Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sanctum posted:

'HYPE' 'lol' and in tiny barely visible letters words like 'the' 'game' 'nice'
Don't forget "DS" and "dad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I would like a twitch that is exclusively emotes

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

symbolic posted:

Don't forget "DS" and "dad".

And the ever popular "YSG".

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The only worthwhile thing I remember from bonus stream was when the guy ran Kid Chameleon before the shuttle to his flight left.

Oh and YoCo. Always YoCo.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

DraconicImpulse posted:

Are you sure they're enabled? Click the cog icon and select "BetterTTV Settings".
I keep them disabled because I think they're annoying, but I'm pretty sure you have to enable them.

If that's not the issue, then it could just be a problem with BTTV. Occasionally it acts really stupid.

thanks. took me longer to figure out than it should have

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Rorus Raz posted:

The only worthwhile thing I remember from bonus stream was when the guy ran Kid Chameleon before the shuttle to his flight left.

Oh and YoCo. Always YoCo.
Oh poo poo I'm mad I missed that.

Kid Chameleon is a game I tried to run seriously but after some weeks of trying I couldn't even beat it. Time well spent, that game is really fun to run. The speedrun thread goon had a WR on it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Am I the only one who dislikes races? Not because of the competition or anything, it just shrinks the game screen down and I lose track of whats going on.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

MisterBibs posted:

Am I the only one who dislikes races? Not because of the competition or anything, it just shrinks the game screen down and I lose track of whats going on.

Plenty of people dislike them.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Yeah, races only really work if you're SUPER familiar with the game and it's clear enough to see even when shrunk. Both of these reasons are why the only one I really liked was the SMW run.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Chieves posted:

Yeah, races only really work if you're SUPER familiar with the game and it's clear enough to see even when shrunk. Both of these reasons are why the only one I really liked was the SMW run.

They also work if the game is pretty linear. I enjoyed the racing game races because both followed the same path and it was easy to tell who was in the lead and who wasn't. Doing metroidvanias or anything nonlinear like that is a bad idea and that's why I didn't enjoy the Ori race because aside from being unfamiliar with the game I had no real landmarks to tell who was ahead and who wasn't.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I enjoy 2 player races. The 4 player SMW race was a lot harder to follow, even though I know that game inside and out. Four players makes things too busy and hectic.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I like races well enough but I like them significantly less than single person runs. It works though for stuff like SMW/Yoshi's Island Any % or Super Metroid where there's a good chance of a runner ruining their run half way through.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Cubey posted:

I enjoy 2 player races. The 4 player SMW race was a lot harder to follow, even though I know that game inside and out. Four players makes things too busy and hectic.

The counterpoint is that one Super Metroid run where one guy died super early into the run and just masturbated into a corner for 15 minutes while he waited for the other guy to finish

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

The counterpoint is that one Super Metroid run where one guy died super early into the run and just masturbated into a corner for 15 minutes while he waited for the other guy to finish

That's actually part of the mentality behind races, if the game itself has a high chance of softlocking or ending on death, it's better to have two people do it, because if one fails, you have one to fall back on, as opposed to being poo poo out of luck if phantoon takes you down and now you're out an hour.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Was the Johnny Bazookatone run in the Awful Block not interesting or something? I heard someone say it was the weakpoint of the block and that disappointed me because it was an awful game I actually had as a kid.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's just sorta boring instead of really bad and fun to watch.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

No Such Thing posted:

That's actually part of the mentality behind races, if the game itself has a high chance of softlocking or ending on death, it's better to have two people do it, because if one fails, you have one to fall back on, as opposed to being poo poo out of luck if phantoon takes you down and now you're out an hour.

Well yeah for this year's SMW wrong warp that's why I assumed they had a four-way race, but if the audience is expecting an actual race it's hard to feel let down. I think that particular Super Metroid race was following up a super tight, super hype race from the previous GDQ which compounded the issue

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The LttP race from AGDQ 2014 was pretty cool.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Geight posted:

Was the Johnny Bazookatone run in the Awful Block not interesting or something? I heard someone say it was the weakpoint of the block and that disappointed me because it was an awful game I actually had as a kid.

All the other runs in that block were hilarious. Bazookatone just felt like any other game being speedran.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Failboattootoot posted:

All the other runs in that block were hilarious. Bazookatone just felt like any other game being speedran.

I guess that makes sense. Honestly my memories of it are just it being kind of a boring platformer, not particularly awful in any way.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Races are cool and interesting when the competitors are actually close and trade leads a lot throughout the run. See Super Mario Kart and Shovel Knight this year. They're boring when someone pulls ahead early and never looks in danger of losing that lead for the rest of the run. Even though it was the most popular event and people seemed to love it, I've gotta say the Mario Maker race fell into the latter category for me. Either way, there's not much the event organizers can really do to affect this outcome other than choosing competitors that are roughly equal in skill, and even then it's a crapshoot.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Geight posted:

I guess that makes sense. Honestly my memories of it are just it being kind of a boring platformer, not particularly awful in any way.

Yeah, it was just boring and mediocre. The rest of the Awful block were really and truly awful, so it didn't fit.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Geight posted:

It was sandwiched between like, Rocky and Bullwinkle and Escape from Atlantis. Your memories are correct but it was the bland borign filler between an insane run of hilarious games.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

senrath posted:

Yeah, it was just boring and mediocre. The rest of the Awful block were really and truly awful, so it didn't fit.

Until this year's Awful Block I had forgotten the true joy of laughing over truly garbage video games (instead of just "this game has a flaw, I'm going to call it the worst ever").

"Lion, no!"

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 12, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

mycot posted:

Until this year's Awful Block I had forgotten the true joy of laughing over truly garbage video games (instead of just "this game has a flaw, I'm going to call it the worst ever").

"Lion, no!"

Animorphs taught me about the harsh rules of nature better than any documentary ever could

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Pakled posted:

Races are cool and interesting when the competitors are actually close and trade leads a lot throughout the run. See Super Mario Kart and Shovel Knight this year. They're boring when someone pulls ahead early and never looks in danger of losing that lead for the rest of the run. Even though it was the most popular event and people seemed to love it, I've gotta say the Mario Maker race fell into the latter category for me. Either way, there's not much the event organizers can really do to affect this outcome other than choosing competitors that are roughly equal in skill, and even then it's a crapshoot.

Well there was something they could have done, made it so each stage was an individual race then just added up the score to find the winner.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Animorph was the tetris of this year. But I wish I could've experienced it live instead of through vod

CardTech
Nov 11, 2009

Baseball bro'ing at a super-high level

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Animorph was the tetris of this year. But I wish I could've experienced it live instead of through vod

I just finished watching the VOD myself, and it might be my favorite run this year. I'm sad that they didn't get to finish.

Pretty much the entire Awful games block knocked it out of the park though.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Zivilyn Bane posted:

So if people on the GDQ staff are still in the thread, there's a couple things I'd like to ask just to satisfy my curiosity:

What are the rules about being in the row of chairs by the crowd shot camera that the stream would go to between games? Are you not supposed to 'address' it or whatever? DS Dad showed his Not DS to the camera once and it seemed like someone came over to talk to him immediately. The guy in the wheelchair wheeled away after flashing Twitch emotes on his tablet, Canadian Furry was in that row for like 15 minutes before leaving and never being seen again, as far as I'm aware (what happened to him? Did he have to take the suit off?) I don't think the Phone Guy or Beard Guy were ever directly spoken to, although Phone Guy got so thoroughly mocked that he stopped his poo poo after the first night he did it. Beard Guy I don't think was ever 'addressed' by anyone, and stroked his beard at the camera near constantly. From what I heard Wheelchair Guy violated the 'no distractions' rule, which I guess the fursuit guy did too? I don't know if anyone official said that though so it might just be hearsay.

Is the idea "please don't mug for / touch / approach the camera" and Beard Guy just never completely crossed the line the way flashing emotes, holding up the Pandora or wearing a fursuit did?

In general if people displayed poo poo on their devices we just told them to stop. Wheelchair guy was not told to leave the room, he just did anyway. Furry was interesting since it wasn't a rule we had for yet (other than not distracting from a run, which he wasn't in camera-sight of the runner cameras). We ended up deciding that we needed to be able to see everyone's face, regardless of where they are in event space, for security reasons. He was told that and presumably just left? I don't know, maybe he just took it off and returned.

Dunno about Phone guy, that one didn't trickle up to me, and I guess tech just made a call that beard guy wasn't crossing the line.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
The furry guy was funny because for the short moment he was on cam donations came in and the reader made a point to go ham on the KILL THE ANIMALS ones

Chat caught on and the furry was making gestures and stuff

The beard guy was just really lost in his own ego and playing it up for the cam, it was whatever. Phone guy just looked terribly anxious and kept fidgeting with his phone, and it looked like he was on a phonecall the whole time despite his screen being brightly lit on his face

All in all, a lot of inoffensive audience interaction that some people really freaked out over

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Pakled posted:

The Mario Maker race needs to run by level, like others have said, and not have 8 people on screen. 2 people per team would be easier to follow, while still having a "working together to solve it" feel.

Still, for a brand new idea, it went well. Some small adjustments and it would be great.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Regarding races there's just got to be some worst-case scenario planning for if someone ends up loving up and has to drop out and/or ends up being ridiculously behind the other person. All the races I saw this year (barring the special-case Mario Maker run and the great-for-other-reasons LTTP run) ended up being nice and close, but that's obviously not always been the case and sometimes it ends up being super awkward like Garrison dying partway into the 4-person race and having to just sit there for a while while everyone else keeps going.

I don't know if there's an easy solution to it, though, other than not racing games where that's a possibility.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Step 1 for a successful Super Metroid race: invite Zoast.

There is no step 2.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

symbolic posted:

"This boss is a jerk." vs. "This boss is a bitch."

The latter seems much better.

I like the former because people trying to be creative with cursing when they can't swear is about as funny as some runners will get to be.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
There were actually a lot of cool and good races this year. BCAS, Mario Kart, LttP(although that one not so much for the race part), etc., a lot of them were really close as well. I think I'm mostly fine with this number of races.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

BCAS owns

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Because of the suggestions of this thread I watched the Rocky and Bullwinkle run. Even though it's only 5 minutes long it's about as magical as Animorphs.

edit: I'm on Escape from Atlantis (which for some reason I mistook for the Indiana Jones Atlantis game for the whole week) now and the music is just as good.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 12, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mycot posted:

Because of the suggestions of this thread I watched the Rocky and Bullwinkle run. Even though it's only 5 minutes long it's about as magical as Animorphs.

I just laugh when I think of that ending title card.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Fawf posted:

BCAS owns

BCAS oooowns

What are people using for the VODs? Just the Twitch links from Reddit? I've been doing them on YouTube because the Twitch Flash player craps all over my computer for some reason and I'm not smart enough to figure out how to watch old Twitch recordings in the HTML5 player. A good chunk of the first night/second morning on YouTube has some kind of weird echo effect on the audio but overall the audio quality for the uploads on YouTube are much better than they were the week following SGDQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

They're being uploaded REALLY quickly to Youtube now on the official channel.

• Locked thread