Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Magnetic North posted:

The FAQ on the Powerball website is actually kinda funny. I guess I would be sarcastic too if I knew that every single person who emailed me is stupid because they are playing the lottery.

Anyway, I went to the website to look up the current odds. The odds to win Powerball are 1 in 292 million. Each ticket is 2 dollars. That means the expected value of a ticket is 1/584th of a millionth of a dollar. So, that means that if the jackpot is greater than 584 million dollars, then the expected value of a ticket is greater than its cost. So, what I'm saying is don't buy until it is over that value and then spend every cent you have because it is a sure thing :thumbsup:

the beauty of the system is that it will never get over that value because the bigger the jackpot, the more people who buy more tickets. so even if you win, the chances are you being the only winner are not great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread