Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Jokes on them, they didn't fill out the check right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I just bought a powerball ticket for tonight. If I win four bucks, can I get a big check?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Oh look fat people won.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
THey did fine up until the give to church part.

:rip:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

quote:

they’ll tithe heavily to their church, John Robinson said.
Hahaha, called it. What a bunch of fuckwits.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jesus needs 500 million dollars for six new mega churches or you are going to hell

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I wonder if they mean tithe literally. Like what's a church in a town of less than ten thousand people going to do with 30 million?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Germstore posted:

I wonder if they mean tithe literally. Like what's a church in a town of less than ten thousand people going to do with 30 million?

The pastor will no doubt start showing up to services in a Bentley. He will also go on a motivational speaking circuit where he somehow convinces thousands of people that Jesus wants them all to be rich.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Georgia Lottery winner killed during home invasion

quote:

Friends told WALB that Burch used some of his winnings to buy Christmas presents for people in need.
lol

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I kinda feel like state lotteries have some reasonable level of responsibility to inform the inevitable forklift drivers that win prizes that "people are going to want to murder you now and you should probably lay low." or something to that effect.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

soy posted:

I kinda feel like state lotteries have some reasonable level of responsibility to inform the inevitable forklift drivers that win prizes that "people are going to want to murder you now and you should probably lay low." or something to that effect.

Yeah or not force them to put a picture of themselves out there ready to be murdered by everyone who knows them and wants money.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Is there any evidence the home invasion was actually connected to winning the lottery there? I mean its not like you can rob someone's bank account (at last not without marrying them first hue hue hue) so I doubt busting into a lotto winner's house is gonna get you too much more money than any decently well off neighborhood.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Half a million is enough to attract people to give you poo poo, but not enough to lay low or really avoid the bullshit.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

ArbitraryC posted:

Is there any evidence the home invasion was actually connected to winning the lottery there? I mean its not like you can rob someone's bank account (at last not without marrying them first hue hue hue) so I doubt busting into a lotto winner's house is gonna get you too much more money than any decently well off neighborhood.

I'm not sure how true this story is, but I've heard talk of in our area several years ago there was a murder that happened because of some guy whose mom died. He told some people he worked with that when she died that she'd left him a bunch of money and they came over to his house and beat the poo poo out of him looking for the money and when they couldn't find it they forced him to write checks for cash, and then killed him.

I think there was a kidnapping case a few years ago where someone forced a kidnapped person to give them their ATM card and PIN and then went around trying to get as much as they could from ATMs for the next few days.

At the worst, a recent lotto winner might have a lot of new impulse buy items that you can take that are valuable.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Germstore posted:

Half a million is enough to attract people to give you poo poo, but not enough to lay low or really avoid the bullshit.

not in my hood, yo

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

BossRighteous posted:

not in my hood, yo

so where's your hood, and how old are the locks

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chino hills winner still hasnt come forward, that ticket is lost for sure lol

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Did the Florida person come out of hiding?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Powerball winners in Florida to be revealed Wednesday
http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/16/news/powerball-jackpot-florida-winners/index.html

"The Florida Lottery is holding a press conference at its headquarters in Tallahassee. The ticket owners will be present and "details regarding the winners will be announced," a press advisory says."

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is this a perpetual thread now?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zogo posted:

Powerball winners in Florida to be revealed Wednesday
http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/16/news/powerball-jackpot-florida-winners/index.html

"The Florida Lottery is holding a press conference at its headquarters in Tallahassee. The ticket owners will be present and "details regarding the winners will be announced," a press advisory says."

Florida man/woman?
I predict a trainwreck.

cracker
May 12, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I talked to some people that go to church with the TN powerball winners. They said they quit going to church and turned into recluses within a week because of harassment and lawsuits within a week or two. Not sure if the are going to get a basketball court to compete with the other main church in town.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

cracker posted:

I talked to some people that go to church with the TN powerball winners. They said they quit going to church and turned into recluses within a week because of harassment and lawsuits within a week or two. Not sure if the are going to get a basketball court to compete with the other main church in town.

Sounds like it really changed their lives! :)

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Hahahah church is for weak rear end loving losers anyway. Why would a wealthy person pretend to follow any deity?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Just want to point out that there were as many powerball winners lats month as there were spree shooters last year, so if u think we should base r firearm rights on shooters, u probably think we should base r economic policy on winning powerball. :smug: <-share this w/ ur conservative uncle

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ork of Fiction posted:

Just want to point out that there were as many powerball winners lats month as there were spree shooters last year, so if u think we should base r firearm rights on shooters, u probably think we should base r economic policy on winning powerball. :smug: <-share this w/ ur conservative uncle

What

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Say Nothing posted:

Florida man/woman?
I predict a trainwreck.

They're 55 and 70 years old.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-winners-historic-1-58b-powerball-jackpot-revealed-n520226

He's an engineer with Northrop Grumman. I think they're going to do fine. Maybe the people in Chino Hills will be the trainwreck.

Darth123123 posted:

Is this a perpetual thread now?

Powerball is every Wednesday and Saturday night until USA ceases to exist.

naem
May 29, 2011

I won $4 dollars thanks Obama

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The couple who won the Chino Hills ticket just came forward and claimed their prize. They live a few blocks away from me.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-chino-hills-powerball-winner-steps-forward-20160719-snap-story.html

Seems they did everything right. Got a lawyer, waited until the news calmed down and already moved out and dropped off the grid before they claimed their ticket.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also Eastvale has a median household income of $115k, the highest in the Inland Empire so yall can bitch about that too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I oscillate between 'buying a lotto ticket can be some cheap entertainment/thrill' and 'the lotto is a tax on people who don't understand math' depending on my mood but in the end i think it just comes down to 'I'm trying to get this red bull before work and you're loving buying lotto tickets and scratchers for 10 minutes at the counter at 7:40am like a goddamn junkie' so imo gently caress the lotto

stump collector
May 28, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Also Eastvale has a median household income of $115k, the highest in the Inland Empire so yall can bitch about that too.

good

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

I oscillate between 'buying a lotto ticket can be some cheap entertainment/thrill' and 'the lotto is a tax on people who don't understand math' depending on my mood but in the end i think it just comes down to 'I'm trying to get this red bull before work and you're loving buying lotto tickets and scratchers for 10 minutes at the counter at 7:40am like a goddamn junkie' so imo gently caress the lotto

Same, but I vacillate.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Moridin920 posted:

I got one from the vending machine back then so I hope they enjoy the fifty cents I gave them or however much was left after everyone else got their cut

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The lottery in my state helps students pay for college, but inflation adjusted the difference between the scholarship amount and total tuition is almost the same as the pre-lottery tuition.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
id buy one if it wasnt embarassing to buy one

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

id buy one if it wasnt embarassing to buy one
It's less embarrassing than borrowing Doobie's old account

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
they'll be broke in like 5 years right? Dumbasses givin to charities on day one.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

for tax reasons it makes more sense to front load your charitable donations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My great uncle played a prank on my grandfather once, about 40 years ago. The lottery had gotten up to a few tens of millions and they and their wives threw in for about 50 tickets each on a whim. They went out the night of the drawing and didn't make it back til late. The next morning, my great uncle woke up before my grandfather, grabbed a newspaper to check the winner, and went to the local gas station to buy a ticket with the winning numbers. Then he mixed that ticket in with the ones they had bought the day before. After everyone woke up and was working their way through the tickets, my grandfather found the one with the matching numbers. My great uncle (who, each time he tells this story, exaggerates the difficulty he had in keeping a straight face a little bit more) holds off for a bit to allow him and the two ladies to celebrate, going through the list of things they'll do with the money, singing songs and drinking whiskey with them as the "win" sunk in. After about a half hour, my uncle tells them to take a look at the date on the ticket. He says that the only other time my grandfather had that particular expression on his face was on the day of their mother's death. My grandfather chased him out of the house with a gun and didn't talk to him for about a month.

I like to think this happens a few hundred times across the country every lottery cycle

• Locked thread