Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Gf and i got two tickets each, one where you pick your numbers and one quick pick. We matched one white ball.

Even if it rolls over i dunno if ill bother trying on Wednesday, tonight it was kinda just a fun thing to do though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I hope someone that bought like 500 bucks worth of tickets wins it so a bunch of stupid people will think that they should have spent more.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Accretionist posted:

A trust which invests in a bunch of different mutual funds. Keep in mind that if it's all in a savings account you can be sued for it. And you would be. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon. And for the rest of your life.

People keep saying this but I don't really get it. In all the lottery horror stories cases I've seen compiled on various websites the big mistake poors who win it usually make is not understanding that they can just live a decent life off ~100k/year and instead buying like 30 million dollar mansions and 30 cars to fit in the garage for each of their friends. Some people get sued, but it's always because they tried to scrooge someone they actually owed the money to, like someone running away from an office pool or breaking up with their spouse or w/e. it's not like joe shmoe can just sue you for money he has not even the slightest rights too.

I imagine it'd kinda suck having to tell a bunch of extended friends and family you don't care about that no you're not going to give them 10 million dollars but the idea that anyone is actually gonna do something bad to you or sue you a bunch seems dumb to me. Like there are plenty of rich people out there and they get along just fine, you don't hear about bill gates going bankrupt because his classmates sued him for his money. Even if you are hit with frivolous suits you could just get really expensive lawyers and hammer anyone that tries that poo poo.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Perfect

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

yes its very confusing to me when i see everybody filling out the little cards. but, its not like i actually "play" the lottery so who am I to judge. I've bought probably 5 tickets my entire life. but seriously how does picking numbers change anything lol

hey rear end in a top hat this is what im going to do

part oaf me is worried ill win $4 for the rest of my life though and never stop buying lottery tickets
Because it's honestly just more fun that way. For saturdays and tonight's drawing my gf and I got one quick pick and one picked numbers each. I used a mathematical sequence for mine so it just seems unrealistic it would actually be right (even if it does have the same odds), so the quick pick kinda makes you feel better about that.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Meta Ridley posted:

To simplify the question a bit, instead of dealing with partial permutation combinations (pb + 5 combo), imagine if to win the jackpot you had to pick the correct number 1 - 270000000.

Let's make an assumption and say 70% of humans pick a number between 1-135000000, and the other 30% pick a number 135000001-270000000. While a true RNG will pick 1-135000000 50% of the time, and 135000001-270000000 the other 50% of the time.

It would be analogous to say a range of 1-2 (Heads/Tails), with humans picking heads 70% of the time and tails 30% of the time while the RNG Drawer picks each 50% of the time. Since tales is being neglected, with a (human vs. a true RNG competitor) vs true RNG drawer, would the true RNG competitor match more frequently?
Or does it not matter since even if the human picked heads 100% of the time, they would win 50% of the time? I think I just answered my own question and was fallaciously believing a true RNG would have the advantage over pseudo-RNG in matching a true RNG.

I was about to explain what you were missing but it seems like you got it anyways. It doesn't matter whether you pick heads or tails, given an infinite number of flips you should be right about 50% of the time. You could always pick heads, always pick tales, alternate, follow some sort of sequence, it doesn't matter you should always average out to 50% win.

Now in the case of the powerball two or more people winning the grand prize means splitting it, so if humans do typically pick lower numbers than it would change the expected value of your ticket to pick in a range that statistically had less players as it would mean you had a better chance of keeping the prize to yourself should you actually win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Is there any evidence the home invasion was actually connected to winning the lottery there? I mean its not like you can rob someone's bank account (at last not without marrying them first hue hue hue) so I doubt busting into a lotto winner's house is gonna get you too much more money than any decently well off neighborhood.

• Locked thread