Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
The FAQ on the Powerball website is actually kinda funny. I guess I would be sarcastic too if I knew that every single person who emailed me is stupid because they are playing the lottery.

Powerball FAQ posted:

YOUR ODDS / PROBABILITIES ARE WRONG.
Are not. Sure, the odds of matching 1 red ball out of 26 are 1 in 26, but we are not giving the odds for matching a red ball. We give the odds for winning a prize for matching one red ball ALONE. If you match the red ball and one or more white balls, you win some other prize, but not this prize. The odds of matching one red ball ALONE are harder than 1 in 26 because there is some risk that you will also match one or more white ball numbers - and then win a different prize.
Some persons who enjoy statistics (they do really exist) will come up with odds of 1 in 17 billion for the jackpot prize. Remember that you don't need to match the numbers in exact order - we use combinations to determine the probabilities for the first five white balls and not permutations.

DO POWERBALL TICKETS EXPIRE?

Yes. The Universe is decaying and nothing lasts forever.

MY NUMBERS ARE: XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX; DID I WIN?

We can't check numbers for a million folks a week. You can check your numbers on the web site. Teach a man to fish. Please go to:

http://www.powerball.com/powerball/pb_numbers.asp

Anyway, I went to the website to look up the current odds. The odds to win Powerball are 1 in 292 million. Each ticket is 2 dollars. That means the expected value of a ticket is 1/584th of a millionth of a dollar. So, that means that if the jackpot is greater than 584 million dollars, then the expected value of a ticket is greater than its cost. So, what I'm saying is don't buy until it is over that value and then spend every cent you have because it is a sure thing :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Marvin Freeman posted:

there's a cool/depressing powerball simulator that made me never want to buy a ticket ever again. it's fun to see how much money you lose over 5 or 10 years by playing weekly.

http://powerball-simulator.com

Bwa ha ha ha this loving rules.

• Locked thread