wow you are going to get banned from IRC like me if you keep this up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

wow you are going to get banned from IRC like me if you keep this up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- worried nobody ever

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The best trainwreck run was last summer's Prince of Persia where the guy kept loving up tricky glitches and the everyone just kept sending in donations and words of support. :kimchi:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So did you hear about that marathon when that one guy-

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Oh boy I really hope they kill the animals this time

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

People still deny being gay on the internet?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

The best trainwreck run was last summer's Prince of Persia where the guy kept loving up tricky glitches and the everyone just kept sending in donations and words of support. :kimchi:

that's a feel good story

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Really the only reason to watch. Also the only thing worth watching.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I hate animal so loving much.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Crain posted:

Speaking of things that are finally gone: No Touhou block this year.

Was it really a block last time when it was only two games?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

he's being ridiculous i will not have it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

As tired as I am of hearing "[Kill/Save] the animals!" I can't begrudge the stupid amount of money it brings in.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Meh. I think the thread spent more effort on ripping into those guys during those two games than we did for any other block or runner. So I'm counting it as a block.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im looking forward to a cucking good time at this GDQ

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Normally I'd already be out there, helping set stuff up, but I caught something nasty early in the week (102.6F fever on Tuesday) so I had to push my flight back to tomorrow.

Looking forward to being part of the first 4-way NES race Wednesday mid-day. :toot:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm sincerely excited to see people beat games quickly to raise money for charity.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

UraniumAnchor posted:

Normally I'd already be out there, helping set stuff up, but I caught something nasty early in the week (102.6F fever on Tuesday) so I had to push my flight back to tomorrow.

Looking forward to being part of the first 4-way NES race Wednesday mid-day. :toot:
Start placing bets now on the setup time :v:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rorus Raz posted:

I'm sincerely excited to see people beat games quickly to raise money for charity.

I'm hype for speedruns

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

I'm hype for speedruns

same

and other stuff

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!
omg i'm so hoyyyyype XD